Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#411601 - 02/08/10 01:34 AM How many kids do YOU want?
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Doktor LaVey says in The Satanic Rituals, p.12, "One cherished child who can create will be more important than ten who can produce - or fifty who can believe!"

If one believes himself to be the elite, to possess an intellect and abilities above the herd, should one procreate in order to populate the world with superior offspring?

Or should one procreate sparingly and focus his resources and abilities on one or few children rather than many?

What are your thoughts on the subject?

I always wanted three children, because I came from a family with three children. I enjoyed having a brother and a sister and through familiarity I guess that is how I envisage a family unit.

But since having a son, and experiencing the joys and trials of parenting, I'm quite happy to have a single child. I don't know whether that will change in the near (or not so near) future, but that's how my thoughts have changed.

Has anyone else thought about this kind of thing too?

#411602 - 02/08/10 02:13 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Original Sly
If one believes himself to be the elite, to possess an intellect and abilities above the herd, should one procreate in order to populate the world with superior offspring?

Or should one procreate sparingly and focus his resources and abilities on one or few children rather than many?

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Even though my girlfriend has asked me numerous times on an idea of a second child and prefering a girl, I prefer having only one child. For now...

I have a boy who is about to be two years old. I only prefer one at this time because of money and freedom limits. I would like to balance it out instead of tying myself down like that.

Having a second child would take away the last bit of 'me' time I have left. Every once in a while I could go out but it isn't very common.

I would have to plan everything like who's going to watch my son while me and my woman go out.

Luckily, my woman and I are going out to eat tomorrow night.

My opinion to your question is therefore to procreate sparingly.

HS!

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#411605 - 02/08/10 03:18 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Skjalandir Offline

Loc: England
I live with a family (not my own) who have two boys that are eight and thirteen, and a girl who is eleven. It seems to be a great mix of personalities and the ages are close enough for their activities to be relevant.

I do know a family that have a dozen children, and all of them are in high paying work in this country or working abroad in exotic locations and they are all bright and full of life. A real joy to be around. So I think there are exceptions where a large amount of children can be successful, but that is purely down to great parenting.

For me personally, three seems like a number that would be nice, and obviously when I am at an age where I am married and having children three will be a number I am nostalgic to due to my time spent here, much like it is for your childhood.

Edited by Skjalandir (02/08/10 03:19 AM)
Edit Reason: I need to learn the difference between to and too
Frighten everybody shitless
- Ian Dury

#411607 - 02/08/10 03:47 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
If the reason why you're having a child is to populate the world with superior genes, you shouldn't have one, much less more than one.

You shold have a child thinking of yourself, your partner and the child. If you can afford it and if makes you happy, you should go ahead and have ten kids. Now, if you're doing it for any 'greater good' reason, you shouldn't even have one.

#411609 - 02/08/10 04:10 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey
But since having a son, and experiencing the joys and trials of parenting, I'm quite happy to have a single child. I don't know whether that will change in the near (or not so near) future, but that's how my thoughts have changed.

You answered your own question. Stick with one until your thoughts change again.

I have two. Both awesome. No need for more. Hell, one's almost done with college and the other's getting there. Soon they'll be on their own two feet and my uses for money can shift in other directions, in support of other goals.

Economics in the USA punish people who breed like rabbits and reward people who don't breed at all. Earlier systems weren't all like that. If you owned a farm or flock and made your living off it, having more kids was usually better than having less. That's why Jacob son of Isaac had freaking twelve!

Do what's best for you in the world you're living in. That's the bottom line.

#411615 - 02/08/10 05:21 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Machismo]
Thomas Tyrannus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I would like one, no more than two. Trends in the U.S. do favor smaller "nuclear" families, and my wife-to-be and myself are planning on children in the future when our financial situation is stable and profitable.

A boy and a girl seems pretty fair to me. Since I've noticed a sharp increase in the number of girls over boys being born, we definitely want a boy.

On the topic of creating little supermen-women, sounds like a great idea if one has the funds and support for breeding Iron Youth. smile

--F. Nietzsche, Beyond Good And Evil

#411620 - 02/08/10 07:28 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
The day they sell a kit to design your own customized child, I may create a perfect one.

But the current process leaves to many factors to chance, so I won't take the risk. There are a couple of defects I inherited from my parents that I will not like to pass to the next generation. Unless they invent a way to cancel those particular genes, the best way to eradicate them is to be the last in the line.

Also, kids are too much work.

#411643 - 02/08/10 11:05 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Melly Offline

Loc: Toronto Area
I really wanted kids, but since working with children I'm not so sure anymore. It's not that I would have trust issues with my children or would be afraid of the extra work and attention that would go into them, it is the other children I would be worried about. I would fear for them having to socialize with people who think watching Sponge Bob Squarepants for three hours is a good way to spend an afternoon and that saying 'I want (item) NOW' is a good way to obtain something they want.

As a camp counselor I noticed a lot our kids would bring in hand held devices to watch whatever on instead of actually socializing/playing/making crafts/whatever. And these kids weren't tweens or anything, they were 5-10 year olds. We ended up making a rule that there were to be no electronics brought to camp and 3 kids dropped out after the first week of no electronics. I was not a victim of electronics or television when I was a little girl (even though they were offered to me) and I wouldn't want my kids to be like that either because there is a big friggin' world out there and it's hella fun. It would break my heart if they were friends with people like that and then became like that themselves.

So I'm really stuck. If I had my way I would love to have three children, but I may end up not having any.

Buuuuuut, I don't know. I'm only 19.
Ha-HA! I may end up with 7! You never know.

Edited by Melly (02/08/10 11:06 AM)
Edit Reason: ha-HA! I forgot a 'they were'

#411644 - 02/08/10 11:19 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Melly]
Iscariot Offline

Loc: United States
I've always wanted 2 children spaced 2-3 years apart. That's what my parents did, seemed to work out well.

The only "downside" with my current situation is that my girlfriend/fiancee has a tendency in her family to produce twins (both mono- and di-) so my plans for a few year gap between my children could easily be thrown to the wind...

But other than that I'm pretty set on 2. Have names picked out and everything for all the varying combinations of the sexes wink

(oh, and I'd totally be down for the "build a kid" process. Eliminating genetic disease and giving them 'superior' genetics seems like a pretty good idea to me.)

Edited by Iscariot (02/08/10 11:25 AM)
Edit Reason: i just learned the difference between fiance and fiancee...

#411646 - 02/08/10 11:31 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:

I doubt there's a policy on childbearing from the CoS, apart from a "Fuck Responsibly" type of consideration. (That I'm aware of.)

I don't see being elite as synonymous with a responsibility to pass on my genes. In a way, that could be a form of martyrdom, as I well-know how damn time, energy, and finance consuming raising children can be.

I do not want children, but if I did, there's no guarantee that my children would be Satanists, or even intelligent. Life's full of surprises like that.

I'll let the parents here speak for themselves, but if I were to have children, I'd be far less concerned with their Satanicness as I would be with their own personal well-being. Their natures will out, and my job would be to simply approach raising them as best as I am able. My approach to childbearing would be Satanic, my children would be whatever it is that makes them happy.

#411647 - 02/08/10 11:34 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: SINClair]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
I think it goes without saying that if all you're doing is breeding and have no plan to do any parenting, then I agree that you shouldn't have children.

I have noticed quite often that an "only" child will have a lot of extracurricular activities and do well academically. My evidence for saying that is purely subjective, anecdotal evidence though. Perhaps those who have fewer children are career-minded and thus have a lot of monetary, material resources to spend on their child allowing that child to do more materially.

But yes, breeding as opposed to parenting, regardless of the genetics of the offspring, will not be giving a child what it deserves in life.

#411649 - 02/08/10 11:46 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

I don't like the word should in there. It's a strongly personal choice, isn't it... smile

My current (and in long term, it was always like that) view on having children is that I want none. I had a chance to spend time with many kids (of my friends), sometime also for some weeks... And while some first days were always ok, I felt that my desired calmness, which I always search for, was very disturbed after while.

For example, while I enjoyed walking through shopping centre, holding friend's little daughter's hand in mine, and trying to explain the unexplainable questions to her, once in a while... I felt a little disturbed when she was running everywhere after me more days in a row.

Here goes my opinion. To have children is really a big step, and if one isn't sincerely dedicated to that thought, most likely the parent and also the child end up unhappy with their lives.

Something to always look at as first is a desired quality of life.

#411652 - 02/08/10 12:00 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Spelled Moon]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> If one believes himself to be the elite, to possess an intellect and abilities above the herd, should one procreate in order to populate the world with superior offspring? <<

One must also remember that considering one's self elite is a matter of perception that is dependent upon the degree of said person's self-delusion.

Most people who pompously consider themselves elite are, in reality, not.

Personally, I don't want children. I need space and time to write. And how am I going to do that with a couple of little bastards running about?

I need respite and solace.

And whiskey.

Writing & whiskey is all that matters.

#411658 - 02/08/10 12:15 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Since there is a forum for Church of Satan member’s in another part of this board, I will not comment on parenting, per se. I will comment on this idea that intelligent people should be fruitful and multiply. That is a white light ideal.

The truth is intelligent people do not have children without a reason that meets their personal, and mutually meditated purposes. In the case of single parents, the reason is singular. From the perspective of a Satanist, there is little to no interest what happens once we transpire. It is not our duty to make sure future generations will benefit from our genetic material. We are too self interested.

As has been stated when this subject comes up, parents have little to no control concerning the nature of their progeny. If I may be so vulgar as to expose somewhat personal information, the only similarity between my parents and me are physical characteristics, some mental capacity and emotional temperament. That is where the correspondence ends. My mindset is miles from that of my forebears. I propose that the qualities one on this particular forum would want to propagate are not genetic. And, again, it is not our burden to fill the earth with even more people who may very well not have the will to use the intelligence they do have. From my parents triplicate offspring came one of sub-average intelligence, one neurotic and one Satanist.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#411660 - 02/08/10 12:25 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

I knew at ten, and told everyone in earshot, that I would never have children.

Asking me how many kids I would want is pretty much like asking how many limbs I would like amputated!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12020 Members
73 Forums
43830 Topics
405231 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements