Topic Options
#409323 - 01/19/10 06:04 AM Crowleyanity
nob'di Offline

Woo-hoo, I have an internet connection again! devilchili

So, I was wondering if my fellow travelers of the left-hand path could answer a question that's been on my mind: is it just my personal experience, or are all Thelemites completely bat-shit insane?!

About a month ago, I had the misfortune of being introduced to one by my former roommate. We started the night siting around discussing occultism over some drinks, and we were about fifteen minutes into our meeting when me and my old roomie began to realize that esoteric gibberish seemed to be all this guy was capable of talking about! I attempted to change the topic to something more interesting: music, science fiction, philosophy, politics... but the insufferable wretch displayed little knowledge of (and no interest whatsoever) in anything concerning the real world. vomit

The man believed with every brain cell in his head (the one's that were left over from his drug addled youth) that he had a personal friendship with Horus! The zealotry with which he spoke of his invisible friend rivaled the likes of the most fundamentalist Christian fanatics. On top of that he was a hypocrite! After agreeing with me that Gardnerian Wicca is little more that white-washed sewage, he did an about-face not a minute later and starts waging his fearful finger at me when I expressed my atheistic view that gods are nothing more than archetypes and that Greater Magic is simply a means to an end.

If it hadn't been for the fact that I had been reading the Satanic Witch that week, the night would've been a total waste. All I had to do is drop names of famous occultists, employ a few choice terms that I had picked up in my days of shoveling through through hogwash before reading LaVey, and apply the right amount of flattery. In no time he was fawning over my "profound magical potential" and giving me all sorts of ritual tools and ordered books for me off of Amazon. The talismans he handed me have served as excellent decoration for my apartment! grin
He then tried to recruit me as disciple. At that point, my psychic vampire alarm started going off in my head. Shortly after the books arrived in the mail, I politely severed ties with him, citing "philosophical differences".

After that little misadventure I walked away with a much better understanding of what LaVey was talking about in his preface to TSB.

One last thing: I was wondering if any more experienced and wiser Satanists on this board could advise me as to weather 'Pacts With the Devil' by Christopher Hyatt and Jason Black is worth a read, or is it just run of the mill hocus pocus. It was ordered by the Thelemite along with two paperweights/books by Crowely.

Hail Satan!

#409329 - 01/19/10 07:38 AM Re: Crowleyanity [Re: nob'di]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
First, welcome back. I trust your recovery from substances and other life challenges continue and make you stronger each day.

Next, Q: "is it just my personal experience, or are all Thelemites completely bat-shit insane?!"
A: Definitely batshit.

Finally, have not read the book inquired about.

HS!

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#409394 - 01/19/10 03:36 PM Re: Crowleyanity [Re: nob'di]
MagisterRose Offline
CoS Magister

Quote:
I was wondering if any more experienced and wiser Satanists on this board could advise me as to weather 'Pacts With the Devil' by Christopher Hyatt and Jason Black is worth a read, or is it just run of the mill hocus pocus.

Complete crap. Don't waste your time with it.

The good die young... because they see it's no use living if you've got to be good.
John Barrymore

HARDCOVER INFERNALIA

PAPERBACK INFERNALIA

HARDCOVER KASIDAH

PAPERBACK KASIDAH

#409418 - 01/19/10 06:43 PM Re: Crowleyanity [Re: MagisterRose]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: MagisterRose
Quote:
I was wondering if any more experienced and wiser Satanists on this board could advise me as to weather 'Pacts With the Devil' by Christopher Hyatt and Jason Black is worth a read, or is it just run of the mill hocus pocus.

Complete crap. Don't waste your time with it.

Ditto.

It is idiotic garbage.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#409421 - 01/19/10 07:00 PM Re: Crowleyanity [Re: nob'di]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Autotheist

or are all Thelemites completely bat-shit insane?!

If you read the Necronomicon, you'd probably see that they are clearly insane. I think they read that book as much as The Book Of The Law by Crowley.

Then again, I could be wrong. I don't have much knowledge on thelema since it seems a bit too occultic for me.

About a month ago, I had the misfortune of being introduced to one by my former roommate. We started the night siting around discussing occultism over some drinks, and we were about fifteen minutes into our meeting when me and my old roomie began to realize that esoteric gibberish seemed to be all this guy was capable of talking about! I attempted to change the topic to something more interesting: music, science fiction, philosophy, politics... but the insufferable wretch displayed little knowledge of (and no interest whatsoever) in anything concerning the real world.

At the last bit, it seems this character you speak of has "Asperger Syndrome".

Asperger Syndrome is a mental disorder which explains people having a focus on one thing. There are many other symptoms but that is my opinion on him.

The man believed with every brain cell in his head (the one's that were left over from his drug addled youth) that he had a personal friendship with Horus! The zealotry with which he spoke of his invisible friend rivaled the likes of the most fundamentalist Christian fanatics.

Damn he sounds like a Schizophrenic!

On top of that he was a hypocrite! After agreeing with me that Gardnerian Wicca is little more that white-washed sewage, he did an about-face not a minute later and starts waging his fearful finger at me when I expressed my atheistic view that gods are nothing more than archetypes and that Greater Magic is simply a means to an end.

... Yeah that guy is going through some kind of mental struggle.

The drugs must have some effect since they have long-term damage depending on the quantity, fequency, and how many years he has taken them.

Edited by LordOfDarkness (01/19/10 07:03 PM)

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#409518 - 01/20/10 01:13 PM Re: Crowleyanity [Re: LordofDarkness]
nob'di Offline

That's interesting. My girlfriend proposed Asperger's as a possible explanation as well. I guess Asperger's and LSD really don't mix that well. zombie

All in all, this mystical nut makes me glad that I quit doing psychoactives when I did, and gives me yet another reason to never go back to them!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Hope this little diatribe wasn't a total bore.

HS!

#409543 - 01/20/10 05:19 PM Re: Crowleyanity [Re: nob'di]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
It has been a pleasure sir and have a nice day!

It wasn't a total bore to me.

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#409591 - 01/21/10 07:45 AM Re: Crowleyanity [Re: nob'di]
Eclipsed_Cosmos Offline

Loc: In a book
they are mentally messed
reason and proof
founded by drugged addled nutcase

thelemites seek to achieve their true wills
afterwords they intend to destroy their egos

end of story grade A Bull S***

edit btw Autotheist medicine and drugs have no affect on aspergers medicine/perscriptions are used to heal the depression cause by aspergers due to reduced social interraction, but yes it is possible he had the disorder, then again so could have Ozzy.

Edited by CloneHigh (01/21/10 08:02 AM)

#409784 - 01/22/10 05:40 PM Re: Crowleyanity [Re: Eclipsed_Cosmos]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
If you should ever encounter this individual again, take a hint from Dr. LaVey and slip a whoopee cushion under his seat (and take a picture of his face afterward!)

#409869 - 01/23/10 02:12 PM Re: Crowleyanity [Re: nob'di]
Pablovilla Offline

Loc: Victorville, California

One last thing: I was wondering if any more experienced and wiser Satanists on this board could advise me as to weather 'Pacts With the Devil' by Christopher Hyatt and Jason Black is worth a read, or is it just run of the mill hocus pocus. It was ordered by the Thelemite along with two paperweights/books by Crowely.

Hail Satan!

from what I seen it is a history of pacts. Not really useful...

Also I was told about people becoming more like Crowley, and going wacko back in the late 1980's as you described. It is nothing new... That is one of the reasons that Anton LaVey warned about other routes being worthless garbage that does harm. I know that Blanche could say more about that than me, and there is references to it in the books written by her and Anton.

#409890 - 01/23/10 07:06 PM Re: Crowleyanity [Re: Pablovilla]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: paul_r
That is one of the reasons that Anton LaVey warned about other routes being worthless garbage that does harm.

On that note, I think it's worth posting this link to his essay "On Occultism of the Past":

http://churchofsatan.com/Pages/LaVeyPastOccultism.html

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#410667 - 01/29/10 10:08 PM Re: Crowleyanity [Re: Bill_M]
PsychOff Offline

Browsing through the posts this caught my eye. Aleister Crowley, Free Masonry and Thelema was mentioned to me by an electronic music artist Mood Deluxe, great musician, talented and had a lot to say, and thus was a very interesting interview I had with him about what he had to say in regards to todays Electronica Dance scene. When I say interview I was directing a documentary on The Glade Electronica & Dance Festival 2008.

Anyways, the following year I bumped into him again and mentioned how re-watching his interview how it was one of the best; I then asked him where does he stand philosophically. He said to me look up Free Masonry and Thelema. So I did:

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. ... Love is the law, love under will."

Despite the frequent assumption that "Do what thou Wilt" is solely an exhortation to hedonism or licentiousness, Thelema as it was formulated by Crowley is a path of spiritual development based on seeking and putting into practice one's True Will, or destiny, the soul's Will rather than the ego's desires.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelema>

Yeah... we Satanists like our ego and desires.

Also Free Masonry is not some secret organization with a secret science to open up a human mind to god like powers as is advertised in Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. Freemasons although choose which supreme being they wish to worship, they still believe in a supernatural being.

Although Anton LaVey does mention him at times in his writings, it is clear he simply just took some of his ideas and applied them as fantasies and tools. As Bill-M's link clearly shows Anton Lavey's thoughts on Crowley. But that's not my point, my point is this:

Thelema, Free Masonry, etc seems another stab at a type of religion attempting to unite science and spirituality, citing the word God in some alternative capacity. In regards to Mood Deluxe, he makes good music and is clearly aware of the hypocrisy in faith-based religions; how far does his Thelema stretch? I don't know. As for that odd-ball you met Autotheist, yeah, I agree with everyone above: a weirdo. Not to mention he offered to buy you books, clearly trying to convert you! Don't do it!

Edited by PsychOff (01/29/10 10:09 PM)

#410670 - 01/29/10 10:38 PM Re: Crowleyanity [Re: PsychOff]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: PsychOff
Also Free Masonry is not some secret organization with a secret science to open up a human mind to god like powers as is advertised in Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol.

An accurate line which Freemasons often use to describe themselves is "Not a secret society, but a society with secrets". In other words, they're not some sort of organization that secretly controls all the banks and businesses and what not. But they are a lodge, and like most fraternal lodges they have secrets, meaning they have things that only members are allowed to know.

Though non-members would be disappointed if they found out what these sorts of secrets were. They're things like secret handshakes, old foreign words used in ritual, the meanings of symbols (e.g. "The lion in this crest represents human will"), etc. It's not so much the secret itself, but the keeping of the secret, that lends strength to the esotericism and fraternal bonding.

Quote:
Freemasons although choose which supreme being they wish to worship, they still believe in a supernatural being.

Well...the requirement is that a member believes in "a supreme being". I know a Freemason and asked him about this rule, and he said that you're just asked whether this is a "yes". He said that you could philosophically stretch the definition to include just about anything, so technically, it's possible to be an atheist who joins and happens to call nature or something like that the "supreme being".

Quote:
Thelema, Free Masonry, etc seems another stab at a type of religion attempting to unite science and spirituality,

I don't see Freemasonry necessarily doing that. Again, it's a lodge, not a religion. Lodges come about through man's need for ritual, esotericism, fraternal belonging, etc.

As for Thelemites, I've known a few and I can't say that I've had many problems with them. A criticism that seems to come up frequently though is their complaint over LaVey's use of the Enochian Keys, how they're not "correct" and what not. But as it says right in The Satanic Bible, what's presented is "an archaic but Satanically correct unvarnishing" of the Golden Dawn translation. He cut out the stupid number references and altered the translation to make something that's actually much more moving when heard.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

Forum Stats
12254 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406361 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements