Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#412943 - 02/18/10 12:17 AM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Rathj]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Several points need to be made.

To begin with, it is best to begin your own thread, rather than piggy back on someone else's.

The Church of Satan website is the official website. There is no other. There you will find directions on how to join.

The website speaks for itself. If, after spending time there you decide that is not sufficient evidence for you, then do not join. It is not required, or asked of you. Joining is a major decision that is not to be taken lightly.

The Church of Satan does not disclose its membership, nor does it put members in touch with each other, especially with non members.

If, through interactions on this message board, or other places you happen to connect with someone in your area that agrees to interact in person with you, that is their choice and yours alone.

There are occasions when The Church of Satan will place members in touch with each other, and this usually involves a project or some other development.

You say you'd like to explore Satanism? Begin by reading The Satanic Bible. Immerse yourself in all the essays on the official website. Read other works by Dr. LaVey and other members.

Educate yourself first, then take it from there.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#413049 - 02/18/10 04:00 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Phineas]
Rathj Offline

First point taken. The only reason I piggy backed on someone elses thread is because with most message boards, they dont like it when you make a new thread to ask a question about something that already has one. Especially when the question being asked fits under one of the general threads already made. Not sure if its a space problem, something to do with organization or just their policies. Next time I will keep this in mind and post my question in a thread creadted by me for my question.

The one question had about learning of members (if and when I become a registered member) in my area was because after reading some the the different stuff on the CoS website I saw the term The Grotto System. One essay said that was an old system used by members that wanted to gather for rituals and other related vensures. But later on said that this was not being used. On another essay it mentioned that term and had the same decription of it but never mentioned it not being used at this time. It was asked more to clearify whitch way it actually was. I understand the privacy part of this all to the fullest, and the card recieved speaks loud enough if the time arises when it will be used.

"You say you'd like to explore Satanism? Begin by reading The Satanic Bible. Immerse yourself in all the essays on the official website. Read other works by Dr. LaVey and other members."

Heres a short reply to this one (since my first one was starting to get long)

Have read the works of Dr. LaVey. A couple times. Ive reflected on his views. Some I get and agree with, some Ive found that I cant completely agree with yet, but still see the logic behind it.

I might of been a little misspoken in the first post. I have explored the concept and philosophies of Satanism. Now I'm trying to understand the Church and people behind it.

#413061 - 02/18/10 05:05 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Rathj]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Rathj
One essay said that was an old system used by members that wanted to gather for rituals and other related vensures. But later on said that this was not being used. On another essay it mentioned that term and had the same decription of it but never mentioned it not being used at this time. It was asked more to clearify whitch way it actually was.

Just to clarify for yourself and anybody else who might be reading, the grotto system is no being longer used. As it says on the Church of Satan website:

"Over the years, our 'social laboratory' has embraced, disbanded, and revived the use of Grottos as a means by which individuals in geographic proximity form an association for ritualization, socialization, and the pursuit of various projects. We have now phased-out this device once again, since it has become irrelevant in the current existing situation for social interaction facilitated by contemporary means for communication. [...]
With the ubiquity of the Internet and the ease of electronic communication, the Church of Satan has ceased to charter Grotto Masters and we no longer offer the formality of forming Grottos as a mode for our members to socialize or engage in ritual. Our members who wish it now have ample means to find each other and to discover whether they are compatible for social and ritual gathering. Or, as always, they may opt to keep to themselves."

The boldface emphasis is mine. Basically, in this day and age of the internet and message boards such as the one you're reading now, there's no need to set up a grotto. If you're a COS member and you want to get together with other COS members for ritual or some other project, the networking benefits of the internet alleviate the need for setting up an official grotto through central headquarters.

Quote:
I have explored the concept and philosophies of Satanism. Now I'm trying to understand the Church and people behind it.

At its simplest, the Church of Satan is the organization that represents the philosophy of Satanism as described in Anton LaVey's The Satanic Bible. It's very helpful to have a single organization with qualified people who can represent us in media interviews, legal situations, and what not. The organization also consists of a cabal of members who joined because at the very least, they feel they resonate with that philosophy. So to see what the organization is doing, you look at what the members are doing.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#413063 - 02/18/10 05:17 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Bill_M]
Rathj Offline

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I did read that statement, but could swear I had seen something along those lines somewhere else on the CoS website, that did not imply the same thing. Most likely I misread.

#413068 - 02/18/10 06:07 PM Re: Questions on basic COS membership. [Re: Rathj]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
You're welcome. It's also possible that you may have read some older articles on the subject, perhaps from an older essay of Anton LaVey's, or an old interview, etc., written back before the policy had changed. In general, the website is the best updated source for information about how the Church of Satan operates. Of course when it comes to the philosophy, everything in The Satanic Bible still applies.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements