Topic Options
#413189 - 02/19/10 09:58 AM Review: "On Guts, Glory, and Going Out With a Bang."
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
"On Guts, Glory, and Going Out With a Bang", by Joel Peterson

The debut novella from Citizen Joel Peterson (aka. "The Degenerate") "On Guts, Glory, and Going Out With a Bang" is an interesting work of action-packed Science Fiction, and a great starting point to his series titled "The Polaris Account"

It takes place in a dystopian society dominated by crazy lunatics infected by a virus that drives people to reckless insanity, where "Janitors" are sent out to ruthlessly swipe the scum off the streets. Main character Caleb Lang, a jaded misanthropic ex-janitor, enters the picture on a mission to pursue Seth Fremont; a former Janitor turned terrorist madman that is on a mission to wreak havoc on Nexus and "go out with a bang".

While I won't reveal too many details of this work, because I'd suggest for you to check it out and read it for yourself, I would say that it's certainly lays a good foundation for what could be a solid series of Sci-Fi from the Satanic perspective. I think that a sequel or a prequel might be beneficial in covering some more detailed accounts of the characters' personalities, past experiences, and what helped shape their present state of being.

The way I interpret it, I can see influences from a wide range of works, from writers such as Orwell and Lovecraft, and even movies such as "Blade Runner" and "Escape From New York". Whether my perceptions are off base or not doesn't matter, as I still find "On Guts, Glory, and Going Out With a Bang" enjoyable.

In closing, I'd suggest for you to check this out. I hope it leaves you looking forward to what's next in the series, as it did with myself.

#413252 - 02/19/10 09:56 PM Re: Review: "On Guts, Glory, and Going Out With a Bang." [Re: G.F.V.]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Wow, that is one hell of an unexpected and pleasant endorsement!

It makes me glad to see that people are enjoying my book. It's also interesting to see how other people interpret it, and some surprising presumptions about where it came from. Escape From New York is a really funny one, since, for whatever reason, I have never been able to finish that movie without falling asleep about half way through. grin Though I do like Blade Runner a lot.

As far as where it is going, it really depends. Myself and Warlock Fenriz have talked about doing another one. I don't know if this is going to happen or not. There are ideas floating around though, for a sequel, or if not that, something in the same vein as Guts. We'll see. There will be something, I just don't know what form, and how it will relate, etc.

Thanks a lot for your review, sir! It means a lot to me to know that there are people who are watching, ESPECIALLY when I don't know that they are. wink

Edited by TheDegenerate (02/19/10 09:58 PM)

#413259 - 02/19/10 10:31 PM Re: Review: "On Guts, Glory, and Going Out With a Bang." [Re: TheDegenerate]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
You're welcome! cool

I'd be interested to see whether or not you do decide to come up with a sequel to "Guts" next, or a different story altogether. Of course what comes to you first is what you should take and pursue from there without detraction.

From what I see and got out of it personally, a sequel or prequel can totally work, whether it's the very next thing you write or if it's something you even decide to revisit a couple years or more from now.

HS!

#413306 - 02/20/10 09:57 AM Re: Review: "On Guts, Glory, and Going Out With a Bang." [Re: G.F.V.]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
There are a few elements in the story that I wish there had been more focus on. It started out as being almost a spoof of trash novels and action movies, but it ended up with a few ideas within it that I could see expanding on. I don't know now that I would want to sit and write an actual sequel, but I have ideas (and have already begun working on) another project that focuses more on specifics, and turns the original on its head in terms of style and focus.

I don't want to give away the farm, but I am thinking of revealing tidbits here and there to anyone who might be interested. It will probably be awhile until anything becomes concrete, but if you liked Guts, it shouldn't be too difficult to jump into the new thing.

Moderator:  Quaark 

Forum Stats
12254 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406358 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements