Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#412394 - 02/13/10 06:14 PM Rants that I posted as a blog.
S810 Offline

Loc: northwest
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&bID=528955161 This is a link to a blog I wrote on Myspace. I would like opinions on my writing style and technique. Some of my blogs are longer, but most can be read quickly. Maybe I have a future in it maybe not, but I do have fun regardless of its effect on others. Don't hold back and be specific. I would like to improve in this area and the feedback from many on this board is of high regard to me, Thank You in advance.

#412395 - 02/13/10 06:19 PM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: S810]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
All I get is: "This user has either cancelled their membership, or their account has been deleted."

#412399 - 02/13/10 06:29 PM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: Poetaster]
S810 Offline

Let me see if I can find the link again.
That's odd, It worked fine for me. Maybe if the link doesn't work, you could copy it to your browser. I'm not to tech savvy either, sorry.

Edited by S810 (02/13/10 06:31 PM)

#412414 - 02/13/10 09:29 PM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: S810]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
I had the same problem. Copying/pasting the URL into my browser made no difference either.

#412418 - 02/13/10 10:12 PM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: M.D. Roche]
SteelAndStone Offline

Loc: California
MySpace links are rather iffy like that. Usually, you just need to make sure that you're logged out. The URL in the address bar is usually different if you're viewing something logged into your own account.

First, make sure you know your personal URL (www.myspace.com/whatever). Then log out, use that to view your own profile, click on your blog, and the link should work. smile

The Book of Steel and Stone

#412427 - 02/13/10 11:44 PM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: SteelAndStone]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

#412487 - 02/14/10 12:32 PM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: M.D. Roche]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

"I think a one world government or new world order is not only a good idea, but quite possibly the only logical move to make."

I'm curious what your reasoning behind this might be. It's a very bold statement to make and one that definitely deserves an explanation.

#412509 - 02/14/10 08:13 PM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: M.D. Roche]
S810 Offline

I think a one world government would allow us (people) to focus our resources. Right now there is so much red tape so-to-speak when it comes to dealing with other nations. If we had a one world government we could come together monitarily and physiacally as one planet. I would venture to say that a one world order or government is highly unlikely any time soon.

As humans, we share most of the same types of problems, this is why God would have to go to the way side first. He's not helping in fact belief in god is what actually is pushing us as people further away from each other. All wars have had some form or other of holy war attached to it, if just the belief that god is on a particular side of the conflict.

However, I'm more asking about my style of writing and say editing, as opposed to the content. In this case I'm assuming that the concept of a nwo or gov. was not informative enough. Would you say I should explain in greater detail in the blog? Or were you just asking my reason for wanting one world order?

#412510 - 02/14/10 08:19 PM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: S810]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Originally Posted By: S810
Would you say I should explain in greater detail in the blog? Or were you just asking my reason for wanting one world order?

Both. I thought it was a random statement in a post that seemed to be on a completely different topic, which definitely left me wondering. Might be something to be careful of in the future. For the most part you're on the right track, though.

#412547 - 02/15/10 05:07 AM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: M.D. Roche]
SteelAndStone Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: S810
I'm more asking about my style of writing and say editing, as opposed to the content.

The organization was pretty good on the blogs I read (the two or three most recent). A quick spell check would turn up a few minor errors, but we all have our moments. whistle My only real critique as far as the "nuts and bolts" is the small font size--my vision is not the strongest, and tiny font strains my eyes easily. (On the bright side, the fact that my biggest complaint is the font size is a good sign.)

Originally Posted By: S810's blog
Robbery, Burglary, & Theft. This type of crime should be punishable in what I call a two for one, or balance factor. An example is, if i steal from you, you have lost something that you worked for. In order to repay you I should pay you back what I stole from you, in order to set us both at even. I should then repay you again. So that you may feel the graditude I felt when I aquired something for free when I stole. If said innocent party is physically harmed, the perpetrator shall be made to pay all medical bills that result from his actions. However long they shall last.

I had a thought I'd like to share on this. I pondered crime and punishment myself a couple years back, and I came up with a somewhat different idea for robbery. I agree that the victims should be paid back by the thief, but there is a good chance the thief will have spent the money by the time he is apprehended. My solution was, for smaller thefts, to imprison him, put him to work for the victim, and pay him minimum wage, which would go towards repaying the victim. If he stole items as well as money, he would be forced to give back any items still in his possession.

For larger crimes (say, a bank heist), this would be impractical--I don't know how long it would take to earn six or seven figures at minimum wage, but I know it would be a matter of years. The logistics of transporting various prisoners to and from various theft victims and guarding them while they work would be a nightmare as well, due to sheer numbers. But as impractical as my idea ultimately is, it's fun to imagine some little old lady ordering the guy who snatched her purse to peel potatoes or scrub a toilet with a toothbrush while a beefy guard stands there watching.

BTW, I rather liked your idea of double repayment.

The Book of Steel and Stone

#412580 - 02/15/10 11:35 AM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: S810]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
Your writings reveal inconsistencies:

"We need to come together as citizens of planet earth."

"Brotherly Love is absolute bullshit."

#412676 - 02/15/10 10:03 PM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: M.D. Roche]
S810 Offline

Both. I thought it was a random statement in a post that seemed to be on a completely different topic, which definitely left me wondering. Might be something to be careful of in the future. For the most part you're on the right track, though.[/quote]

Thank you, it does kind of seem out of place in the context of the rest of the blog. Since I could talk at length on the other subject as well, I may have to omit that part from the current blog in order to use it by itself later.

#412679 - 02/15/10 10:13 PM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: SteelAndStone]
S810 Offline

Actually, your suggestion is really more what I had in mind. Your right, many times the money, or items stolen will have already been pawned to spent. I would have the criminal pay it back at a current going rate for said items.

As far as your other Idea on 'VICTIM SERVICE' (like community service only for a specific member of), I think it would work like you said and for say a bank robbery, that should be a repayment to 'society'. I'm not trying to get rid of our prison system. Just streamlining it.

I tell you what, If I ever get into politics, I may need an advisor..

#412682 - 02/15/10 10:23 PM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: Philotechnic]
S810 Offline

Originally Posted By: Paul Landon
Your writings reveal inconsistencies:

"We need to come together as citizens of planet earth."

"Brotherly Love is absolute bullshit."

The first sentence is meant to be viewed overall. Maybe should read more like, "nations need to come together as citizens of planet earth". The second sentence is more referring to the individual as opposed to a collective. For example, my co-worker is an asshole who I hate, but I still work with him reguardless of our differences. Maybe I need to put in 'for the purpose of erradicating large scale war', for the first sentence.

Thank All who have replied with insite. I feel I have already gained some pointers. Outside perspective helps especially when a particular point is unclear.

I'll try to fix the fonts too.

#412689 - 02/15/10 11:20 PM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: SteelAndStone]
Nammu Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Pacific NW
Originally Posted By: SteelAndStone

I had a thought I'd like to share on this. I pondered crime and punishment myself a couple years back, and I came up with a somewhat different idea for robbery.

I've had a thought too, bye bye finger. Watch the burglary rate drop as word spreads. Stupid enough
to give it a second go? Well, you've got nine fingers left and ten toes! .... No molly coddling, prison
or supervision, just one knife happy visit...oh and the burglar pays the doctor bill for the finger, too.
Cost to taxpayers limited to court costs, none of those outrageous $60,000 a year prison terms
(which include cable TV and three meals a day).

Originally Posted By: SteelAndStone

For larger crimes (say, a bank heist), this would be impractical--I don't know how long it would take to earn six or seven figures at minimum wage, but I know it would be a matter of years.

A firing squad (of volunteers) would make bank heists vanish as the criminal would realize
it isn't worth a death sentence. Cost to taxpayers limited to court costs. Watch crime decrease.

Rehabilitation at taxpayer expense? I don't think so.

#412694 - 02/16/10 12:11 AM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: Nammu]
S810 Offline

A firing squad (of volunteers) would make bank heists vanish as the criminal would realize
it isn't worth a death sentence. Cost to taxpayers limited to court costs. Watch crime decrease.

Rehabilitation at taxpayer expense? I don't think so.

I like this idea, it sounds alot like a solution I came up with for the current prison population. Sort of a step one in the reformation if you will. All death row inmates would be lined up in single file. One bullet would be used to its maximum. This would drop the cost and maintenance on gas chambers, lethal injection drugs, etc. Or like in Zion Law, the part of the bible I like, we could stone fuckers in the town square. Then we could sell consessions like a carnival....$$$$$$$. Chaching! Then not only would it be fun for the whole family, but it would pay for itself.

#412699 - 02/16/10 01:39 AM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: S810]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Quote:
All death row inmates would be lined up in single file. One bullet would be used to its maximum. This would drop the cost and maintenance on gas chambers, lethal injection drugs, etc.

Not withstanding the fact that I would love to see some criminals shot in the base of the skull, at what point would Lex Talionis be invoked? Punishment fitting the crime in degree and kind? A single bullet seems a little too easy and not very well thought out, tbh. Edgy and provocative, yes. Pragmatic? Not so much.

#412702 - 02/16/10 03:01 AM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: S810]
Spelled Moon
Unregistered

There was a wonderful essay by Prometheus, on topic of crime and punishment, posted in Essays and Writings part of this forum.

A Remedy for Crime

I thought it is worthy of mentioning here, too. smile

#412926 - 02/17/10 09:44 PM Re: Rants that I posted as a blog. [Re: ]
S810 Offline

The problem is that I'm not a VIP and don't have access to that part of forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
44031 Topics
406341 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements