Topic Options
#409237 - 01/18/10 04:16 PM A Sigil of Baphomet, in MY "Kolchak: The Nightstalker"??
Liberterius Offline

It's more likely than you think!

But anyway, I was just watching this show Kolchack, (the original true '70s one, not that horrid remake) for those of you young'ns (im mad young myself but my dad introduced me to it lol) who aren't aware it's a pretty great show; about this reporter who investigates parannormal stuff. (zombies, vampires, witches, werewolves, etc) It's mostly a comedy, and often a damn funny one, but has some rather creepy moments, and some of the episodes are quite interesting stories.
I'd reccomend checking it out.
But anyway, how this relates to the Baphomet; in this one episode, "The Devil's Platform", Kolchack investigates a politician whose rivals and opponents and mysteriously all ended up dead, and then it turns out he's made a pact with the devil for all this power and can turn into a dog and blah blah its like The Omen kinda. In one part, Kolchack is reseraching Satanism, and on the cover of one of the books is the straight-up Sigil of Baphomet!!! As in the official CoS one, in all it's copyrighted glory! I even paused at a point when it was pretty zoomed in, and it was it exactly, same hebrew letters "Leviathen" and all. I'm quite curious now actually, what this book was; we couldn't see any writing on it, so I dont think it was a real Anton LaVey book, I guess the show-makers just printed out the CoS symbol and pasted it on another book haha. Interesting though anyway with this episode, historically for me...the show is from 1974, so not quite into that '80s "satanic panic" but LaVey was quite publically active by this point I believe, and people may have seen him in the news and all.

Later in the episode we see the eeeeeeeevil satanic politicians ritual chamber in his wine cellar; his black robes have the Sigil of Baphomet, exact CoS one yet again, on the back! Of course after that nothing was really accurate to satanism at all; typical mainstraim pop-culture literal devil blah blah crap.

So, my points are:
1: it's a good show, (albiet VIOLATIING COPYRIGHT!! lol) check it out on idk, it might be on hulu or somethin'.
2: Does anyone on here that remembers the 70's have any other memorable examples of portrayls of satanism during this period, espeically in th early years of the CoS? I just find it interesting culturally. ^_^

-Liberterius

#409238 - 01/18/10 04:41 PM Re: A Sigil of Baphomet, in MY "Kolchak: The Nightstalker"?? [Re: Liberterius]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
If you go here do you recognize the exact Sigil of Baphomet used? That's the CoS page on the history and use of the Sigil of Baphomet.

Could the book have been 'A Pictorial History of Magic and the Supernatural'? It's mentioned about halfway down the page.

I read that particular book when I was a teenager and it was the only other time I'd seen the Sigil of Baphomet (albeit not the CoS copyrighted Sigil of Baphomet) other than on The Satanic Bible.

Edited by Original Sly (01/18/10 04:42 PM)

#409242 - 01/18/10 05:38 PM Re: A Sigil of Baphomet, in MY "Kolchak: The Nightstalker"?? [Re: Liberterius]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

How big was the book? It's been a while since I've watched Kolchak, but it may have been a copy of "A Pictorial History of Magic and the Supernatural" by Maurice Bessy (1964). The book (minus bookcover) has a Baphomet on the front cover.
Prevention of Virtue

#409257 - 01/18/10 06:30 PM Re: A Sigil of Baphomet, in MY "Kolchak: The Nightstalker"?? [Re: LKRice]
Liberterius Offline

Ahhhhhh thank you both of you, yes it was definitely the "real" official CoS pentagram. I have read that page on the official CoS site too, forgot to check that again. Googling the cover of "A Pictorial History of Magic and the Supernatural", yes it was definitely that, thank you! smile
The Baphomet is on the back cover, kewl, thanx guys.

Forum Stats
12085 Members
73 Forums
43861 Topics
405444 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements