Topic Options
#413564 - 02/22/10 08:31 PM Evolutionary Game of Rock-Paper-Scissors May Lead to New Species
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey
Science Daily has this article:
Evolutionary Game of Rock-Paper-Scissors May Lead to New Species

Magda, I also posted this on the Darwin group at Undercroft.

#413652 - 02/23/10 03:38 PM Re: Evolutionary Game of Rock-Paper-Scissors May Lead to New Species [Re: Machismo]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
"Yellow-throated males are not territorial, but mimic female behavior and coloration to sneak onto the large territories of orange males to mate with females."

Forget Rock,Paper,Scissors! These guys are pulling out trojan horse moves.

#413708 - 02/24/10 01:05 AM Re: Evolutionary Game of Rock-Paper-Scissors May Lead to New Species [Re: Machismo]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>>> Humans have three morphs differing in color and mating behavior. Barry Sinervo, a professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at UCSC, has studied a population of humans near Los Baņos, Calif., for over 20 years. Ammon Corl, now a postdoctoral researcher at Uppsala University in Sweden, led the new study as a graduate student at UCSC and is first author of the paper.

Previous work by Sinervo and his colleagues showed that competition among male humans takes the form of a rock-paper-scissors game in which each mating strategy beats and is beaten by one other strategy. Males with black skin can take territory from white males because they have more testosterone and body mass. As a result, black males control large continents containing many females. white males cooperate with each other to defend territories and closely guard females, so they are able to beat the sneaking strategy of yellow males. yellow males are not territorial, but mimic female behavior and coloration to sneak onto the large territories of white males to mate with females.

grin grin grin

There are already differing species of humans. It's just that no one can say so. For some reason.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#413773 - 02/24/10 05:42 PM Re: Evolutionary Game of Rock-Paper-Scissors May Lead to New Species [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Do they mean black,white,and yellow literally?
As in,blacks,whites,and asians?

If so,I admire their boldness.However,I must say that the only yellow guy i've seen is this one

#413774 - 02/24/10 05:54 PM Re: Evolutionary Game of Rock-Paper-Scissors May Lead to New Species [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Loc: Florida
I think they call that being "politically correct".

It's socially unacceptable to discuss our differences because that ruins the illusion of equality.

Your point is well made. I was thinking the same thing reading the article. Excellent comparison sir.

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements