Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#412333 - 02/13/10 03:58 AM Big Bang Machine!
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
Some scientists think this will make us understand the universe better.

What do you people think?

I'm asking both scientists, and non-scientists in this forum.

#412342 - 02/13/10 06:14 AM Re: Big Bang Machine! [Re: LightAngel]
JanusFaust Offline

Assuming we're speaking of the Large Hadron Collider at Cern in Geneva;

If I may, Magister (if I recall correctly) Harris had a lovely "Satanism Today" podcast on this featuring soundclips of Stephen Hawking on the Large Hadron Collider.

As for my non-scientist point of view;
I believe that if they can trace bits and pieces of the origin of our existence, then I'm all for it.
Who knows, this knowledge might come in handy some day cool

Edit: the podcast can be found at satanism today podcast 9-9-08.
My apologies for the shameless promotion, I can't help being a huge enthusiast of the show.

Edited by JanusFaust (02/13/10 06:17 AM)

#412343 - 02/13/10 06:20 AM Re: Big Bang Machine! [Re: LightAngel]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
(Heh, I thought this was going to be some strange addendum to the orgasm thread...)

I think I'd rather understand myself better. Got a machine for that? smile
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#412344 - 02/13/10 06:49 AM Re: Big Bang Machine! [Re: LightAngel]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

I know of no scientists who think otherwise. Including a top board member of the project I discussed it with a few weeks ago. And I agree with him completely.

wink

#412368 - 02/13/10 11:08 AM Re: Big Bang Machine! [Re: LightAngel]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
It is a better usage of funds than bailing out a bank or giving a stimulus package.

I am a bit shaky on the theoretical science in terms of some of the things quantum physicists suggest. But the collider is a feat of engineering and that is worth it all on its own.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#412372 - 02/13/10 12:21 PM Re: Big Bang Machine! [Re: LightAngel]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Even though I knew exactly what this was about when I read the title, I couldn't help but think of a gigantic orgy robot.

And Hadron Collider doesn't look much better. grin

Personally, physics was always easier for me to understand than say, chemistry. Don't ask why. But quantum physics makes my brain start to feel unnaturally warm.

But I'm definitely down for understanding more about the universe. The more I understand about the objective universe the more I understand how it applies to my subjective universe. The root of all wisdom.

And the great thing about science is that it has no ego to bruise when it makes a boo-boo. Like a chain-mail suit, finding a weak link only allows you to fix it. wink

So in short, I am simply amazed when it comes to this stuff, and what it represents about the absolute best aspects of our species.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#412374 - 02/13/10 02:44 PM Re: Big Bang Machine! [Re: NapalmNick]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Personally, physics was always easier for me to understand than say, chemistry. Don't ask why. But quantum physics makes my brain start to feel unnaturally warm.

Einstein made me mental. The "laymen's versions" don't even begin to give a sense of how truly weird relativity is.

#412376 - 02/13/10 03:11 PM Re: Big Bang Machine! [Re: reprobate]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
Well, consider the author:

#412385 - 02/13/10 04:09 PM Re: Big Bang Machine! [Re: LightAngel]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: LightAngel

The key word here is "better". What I find hilarious are the Christian creationists and the sensationalist journalists who act as if scientists still haven't learned anything about the physical world, and if experiments "fail" then it would somehow prove the existence of deity by default.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#412389 - 02/13/10 05:06 PM Re: Big Bang Machine! [Re: Bill_M]
JanusFaust Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill_M

The key word here is "better". What I find hilarious are the Christian creationists and the sensationalist journalists who act as if scientists still haven't learned anything about the physical world, and if experiments "fail" then it would somehow prove the existence of deity by default.

Agreed, hilarious!
First thought I had after reading your reply to the thread was a strange article I read awhile ago on the Times Online.

A quote from the article:
“It is based on mathematics, but you could explain it by saying that God rather hates Higgs particles and attempts to avoid them.”

Excuse me? How is that explained again?
Hilarious theory!

#412398 - 02/13/10 06:28 PM Re: Big Bang Machine! [Re: NapalmNick]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Chemistry tends to be less mathematically heavy. Quantum physics requires partial differential equations and understanding wave functions.

Qualitatively quantum physics is a bit easier to follow than when examined quantitatively and that is saying something.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#412402 - 02/13/10 06:46 PM Re: Big Bang Machine! [Re: LightAngel]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
To invoke the old cliché, "knowledge is power".

If the history of science is any indication, the advancement of our (humanity in general) understanding about the universe will undoubtedly contribute to new and exciting research throughout the scientific world at large. To what degree, we'll just have to watch the future unfold.

But personally, the idea of advancing knowledge for knowledge' sake is very attractive to me.

#412407 - 02/13/10 07:12 PM Re: Big Bang Machine! [Re: LightAngel]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
A long as is helps the future creation of a commercially available model, I'm all for it. I could really use a machine that creates the Universe.

#412554 - 02/15/10 06:47 AM Re: Big Bang Machine! [Re: JanusFaust]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: JanusFaust

My apologies for the shameless promotion, I can't help being a huge enthusiast of the show.

He he thank you jack

#412561 - 02/15/10 08:20 AM Re: Big Bang Machine! [Re: LightAngel]
JanusFaust Offline

Originally Posted By: JanusFaust

He he thank you jack

You're very welcome coopdevil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406347 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements