Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#410715 - 01/30/10 10:47 AM Moving into the future and the new epoch
TECHNO Offline

Loc: -31.955658,115.859928
I am curious as to everyone's opinion on this so please, all points of view are welcome...

Lately I have been enthusiastically vocalizing my joy (within reason, to anyone who will listen) at the fact that in my opinion we are living in 'the future'.

Obviously I am aware of the fact that we are in fact living in the present, but if we look at almost any piece of 'science fiction' from anywhere between 10-100 years ago it could be said that many (ideas, hypothesis, fantasies) have in fact become reality.

Ok so now that I have my point of view established, I would like to express my discomfort at having to describe our current epoch with an 'abrahamic' descriptor...

I love the fact that 2010 sounds fantastically futuristic but frankly it rubs the wrong way with me, even when coupled with the 'CE' (Common Era) suffix.

While it would be lovely for XLIV to become the active descriptor, I would think that 20 000 CE (approx) would be more accurate...

Now, my question here is;

What does anyone participating in this forum think about how the next epoch of man will be referenced in time and calendars?

Do people here believe that in another hundred years, time will still be reference by abrahamic/judeo/christian constraints?

If so, why?

If not, how do you imagine that society will mark the passing of years?

#410724 - 01/30/10 12:44 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: TECHNO]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
"The millennium: The death of rock 'n' roll."

#410740 - 01/30/10 02:49 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: M.D. Roche]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: MALFORM
"The millennium: The death of rock 'n' roll."

The death of music period.
That God awful "Shots" song by LMFAO is up for a Grammy.
Lady GaGa rules the world.
Nearly 90% of the music in ALL genres (aside from country which is now just pop/rock rejects+a steel guitar) use Auto-Tune.
Yeah,music pretty much blows it from the back these days.
You have to search the past to find something good.

And now some semantics!
Present is technically a single instant in a measurement of time.By the time you've said something it has already become the past.The present is just a threshold that once you go over it,you are in either future or past. . .

(that was somewhat of a joke,just in case I didn't illustrate that very well)

#410742 - 01/30/10 03:25 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: ArtAche86]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
Originally Posted By: ArtAche86

I don't know, I find some of her songs rather catchy. I'm convinced pop music was designed by scientists (or magicians) to attach itself to the minds of anyone who hears it, like some kind of parasite. The songs never seem to get out of your head until you buy the album and listen to it over and over again, or until you put a drill through your brain, Pi style. I prefer the latter.

Edited by MALFORM (01/30/10 03:28 PM)
Edit Reason: Let's have some fun, this beat is sick--I wanna take a ride on your disco stick!

#410743 - 01/30/10 03:33 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: TECHNO]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

I am not the least bit blase or jaded about the astounding technological advances I read about every single day now.

They're coming so thick and fast that I live in a state of continual wonder and amazement. People who take all this for granted as "so what?", are possessed of a mind state so dull and dead I simply cannot grasp it.

I mention regularly to assorted people in my life, exactly what you have said, in pretty much the same way using the same words: "we are living in the future". And yes. "2010" as the year still has an unreal feeling to it... It feels like "the future" in every way.

Except for one.

Human nature, as evidenced by my daily interactions with others, and as evidenced by every news story, is exactly as it was when Aristotle nailed it thousands of years ago.

Zero change there.

What will be fascinating to watch unfold will be the intersection of an essentially Bronze Age mindset using uber-futuristic tools and toys...

#410744 - 01/30/10 04:21 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: TECHNO]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
In a far future our times will be known as "The Era of Bullshit".

The time where Technology democratized communications to the point EVERYONE could express his opinion and position to millions, regardless of qualification.

In the past, a small minority controlled the spread of information and ideas. It was too hard for the average simpleton to find more than a dozen people who would listen to his drivel.

Now that is gone. Any moron with the right hardware can obtain the same level of attention than your traditional news organization.

The concept of “qualifications” and “experience” have disappeared. Anyone can stand on the soapbox and scream to the world and his uneducated opinion will have the same weight than the opinion of a scholar who spent half a life studding the topic.

In a sort of counter-evolution, the dumbest and more entertaining ideas will find receptive listeners and the informed but boring information will be drown in a sea of trivial, useless data.

As data is manipulated, the respect for original creation will be lost. The mediocre would feel entitled to the right to edit and modify the work of previous generations. They will claim to be updating the masterpieces of the past to make them accessible to the public of the new Era.

The works of Shakespeare and Goethe’ would be translated to Netspeak and/or the vulgar gutter talk of the streets. The Mona Lisa will be re-rendered in 3D, made spin and sing to your favorite personalized soundtrack. Lolcats will appear in the background of Ruben’s and Rembrandt’s paintings. If someone finds his offensive, his voice will be silenced by the overwhelming majority of drones who welcomed the “improvement” when if flashed for a fraction of a second on theirs screens, among the swirl of million other visual and audible stimuli that barely keeps their brains awake.

The whole cultural inheritance of Mankind will slowly dilute to nothing, drowning into a vast sea of irrelevant memes and two-paragraph essays.

So we will reach the point when EVERYBODY can say anything… but nobody has ANYTHING to say.

Edited by Daark (01/30/10 11:16 PM)
Edit Reason: Dammit pig, proofread your spelling! ;-)

#410749 - 01/30/10 06:24 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: Old_Pig]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Old_Pig

So we will reach the point when EVERYBODY can say anything… but nobody has ANYTHING to say.

Youtube. . .enough said.

As for technological advancements and living in the "future",I have this to say:
I can remember playing "Donkey Kong Country" on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) and thinking it could never get any better.
I can remember leaving the controller on the floor to enjoy the computer using the WIN95 OS.
Then came the Playstation,with its beautiful (somewhat squared) 3-dimensional graphics,completely MINDBLOWN.This technology couldn't have gotten any better in the next 5 years. . .could it?
Windows 98,ME,XP,etc.
PS2,Xbox,Xbox360,PS3. . .

We are advancing so fast it's hard to keep up.I can remember the Nokia phones,and now we have the IPhone!

People are practically spending their entire days living in the virutal world.Some people even feel the need to share every bowel movement on "Twitter".

As we advance further in the world of technology,and the population finds itsself there as well,we find ourselves in an ever evolving virtual world.Just like the organic world before it,with its skyscrapers and advancements,the idiots flock too its biggest achievements.

It's a double edged sword,yes.At least in this world we have the WONDERFUL luxury of a block,and even better a DELETE button!!!
In the organic world we can ignore people and their blind ignorance.But in the virtual world,we can more easily avoid them. . .

I love the world we live in now.I'm only twenty-three years old and I already have "Back in my day" moments prepared for my soon-to-be two year old son.

All Hail the Future and the Now!Let us not forget the past. . .

#410752 - 01/30/10 06:50 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: ArtAche86]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
The death of music period.
That God awful "Shots" song by LMFAO is up for a Grammy.
Nearly 90% of the music in ALL genres (aside from country which is now just pop/rock rejects+a steel guitar) use Auto-Tune.
Yeah,music pretty much blows it from the back these days.
You have to search the past to find something good.

At least Lady Gaga is original. Not to mention all of her songs are ten times better than any Britney Spears crap, or any other pop "star" for that matter.

Auto-tune was invented for a pragmatic use, and since it has been abused like no other. The idea is to "round off the edges" of vocal tracks, not make you sound like a fucking robot. T-Pain is probably the most famous example of this shit. But I really don't care. If someone can manage to use Auto-tune without me noticing, kudos to them.

While the past certainly does have a shit ton of great music, it is just plain ignorant to say there is no good music today. If you searched long enough you'd find quite a few gems. Last year Cannibal Corpse released their greatest album to date, Jack White formed a new band called The Dead Weather that are already in the works of a second album, The Mars Volta, plus a whole myriad of other bands/artists you've never heard of before.

As for the future, we are most definitely living in it. Our growth is out-running our imagination. There will be a time, very soon, where it will be hard to tell if reality is mimicking art, or if art is mimicking reality. And of course the two love to intersect ever so often.

Automatic doors, cell phones, and MRI's would not exist if it weren't for the inspiration of Star Trek. What will we think up next? wink

Human nature, I am sure, will more or less stay the same for many many years to come. The only way I can see any significant shift from "greed/instinct" to "intelligence/thoughtfulness" is if in the act of colonizing space we somehow manage to shift the population ratios; from a majority of idiots to a majority of individual thinkers who are able to intellectualize the vital importance of mutual admiration and growth.

Until then our species will remain a bloody cluster-fuck.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#410763 - 01/30/10 08:38 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: NapalmNick]
PsychOff Offline

I enjoyed Old_Pig's and NapalmNick's replies on here, I know what they mean. A bit dreary and pessimistic however, no offense, so I'll try keep my reply fun and optimistic.^^

In regards to timelines, epochs and ages. There is quite a lot of info about it having did a quick wiki and google. We are currently in the Information Age of the Post-Modern Era. I myself have personally questioned a different global calender as opposed to the current Gregorian calender which has opted for the origin to be Jesus Christ's birth... booooring. At first I imagined starting from the release date of Charles Darwin's book The Origin Of Species by Natural Selection. That be kind of cool, but it's too early. There have been many global events over the course of recorded history all deserving of recognition to be applied to a modern global calender (I mean like sciences and discoveries, not wars and conquering).

In regards to Anno Satanas, I kind of think that's just for us, don't particularly want to share that with anyone else. But to answer your two questions TECHNO, for your second I think we will still have the gregorian calender for quite some time still, but I think we are getting closer to inventing a new timeline origin for the global calender in comparison to becoming more distant and detached of the Common Era origin.

Sorry for reversing your questions, it's late, but to answer your first: How will our next epoch/age be referenced as? From the Information Age I reckon realistically we may possibly move into something to do with China maybe? A new Space Age (Planetary Age?) We only landed on the Moon so far and many countries are talking of landing humans on Mars around 2050, that seems plausible. Hydrogen technology (hydrogen automobiles and from there hydrogen aviation)? I'm not a tree hugger and love a good 500+ horse power sports car as much as the next guy but Hydrogen fuel is cool!

Looking at a list of the past dozen recent Ages, they seem to jump between times of Art, War and Sciences. Hopefully it won't be a World War III, but I have a feeling that (optimistically) we will notice our over-obsession with the meanderings of our Twitter Age we will fuse back to some kind of tangible Art form? *Muse*

On a fun level, in regards to The Future, what is in our imaginations but hasn't been viably made or invented yet or still being researched and tested for new answers and discoveries: Nano Technology (Nanotech Age), Water cities (Oceanic Age), Regenerative medicine and Stem Cell (Regen Age), Quantum computers and hydron collider (Quantum Age).

Do I feel we are in the future, I would certainly place myself as a futurist and one who looks forward to what the future has in store for us, and what we have in store for it. Clearly I probably won't see it in my lifetime but at least I can see my own future and make it feel and be futuristic.

We live in a very exciting and pivotal time I think where so many new emerging ideas still too young to have fully matured in peoples minds for the moral zeitgeist to proceed: Natural Selection, Fractals, Quantum Physics, Medicine. I know there is a lot of shit that runs parallel with it (the herd), yes, but I see the glass half full and NOT blindingly expecting it on faith and hope, expecting the entire huamn race to join hands and move! But acknowledging the individuals with merit of sciences and arts of our time.

Anyways... those are my opinions TECHNO... fun topic.^^

#410764 - 01/30/10 08:38 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: TECHNO]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
I think this will be called the dawn of the digital era. They'll most likely pinpoint it at 2000, because historians like things that end in zeros. But as the Industrial Revolution was only the preface to the industrial era, the iPads and intermajigs that seem so amazing today are just an experiment, a flirtation with the potential of borgification and blogging. Whatever überVRML like state the world is going to be for the next millenium, this is a glimpse at it but by no means the fruition of it.

In a sense, this is the most interesting time a human being can live in. Like the beginning of the industrial or stone or bronze age or renaissance- We get to see all the things that will be, but also the things that won't quite make it. The e-versions of 50 winged airplanes or radium baby bottles.

See "Gizmo".

#410768 - 01/30/10 09:12 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: TECHNO]
Lust Offline

"Do people here believe that in another hundred years, time will still be reference by abrahamic/judeo/christian constraints?"

Depends on who is in power and who is concerned with it at that time.

"If so, why?"

Because might is right!
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#410773 - 01/30/10 09:57 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: ArtAche86]
TECHNO Offline

LOL, no I get it your joke and found it quite amusing

#410776 - 01/30/10 10:43 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: Old_Pig]
TECHNO Offline

In the past, a small minority controlled the spread of information and ideas. It was too hard for the average simpleton to find more than a dozen people who would listen to his drivel...

...Now that is gone. Any moron with the right hardware can obtain the same level of attention than your traditional news organization.

In a sort of counter-evolution, the dumbest and more entertaining ideas will find receptive listeners and the informed but boring information will be drown in a sea of trivial, useless data.

That is true but I'd say it is the lesser of two evils if we consider that the other option is state and corporate controlled media.

At least intelligent and enlightened individuals have the right to seek out and share information and opinions (in the west at least) without being forced to accept only what those in power choose to disseminate.

I'd rather sift through the mud to feast on the occasional truffle that be forced to have shit shoved down my throat all day.

#410779 - 01/30/10 11:20 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: Old_Pig]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
The time where Technology democratized communications to the point EVERYONE could express his opinion and position to millions, regardless of qualification.

In the past, a small minority controlled the spread of information and ideas. It was too hard for the average simpleton to find more than a dozen people who would listen to his drivel.

Now that is gone. Any moron with the right hardware can obtain the same level of attention than your traditional news organization.

The concept of “qualifications” and “experience” have disappeared. Anyone can stand on the soapbox and scream to the world and his uneducated opinion will have the same weight than the opinion of a scholar who spent half a life studding the topic.

It seems this way at first glance; however I’ve noticed that stratification is still alive and well even in these “technology democratized” times. While it’s true that everyone now has a voice, that is not enough to really count for anything. For it to really matter, you need more than a voice; you need for people to listen to you. And to have any significant number of people listen to you, for any length of time that would matter, is still very challenging. While it's true that the occasional idiot gets lucky and has his five minutes of fame, (and this kind of thing was happening long before the existence of current information technology) people still have a tendency to give their attention to people who actually have something to say. Even though the average simpleton can find more than a dozen people to listen to them now, the number of people necessary for it to matter has grown as well. The whole “game” is bigger now.

I would argue that this new information technology has helped with stratification because it’s easier to compare everyone as they scream from their soapboxes. There is still in element of “credibility” in regards to obtaining long-term viewership of any kind.

I also think that communication technology is bound to get more centralized as time goes on. Things have been a little bit like the Wild West for a few years now and of course the irresponsible idiots out there love it. But I think that will (and is) beginning to change. The savvier, more intelligent and more ambitious individuals and organizations out there will find a way to accumulate more power over this landscape of information and ideas as they always do. Where there are people to be influenced, where there is money to be made and power to be had, there can be no equality. Nothing even close to it. The principles of Darwinism will apply to information technology just as it does to everything else, much to the dismay of the mediocre masses who believe that they have a right to a “voice”.

Just like in times past, the real issue has never been having a voice or the ability to communicate something; the challenge has always been to get a willing audience. And it’s always the individuals or organizations who have the most money, power or who are the best promoters, who are able to do that. This new information technology has just made for a much larger game with many more players. It hasn’t changed the rules.

#410781 - 01/31/10 12:01 AM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: TECHNO]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Originally Posted By: TECHNO
In the past, a small minority controlled the spread of information and ideas. It was too hard for the average simpleton to find more than a dozen people who would listen to his drivel...

...Now that is gone. Any moron with the right hardware can obtain the same level of attention than your traditional news organization.

That is true but I'd say it is the lesser of two evils if we consider that the other option is state and corporate controlled media.

Says who?

Tell me why, in your opinion, the alternative to today's mediocre and populist media has to be a "state and corporate controlled" one.

Also, how do you know the kind of media we have right now is not ALREADY "state and corporate controlled"?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12163 Members
73 Forums
43922 Topics
405749 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements