Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#410906 - 02/01/10 11:30 AM Re: Hi. Here are my testicles. I don't need them. [Re: John Prophet]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: John Prophet

With enough ambition, a person can encounter an endless procession of opportunities for problem solving. There’s always more to have, do and become. But people just want to deal with dumb, unproductive problems so that they can maintain their complacency and still be stimulated by their “problem solving”; as their biology dictates.

A person can decide to “stay hungry”, regardless of how much they get. It’s just that most people don’t.

I do not think many have the self-awareness to do that.
Remember, even someone with an IQ of 100-114 is considered "higher average". zombie

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#410907 - 02/01/10 11:33 AM Re: Hi. Here are my testicles. I don't need them. [Re: Skjalandir]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Loc: Florida
Do to overwhelming number of people who feel the need to share their problems with me there's a joke among my friends that we need to write a book on "How to Talk to a Satanist". I really thought it was a side effect of my personality that made them want to open up to me. Now I see it's the struggle for the Woe-Is-Me badge.

Why the need for sympathy? The feeling of being owed something you didn't earn will lead the flock to think they're entitled to subject the world to suffer with them. Misery loves company, if anyone agrees with them they feel they're in the right and get the sympathy the crave. It's a play on compassion that allows Psychic Vampires to feed.

The internet doesn't help but a lot more of the folly comes down to respect and personal responsibility. In my travels I have found such complaints tend to occur more within cities where people have everything right a their finger tips. Kids in school need cell phones and game boys from signal parent homes with guilty parents. Both parent and child raised on this guilt look for hand outs to thrive. This leads to a trend/trait that has them looking for that hand out through the guilt of those around them who supply sympathy.The line "don't be too nice or people will take advantage of you" comes to mind.

Roho is right, People without problems tend to complain more because the brain needs something to do. In their views they feel if you agree or give them "a bone" you validate there belief that somethings wrong. I find people who have real problems and have suffered hard ships don't talk about it.
People who make a living complaining are a waste of time no amount of well, anything will make these people happy.

I think it was here I read the line "Ignore them and they will go away because all they want is attention."

Yes! I'm sorry the world is pussified it's what come from years of dumbing down America and pacifying the masses.

I recommend you hang on to your big balls your going to need them because stupid people are dangerous in large groups.

#410913 - 02/01/10 11:58 AM Re: Hi. Here are my testicles. I don't need them. [Re: Skjalandir]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Skjalandir

All of these things had been confessed to me at ONE social gathering. I came away not knowing what anyoneís talents were, what they enjoyed in life, and I didnít learn a damn thing apart from people are becoming pussys.

I can see from your location setting that you are in Norway, if you haven't already looked it up, check out Axel Sandemose and the "Jantelov".

Often associated with Denmark I think it originated in Norway. Rule number one is "Don't think you're worth anything" ... and for laughs - we Danes often think of Norwegians as being too proud of themselves, so you can imagine what this place is like smile

I think one of the reasons for the behaviour you describe is the negative side of the nanny state/welfare society built by the "Scandinavian model". It is often profitable to have something wrong with you, so people are encouraged to find a suitable victim role. Which is also why American values are frowned upon.

Hope the moderators don't find that I'm getting too political here. I'm not really trying to push any political agenda, it's more making observations on national character.

#410915 - 02/01/10 12:12 PM Re: Hi. Here are my testicles. I don't need them. [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

You know...there could be some interesting conversation here about the effect of progress on the psyche. We are talking about people who, perhaps because of progress, have the luxury to find trivial things to complain about. Does progress take a toll on people?

I am reminded of two movements that developed almost simultaneously, that formulated during a period of great progress. Those movements were the Romantics, and their view of nature and the Decadents and their view of artiface. I have, for some time, been stricken with the similarities of the decadents and Anton LaVey's views on artificial human companionship.

Either one of the above mentioned impulses can often be seen as a result of modernity and its ancillary symptom...stress. One is a retreat from modernity into nature; the other, a retreat through technology. Both seem to be, to me, a neurotic reaction to progress. Being able to get what you want with relative ease can be, oddly enough, stressful. Most people are neurotic. I know people exactly like the original post's description. When things are going well, they fall apart, and come up with a litany of what may go wrong. They simply cannot handle the stress.

#410916 - 02/01/10 12:13 PM Re: Hi. Here are my testicles. I don't need them. [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:
I suspect that people in developed countries don't have enough problems. Seriously. Our brains have evolved to help us survive. You know...find food, shelter...solve problems. Again...the human brain evolved to SOLVE PROBLEMS. We've over-nerfed everything, but the brain still wants to do what it is supposed to do...solve problems. So, it manufactures them.

Thank god I don't have to build a shelter. I have REAL problems, like "What does Kant mean by 'original apperception' and how is it relevant to the pursuit of scientific knowledge?", etc.

#410917 - 02/01/10 12:15 PM Re: Hi. Here are my testicles. I don't need them. [Re: reprobate]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: reprobate

Thank god I don't have to build a shelter. I have REAL problems, like "What does Kant mean by 'original apperception' and how is it relevant to the pursuit of scientific knowledge?", etc.

Damn! I'm still at "What happens to the light when i close the fridge door?" laugh

#410922 - 02/01/10 01:09 PM Just trade up. [Re: Skjalandir]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Sounds to me as though you need to trade up in your social circles.

It also sounds to me as though you have already realized this.

Stratification begins at home.

#410924 - 02/01/10 01:26 PM Re: Hi. Here are my testicles. I don't need them. [Re: Shade]
Skjalandir Offline

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: Shade
Goddamn I love the way you write.

In that case I may start a blog. I have real problems too which need to be read about; why just today I put my hand in a basket to grab my gloves and a hiding cat took it as an invasion of itís privacy and defended itís territory tooth and nail.

Originally Posted By: Shade
They make themselves exploitable.

Well this is why on the flip side it is almost a benifit to a Satanist. They've made the game even easier. I've never had so much to use from a lesser magic point of view. Without much effort at all I was recieving toasts for being such a nice chap, invited to this and encouraged to do that. I still do not think their company outweighs being an agony aunt, though. Maybe if I were on chat show host's wage...
Frighten everybody shitless
- Ian Dury

#410925 - 02/01/10 01:27 PM Re: Just trade up. [Re: Nemo]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Nemo
Sounds to me as though you need to trade up in your social circles.

It also sounds to me as though you have already realized this.

Stratification begins at home.

Sir...you are going to HAVE to learn to use a lot of words to say nothing. You're beginning to stick out! grin wink

#410927 - 02/01/10 01:33 PM Re: Hi. Here are my testicles. I don't need them. [Re: Skjalandir]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Lucky me, everyone I converse with on a daily basis is all about money and success.

People that know me know not to come to me with their "shit".

If you ain't talking money then frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!

#410928 - 02/01/10 01:39 PM Re: Just trade up. [Re: Nemo]
Skjalandir Offline

Of course, I agree. Being new to the country I had to take a plunge, and in fact did come out of it with a couple of real gems to spend time with. It had been quite a while since I had need of social interaction, and I think the shock of it all is what caused me so much discomfort.
- Ian Dury

#410929 - 02/01/10 01:43 PM Re: Just trade up. [Re: Skjalandir]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Your filters are clearly in place.

Finding worthwhile social contacts is like panning for gold.

Much of the dross gets tossed back into the stream.

#410932 - 02/01/10 02:07 PM Re: Hi. Here are my testicles. I don't need them. [Re: verszou]
Skjalandir Offline

Originally Posted By: verszou
check out Axel Sandemose and the "Jantelov".

I haven't, but I will be sure to get it! It seems very interesting.

Well your view is in line with some of the conversations I've had here, and I think I will get back to you on that one when I have had a few more months here and have more of a clue what I am talking about via PM. I've only had experience with individuals in a farming community, and I know more about cows than I do the "Scandinavian model". whistle
- Ian Dury

#410934 - 02/01/10 02:56 PM Re: Hi. Here are my testicles. I don't need them. [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Loc: Florida
Yes, Roho, I too am lead to think progress and the rate at which we as people handle progress is the cause of such a neuroses, like stress and myriad of new found psychological disorders.

I recall a book written in the 70's call Future Shock, it's the sociological view of how the advancement of society affects the adaption of the individual. It puts in to perspective that we as a society are clueless about how we adapt to the ever changing world around us. Like my Grandmother being 80 can't operate the internet. While still other elders of similar age get absorbed in to it. True they still call for help finding their email but they learned to operate it.

It would lead one to think intelligence, the willingness to learn, and the desire to learn must be prevalent to adapt. Leading to the root cause of "Progress Stress"? The inability to think (your way out of/or around the situation)?
In fact most people don't think they're just seeking escapism like ostriches with there heads in the sand or linked to the internet hoping it'll all blow over.

I see the raise of the "New Age" movement as similar to grasping at straws in comparison to such Renaissance as the romantic age of reason. None-the-less children revolt to force society to iron out flaws in the system, and they invent new drugs to control us. Wa-la we have "ADHD" drooling masses clambering for hand outs.

Be it nature or technology the masses who can't adapt seek escapism. They get absorbed in to the system with a litany of well rehearsed excuses as to why they can't adapt/coup.

Though I can't say if the stress of having things be to easy is what causes their need to complain. I can say having things easy makes them weak, perhaps to weak to adapt because the brain has been caught in a negative loop for so long all it can muster as a problem solving technique is to cling to what it's most comfortable with, never letting in new information and shutting down.

I wonder if the real issue is the inability or unwillingness to learn? I wonder if that's even possible? I find it hard to believe this is the root cause because that's what the brain does it learns and stores information but then again I suppose that's ignorance? Here's an example.

Stress in it's self is just an emotion we feel when over whelmed, harmless enough, but the stress we cause our selves through the lack of understanding combined with the inability to learn about new things, like stem cell research, leads to the flaw in people's ability to adapt to it. The stress of the subject shuts the brain down in some people triggering the fight/flight response and not reason.

The complainers of the world will never be happy no matter how easy life is. Their stress is internal and no matter what side of the fence there on, be it nature or technology it is progress base because they can't keep up. Evolution over looks them because their dead set on not changing.

I do hope I kept this on point, I love pondering the workings the human mind.

P.S. The light in the fridge turns off when the door closes. A marvel of modern technology most people take for granted.

#410937 - 02/01/10 03:25 PM Re: Hi. Here are my testicles. I don't need them. [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: I'mPerfecting

P.S. The light in the fridge turns off when the door closes. A marvel of modern technology most people take for granted.

You should have wrote "spoiler alert". Now the mystery is gone. wink

I think you hit the nail on the head when you wrote many are unable/unwilling to adapt. This is part of what we call "street smarts".

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43978 Topics
406024 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements