Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#417148 - 03/29/10 04:59 PM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: Murkylight]
Alleycat Devil Offline

Loc: MB, Canada
I'm chuckling becuse some short-sighted school administrators got beaten down with a sack of publicly declaired indignation swung by an 18 year old girl.

Frankly I'm suprised the adminsitration diddn't take the opertunity to pin itself another good-guy badge by encourging the girl to take her partner to the event host by the school, and publicly advertising as loudly as possible that the school was "SUPERSPECIALHAPPYSUPPORTIVEGEEGOLLY" about it.

Lies or not, that at least would have been a semi-intelligent response to a powder-keg issue like this one.

#417151 - 03/29/10 05:58 PM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: Alleycat Devil]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Alleycat, such is the nature of bureaucrats. I think a person becomes so tight-assedly fixated on rules, regulations, federal standards, test scores, the board of directors, and who might sue that they just dispense with all common sense, and all true big-picture-oriented PR savvy, so that they just end up shooting themselves in the foot anyway.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#417184 - 03/30/10 01:25 AM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: TrojZyr]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: TrojZyr
Alleycat, such is the nature of bureaucrats. I think a person becomes so tight-assedly fixated on rules, regulations, federal standards, test scores, the board of directors, and who might sue that they just dispense with all common sense, and all true big-picture-oriented PR savvy, so that they just end up shooting themselves in the foot anyway.

I think that is very true. But also, being administrators, not creators of rules, they invest themselves in their ability to do so.

So admitting that they were wrong is a blow to their self-esteem, which also takes them into a frightful territory where there may be more than one way to interpret the rules.

They are more invested in ensuring that they can't be proved to have done something wrong in the past, than in the opportunity offered to do something right. Which is ok, as long as there is somebody higher in the hierarchy who can keep the big picture and overrule when needed. But sometimes they get promoted all the way up there, and you get results like this.

#417204 - 03/30/10 09:18 AM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: verszou]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Originally Posted By: verszou
So admitting that they were wrong is a blow to their self-esteem, which also takes them into a frightful territory where there may be more than one way to interpret the rules.

Indeed, and that the children and adults might come to see them as paper tigers is more frightening still.

Quote:
They are more invested in ensuring that they can't be proved to have done something wrong in the past, than in the opportunity offered to do something right.

And that is why counterproductive pride is a Satanic Sin. Eventually, your whole life can come to revolve around generating increasingly-elaborate excuses for behavior, and going to greater and greater lengths to cover your ass. Really, it's just easier to say, "My bad," and move on.

Quote:
Which is ok, as long as there is somebody higher in the hierarchy who can keep the big picture and overrule when needed. But sometimes they get promoted all the way up there, and you get results like this.

The Peter Principle, they call it.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#417273 - 03/31/10 05:15 AM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: TrojZyr]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#417396 - 04/01/10 12:37 PM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: ROA]
Dark_Adept Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: High Hades
They need to get with the program...on a personal note, that's one of the hottest bbw lesbians I've seen persecuted in a podunk backwoods state. coopdevil That being said, on a more political note, that's been commonplace in So Cal since the 90's rolled around and the hangover of guys in fishnet stockings and day-glow ensembles carried over into effeminate overtones and gay acceptance. It's actually becoming chic in the high school scene (from talking to some younger relatives) to actually be lesbian openly and acceptable; more commonplace than once probably thought to be. Of course as Bill M. said, the southern states tend to hold on to that "idiocracy" of self-serving morality and hypocritical self deceit rather than focusing on real issues of concern in high school which apparently seems to be more "columbine types" trying to blow up or mass murder their fellow students, not "Victor/Victoria" trying to crash their prom. Once again, a typical case of poor priority judgment.

#417468 - 04/01/10 10:39 PM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: Old_Pig]
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Old_Pig
So they didn't let her go to a glorified kiddie party. Boo-hoo!

I remember when "oppressed" meant 30 years of forced labor in Siberia.

PS: I'm not siding with the bible-thumping assholes, I’m just amused by how lightly the word “oppressed” is thrown around nowadays. The famous Monty Python sketch comes to mind.

Well yes, I'm sure there's always some random African being set ablaze with gasoline while being restrained by a car tire but of course that has no relation to the progression of American values and civil liberties.

This is quite simply as oppressive as it is, no more and no less because of the level of oppression elsewhere. Further, being that it is as oppressive as it is: it stinks.

With all "due" respect.

#418001 - 04/07/10 04:54 AM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: Bill_M]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

#418004 - 04/07/10 07:23 AM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: MagdaGraham]
verszou Offline

Well, as I've said a few times in my life, when things didn't go the way I'd planned or wanted - at least you know who your friends are. No need to concern yourself with fitting in with those others.

#418006 - 04/07/10 07:54 AM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: verszou]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: verszou
Well, as I've said a few times in my life, when things didn't go the way I'd planned or wanted - at least you know who your friends are. No need to concern yourself with fitting in with those others.

Very true. In this particular case there is no way the young lady could have predicted this would all explode to the degree that it has, inucurring international media exposure.

#418007 - 04/07/10 08:22 AM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: ROA]
LightAngel Offline

Maybe music will help her, art is always better than fighting against monkeys devilchili

B-52's - Devil in my car

#418174 - 04/09/10 04:39 AM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: LightAngel]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

#419302 - 04/22/10 06:16 AM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: MagdaGraham]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

#419305 - 04/22/10 06:55 AM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: MagdaGraham]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
Quote:
The lesbian teenager from Mississippi who challenged her school district's ban on same-sex prom dates is seeking unspecified monetary damages, claiming she was publicly humiliated.

Okay, now she's going too far.

#419308 - 04/22/10 07:25 AM Re: Oppressed lesbian student fights back [Re: M.D. Roche]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Mining from the situation the most that is possible.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Forum Stats
12104 Members
73 Forums
43869 Topics
405514 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements