Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#411777 - 02/09/10 12:47 AM Re: I'm living with a psychic vampire [Re: M.D. Roche]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Dear Abby...

There is a difference between someone who is being a Psychic Vampire, and someone who is generally being an annoying pain in the ass.

I have known honest-to-god Psychic Vampires. They are like gnats, and they are extreme in their tactics to the point of being dangerous to the well being of others.

Being moody and acting like an idiot is not what I have in mind when I think of Psychic Vampires. PV's tend to ruin lives. Specifically, they tend to ruin the lives of people who can't make the cut, who can't seem to shake them.

Anyone with common sense and a strong desire to maintain self-preservation should be able to sniff these people out, and at the very least, avoid them...of course, it's a lot more FUN to fuck with them first.

But in your particular case, I would group this in with "common, everyday human annoyances." There are people around. Lots of them. Sometimes, they live with you. Other times, they work with you. And quite often, quite a few of them can be a pain in the ass; yet still be completely harmless, if you know how to deal with them. In my case, I don't deal directly with very many people. I always seem to find a middle-man to do that sort of thing for me. It's also usually someone who WANTS the gossip or drama that I am not willing to deal with.

This is life. These are people. Get used to them, because christ, there sure are a hell of a lot of them around...

#411779 - 02/09/10 01:23 AM Re: I'm living with a psychic vampire [Re: M.D. Roche]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Some people just like things done their way or feel that they can't relax if there is something that is undone. Some get a psychological bonus out of doing more than their share.

I think you need to look at how this person interacts with others, what his background is and so on that'll give you a better understanding of his motivation.

#411806 - 02/09/10 05:48 AM Re: I'm living with a psychic vampire [Re: M.D. Roche]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: In transit
Originally Posted By: MALFORM
Does this story ring a bell?

Oof, it does sound familiar but I can relate more to your roommate.

I fully acknowledge that I run at a faster pace than some. I have a very hard time relaxing if I see something that needs to be done so I do it. Sometimes this can be disruptive (e.g., jumping up to do the dishes immediately after a meal when guests are trying to relax, vacuuming while someone is trying to watch television, etc). So I make an effort to balance my need with consideration for my surroundings.

But I own this personality quirk. I don't expect others to do what I do, to change themselves in order to accommodate me. It's futile and not my goal. I just like things to be the way I like them. I'm not digging for compliments or approval. Per my egocentricity, it's all about me. And I think that may be what rankles and perplexes some people -- the fact that my actions have nothing to do with them.

I might've been snippy too if you had said that to me though. Given your roommate's track record, it kind of sounded like you were nagging him for no reason. I may've even done the entire chore. Not out of martyrdom or passive-aggressive manipulation but because I was so pissed I had to busy my anger out in some way. And, yeh, when I was spent it would've been over, no hard feelings. I don't have the energy to hold a grudge over something so minor. I save my rage for big stuff. Like tail-gaters (not the football weirdos, the people I can't even see in my rearview mirror they are so far up my exhaust pipe).

The fact that his comment stung you so much (that you felt compelled to post about it) might be a warning sign that you saw some truth in what he said... ?
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

“Up where the smoke is all billered and curled
'Tween pavement and stars is the chimney sweep world
When there's 'ardly no day nor 'ardly no night
There's things 'alf in shadow and 'alfway in light" ~ The New Christy Minstrels

#411811 - 02/09/10 07:23 AM Re: I'm living with a psychic vampire [Re: Shade]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
Originally Posted By: TheDegenerate
Anyone with common sense and a strong desire to maintain self-preservation should be able to sniff these people out, and at the very least, avoid them...of course, it's a lot more FUN to fuck with them first.

I think I'm a little wiser after reading some of the feedback in this thread.

Originally Posted By: Shade
The fact that his comment stung you so much (that you felt compelled to post about it) might be a warning sign that you saw some truth in what he said... ?

In the future I think I just need to find some other way to vent about it and wait to see how I feel the morning after (I feel fine right now) before bringing it to a public online forum. Overall it was a bad and impulsive idea, although I did gain a little insight from it.

Thanks, everyone.

#411819 - 02/09/10 08:14 AM Re: I'm living with a psychic vampire [Re: M.D. Roche]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Hey, it happens.

I used to be a real sensitive Sam about things like this. I remember one particular time, somebody criticized some of my work that I had online. I fired back with some nasty email, thinking I was chumpitizing the guy, when in reality, he was the one who had my number all along. A couple of people pointed it out to me, and I realized I was the one with the problem, and not him. Times have since changed; I can deal with people a lot better. But this forum is not known for it's mollycoddling tendencies, and in a way, it may be the BEST place to post these issues...simply because you will most certainly be given a perspective that is far more harsh and unrelenting than anywhere else, and it will really make you think twice about the big picture.

It sure worked for me. After I did some more growing up, I was also able to deal with minuscule things without getting too bent out of shape. But I can imagine there is some poor bastard out there who is doing a destruction ritual once a day due to every Tom Dick and Jane he runs into who doesn't embrace him and cuddle him every step of the way. I worked with a contractor who was so easily angered, that when his boss told him he had to stop taking his computer to work, he pulled a knife on the guy. Now THAT's a lack of perspective. grin

#411843 - 02/09/10 10:00 AM Re: I'm living with a psychic vampire [Re: M.D. Roche]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Yup, live and learn.

I often find myself at a crossroads when another person critiques or criticizes me, because I then have to decide if their criticism is valid, and if their delivery was appropriate, because that will largely determine how I should and will respond in turn.

I for one am impressed with how well you've taken everyone's critiques and advice in this thread, Malform. It shows a lot of maturity, and it speaks well of you! smile

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#411890 - 02/09/10 04:08 PM Re: I'm living with a psychic vampire [Re: M.D. Roche]
Basher Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Mars
Originally Posted By: MALFORM
Does this sound like a psychic vampire to any of you?

No.

#411971 - 02/10/10 12:26 PM Re: I'm living with a psychic vampire [Re: M.D. Roche]
JanusFaust Offline

Really?

You have a roommate who always does the chores?
In that particular situation, he did pretty much all of the chores?

You poor thing.

I must say I more or less admire the fact that you review your part in the situation. Wanting to learn from past behaviour is always good.

I wouldn't per se say there's anything psychic vampiric in your roommate's actions.
Yes, take it as a lesson to take more initiative;
Your roommate is worrying about your end of the deal. That doesn't quite look that good.

But I guess, of all people, a Satanist would have a special someone doing the chores for 'em... coopdevil

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
11895 Members
73 Forums
43652 Topics
404227 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements