Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#412902 - 02/17/10 07:04 PM Re: A view on prostitution [Re: Discipline]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

HA! I overlooked that post. It's perfectly clear now. Thank you!

#413093 - 02/18/10 07:39 PM Re: A view on prostitution [Re: Poetaster]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Poetaster
I have never read any studies about prostitution, so I cannot comment on that.

My post was directly related to your question about women, what their role in society was 10,000 years ago, and your seeming skepticism that women had any role at all.

Nothing more.

Well, the topic is about prostitution so my question was in this context.

My skepticism is about women's freedom in society 10.000 years ago, to charge for sex.

The examples that were given are of Aborigines and Natives' tribes, what serves to show how their societies are structured based on gender equality, 10.000 years ago to date. Their way of life has not changed and they are societies of their own, with their own history. There isn't such thing as a profession within these groups. This example is not valid.

#413358 - 02/20/10 07:50 PM Re: A view on prostitution [Re: SINClair]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Quote:
My skepticism is about women's freedom in society 10.000 years ago, to charge for sex.

Purely as a mental exercise, I'd venture that in hunter-gatherer societies with more egalitarian gender roles, sex was probably used regularly as a bargaining chip. Sex is enjoyable, it didn't just become enjoyable after agriculture was discovered, and I'm sure that women have exploited the raw sexual appetite of men as long as humans have existed.

In less egalitarian societies, probably not as much - I'd still hesitate to say never, though.

But, as I said, the issue is more complex than say, "women had no freedom 10,000 years ago, not at all, none, period." In some communities, they did, in others, they had less. Peruse the literature and one can read about those that likely practiced gender egalitarianism and those that were more or less patriarchal.

Agriculture is a newborn babe in the room when compared to the millions of years that humans lived and died the hunter-gatherer way. Prostitution is really nothing more than sexual services offered for some kind of payment - hardly matters if it's twenty-dollar bills or nuts and berries.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#413397 - 02/21/10 04:15 AM Re: A view on prostitution [Re: Marko]
Marko Offline

Loc: Sweden
Just want to take a minute to thank everyone for the inspirational posts on this subject, your opinions actually feels like they are worth reading other then the mainstream crap that revolves around prostitution on other forums.
But you can't stop me burning

#413454 - 02/21/10 07:24 PM Re: A view on prostitution [Re: Poetaster]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
Of course people enjoyed sex long before they learned how to plant vegetables.

They learned how to sell vegetables before they learned how to sell sex, however.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Forum Stats
12015 Members
73 Forums
43825 Topics
405208 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements