Topic Options
#411621 - 02/08/10 07:30 AM Security Clearances & CoS Membership
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey
I'm thinking about sending in my two hundred but first I'm wondering about something. I have a job where I might have to get a security clearance. I know it's stupid for CoS membership to be a problem there, but let's just say the government can be stupid sometimes and leave it at that. Anybody ever hear of CoS membership popping up as a blip when applying for a security clearance?

#411625 - 02/08/10 07:59 AM Re: Security Clearances & CoS Membership [Re: Machismo]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

The Church of Satan has never and will never reveal the identity of any member. Central Administration takes the confidentiality and anonymity of it's members far more seriously than you could realize. This has been CoS policy since it's inception and always will be.

The ONLY way that your membership in the CoS could EVER be made public or known by anyone other than yourself and Central Administration, and possibly show up on any kind of security clearance, would be a result of your actions, and your actions alone, and therefore any consequences be would your responsibility, and your problem.

If this is of such concern for you, and you are sufficiently paranoid about it, then stop leaving a cyber trail posting on Satanism affiliated message boards.

No one is making you leave clues for the government (or any other individual or entity) to find.

#411676 - 02/08/10 01:32 PM Re: Security Clearances & CoS Membership [Re: Quaark]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
If I may piggy back off of this...

If I wanted to use my driver's license as my government issued photo ID, would there be any problem if I censored the ID number on the scan (using a black bar or something similar)? It's a security measure I might wish to take if sending it in the mail; unless of course I could send all of this information via email. I trust the CoS wouldn't dream of doing anything unethical with such information.

#411679 - 02/08/10 01:40 PM Re: Security Clearances & CoS Membership [Re: M.D. Roche]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

The only reason for the photo ID is to be able to positively identify you visually, should you become an active member some day, that is all.

There is no reason other than that; you are free to take sensible measures to protect sensitive in-transit information you do not wish to risk having intercepted, although I would hazard the risk in the real world is infinitesimal and near negligible.

#411786 - 02/09/10 03:47 AM Re: Security Clearances & CoS Membership [Re: Quaark]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Daark
The Church of Satan has never and will never reveal the identity of any member. Central Administration takes the confidentiality and anonymity of it's members far more seriously than you could realize. This has been CoS policy since it's inception and always will be.

I knew that. But it's good to hear it repeated.

Quote:
The ONLY way that your membership in the CoS could EVER be made public or known by anyone other than yourself and Central Administration, and possibly show up on any kind of security clearance, would be a result of your actions, and your actions alone, and therefore any consequences be would your responsibility, and your problem.

Still leaves the question of whether there might be a problem. That it would be the member's doing and the member's responsibility goes without saying for me. Maybe the member was openly and publicly a Satanist. In that case I could google for it. I'll try that.

Quote:
No one is making you leave clues for the government (or any other individual or entity) to find.

Hell, no one's making me send in the money either. We can move past the responsibility question. I accept 100% responsibility. Always did, right from the start, before I posted a word on this thread or any other.

What I'm doing is cost/benefit analysis. I know the benefit of membership. Pride! Down the road, maybe networking and camaraderie. What's the cost? Two hundred bucks is a drop in the bucket. The only other cost I could think of was the topic of this thread.

#411790 - 02/09/10 04:06 AM Re: Security Clearances & CoS Membership [Re: Machismo]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> Hell, no one's making me send in the money either. We can move past the responsibility question. I accept 100% responsibility. Always did, right from the start, before I posted a word on this thread or any other.
What I'm doing is cost/benefit analysis.<<

Exactly. No one is making you send in the money. And as has already been mentioned - the fact that you are leaving clues on the internet is your responsibility.

If you accept 100% responsibility then I do not see the point of your questions. Either send in your application or don't.

Given your attitude, it's probably best you don't as it seems to be causing you a certain amount of grief.

#411802 - 02/09/10 05:31 AM Re: Security Clearances & CoS Membership [Re: Machismo]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:
Anybody ever hear of CoS membership popping up as a blip when applying for a security clearance?

No. I know several Members who currently hold clearances and the question of religion has never come up during their investigations.
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#411804 - 02/09/10 05:36 AM Re: Security Clearances & CoS Membership [Re: LKRice]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: LKRice
I know several Members who currently hold clearances and the question of religion has never come up during their investigations.

Thanks! That's all I wanted to know. smile

#412480 - 02/14/10 11:39 AM Re: Security Clearances & CoS Membership [Re: SueW]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: SueW
Never a problem.
They did not ask and I did not offer

Thanks! I appreciate the info. smile

Forum Stats
12024 Members
73 Forums