Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#411601 - 02/08/10 01:34 AM How many kids do YOU want?
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Doktor LaVey says in The Satanic Rituals, p.12, "One cherished child who can create will be more important than ten who can produce - or fifty who can believe!"

If one believes himself to be the elite, to possess an intellect and abilities above the herd, should one procreate in order to populate the world with superior offspring?

Or should one procreate sparingly and focus his resources and abilities on one or few children rather than many?

What are your thoughts on the subject?

I always wanted three children, because I came from a family with three children. I enjoyed having a brother and a sister and through familiarity I guess that is how I envisage a family unit.

But since having a son, and experiencing the joys and trials of parenting, I'm quite happy to have a single child. I don't know whether that will change in the near (or not so near) future, but that's how my thoughts have changed.

Has anyone else thought about this kind of thing too?

#411602 - 02/08/10 02:13 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Original Sly
If one believes himself to be the elite, to possess an intellect and abilities above the herd, should one procreate in order to populate the world with superior offspring?

Or should one procreate sparingly and focus his resources and abilities on one or few children rather than many?

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Even though my girlfriend has asked me numerous times on an idea of a second child and prefering a girl, I prefer having only one child. For now...

I have a boy who is about to be two years old. I only prefer one at this time because of money and freedom limits. I would like to balance it out instead of tying myself down like that.

Having a second child would take away the last bit of 'me' time I have left. Every once in a while I could go out but it isn't very common.

I would have to plan everything like who's going to watch my son while me and my woman go out.

Luckily, my woman and I are going out to eat tomorrow night.

My opinion to your question is therefore to procreate sparingly.

HS!

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#411605 - 02/08/10 03:18 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Skjalandir Offline

Loc: England
I live with a family (not my own) who have two boys that are eight and thirteen, and a girl who is eleven. It seems to be a great mix of personalities and the ages are close enough for their activities to be relevant.

I do know a family that have a dozen children, and all of them are in high paying work in this country or working abroad in exotic locations and they are all bright and full of life. A real joy to be around. So I think there are exceptions where a large amount of children can be successful, but that is purely down to great parenting.

For me personally, three seems like a number that would be nice, and obviously when I am at an age where I am married and having children three will be a number I am nostalgic to due to my time spent here, much like it is for your childhood.

Edited by Skjalandir (02/08/10 03:19 AM)
Edit Reason: I need to learn the difference between to and too
Frighten everybody shitless
- Ian Dury

#411607 - 02/08/10 03:47 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
If the reason why you're having a child is to populate the world with superior genes, you shouldn't have one, much less more than one.

You shold have a child thinking of yourself, your partner and the child. If you can afford it and if makes you happy, you should go ahead and have ten kids. Now, if you're doing it for any 'greater good' reason, you shouldn't even have one.

#411609 - 02/08/10 04:10 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey
But since having a son, and experiencing the joys and trials of parenting, I'm quite happy to have a single child. I don't know whether that will change in the near (or not so near) future, but that's how my thoughts have changed.

You answered your own question. Stick with one until your thoughts change again.

I have two. Both awesome. No need for more. Hell, one's almost done with college and the other's getting there. Soon they'll be on their own two feet and my uses for money can shift in other directions, in support of other goals.

Economics in the USA punish people who breed like rabbits and reward people who don't breed at all. Earlier systems weren't all like that. If you owned a farm or flock and made your living off it, having more kids was usually better than having less. That's why Jacob son of Isaac had freaking twelve!

Do what's best for you in the world you're living in. That's the bottom line.

#411615 - 02/08/10 05:21 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Machismo]
Thomas Tyrannus Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I would like one, no more than two. Trends in the U.S. do favor smaller "nuclear" families, and my wife-to-be and myself are planning on children in the future when our financial situation is stable and profitable.

A boy and a girl seems pretty fair to me. Since I've noticed a sharp increase in the number of girls over boys being born, we definitely want a boy.

On the topic of creating little supermen-women, sounds like a great idea if one has the funds and support for breeding Iron Youth. smile

--F. Nietzsche, Beyond Good And Evil

#411620 - 02/08/10 07:28 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
The day they sell a kit to design your own customized child, I may create a perfect one.

But the current process leaves to many factors to chance, so I won't take the risk. There are a couple of defects I inherited from my parents that I will not like to pass to the next generation. Unless they invent a way to cancel those particular genes, the best way to eradicate them is to be the last in the line.

Also, kids are too much work.

#411643 - 02/08/10 11:05 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Melly Offline

Loc: Toronto Area
I really wanted kids, but since working with children I'm not so sure anymore. It's not that I would have trust issues with my children or would be afraid of the extra work and attention that would go into them, it is the other children I would be worried about. I would fear for them having to socialize with people who think watching Sponge Bob Squarepants for three hours is a good way to spend an afternoon and that saying 'I want (item) NOW' is a good way to obtain something they want.

As a camp counselor I noticed a lot our kids would bring in hand held devices to watch whatever on instead of actually socializing/playing/making crafts/whatever. And these kids weren't tweens or anything, they were 5-10 year olds. We ended up making a rule that there were to be no electronics brought to camp and 3 kids dropped out after the first week of no electronics. I was not a victim of electronics or television when I was a little girl (even though they were offered to me) and I wouldn't want my kids to be like that either because there is a big friggin' world out there and it's hella fun. It would break my heart if they were friends with people like that and then became like that themselves.

So I'm really stuck. If I had my way I would love to have three children, but I may end up not having any.

Buuuuuut, I don't know. I'm only 19.
Ha-HA! I may end up with 7! You never know.

Edited by Melly (02/08/10 11:06 AM)
Edit Reason: ha-HA! I forgot a 'they were'

#411644 - 02/08/10 11:19 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Melly]
Iscariot Offline

Loc: United States
I've always wanted 2 children spaced 2-3 years apart. That's what my parents did, seemed to work out well.

The only "downside" with my current situation is that my girlfriend/fiancee has a tendency in her family to produce twins (both mono- and di-) so my plans for a few year gap between my children could easily be thrown to the wind...

But other than that I'm pretty set on 2. Have names picked out and everything for all the varying combinations of the sexes wink

(oh, and I'd totally be down for the "build a kid" process. Eliminating genetic disease and giving them 'superior' genetics seems like a pretty good idea to me.)

Edited by Iscariot (02/08/10 11:25 AM)
Edit Reason: i just learned the difference between fiance and fiancee...

#411646 - 02/08/10 11:31 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:

I doubt there's a policy on childbearing from the CoS, apart from a "Fuck Responsibly" type of consideration. (That I'm aware of.)

I don't see being elite as synonymous with a responsibility to pass on my genes. In a way, that could be a form of martyrdom, as I well-know how damn time, energy, and finance consuming raising children can be.

I do not want children, but if I did, there's no guarantee that my children would be Satanists, or even intelligent. Life's full of surprises like that.

I'll let the parents here speak for themselves, but if I were to have children, I'd be far less concerned with their Satanicness as I would be with their own personal well-being. Their natures will out, and my job would be to simply approach raising them as best as I am able. My approach to childbearing would be Satanic, my children would be whatever it is that makes them happy.

#411647 - 02/08/10 11:34 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: SINClair]
Original Sly Offline

I think it goes without saying that if all you're doing is breeding and have no plan to do any parenting, then I agree that you shouldn't have children.

I have noticed quite often that an "only" child will have a lot of extracurricular activities and do well academically. My evidence for saying that is purely subjective, anecdotal evidence though. Perhaps those who have fewer children are career-minded and thus have a lot of monetary, material resources to spend on their child allowing that child to do more materially.

But yes, breeding as opposed to parenting, regardless of the genetics of the offspring, will not be giving a child what it deserves in life.

#411649 - 02/08/10 11:46 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

I don't like the word should in there. It's a strongly personal choice, isn't it... smile

My current (and in long term, it was always like that) view on having children is that I want none. I had a chance to spend time with many kids (of my friends), sometime also for some weeks... And while some first days were always ok, I felt that my desired calmness, which I always search for, was very disturbed after while.

For example, while I enjoyed walking through shopping centre, holding friend's little daughter's hand in mine, and trying to explain the unexplainable questions to her, once in a while... I felt a little disturbed when she was running everywhere after me more days in a row.

Here goes my opinion. To have children is really a big step, and if one isn't sincerely dedicated to that thought, most likely the parent and also the child end up unhappy with their lives.

Something to always look at as first is a desired quality of life.

#411652 - 02/08/10 12:00 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Spelled Moon]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

>> If one believes himself to be the elite, to possess an intellect and abilities above the herd, should one procreate in order to populate the world with superior offspring? <<

One must also remember that considering one's self elite is a matter of perception that is dependent upon the degree of said person's self-delusion.

Most people who pompously consider themselves elite are, in reality, not.

Personally, I don't want children. I need space and time to write. And how am I going to do that with a couple of little bastards running about?

I need respite and solace.

And whiskey.

Writing & whiskey is all that matters.

#411658 - 02/08/10 12:15 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Since there is a forum for Church of Satan member’s in another part of this board, I will not comment on parenting, per se. I will comment on this idea that intelligent people should be fruitful and multiply. That is a white light ideal.

The truth is intelligent people do not have children without a reason that meets their personal, and mutually meditated purposes. In the case of single parents, the reason is singular. From the perspective of a Satanist, there is little to no interest what happens once we transpire. It is not our duty to make sure future generations will benefit from our genetic material. We are too self interested.

As has been stated when this subject comes up, parents have little to no control concerning the nature of their progeny. If I may be so vulgar as to expose somewhat personal information, the only similarity between my parents and me are physical characteristics, some mental capacity and emotional temperament. That is where the correspondence ends. My mindset is miles from that of my forebears. I propose that the qualities one on this particular forum would want to propagate are not genetic. And, again, it is not our burden to fill the earth with even more people who may very well not have the will to use the intelligence they do have. From my parents triplicate offspring came one of sub-average intelligence, one neurotic and one Satanist.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#411660 - 02/08/10 12:25 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

I knew at ten, and told everyone in earshot, that I would never have children.

Asking me how many kids I would want is pretty much like asking how many limbs I would like amputated!

The thermal conductivity of helium II is greater than that of any other known substance, a million times that of helium I and hundred of times that of copper. This is because heat conduction occurs via a quantum mechanism.

Second sound is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which heat transfer occurs by wave-like motion, rather than by the usual mechanism of diffusion. Heat takes the place of pressure in normal sound waves. This leads to very high thermal conductivity. It's known as "second sound" because the wave motion of heat is similar to the propagation of sound in air.

Sound waves are fluctuations in the density of molecules in a substance; second sound waves are fluctuations in the density of phonons. Second sound can be observed in any system in which most phonon-phonon collisions conserve momentum. This occurs in superfluids and in dielectric crystals when Umklapp scattering is small.

#411665 - 02/08/10 12:33 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Previously, I felt the same way as Rev. Daark: to wit, children are loud, smelly, expensive, messy, time-consuming, and annoying, and I need them like I need a hole in the forehead.

But, in the past few years, I've gotten to know and observe some kids in a number of settings--some incredibly neat and interesting, others absolute wastes of good carbon*--and I've thought more about the overall impact I've had on my own parents' lives, and how their lives would be different--better in some ways, worse in others--if I had never been born. So, my feelings around the issue have changed somewhat.

If and when I decide to have offspring, though, I think one rugrat will be more than enough for me smile.

And whenever this topic comes up, I can't help but remember this perhaps-not-so-famous movie scene:
http://www.break.com/usercontent/2007/1/First-10-minutes-of-Idiocracy-Clip-1-204451.html

*Usually, the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#411666 - 02/08/10 12:37 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: TrojZyr]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Ah, but you have a womb, so there is a potentially rewarding biological imperative at work in you entirely absent in me.

I just wanna... have fun.

Biologically imperatively speaking, that is.

wink

The thermal conductivity of helium II is greater than that of any other known substance, a million times that of helium I and hundred of times that of copper. This is because heat conduction occurs via a quantum mechanism.

Second sound is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which heat transfer occurs by wave-like motion, rather than by the usual mechanism of diffusion. Heat takes the place of pressure in normal sound waves. This leads to very high thermal conductivity. It's known as "second sound" because the wave motion of heat is similar to the propagation of sound in air.

Sound waves are fluctuations in the density of molecules in a substance; second sound waves are fluctuations in the density of phonons. Second sound can be observed in any system in which most phonon-phonon collisions conserve momentum. This occurs in superfluids and in dielectric crystals when Umklapp scattering is small.

#411667 - 02/08/10 12:42 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Quaark]
Original Sly Offline

Quote:
I knew at ten, and told everyone in earshot, that I would never have children.

Holy crap! I think at ten I was too busy reading about vampires and ghosts (maybe even obsessively so) to think about girls or having children!

Although I liked the last three replies a lot, I'll direct this to you Rev. Daark.

Why do you think that so many people are shocked by a person's choice not to have children?

I'd say that people are also shocked, lesser so perhaps, when someone says that one child is enough.

Do you think it stems from an innate biological imperative to procreate? I'm not sure that I know of any cases where animals control the number of offspring they have, so perhaps the surprise that a "single or no child" response elicits is due to something of that nature?

#411668 - 02/08/10 12:46 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

A Satanist's elite status has basically nothing to do with their genes. Never mind congenital diseases like diabetes: anyone versed in the history of the Church of Satan should know that kids don't get "elite genes" no matter who their parents are.

Even if it were genetic, the Satanist doesn't owe the world a better stock.

#411669 - 02/08/10 12:53 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

The more primitive the culture, the more unacceptable not having children is. In Africa for example, it is literally unthinkable.

A childless friend was traveling in rural West Africa, and in one village tried to explain his choice to remain childless. When they finally understood (after hours of incredulous incomprehension), they accused him of being a witch and tried to kill him.

He escaped, and using his noggin this time, at the next village when asked how many children he had (and this will ALWAYS be one of the first questions asked in all of Africa), he lied and said he had SO many children from SO many different women, he really had no idea. Dozens.

They treated him as a God and had access to as many girls as he could have wanted. (Due to HIV, he passed on them all.)

Fertility is and has been revered throughout all of history, for many obvious reasons, both in terms of fulfilling the deepest biological imperatives, and also for reasons of tribal growth and strength.

It is only VERY recently that birth control and awareness of the effects of unrestrained population growth in the civilized societies has engendered ANY awareness of any countervailing positive aspects of reproductive restraint.

Holdovers from the mental processes of all human history will continue to have resonance for a long time.

#411671 - 02/08/10 01:06 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: reprobate]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Well, and there's more to being elite than just having an impressive genetic code. My overall genetic code probably doesn't make for riveting reading, but I like to think my intellect, my creativity, and my personality more than make up for it.

While I of course want my hypothetical kid to hit the ground with as many advantages and as few disadvantages as possible, my real goal is to give him or her stability, love, and a true sense of self-confidence, and to help foster within him or her a real appreciation for indulgence, logic, and life.

#411675 - 02/08/10 01:24 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: TrojZyr]
Skjalandir Offline

Quote:
My overall genetic code probably doesn't make for riveting reading, but I like to think my intellect, my creativity, and my personality more than make up for it.

I agree. I just hope my first born forgives me for passing on the same genetic code as Henry Spencer.

If not I will have to take a pair of scissors to it.

Edited by Skjalandir (02/08/10 01:24 PM)
Frighten everybody shitless
- Ian Dury

#411677 - 02/08/10 01:33 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Quote:
How many kids do YOU want?

Zero. I am fiercely childfree. I even get involved somewhat with childfree groups, including a s.i.g. within Mensa.

Actually, let me rephrase that. I don't want to be a PARENT. I'm not opposed to being a gamete donor, so long as it's put in legal writing that I am to have no responsibilities.

No. I am under no obligation to contribute to the gene pool.

Quote:

As with any other decision in life, it should be up to the individual Satanist who weighs the options (including his or her own gratification), decided duties, and responsibilities.

Quote:
Has anyone else thought about this kind of thing too?

Who HASN'T contemplated the decision of becoming a parent?

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#411681 - 02/08/10 01:45 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Quaark]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Daark
The more primitive the culture, the more unacceptable not having children is.

I would think that a lot of this has to do with mortality rates, plus the way the culture's economy works. A century or two ago here in the U.S., it wasn't unusual to have a family of 8 or 10 kids. But part of the reason for that was to have extra hands to help you run the family farm, and along with the fact that natural infant/child death was way more common. Not to mention fewer people thinking about college tuition.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#411682 - 02/08/10 01:46 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Bill_M]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
I pity people who are around my age (24)--and any other age for that matter--whose lives have been complicated or ruined because they either didn't want to "wrap it up" or take birth control. In my opinion, this is the root of inner city crime. Women irresponsibly breed with several "baby's daddys", can't afford to live anywhere other than projects and ghettos, leech off of the welfare system, don't know shit about parenting and don't have a partner to help them. It's no wonder so many kids are joining gangs--they're literally the family they never had. Of course this isn't an excuse by any means, just something to consider.

As for me, I'd sooner castrate myself before having a child. I have enough trouble taking care of myself and my own life. Of course I'm also homosexual, so this really doesn't concern me too much. grin

#411683 - 02/08/10 01:47 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Bill_M]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Precisely right! (You usually are!)

#411687 - 02/08/10 01:54 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: M.D. Roche]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Quote:
I pity people who are around my age (24)--and any other age for that matter--whose lives have been complicated or ruined because they either didn't want to "wrap it up" or take birth control.

I've seen some horrible reasons by the same demographic for intentionally having children. I've known women who tried getting pregnant to force a man into staying in the relationship with them. I've known couples who never really talked it through, and both just assumed that having children was what the other partner wanted. There's also pressure from "friends" and family members who want to be grandparents. And I've seen people who just assume that establishing a family was just the naturally next thing to do after getting a career and a house.

#411689 - 02/08/10 02:08 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
JustinR Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
No sir, no kids for me. I like kids, but it's not for me. I like the way my life is now, and having kids is a huge commitment. For some reason, kids love me and gravitate towards me (probably because of my goofiness), but I don't really want any kids of my own.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

JustinR on The Undercroft

#411691 - 02/08/10 02:16 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Quaark]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Daark
Precisely right! (You usually are!)

Thanks! I try. grin

Ironically, the more common practice today of having only one child (read: somebody to focus 100% of the attention on), has helped lead to a lot of the unfounded parental paranoia trends today.

#411692 - 02/08/10 02:18 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Branwyn]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Branwyn
I think that I would like two.

Then respond to the original poster, not me. crazy

#411693 - 02/08/10 02:21 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Bill_M]
Remo razz Offline

Loc: Canada
ROFL

#411694 - 02/08/10 02:25 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Branwyn Offline

Loc: Montana, USA
I think that I would like two. I know I want at least one, and I'll decide on the second after the first comes along (barring interesting luck such as twins, which would be okay with me).

I know I want to be a parent (not yet, but I do). I think siblings are good, and I've known far too many only children who resented their parents and were unhappy as children for being too lonely. I also think it would be good to have few enough children that a single parent can keep one hand on each child, or both parents together could carry all children. Therefore, two seems good.

~Branwyn

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

#411696 - 02/08/10 02:33 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Branwyn]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Nope, no kids for me thankyou! There's no way on earth anyone could persuade me to go through pregnancy and labour, only to be responsible for another human being. And, due to the influences you exert over that child, you are probably going to be responsible for its actions and the way it thinks for the rest of its life, not just until it reaches eighteen or twenty-one years of age.
I've had all sorts of insults levelled at me for being a woman who doesn't want children, but these days I just ignore such stupidity. As if it's not my choice whether to have kids, and how many? But yes, even in the vastly overpopulated UK, I am feeling the societal pressure to have kids. But i resist, because as far as I could see, they would never appear in my own future. I never even got broody as a younger woman when freinds had babies, all I could think of was "Well, there goes your individual identity - from now on you'll be (insert kid's name) mother. Not (insert your name) anymore."
Not for me.

#411709 - 02/08/10 04:23 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Bill_M]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
I've seen some horrible reasons by the same demographic for intentionally having children. I've known women who tried getting pregnant to force a man into staying in the relationship with them. I've known couples who never really talked it through, and both just assumed that having children was what the other partner wanted. There's also pressure from "friends" and family members who want to be grandparents. And I've seen people who just assume that establishing a family was just the naturally next thing to do after getting a career and a house.

What really disturbs me are couples who think that having children will help save their marriage. Of course it doesn't and the child/ren ends up having to live through a divorce, which can lead to all sorts of other issues.

#411711 - 02/08/10 04:51 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Bill_M]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

I heard girl saying, that she wants to have a baby and it's about time, because almost all her ex-classmates from grammar school do have.

crazy

#411714 - 02/08/10 04:57 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Spelled Moon]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

That reminds me of a movie when a woman goes to her high school reunion and sees that all of her classmates have big bellies. She makes the comment "Well, at least I'm not fat!" to which one of the girls replies "We're not fat, we're pregnant!"

#411754 - 02/08/10 09:01 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
TheAbysmal Offline

Zero for me. I have been happy my whole life without them, and I see no reason to potentially screw up a good thing.

And, beside that, I have good reason to fear any children I have could be born with deformity. While I think I have gotten along quite fine--most of my scars were emotional--I see so reason to subject a child to that needlessly.

Edited by Vitaeviternus (02/08/10 09:04 PM)
Edit Reason: Forgot the Deformity Part

Refuse to die.

#411762 - 02/08/10 10:17 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky

If one feels compelled to do so,do so.And make the proper arrangements.
But know this first,no one is ever truly "ready" for their first child.You have NO clue.

As far as how many I want.
The one I have,and the one i'm having.
Two reasons:
1.)It will be 2028 when my daughter turns 18 and (hopefully) goes to college.That means I will be 42,and will then be able to take some time for myself and my significant other. a chance to finally walk naked around the house again. . .eating chilli
2.)With only two children,I know I can afford their needs,and can give significant direction to them in their lives.This is just the number that is right for me. I don't see how the Amish do it,aside from stating that farms need farmers,and they like 'em "home grown".

As far as purposely spawning the "alien elite". . .
I'm not going to push my children into anything.I will guide them,and protect them.But they will naturally become whatever it is they will become, of their own volition.

#411766 - 02/08/10 10:37 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Nammu Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Pacific NW
Zero kids for me and I am a female, too! I've ended relationships over this as there isn't a compromise.

I've never felt any "biological imperative" or "urge" to procreate. For me the imperative is to screw, adulterate and create grin.

#411796 - 02/09/10 04:49 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
ruraldean Offline

CoS Member

I'm probably unusual on here, in that I have two children, both adults, and one of them is a member here (Warlock MJD). For the record, he introduced me to the CoS.

While it's true that children bring about lifestyle changes, it isn't necessarily for the worse - just different. I come from a fairly unemotional family and vowed that when I had children things would be different. My wife and I went through 13 years together (courtship and marriage) before we both wanted kids at the same time and started to plan our family. We were incredibly lucky to have a boy followed by a girl 2 years later.

Both kids had a period as teenagers which was not good, although the love endured, and now I feel as parents my wife and I are reaping the benefits. Both kids live away from home, but relatively local and we see them often. We still get together nearly every weekend and I'm proud of both of them.

Despite the restrictions that small children bring, I wouldn't change any of it, although if the downside of kids had been explained to me I probably wouldn't have had them. That would have been a huge mistake.

Although I feel I'm a relatively good communicator, I cannot explain the feeling of loving small beings, who in turn see you as their world. Neither can I explain how easy it would be to die for the protection of one's own children, without hesitation. I also believe that for some (although I speak only for myself here)the rearing of children brings an emotional roundness unattainable through any other means.

Making a decision not to have children is a very personal one. But it's difficult making a decision whilst only having half the information, and the subjective nature of the missing half only comes with actually having kids. Incredibly difficult, as there's no turning back once the positive decision to have children is made, but it can only really be judged by one's own experience, and then only after the fact.

Then again, perhaps it's true that you don't miss what you never had.

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."

-William Makepeace Thackeray, from The Social Pipe
http://ruraldean.wordpress.com

#411849 - 02/09/10 10:48 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: TheAbysmal]
JustinR Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
My girlfriend has always wanted kids, but I think her mind is changing since she began working with autistic kids. She sees how difficult it can be raising an autistic child, and how it can impact the relationship of the parents. Now she seems very hesitant on parenthood.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

JustinR on The Undercroft

#411862 - 02/09/10 12:02 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: M.D. Roche]
fire_vixen Offline

"I pity people who are around my age (24)--and any other age for that matter--whose lives have been complicated or ruined because they either didn't want to "wrap it up" or take birth control. In my opinion, this is the root of inner city crime. Women irresponsibly breed with several "baby's daddys", can't afford to live anywhere other than projects and ghettos, leech off of the welfare system, don't know shit about parenting and don't have a partner to help them. It's no wonder so many kids are joining gangs--they're literally the family they never had. Of course this isn't an excuse by any means, just something to consider."

It was shown that abortion was partially responsible for the reduction in crime rates. Since Roe vs. Wade decreed abortion to be legal, many women took advantage of this opportunity and as a result the kids who would have been the prime canditates for joining gangs were never born. The ability to have an abortion legally of tremendous benefit to those living in the ghettos, and in communities infested with drugs and crime. It is no wonder that kids born in that environment don't have much choice but to follow the footsteps of their parents. That is why not bringing these children into the world in the first place, as was enabled by abortion, was a great thing (both for these unborn children and society)

Source: Freakonomics

#411864 - 02/09/10 12:19 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
fire_vixen Offline

As was said previously, just because you are a Satanist is no guarantee your kids will be Satanists, or intelligent or whatnot. Things are unpredictable that way.

As a kid I was told that I shouldn't lift my friends because that might ruin my ability to have children. So I lifted my friends!

My opinions on having children have changed a lot over the years. I think seeing them grow up, learn and develop their talents can be a very rewarding experience, but I don't know if it's for me. I wish I could get a child that is already 6-7 years old and begin raising it. I just don't want to deal with everything that comes before that. Adoption is a reasonable choice, but I also want the child to be mine, so I am kind of stuck.
Another factor that I am considering is the kind of parent I would be. I would feel sorry for the child unlucky enough to have me as its mother! My attitude towards caring for another being, and my lifestyle would not be good for the poor kid.
The best thing for me is probably not to have any children.

#411865 - 02/09/10 12:19 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: fire_vixen]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Aye, and I don't think a lot of mainstream pro-lifers appreciate that concept. It seems that entirely too many pro-lifers are like the friends of the little red hen---everyone loves babies in theory, but no one wants to have to support those babies, especially if they are born with expensive, debilitating illnesses or disabilities, or are born to illegal aliens, or to single moms in the ghetto.

#411869 - 02/09/10 12:52 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: ruraldean]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Quote:
I'm probably unusual on here, in that I have two children, both adults

As I'm sure you know, there are a number of other members here with adult offspring. Though most of them stick to the members-only section.

Originally Posted By: ruraldean
While it's true that children bring about lifestyle changes, it isn't necessarily for the worse - just different.

In my experience, most of the parents who don't seem to have much of a life outside of parenting, were people who never had much of a social life to begin with. Likewise, many couples I've seen who had their own active hobbies, traveling, and other passions in life have still found a way to pencil time in for those things.

I'm quite happy that my own parents did have a life outside of parenting. They spent plenty of time with me and my siblings, but still got to enjoy plenty of time with their hobbies and spending time alone out for the occasional dinner, party, or vacation. Mostly it just meant leaving the party at midnight instead of 4 AM.

#411870 - 02/09/10 01:15 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: fire_vixen]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: fire_vixen
The best thing for me is probably not to have any children.

Yup. My favorite thing about Satanist women is that a lot of them (not all, obviously) don't want kids. I have kids because my ex-wife wanted them and I wasn't strongly against at the time. Since the divorce, I ended one relationship because the woman wanted a baby and there was no damn way I was having another. Hell, I freaking got snipped to make damn sure and she knew that and she still whined and pleaded for me to reverse the procedure. Like any guy who didn't hate himself would go through that and then reverse it because somebody begged.

#411871 - 02/09/10 01:40 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: fire_vixen]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: fire_vixen
It was shown that abortion was partially responsible for the reduction in crime rates. Since Roe vs. Wade decreed abortion to be legal, many women took advantage of this opportunity and as a result the kids who would have been the prime canditates for joining gangs were never born. The ability to have an abortion legally of tremendous benefit to those living in the ghettos, and in communities infested with drugs and crime. It is no wonder that kids born in that environment don't have much choice but to follow the footsteps of their parents. That is why not bringing these children into the world in the first place, as was enabled by abortion, was a great thing (both for these unborn children and society)

I was certain that was true before it was ever validated.

As Dr. LaVey suggested, mandatory birth control would be ideal for people such as those. While that would be nice in an ideal world, I am still for abortion 95%--the 5% being late term abortions, which I find inexcusable. Of course those percentages aren't exact, and may very well be greater.

"I'm 8 months pregnant?! I thought I was just getting fat! OMG LOL"

Or...

"I'm sick of being pregnant. This sucks. I totally change my mind!"

I think the Chinese were on to something when they put their birth laws into place. I think the USA could benefit from such a thing--or at least the poverty-stricken areas.

#411883 - 02/09/10 03:22 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: fire_vixen]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Ahem...

Before everyone here goes jumping on the Freakanomics claim band wagon......take some time to consider this.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#411891 - 02/09/10 04:26 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Bill_M]
ruraldean Offline

CoS Member

Quote:
I'm probably unusual on here, in that I have two children, both adults

As I'm sure you know, there are a number of other members here with adult offspring. Though most of them stick to the members-only section.

You've only taken part of the sentence Rev'd Bill. The whole sentence reads:

I'm probably unusual on here, in that I have two children, both adults, and one of them is a member here (Warlock MJD)

Not important, but that was really my point.

Edited by ruraldean (02/10/10 12:29 AM)

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."

-William Makepeace Thackeray, from The Social Pipe
http://ruraldean.wordpress.com

#411913 - 02/09/10 09:20 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Machismo]
Nammu Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Pacific NW
Originally Posted By: RealityPrinciple

Economics in the USA punish people who breed like rabbits and reward people who don't breed at all.

In modern times and for wealthy countries children are a luxury (not a necessity).

The US government offers a bunch of incentives for breeding even though it is a lifestyle choice,
not a dictum. Fortunately most people in the US have access to birth control.

Economics doesn't "punish" people who have kids, any perceived punishment is self-inflicted.

#411916 - 02/09/10 09:58 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Machismo]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Economics in the USA punish people who breed like rabbits and reward people who don't breed at all.

I think you have it backwards.

#411918 - 02/09/10 10:02 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: M.D. Roche]
ArtAche86 Offline

Claiming more dependents on taxes
Welfare families
(In some cases)Outrageous Child Support

Just to name a few. . .

#411920 - 02/09/10 10:06 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: ArtAche86]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: ArtAche86
Welfare families

Being on welfare because you had too many kids sounds like a pretty sweet reward to me.

#411922 - 02/09/10 10:10 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: M.D. Roche]
ArtAche86 Offline

Originally Posted By: MALFORM
Welfare families

Being on welfare because you had too many kids sounds like a pretty sweet reward to me.

Yes.Every time I miss a day of work I feel as though i've let thousands of them down. . .

#411923 - 02/09/10 10:15 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: M.D. Roche]
Diwanna Offline

Loc: Upland
Welfare families

Just remember what Neil Young said... "Welfare mothers make better lovers!"

But I digress.

There is a point in which empirical evidence outweighs your faith. It is then when you must chose to open your eyes, or close them. - Diwanna

#411944 - 02/10/10 08:14 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: M.D. Roche]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

I think you have it backwards.

I see your point. I often forget how people tend to think about this. I should have written more clearly. You see, I don't think about poor people. I only think about middle class people, because that's the category I'm in. Having lots of kids is a benefit if you're on welfare. But I'm not on welfare. If I had three kids, I'd be worse off than I am now with two. If I had four, I'd be worse off still. If I had zero, I'd be better off than with one or two. Because I'm middle class. I'm not on welfare. For middle class people, kids are a financial drain.

Edited by RealityPrinciple (02/10/10 08:15 AM)

#412408 - 02/13/10 07:33 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Midnight Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Victoria, Australia
My thoughts are that it doesn't matter how many kids you have, or whether you choose not to have any kids that's important. The important part to me is that you are actually thinking about it and making a conscious decision about what you will do. This to me is a responsibility that too many people don't take in regards to having children.

In Australia the government have this bizare policy to increase the population (l think they want more voters!!!!) and they pay a "Baby Bonus" of $5000 when you have a baby. As you can well imagine the birth rate started to steadily increase. The problem is that those having the babies are more often than not the single mothers or lower income families that already have 2 or 3 children. When the baby bonus first came in it was a cash payment when the baby was born but the government found that too many people were spending in on wide screen TV's and not using it for baby supplies etc. Now it is paid in vouchers for baby shops.

My husband and l didn't know exactly how many children we would have before starting our family but after three children who are now 18, 16 and 10 we felt that this made the family complete and workable. We became too busy to have any more! I am very pleased to see that all three are growing up with good healthy satanic philosophies as they learn about the world that they live in.

Many of our friends have children and many have made decisions to not have children. It doesn't matter as long as it is YOUR decision and you have thought it out.

Hail Satan!
Midnight

#412595 - 02/15/10 01:14 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

I personally only want 2 children. I have a daughter, now I want a son. Then I get the big snip snip. OUCH!

#412700 - 02/16/10 02:02 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Quaark]
Drakkar Tyrannis Offline

Loc: Maryland,USA
I can't really say I want children. To be honest I don't see much of a point to it, especially in my life. I think it's one of those choices you make once you're certain you can take on the responsibility and I'm fairly certain parenting won't be a strong point of mine.

#412861 - 02/17/10 12:23 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
K_Syn Offline

CoS Member

Loc: bonduel ,wisconSIN, USA
I do not really see what it should matter. I have my two sons which I love completely. Before my wife and I didn't want children but accidents happen. I wouldn't trade them for anything. As for children being a financial drain, yes they can be but who cares. My GMC Yukon is a financial drain too.

If you do not want children then good luck with that. If you practice in lust you have a high chance of slipping up. And when you do you will most likely see that children are great, pains in the ass at times but great. And if you look at children as a burden and a punishment then in my opinion you are not a Satanist.

Visit The Source- Church of Satan

#412873 - 02/17/10 02:01 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Drakkar Tyrannis]
JanusFaust Offline

It is my experience that most people who say something like "yea well, I don't care that much for children" or "Well maybe, I'm not sure yet" are stil at the age of "choice".
Like children are an accessoire to add to the Ikea couch and the big screen tv.

At some point, the biological clock will go off for most of us and there will be a strong urge to reproduce, raise and care.

#412877 - 02/17/10 02:29 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Instinctually I would try to populate a whole continent with as many women as I could. Unfortunately that wouldn’t work out in reality. Plus, all those damn diapers! eek

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#412880 - 02/17/10 02:51 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: K_Syn]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: Lord_of_Syn
And if you look at children as a burden and a punishment then in my opinion you are not a Satanist.

How the hell did you come up with THAT idea?

It seems to me you just took personal offense to some of the views expressed in this thread and used that comment in order to lash out against those who expressed them. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

#412884 - 02/17/10 03:41 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: In transit
I understand why you posted this and it's obviously a popular subject for discussion so this isn't directed at you or anyone who's replied here but I think it's pretty weird how many total strangers think it's appropriate/proper to ask me the title question. Which is kind of presumptuous to begin with.

Do people really feel entitled to this kind of personal information? Is it a means of gaging my worth or respectability? I don't know why but the question invariably provokes one of two responses in me: utter head-aching exhaustion and a big old wide-eyed dead pan stare or spitting out some thoroughly socially unacceptable response like, "However many I can fit in the oven."

I sort of understand how having kids can factor into judging someone. I, personally, am in total awe of good parents. I think they must have Herculean strength on infinite levels and epic amounts of patience. And also have some kind of mutant talent for selective deafness. That doesn't mean that every parent instantly earns my respect though. I get really tired of hearing how great someone is just because they've had or support a child in some way. I think there's a little more to it than having the biological ability to reproduce.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

“Up where the smoke is all billered and curled
'Tween pavement and stars is the chimney sweep world
When there's 'ardly no day nor 'ardly no night
There's things 'alf in shadow and 'alfway in light" ~ The New Christy Minstrels

#412885 - 02/17/10 03:50 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: K_Syn]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

And if you look at children as a burden and a punishment then in my opinion you are not a Satanist.

I don't view children themselves as a burden. What I view as an unnecessary burden, for ME, would be the role of being a parent. I simply weighed the pros and cons, and made the decision to remain childfree*. Satanism is a religion for individuals, and if a Satanist weighs the options and decides that they want to be a parent, then it's none of my damn business.

(* - Considering that both the High Priest and High Priestess of the Church of Satan came to the same personal decision for themselves, I'd hardly call it unsatanic.)

#412887 - 02/17/10 04:08 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: K_Syn]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

If you look at your OWN children as burdens and punishments, I'd say you have to seriously consider how that is affecting your kids. Fucking them up is certainly not Satanic.

But that sentiment is not unSatanic in itself. Children are a burden. A burden that many gladly, joyfully, ecstatically bear. But not this Satanist.

#412888 - 02/17/10 04:12 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Bill_M]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

I don't view children themselves as a burden. What I view as an unnecessary burden, for ME, would be the role of being a parent. I simply weighed the pros and cons, and made the decision to remain childfree*. Satanism is a religion for individuals, and if a Satanist weighs the options and decides that they want to be a parent, then it's none of my damn business.

(* - Considering that both the High Priest and High Priestess of the Church of Satan came to the same personal decision for themselves, I'd hardly call it unsatanic.)

I couldn't have said it better myself!

#412925 - 02/17/10 09:41 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Frankly, they scare me.

In all honesty though, I do like children. I am planning on having them. And not because of a twisted interest to see a recreation of the movie "Alien". I just like kids, and I want to experience the joys, hardships, and inevitable bitter, jaded misery of having one of my own.

And when he is eighteen, he's out the door.

#412927 - 02/17/10 10:15 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: TheDegenerate]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

I'm not sure about how I feel concerning procreation. Considering how young I am, I don't really see that as a problem, but it is something I've thought a lot about.

Most kids give me headaches. But seeing as how most adults make me want to shove my head into a brick wall, that's not really a big deal. I've always found young ones to be freakishly insightful, funny, and more alive than most people passing off as having heart beats. Sure, they're loud and messy at first, but I've found most kids who have good loving parents to be well natured by around age four. If they're still a screaming little shit by that point, I say it's safe to blame it on the parents.

While I will agree with Shade insofar as a "good parent" doesn't automatically make a great person, I've had the fortune of having outstanding parents who are outstanding people by themselves. If I ever have kids I don't want to do any less.

Plus, I've always wanted to teach someone how to play drums, and all the older kids are real flakes. grin

As for how many, I'd say two. As cliche as that answer is, it worked out pretty well for my brother and I.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#412942 - 02/18/10 12:16 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: NapalmNick]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Well, the best things in life come in pairs.

Like vaginas.

#412944 - 02/18/10 12:21 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: TheDegenerate]
VictorWolf Offline
CoS Member

Too young to give it much more thought than preventing it right now. I like the idea of children, but I don't know how it would actually work out. Would it be wrong to play potentially traumatic pranks on them? Like having a bunch of friends dressed up like a SWAT team come breaking in during one of their parties?

Yeah seems like a bad idea to reproduce.

#412952 - 02/18/10 12:56 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: TheDegenerate]
Ms. Harlot Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I'm from a very Catholic family, and I'm the last one among my cousins in my age range to not have a child. Personally, I find it a great triumph to not have gotten knocked up in my late teens or early twenties by some drunken "esse", but the rest of my family doesn't seem to think that. Most women in my family were married and popping out kids by the time they were eighteen. I'm 23, but I've already been called a "spinster" and an "old maid" at family get togethers.

I dated a number of men before I came out, and to this day my mother makes comments about how she wishes one of my ex boyfriends had gotten me pregnant so she can have a grandchild. I don't feel the need to plan for children anytime soon, especially while focusing on school and work, and it alarms her.

My partner is indifferent and says the decision is all mine. She didn't want children on her own, but she'd be open if I wanted to try. To me, it's not something to be indifferent about, but that's something to deal with later.

I'm keeping my options open. I think the most "Satanic" thing to do is just focus on your own wants and needs, and not take onlookers' thoughts into account.

Some days I dislike the idea of being burdened with such a big responsibility, and some days I have that strong maternal need to nurture and to care for someone...

Maybe I'll just get a puppy.

Edited by Ms. Harlot (02/18/10 12:57 AM)

#412954 - 02/18/10 01:12 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: TheDegenerate]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: TheDegenerate
Well, the best things in life come in pairs.

Like vaginas.

Personally, I like to keep a few pairs of those on hand. You can never have enough vagina. Read in the paper today they can cure blindness. Which is great, because I think my artificial vagina has significantly dimmed my vision.

Or maybe they were talking about carrots? grin

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#412996 - 02/18/10 11:45 AM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Original Sly]
III Offline
CoS Member

I believe there is not much one can do in such matters. I think it is funny when a person or a couple say we plan to have such and such number of children. This almost always never happens the way it is expressed. One may have enough desire for a plethora of little squirts, but may fall short into financial difficulty, relationship tornado; infertility or several other situations which might not have been foreseeable from the time the number was predicted. I personally will leave it up to chance with a simple dice roll, it matters not to me “I always aim for snake eyes”. What really matters is that I can provide for my child or children to be raised in an environment that will open their minds. That they have the chance to live life in an environment that will allow them to be free of all the corroding mental restraints that by the grace of herd mentality, are allowed to exist and destroy the very foundations that are responsible for the creation of society in which we live. So…that one day by the power of my will, my children will live life with enjoyment, that they may finally one day find their own truth and thrive.

Good riddance to the inferior breed!

#413012 - 02/18/10 01:01 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: III]
Herr_S Offline

Loc: Mordor
I don't have anyone to have children with (and I don't see it happening) and I probably wouldn't make a good father either. I probably won't be very old either so I'll spare any eventual child the trouble.

#413013 - 02/18/10 01:03 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: TheDegenerate]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Quote:
I just like kids, and I want to experience the joys, hardships, and inevitable bitter, jaded misery of having one of my own.

You'll be a good father. You know exactly what to expect. grin

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#413025 - 02/18/10 02:41 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Bruja]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Bruja
Quote:
I just like kids, and I want to experience the joys, hardships, and inevitable bitter, jaded misery of having one of my own.

You'll be a good father. You know exactly what to expect. grin

I have been holding back from answering "none"...because I have a teenager. People sometimes look at you like you just sprouted a second head when you are actually honest about that sort of thing.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#413033 - 02/18/10 03:15 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

I feel your pain. Seriously.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#413050 - 02/18/10 04:09 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Bruja]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
People sometimes look at you like you just sprouted a second head when you are actually honest about that sort of thing.

One of the perks of being homosexual is that nobody expects you to have any children. Sure, I could adopt one, but I'd much rather adopt a cat--hell, maybe two!

#413072 - 02/18/10 06:23 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: M.D. Roche]
K_Syn Offline

CoS Member

How the hell did you come up with THAT idea?

It seems to me you just took personal offense to some of the views expressed in this thread and used that comment in order to lash out against those who expressed them. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

This was not worded right. Yes, everyone has the right to have or not have children. My point was there are people that have children and find them to be a burden they would like to get rid of.
Everyone on this board knows that some looky lou is going to come to this thread and read the wrong point. And we all know this is going to feed the idea that Satanists dislike and harm children. It is a vicious cycle. So I apologize to anyone that I offended, non of this was pointed a anyone specific, it was a point that whether we want to have children or not we still respect and protect them.
If you still all want to take what I say wrong way then so be.

#413079 - 02/18/10 07:03 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: K_Syn]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

This was not worded right. Yes, everyone has the right to have or not have children. My point was there are people that [already] have children and find them to be a burden they would like to get rid of.

Understood. Thank you for clarifying.

#413081 - 02/18/10 07:07 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: K_Syn]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Quote:
My point was there are people that have children and find them to be a burden they would like to get rid of.

I'm fairly certain that your comment could not have been directed at the point that Roho and I were making(that would be ludicrous), but I'll say this just in case there is any confusion.

Children are wonderful, I have a couple myself. They also reach stages where it's incredibly difficult to keep your sanity, much less a smile on your face. Anyone that wants to act like this FACT does not apply to them, well, I'd love to have a front row seat to the show when their illusions get blown out of the water by a smart mouthed, know it all rebellious teen.

THOSE people shouldn't be having kids, cause they're living in a dream world and simply won't know what to do when the bomb drops. Trust me, no one is immune.

Just because someone can be utterly frank about their frustrations as parents doesn't mean they don't love their children. I've noticed that the older your kids get, the less idealistic bullshit you tend to spew out of your mouth about parenting.

End of rant. wink

#413087 - 02/18/10 07:21 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Bruja]
K_Syn Offline

CoS Member

No it was not directed to you or Roho. I understand what you meant in your posts, I was an ass hole teen that pissed off my parents at one time (couldn't have guessed that, right?) I have two boys, one is 7 and the other is 3. Believe me they already make me tear out my hair but my love is still unconditional. I have also dealt with enough children in the 3 yrs that I drove school bus to drive anyone to the funny farm.

#413089 - 02/18/10 07:25 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: K_Syn]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Quote:
I have also dealt with enough children in the 3 yrs that I drove school bus to drive anyone to the funny farm.

Oh, damn. You do get it.

My condolences to you. skull

#413090 - 02/18/10 07:25 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: K_Syn]
TheAbysmal Offline

Lord of Syn,

Did you mean that Satanists, who esteem Responsibility to the Responsible and who do not complain of things to which they need not subject themselves, would place any blame of burden or punishment for having had children on themselves than on the children? I think that is what you meant.

The Looky Lou's will infer all manner of ill-natured purposes, or worse, they will make it so:

Quote:
And if you look at children ... then in my opinion you are ... a Satanist.

Oh, they're all just a bunch of pedophiles!

Not to mention the crazies who, in the seconds between their ludicrous posts and their swift ban at the hands of a moderator, are forever established in Google's archives.

Let them infer. smile Their loss.

Refuse to die.

#413340 - 02/20/10 05:56 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: Shade]
CoffinRust Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Alabama
As Shade and others can attest to, my wife and I have but one human child (five feline children). Our human child is very special, and many thanks to a good friend for allowing us to adopt. If we could have a dozen more just like him we'd take them in the blink of an eye.

wink

CoffinRust.com | On Facebook | On Undercroft | The Compleat Witch Illustrated Bibliography

The Church of Satan Baphomet Altarpiece
The ONLY Altarpiece endorsed by the Church of Satan, using the Trademarked CoS Sigil of Baphomet.
A percentage from each piece sold is proudly paid directly to the organization for this privilege.
Do not accept imitations!

#413446 - 02/21/10 05:13 PM Re: How many kids do YOU want? [Re: CoffinRust]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: In transit
Your Adopted is what I consider the epitome of the perfect child: well-behaved, fun to be around, endlessly fascinating and, above all else, blessedly quiet.

With perfect parents to boot! grin
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

“Up where the smoke is all billered and curled
'Tween pavement and stars is the chimney sweep world
When there's 'ardly no day nor 'ardly no night
There's things 'alf in shadow and 'alfway in light" ~ The New Christy Minstrels

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
11895 Members
73 Forums
43649 Topics
404212 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements