Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#410834 - 01/31/10 06:54 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: Quaark]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Yeah I know. I guess I don't have patience, I can't wait for some natural (or artificial) fail-safe to spring into action and reduce human population back to (hopefully) pre-industrial age levels.

I can't help to get annoyed. They keep bumping into me all the time. I should move to the pop of a mountain or something.

#410836 - 01/31/10 07:00 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: Old_Pig]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Most of the Western US has TONS of space to get WAY the fuck away from people.

The issue is planning your shopping trips carefully enough!!!!

"Goddamit, now I have a 50 mile round trip to get one fucking 9 volt battery?!?!"

grin

The thermal conductivity of helium II is greater than that of any other known substance, a million times that of helium I and hundred of times that of copper. This is because heat conduction occurs via a quantum mechanism.

Second sound is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which heat transfer occurs by wave-like motion, rather than by the usual mechanism of diffusion. Heat takes the place of pressure in normal sound waves. This leads to very high thermal conductivity. It's known as "second sound" because the wave motion of heat is similar to the propagation of sound in air.

Sound waves are fluctuations in the density of molecules in a substance; second sound waves are fluctuations in the density of phonons. Second sound can be observed in any system in which most phonon-phonon collisions conserve momentum. This occurs in superfluids and in dielectric crystals when Umklapp scattering is small.

#410839 - 01/31/10 07:54 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: Quaark]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Originally Posted By: Daark
Most of the Western US has TONS of space to get WAY the fuck away from people.

The issue is planning your shopping trips carefully enough!!!!

"Goddamit, now I have a 50 mile round trip to get one fucking 9 volt battery?!?!"

grin

Oh, when I finally find my secluded spot, solar power arrays is one of the fist things I'll install.

#410909 - 02/01/10 11:42 AM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: Old_Pig]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Loc: Florida
Yikes! It's scary because it's true.

#410923 - 02/01/10 01:21 PM Re: Finding space. [Re: Old_Pig]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I am reminded of one San Francisco sorcerer we both know of who slept during the day and enjoyed a virtually empty city during the night.

He had no rush hours to avoid, no traffic jams to endure, no waiting in lines at stores, and so forth.

One key to such things is to first identify what most people do and then choose to not match up with that in what you do.

As Harry Browne expressed it in his 1973 best selling book by the same title, there are methods on "how to find freedom in an unfree world".

First identify "traps" in thinking and behavior that constrain you and then identify alternatives to bypass such traps.

No need to move into the wilderness or 100 miles from the nearest part of urban civilization.

Just look for the unwanted aspects of life as viewed by the herd and you can find many wanted aspects of life that you want.

I am reminded of the humor of the old Charles Addams' cartoons in which the members of the Addams Family simply enjoyed what most others disliked and often disliked what the normals loved.

There is much wisdom to be found in looking at such things from outside the box.

#410970 - 02/01/10 08:18 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: ArtAche86]
Nammu Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Pacific NW
Originally Posted By: MALFORM

Lady GaGa rules the world.

He seems to be of the fleeting variety to me, flash in the pan if you will.

#411025 - 02/02/10 05:32 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: NapalmNick]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: NapalmNick
If you searched long enough you'd find quite a few gems. Last year Cannibal Corpse released their greatest album to date, Jack White formed a new band called The Dead Weather that are already in the works of a second album, The Mars Volta, plus a whole myriad of other bands/artists you've never heard of before.

I've heard ALL of them.

The Mars Volta is good.The widow is still their best song to date in my opinion

I listen to TONS of metal.I haven't liked Cannibal Corpse since the lead singer became cookie monster and did Six Feet Under.

Heard some of the dead weather,and sure they are okay,but the point I was trying to make is that "mainstream" has destroyed the music industry.The last band that has made a historical impact on music was Nirvana.

After that,there are none.The biggest band out there,right now,is Nickelback.And I hate them.They suck.

As for Lady GaGa being orginal.No.Simply put,she is doing EXACTLY what Madonna did,only using more techno.

We all "like" different types of music.But the likelihood of us seeing another Beatles,Stones,Floyd,AC/DC,Skynyrd,Allman Bros.,CCR,Black Sabbath,etc,are slim and none.And the trend that we are going down now,it is only getting progressively worse.

In the end,we can agree to disagree.

Enjoy listening! And remember:"The video KILLED the radio star"

Edited by ArtAche86 (02/02/10 05:46 PM)

#411027 - 02/02/10 06:04 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: ArtAche86]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: ArtAche86
The last band that has made a historical impact on music was Nirvana.

With all due respect, that's like saying my asshole made a historical impact when I farted last night.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#411028 - 02/02/10 06:08 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: NapalmNick]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

OK kiddies.... big mean Mod is about to move this here whole thread into the "special kids" forum for "Dumbass Meaningless Fanboy Arguments About Music Genres About As Different As 3.4785 And 3.4786".

wink

The thermal conductivity of helium II is greater than that of any other known substance, a million times that of helium I and hundred of times that of copper. This is because heat conduction occurs via a quantum mechanism.

Second sound is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which heat transfer occurs by wave-like motion, rather than by the usual mechanism of diffusion. Heat takes the place of pressure in normal sound waves. This leads to very high thermal conductivity. It's known as "second sound" because the wave motion of heat is similar to the propagation of sound in air.

Sound waves are fluctuations in the density of molecules in a substance; second sound waves are fluctuations in the density of phonons. Second sound can be observed in any system in which most phonon-phonon collisions conserve momentum. This occurs in superfluids and in dielectric crystals when Umklapp scattering is small.

#411029 - 02/02/10 06:17 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: Quaark]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Okie dokie. I was going to pull out the Magus Gilmore quote about objective principles, but seeing as how Reverend Strongbone's already used it on me it would just be bad taste.

I'll be nice now.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#411030 - 02/02/10 06:17 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: ArtAche86]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Quote:

Quote:
After that,there are none.The biggest band out there,right now,is Nickelback.And I hate them.They suck.

Quote:
But the likelihood of us seeing another Beatles,Stones,Floyd,AC/DC,Skynyrd,Allman Bros.,CCR,Black Sabbath,etc,are slim and none.And the trend that we are going down now,it is only getting progressively worse.

I'd say that your musical exposure and knowledge is quite limited, which is not a big deal. But being unaware of great musical projects, is no reason to assume that none exist.

The bands you listed are indeed great, but there are many bands just as good, if not better. That of course is up to the listener to decide, but I cannot imagine having such a narrow focus. One thing that I recommend to you is the application "Lastfm" - I have discovered hundreds of new bands while listening to the bands and solo musicians that I already know and love, simply by using the "similar artists" search function made available to you.

Oh, and another neat aspect to "Lastfm" is the user profiles. For instance, if you were to play a Black Sabbath track, other users' profiles that listen to a lot of Black Sabbath will appear for you to browse their play history, which is another way to find music that you might be interested in. As Sylar would say, "you get to pick their brains". I use Lastfm with my iTunes, I'm not sure if it works with other media players, but I assume that it should.

Edited by Poetaster (02/02/10 06:32 PM)
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#411034 - 02/02/10 06:41 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: NapalmNick]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
Originally Posted By: NapalmNick
Originally Posted By: ArtAche86

With all due respect, that's like saying my asshole made a historical impact when I farted last night.

HA! laugh

#411121 - 02/03/10 05:35 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: Quaark]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Daark
OK kiddies.... big mean Mod is about to move this here whole thread into the "special kids" forum for "Dumbass Meaningless Fanboy Arguments About Music Genres About As Different As 3.4785 And 3.4786".

wink

SWEET!THAT MEANS I GET TO DECORATE ANOTHER HELMET!

Point well taken.

#411326 - 02/05/10 06:50 PM Re: Moving into the future and the new epoch [Re: TECHNO]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: TECHNO
Do people here believe that in another hundred years, time will still be reference by abrahamic/judeo/christian constraints?

Abrahamic but not Christian. Muslim. They're taking over. Their only real competition is us atheists but we don't have a damn calendar unless you think the CoS one will catch on. Wait! Maybe we could start our calendar with Prehistoric Lucy. We'd be in the year 3.18 Million PL. coopdevil

Or we could date from Darwin's Voyage of the Beagle. He embarked December 27, 1831. So that renumbers December 27, 2009 as Embarking Day, 178 VB. I like it! I bet a lot of biologists around the world would get behind that one. Richard Dawkins for sure.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
11889 Members
73 Forums
43636 Topics
404131 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements