Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#411180 - 02/04/10 11:22 AM The government has your baby's DNA
MissMina1556 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA

#411182 - 02/04/10 12:00 PM Re: The government has your baby's DNA [Re: MissMina1556]
Lust Offline

This certainly would make it easier for cloning too. "Dad needs a new heart. Why did Grandma request his DNA sample be destroyed?"
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#411187 - 02/04/10 12:59 PM Re: The government has your baby's DNA [Re: Lust]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Yeah this is old news,and I wonder when exactly people are going to come to the realization that the government can do whatever the hell it wants to.

I think they've demonstrated that point very well.

I don't really mind newborn screening.DNA could be picked up by the government if they really wanted it,and I highly doubt my children are THAT important in the govt's mind.

I hope they use it for criminal investigations in the future,so much so that it sets a new precedent for criminals to be afraid of.

Not endorsing this,by any means. Do I trust the government?NO.Never.Not this one,and not any time soon.

#411191 - 02/04/10 01:49 PM Re: The government has your baby's DNA [Re: ArtAche86]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
My gut reaction would be to proclaim "THEY'VE CROSSED THE LINE!", but the sad thing is they crossed that line a long time ago.

#411199 - 02/04/10 04:03 PM Re: The government has your baby's DNA [Re: MissMina1556]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Good for them. If it's something that helps solve future crimes, more power to them. If it's something that might help cure diseases in the future, more power to them.
Prevention of Virtue

#411206 - 02/04/10 05:16 PM Re: The government has your baby's DNA [Re: MissMina1556]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

OK, as much of a pain in the ass big government can be, this is really not such a big deal. Nearly ninety percent of any given individual's genome is identical to that of every other human. Storing such valuable genetic information can (and most likely will) be a medical goldmine.

Quote:
Why do they need to store my baby's DNA indefinitely? Something on there could affect her ability to get a job later on, or get health insurance.

Job? No. It is against United States Federal Law to discriminate concerning employment in regards to medical conditions. There are obvious exceptions like H1N1 and TB, but those will have become a problem long before applying for a job.

Health insurance? Possibly. If American health insurance becomes fully integrated with government-run programs it is almost certain. This is the only bad thing I can say about this.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#411209 - 02/04/10 05:53 PM Re: The government has your baby's DNA [Re: NapalmNick]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
A thought just occurred to me:

Uncle Sam doesn't like to play with stem cells because of absurd moral dilemmas, yet he's taking DNA from newborn babies without the parents' consent.

This is why I hate politics.

#411211 - 02/04/10 06:01 PM Re: The government has your baby's DNA [Re: M.D. Roche]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
This is why I love politics wink

#411217 - 02/04/10 06:56 PM Re: The government has your baby's DNA [Re: M.D. Roche]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

OK, let me explain something to you. Republicans cater to "conservative" America. This means social conservative issues as well. Which would include moral issues against stem cells. So they put that on their bill regardless of how they personally feel about it. Why?

Because it gets them votes.

President George W. Bush is what most mainstream political pundits on both sides would call a conservative. By his social rhetoric, sure. The Bible Belt loved him because he was a God-fearing, gay hating leader who wanted to end all stem cell research. And Prop 8 was trashed in California the day AFTER Obama was elected.

Bush didn't do much in the way of conservatism at all. In fact, his massive government spending puts him as one of the biggest liberals in American history.

It's all talk.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#411221 - 02/04/10 08:14 PM Re: The government has your baby's DNA [Re: NapalmNick]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: NapalmNick
Quote:
Why do they need to store my baby's DNA indefinitely? Something on there could affect her ability to get a job later on, or get health insurance.

Job? No. It is against United States Federal Law to discriminate concerning employment in regards to medical conditions.

"It's only illegal if you get caught"

If the last eight years have taught you anything about the Untited(laughable)States government,it's this:
They can do whatever the hell they want to.
Laws are just words on paper,and until they have cameras all over the country,making damn sure employers don't discriminate,they will continue to discriminate accordingly.

I've worked at an Oil Investment company that "hires niggers every once in a while,so we don't get in trouble. We fire 'em bouta' week later.hehe."

That's a direct quote.And they get away with it every day.I even tried calling certain agencies about it.Nothing was done.

"You aren't allowed to sell oil to blacks.If they pick up the phone and sound black or they're a woman,hang up." "Why don't we give books to black people?" "Black people don't write checks."

I'm sure you had the purest intentions in mind when you said the above,but a big part of being a Satainst is not seeing some whitewashed vision of the world,but seeing it for what it is.These things happen every day,all across the country.To say they don't,is an absolute act of denial.

All we can do is do everything we can to not just lay here and take it. . .
Hail Satan!

#411225 - 02/04/10 08:38 PM Re: The government has your baby's DNA [Re: ArtAche86]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
"It's only illegal if you get caught"

This phrase is invariably uttered by those who are themselves criminal dick heads. You put it in quotes, so understand I'm not implying that you were speaking out of personal experience.

The fact is, it's illegal period. I'll concede that most laws are reactionary. Also, I specified Federal government. You cited something on a local level. With the proper evidence employers will get slammed like there's no tomorrow for shit like that. I've witnessed it first hand. A manager who'd been working for the company loyally for over twenty years got fired on the spot after HR concluded it was possible she fired someone based on race. Granted, said company works very closely to the Federal government, but I think you get my point.

As for the government being able to do "whatever it wants": get real. That's anarchist rhetoric if I ever heard it, and it's only true in places like China and Iran. Sure, the United States is a republic (i.e. not a direct democracy, an indirect one) but just because President Obama wants people to be PC-mouthed and dance the funky chicken doesn't mean it's going to happen tomorrow. Checks and Balances still exist.

Only about 10% of your genome (all of you chromosomes which contain ALL of your genetic makeup) is unique to you. I'd imagine however there were similar disputes when fingerprinting first began. Same deal. Only this one has immense potential for medical breakthroughs.

#411250 - 02/05/10 12:32 AM Re: The government has your baby's DNA [Re: NapalmNick]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
I didn't know this was happening until now... Normally, I wouldn't focus that much on the government unless it's a big issue in my neighborhood or maybe a national emergency.

I just have too much fun entertaining myself. coopdevil

I say this is quite unnecessary on a personal level.

I agree though on the government having freedom to do whatever pleases them. Did the people assign those in power to their current position? Would this make the government independent if there isn't much activity from the people as far as politics are concerned?

If anything they do would be considered unconstitutional, then everyone has the ability to protest such acts.

There isn't alot of political activity from the people unless you consider a decent quantity of individuals in one place in every city or capital as sufficient.

Edited by LordOfDarkness (02/05/10 12:45 AM)

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#411252 - 02/05/10 12:38 AM Re: The government has your baby's DNA [Re: ArtAche86]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

...a big part of being a Satainst is not seeing some whitewashed vision of the world,but seeing it for what it is.

Another big part of being a Satanist is not accepting anecdotes at face value, and basing conclusions on demonstrable evidence, not just hearsay. wink

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#411261 - 02/05/10 03:52 AM Re: The government has your baby's DNA [Re: ArtAche86]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: ArtAche86

If the last eight years have taught you anything about the Untited(laughable)States government,it's this:
They can do whatever the hell they want to.
Laws are just words on paper,and until they have cameras all over the country,making damn sure employers don't discriminate,they will continue to discriminate accordingly.

While some of that is true, I think you just skipped from “government” to “private industry” in the course of one sentence. Just because the government has a piece of information, does not mean that employers will be able to get their hands on it.

You may be getting two different versions of “ The Man ”, mixed up. wink

Edited by John Prophet (02/05/10 03:59 AM)

#411271 - 02/05/10 06:50 AM Re: The government has your baby's DNA [Re: MissMina1556]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I think information management/privacy protection/security is the key issue for me. Usually is with medical records; the potential for misuse and human/computer error exists. Information like this could be valuable and I think if there's a way to capitalize on something, people will find it.

So I can certainly understand the misgivings. It has nothing to do with "if you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about". I just don't like feeling vulnerable or exposed. Who does? But that may be the world we live in.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43977 Topics
406020 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements