Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#408449 - 01/12/10 04:19 AM Infernal tools
SteelAndStone Offline

Loc: California
This is sort of a spin-off of the "Ritual swords" thread. While reading that thread, I read a post by Techno involving the use of a spear or scepter rather than the traditional sword, and this got me thinking...

I am moving in half a year, which will require me to set up a new ritual chamber, and while I am at it I may make/obtain new ritual tools, and possibly retire an old favorite or two. I would like to hear what other people use for their ritual tools--swords, altars, chalices, elixir, clothing, or anything else, whether it's included in the Satanic Bible or not.

I am curious as to what different people find evocative, and if people choose to indulge me by replying to my thread, I may be inspired by someone else's post to try something different (as Techno's post inspired me in the ritual sword thread). Like I said, I'm moving this year, so I figure that if I'm making one change, I should be open to making more changes, to possibly incorporate new ideas.

Hail Satan! coopdevil

The Book of Steel and Stone

#408450 - 01/12/10 04:37 AM Re: Infernal tools [Re: SteelAndStone]
SteelAndStone Offline

It dawned on me that if I'm going to ask other people to list/describe their ritual tools, I should probably post my own. whistle

CLOTHING: All black--black jeans or work pants, black shirt, black dress socks, black boots. Once my Baphomet medallion arrives in the mail, I'll proudly wear that, as well.

ALTAR/RITUAL CHAMBER: Since I'm living with my (Christian) family, my ritual chamber is my bedroom. The room itself is ordinary in appearance; during ritual, I put a blue light bulb in the ceiling light and black light bulbs in my lamps; this gives me enough light to comfortably read incantations, while enhancing the atmosphere. For my altar, I use an inconspicuous movie cabinet, conveniently placed on the west wall. For the Sigil of Baphomet, I stand a copy of The Satanic Witch on the altar. (The white Baphomet on the cover shows up well in the black light.)

CANDLES: I have two black candles (with black candle holders) and one white candle (with a silver candle holder).

BELL: I used to use an old cowbell, but I disliked the sound. Now, in lieu of the bell, I scrape two blades together.

CHALICE/ELIXIR: The Elixir varies widely. When I was younger, I used anything from Mountain Dew to vanilla coffee creamer. Now that I'm old enough to buy liquor, I sometimes use that. My chalice is a glass goblet I found in a rubbish pile.

SWORD: As I mentioned in the ritual sword thread, I ground a piece of steel into an approximation of a sword. I also painted the runes for Leviathan down the length of the blade, though I'm embarrassed to admit that I got them in the wrong order. (At the time, I didn't know they went counter-clockwise, so I guessed at the order.)

PARCHMENT: Plain paper.

Since I only ritualize alone, I do not use a live altar, nor do I require a gong or any phallus except the one attached to me. Also, I have taken to using incense, which I find enhances the atmosphere of the ritual chamber, especially in conjunction with the lights.

And that's about it for my tools. jack

Edited by SteelAndStone (01/12/10 04:40 AM)
Edit Reason: I listed Chalice/Elixir twice.

#408472 - 01/12/10 12:16 PM Re: Infernal tools [Re: SteelAndStone]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
You see, in the members area we have a specific forum for these kinds of discussion.

Even down there most people are reticent to reveal the exact machinations of their magical endeavours. Most of the power of magic, for the vast majority of practicioners, is in its esotoric nature.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#408492 - 01/12/10 03:01 PM Re: Infernal tools [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
SteelAndStone Offline

I see. Thank you. jack

#408494 - 01/12/10 03:14 PM Re: Infernal tools [Re: SteelAndStone]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

The blue and black lights is actually a pretty good idea. I'd imagine that gives everything a very different tone, at least in comparison to what kind of set up is described in The Satanic Bible.

As Reverend Strongbone said, Magic is usually a private thing for Satanists. But I will say that even if you are living in a situation that makes a full-blown chamber impractical, you can still manage to create a proper ambiance. Then, of course, sometimes the best chamber is your own mind.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#408500 - 01/12/10 03:41 PM Re: Infernal tools [Re: SteelAndStone]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: SteelAndStone

CLOTHING: All black--black jeans or work pants, black shirt, black dress socks, black boots.

Damn. Your socks gotta be black too? Satan can't see those yo. You wearin' pants man.

Quote:

Since I only ritualize alone, I do not use a live altar,

What?? You ain't got a LIVE ALTAR??

If you want to impress the Dark Lord Of All Players then you gotta get you one of those man. No exceptions!

#408522 - 01/12/10 07:04 PM Re: Infernal tools [Re: Callier]
SteelAndStone Offline

Originally Posted By: Callier
Damn. Your socks gotta be black too? Satan can't see those yo. You wearin' pants man.

I figure if the dress socks are taking up space in my closet, I might as well put them to use. Besides, I don't wear pants in EVERY ritual. wink

#408526 - 01/12/10 07:21 PM Re: Infernal tools [Re: SteelAndStone]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

And, as we all know, black socks offer better protection.

Wouldn't want to get your ritual chamber pregnant and stuff.

grin

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#408545 - 01/12/10 10:35 PM Re: Infernal tools [Re: NapalmNick]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Originally Posted By: NapalmNick
And, as we all know, black socks offer better protection.

Wouldn't want to get your ritual chamber pregnant and stuff.

grin

LOL That was great!

The blue and black lights is actually a pretty good idea.

Yeah they are... I would only use candle light though. It would give me some sense of an ancient tomb-like enviroment.

Then, of course, sometimes the best chamber is your own mind.

I use that most often. Everybody is religious and paranoid. Expressing Satanism here would get me kicked out at the wrong time.

Edited by LordOfDarkness (01/12/10 10:42 PM)

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#408549 - 01/12/10 11:33 PM Re: Infernal tools [Re: NapalmNick]
fire_vixen Offline

"Then, of course, sometimes the best chamber is your own mind."

My feelings exactly. When I first started out with Satanism I followed the procedures in the Satanic Bible almost exactly, as if those were the rules that I am supposed to follow in conjuring the Devil. Now I realize there are no rules.
I don't even do rituals anymore. Why bother dressing up, setting up the chamber etc? I know that many people would like doing all these things, and find aesthetic pleasure in doing so, which is great.
But for me, the best chamber really is my mind. Save for a few props, everything is simple and casual when I do my thing.

#408550 - 01/12/10 11:43 PM Re: Infernal tools [Re: fire_vixen]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Now I realize there are no rules.

Aaahhh, you may want to rethink this. wink

...conjuring the Devil...

Are you sure you read the same book I did, ie The Satanic Bible?

Just checking. Perhaps your wording doesn't convey your thoughts properly.

Why bother dressing up, setting up the chamber etc?

Really! whistle

There is more to it than just aesthetics.

Throwing out the baby with the bathwater may not be as great as it seems. There is a reason why The Satanic Bible contains what it does. Everything there has a purpose. A careful reading of the appropriate chapters will divulge the purpose of it all.

While the format of the rituals may be adjusted and personalized, there is an underlying current, the reason for the rules, that leads to effective workings. Disregarding those rules is folly.

Even mental rituals have rules and guidelines. And it takes a well trained, disciplined mind to carry out these things.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#408552 - 01/13/10 12:01 AM Re: Infernal tools [Re: fire_vixen]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

I see where you're coming from (at least I think so), but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a full-blown ritual chamber as being merely an "aesthetic pleasure".

But that is a matter for downstairs, not here.

#408553 - 01/13/10 12:14 AM Re: Infernal tools [Re: Phineas]
fire_vixen Offline

No no, of course I didn't mean really conjuring the Devil, just a figure of speech. The Satanic Bible is clear on the issue, I understand the whole point of psychodrama.

When I was doing rituals as outlined in the Satanic Bible it was certainly a nice experience for me, but now I moved away from that. Now I kind of enjoy doing things my own way. All I can say is that what I do works for me.

Edited by fire_vixen (01/13/10 12:17 AM)
Edit Reason: error

#408554 - 01/13/10 12:20 AM Re: Infernal tools [Re: Phineas]
fire_vixen Offline

"Even mental rituals have rules and guidelines. And it takes a well trained, disciplined mind to carry out these things."

Since the rules for the mental rituals are not outlined in the SB, what are they? Or is that a topic for downstairs discussion?

#408555 - 01/13/10 12:46 AM Re: Infernal tools [Re: fire_vixen]
Drimlybunk Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
All I can say is that what I do works for me.

If it works (and it's legal) there's nothing more to know.

The Satanic Bible does an excellent job of outlining the reasons and rules for all Satanic rituals, mental or otherwise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
43879 Topics
404434 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements