Topic Options
#412255 - 02/12/10 05:51 PM The Importance Of Humor
Basher Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Mars
I heard Magus LaVey's posthumous voice echo a few times in here to reiterate important facets of our Satanic religion. Satanists are a serious lot and sometimes we can lose touch with our lighthearted side. Doing so can be damaging to oneself and to other Satanists as well. Remember, humor is a key component to keeping oneself healthy and not unwittingly painting oneself into a corner.

#412258 - 02/12/10 06:10 PM Re: The Importance Of Humor [Re: Basher]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
Hopefully this is preaching to the choir...

#412263 - 02/12/10 06:16 PM Re: The Importance Of Humor [Re: Basher]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Curious, how can one Satanist forgetting their sense of humor be "damaging to other Satanists" as well?

Tell me folks, are there some "Satanic Joke Keggers" going on that I haven't been invited to? If so, I can bring all the non-sequiturs and irreverent nonsense you need, just so long as the beer is free.

#412264 - 02/12/10 06:25 PM Re: The Importance Of Humor [Re: TheDegenerate]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: TheDegenerate
Tell me folks, are there some "Satanic Joke Keggers" going on that I haven't been invited to?

That doesn't sound like a bad idea... count me in!

#412265 - 02/12/10 06:29 PM Re: The Importance Of Humor [Re: TheDegenerate]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Free beer and jokes? Sounds like my kind of party!

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#412275 - 02/12/10 08:04 PM Re: The Importance Of Humor [Re: NapalmNick]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: NapalmNick
Free beer and jokes? Sounds like my kind of party!

Somebody bring the pretzels. I'll bring the tunes. coopdevil

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#412286 - 02/12/10 09:57 PM Re: The Importance Of Humor [Re: Basher]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Hmmm.

What do you propose to do to get those who seem to lack a sense of humor to get one?

Reminds me of trying to get someone who is tone deaf to take up singing as a career.

Or trying to teach a pig to sing, for that matter.

Just annoys the pig, I hear.

#412299 - 02/12/10 11:30 PM Re: The Importance Of Humor [Re: Basher]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
As I have said many times - a sense of humour is the most accurate yardstick with which to measure a man's intelligence.

And I am talking about originality in humour - the ability to manufacture it. Not mere repetition.

For those who know how to use it, humour is a multi-faceted weapon. Implicit truths delivered on a skewer.

It is also a shield that protects us from the demoralisation process. It is a lot of things that I'm not going to go into. But those that are lacking in this area are sacraficial lambs.

#412304 - 02/13/10 12:22 AM Re: The Importance Of Humor [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
S810 Offline

Loc: northwest
I'm funny, but I blame my parents and their goofy genes. Bellbottoms I think.

#412477 - 02/14/10 11:15 AM Re: The Importance Of Humor [Re: Basher]
spook show Offline
CoS Member

Loc: under your bed
Quote:
Remember, humor is a key component to keeping oneself healthy and not unwittingly painting oneself into a corner.

I would agree. This should be a no-brainer for Satanists. However, based on my experiences with some people over the years who have called themselves that, they seem to have never heard of the word humor.

They were much too busy trying to perfect their "evil badass" persona. Or, reciting the words to the latest deicide song. Of course, considering the idiotic lyrical content of that band's "music", I guess that might qualify somewhat as humor. grin

~Anton Szandor LaVey

#412484 - 02/14/10 12:22 PM Re: The Importance Of Humor [Re: spook show]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: 2thenight
Or, reciting the words to the latest deicide song. Of course, considering the idiotic lyrical content of that band's "music", I guess that might qualify somewhat as humor

In his book, Lucifer Rising, Reverend Gavin Baddeley interviewed the frontman of Deicide. I honestly laughed out loud. What was truly humorous (if not offensive) was when he tried to say that he and Anton LaVey are on the same side. Not even close, buddy!

#412502 - 02/14/10 03:59 PM Re: The Importance Of Humor [Re: M.D. Roche]
spook show Offline
CoS Member

Loc: under your bed
Yes, Reverend Baddeley's interview with him was quite amusing. That's what happens when idiots step into the spotlight. He seems to live by the motto, "I don't need anyone's help to make me look like an ass, I do a good enough job of it on my own."

~Anton Szandor LaVey

#412506 - 02/14/10 06:09 PM Re: The Importance Of Humor [Re: Basher]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
In mythology and folklore, even in the tales where the Devil is the bad guy, he is always depicted as having a sense of humor.

I think from the many symbolic attributes we see on Satan, humor is one of the most important because it's the one that holds all the other together.

#412516 - 02/14/10 09:58 PM Re: The Importance Of Humor [Re: Old_Pig]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: Old_Pig
In mythology and folklore, even in the tales where the Devil is the bad guy, he is always depicted as having a sense of humor.

I think from the many symbolic attributes we see on Satan, humor is one of the most important because it's the one that holds all the other together.

Exactly, it fits in so nicely with other archetypal characteristics relating to the devil, such as the “trickster”, or the “deceiver”.

Forum Stats
11890 Members
73 Forums
43636 Topics
404145 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements