Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#410175 - 01/25/10 11:39 PM Re: Time for Beauty? [Re: Bill_M]
Midnight Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Victoria, Australia
When l was living and working in Melbourne l would often pass different steet musician's in the city or at the train station. Usually if l was short of time l would only listen as l passed by but if time permitted and they were playing something classical l would stop and listen. Violin's and cello's inspire me in so many ways, l think this is why l love classical music. Some of it can sound so tragic and make you look deep inside yourself and others can be so uplifting or determined that you know you can do anything you set your mind to.

If l did stop and listen l would always put some coins in their hat, l guess in my eyes that was payment for what l listened to. The amount l paid was also in accordance to how much l enjoyed it...or didn't!

I have always loved classical music especially Mozart, then Straus, Beethoven, Handel and many more. I also love a great variety of other music such as old rock n roll, 30's to the 60's classics, alternative, goth, metal, hard rock.

When l was a young teenager and l bought a new record (vinyl) l had this rule that l would always listen to it three times in a row. The 1st time l would listen carefully to the music and the instruments they used, the 2nd time l would pay special attention to the lyric and the 3rd time l would concentrate on both together. I guess it was my music listening ritual.

A band l first heard around the same time that l first heard about Satanism is Muse. What l love about their music is how Matt Bellamy uses his voice for the lyrics and for sound to add to the music. Their music is a bit different and l love how it makes me feel although their newer stuff has become a little more commercial.

It is true that the majority of people who pass a street musician are already tuned out to what goes on around them. Keep to themselves, don't make a scene, just go along with the crowd.

Hail Satan!
Midnight

#410177 - 01/26/10 01:29 AM Re: Time for Beauty? [Re: Shade]
Nammu Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Pacific NW
If I stop to listen it is at a very safe distance and the performance warrants my attention.
Insanity seems more prevalent than talent in street performers.

Quote:
Each passerby had a quick choice to make, one familiar to commuters in any urban area where the occasional street performer is part of the cityscape: Do you stop and listen? Do you hurry past with a blend of guilt and irritation, aware of your cupidity but annoyed by the unbidden demand on your time and your wallet? Do you throw in a buck, just to be polite? Does your decision change if he's really bad? What if he's really good? Do you have time for beauty? Shouldn't you? What's the moral mathematics of the moment?

#410184 - 01/26/10 03:19 AM Re: Time for Beauty? [Re: Spelled Moon]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: In transit
Originally Posted By: Spelled Moon
Which just leaves more to perceive calmly, for me. smile

Here's more for you. smile

"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

“Up where the smoke is all billered and curled
'Tween pavement and stars is the chimney sweep world
When there's 'ardly no day nor 'ardly no night
There's things 'alf in shadow and 'alfway in light" ~ The New Christy Minstrels

#410188 - 01/26/10 04:10 AM Re: Time for Beauty? [Re: Shade]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

tiki

Beautiful. Thank you. smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
11890 Members