Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#417870 - 04/05/10 07:58 PM Law Enforcement & Satanism
lhpjeffery Offline

Loc: Ohio
So, I just returned from my orientation for the Police Academy & something was brought up that I found to be pretty darn cool. I'll get to that in a moment. My original goal about a year or so ago was to become a Nutritionist, because health/fitness is a huge passion of mine. However, I pondered on the idea & realized that my true calling was law enforcement. My father's a twenty-eight year veteran for the Highway Patrol & the last fifteen years of his career he worked in plain clothes, investigating crimes committed on state property. My uncle, which is my father's brother currently works at a local department, here in Southwestern, Ohio, which is right by Miami University. In fact, I've been riding along with him as of late, observing on the job. So, upon my realization that I wanted to pursue law enforcement I enrolled in a local academy to become OPOTA certified.

Today was orientation. We met in the forum to discuss the things in which we need to bring on our first day of classes, which is going to be the 12th of this month, next week, a day after my birthday. Yes, Dr. LaVey & I share the same birthday, pretty darn cool too. Our instructor, who is a police officer informed us we could not have any facial hair while going through the academy. What was said next took me my surprise, being a lifelong Satanist. He stated: "Absolutely no facial hair, goatees or Devil goatees like...oh, Anton LaVey." I was pretty taken back by the fact, because what are the odds? However, I started thinking to myself, I wonder what his views on LaVey & the CoS are exactly. I've been to a few seminars put on by cops & FBI agents that delved into the Left-Hand Path & all have seemed to have a clouded, distorted view on what the CoS represents & is about.

I'm not sure if there are any police officers here, on this board, even though I know many are card carrying members. I must inquire though, if there are & you have no problem stating that you're in the line of work that you are, has this ever been an issue for you &/or hindered your career(s) in any way shape or form? I personally don't feel a need to state my religious philosophy/beliefs to my employer, but I'm also not one who will be stifled if he is asked either. I've come up with a pretty good answer to those who ask me what my religious beliefs entail & that is...

"My life's philosophy coincides with the Left-Hand path, set forth by the late Dr. Anton Szandor LaVey." Typically speaking, I tend to get confused looks from most & they move on from there, though if asked to go into more detail I typically have no problem in doing so. However, since I have decided to pursue a career in law enforcement I'm thinking that I should stay quiet on the situation if asked, for many don't seem to know much about Satanism & its belief(s)/philosophy. Any advice from members, non-members would be much appreciated too. If I'm not mistaken the military now recognizes Satanism as a religion. If I'm incorrect, please feel free to correct me. It's a dangerous slope & I've since invested a lot of time & money into pursuing this & don't wish to shoot myself in the foot early on, or even later down the line. I find self-preservation is indeed, the highest law & want to make the most/best out of my career.

I do believe that even in law enforcement though, they're unable to hire/not hire you based on: religion or sexual preference. However, I do know if an agency or department see red flags that they deem as being, red flags they will find a way around not hiring you. Either way, I wanted to share with you all my experience today, for I found it quite amusing & I'd also like some feedback/advice as to what you might do in my situation. Keep mum, or wear it on your sleeve if asked/brought up.

Thank you!

HS!

#417872 - 04/05/10 08:14 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: lhpjeffery]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I worked for a local police department for some time. Two people struck me during that time:

- The Captain collected hearses, which he named and enjoyed driving around town while wearing a Hawaiian shirt. He also collected Nazi memorabilia.
- After I left the department I ran into a sergeant at the grocery store. He was wearing a red t-shirt with a Baphomet and the text "In memory of Anton LaVey."

#417873 - 04/05/10 08:22 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
lhpjeffery Offline

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
I worked for a local police department for some time. Two people struck me during that time:

- The Captain collected hearses, which he named and enjoyed driving around town while wearing a Hawaiian shirt. He also collected Nazi memorabilia.
- After I left the department I ran into a sergeant at the grocery store. He was wearing a red t-shirt with a Baphomet and the text "In memory of Anton LaVey."

Very, very cool! Thanks for sharing & thanks for responding to my thread. I've often told many people that most cops aren't exactly as you may think they are. To pursue a career in this line of work takes a certain type of person & is not just a job, but a lifestyle change too, for some, though I've been around said line of work ever since I can remember. There's a huge dichotomy of personalities & I've met quite a few who have a love for the macabre.

#417879 - 04/05/10 08:54 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: lhpjeffery]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

I am in the Army, but I haven't known any Soldiers that are Satanists that I am aware of.

If you look on RLAS (a Military program that contains personnel information such as religion, race, etc, you will find every Judeo-Christian denomination possible, as well as many other religions, including Wicca. However, there is no option for Satanism/Church of Satan.

My unit found out about my religion, I didn't advertise, but it hasn't hindered me one bit, and hasn't caused other people to treat me differently. If anyone does have a problem with it though, they are professional enough to not bring it up.

Usually though, if asked about my religion, I generally say I am an Atheist. It sure saves a lot of explaining.

Edited by SomethingLikEvil (04/05/10 10:09 PM)
Edit Reason: RLAS, not ITARS; addition of text

#417881 - 04/05/10 09:05 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: lhpjeffery]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Originally Posted By: lhpjeffery

I do believe that even in law enforcement though, they're unable to hire/not hire you based on: religion or sexual preference. However, I do know if an agency or department see red flags that they deem as being, red flags they will find a way around not hiring you.

Yep.

I also figure, it pays to have your co-workers and superiors like and/or respect you, because even when they can't openly discriminate against you, or fire you, they may still be able to find ways to make your life that much more uncomfortable or unpleasant. (And, it may not always be completely conscious and premeditated, either.)

But, I salute your choice to pursue this particular line of work! It's difficult (I've heard), but I hope it turns out to be rewarding for you. Here's to catching bad guys and helping good folks!

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#417885 - 04/05/10 09:14 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: lhpjeffery]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

As I have mentioned before in this forum, those who think that they are able to "talk sense" to someone in a job related situation regarding Satanism are setting themselves up for a rude awakening. Is there a chance nothing will happen? Of course. Are you willing to risk it, though.

Once you let the cat out of the bag, it doesn't go back in. Several people here have found out, the hard way, that so called open minded, understanding ones, whether they be friends or family, are the very ones that will create problems should the opportunity arise.

Satanism doesn't demand martyrs. It demands, among other things, applied intelligence.

If you choose to reveal yourself to a chosen few at work, and it comes back to bite you, well, you will have no one to blame but yourself.

Forewarned is forearmed. The choice is yours.

PS: There is no such thing as "LaVeyan" Satanism.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#417887 - 04/05/10 10:05 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: Phineas]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Excellent advice Magister Phineas!

In my experience keeping Satanism hidden is like wearing a bullet-proof vest. I actually perform better at work knowing I have an edge nobody else has-I am a Satanist. What good is a secret weapon if it's not a secret anymore?

#417892 - 04/05/10 10:56 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: Phineas]
lhpjeffery Offline

I appreciate all of the replies I've received thus far. All in which I concur with too. My folks & I are extremely close, however, in order not to rock the boat, they aren't aware of my being a Satanist. Reason being, it would only hinder our relationship in the long run & religion to me is a personal choice & again, self-preservation is above all else, the highest law. Again, I appreciate all of the feedback thus far & welcome more, be it positive/negative.

As far as LaVeyan Satanism goes, you're correct. There is but one CoS & one Satanic philosophy, all others are reverse Christians who believe in fairy tales & should never label themselves Satanists. So, I suppose I misspoke.

#417893 - 04/05/10 10:58 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: lhpjeffery]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
For what it's worth, I'm in the process of joining the Navy. It's my second attempt since graduating college, so now I am officially qualified. They asked my religion and I proudly said "Satanist" and that is what they put into their information.

The recruiter said "You really want me to put that?" Of course I did and I explained to him that it's a legal and officially recognized religion and he had no problem with it.

That may be my weakness. I haven't really been one to care what people think of me personally, especially my decision to openly advocate Satanism. If people don't like it, I really don't care. Naturally this means that I don't bring it up unless it is necessary. I don't think it's necessary for an employer to know, but anyone I consider a friend, why not? It's never hurt before.

#417894 - 04/05/10 11:04 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: Adveser]
lhpjeffery Offline

Originally Posted By: Adveser
For what it's worth, I'm in the process of joining the Navy. It's my second attempt since graduating college, so now I am officially qualified. They asked my religion and I proudly said "Satanist" and that is what they put into their information.

The recruiter said "You really want me to put that?" Of course I did and I explained to him that it's a legal and officially recognized religion and he had no problem with it.

That may be my weakness. I haven't really been one to care what people think of me personally, especially my decision to openly advocate Satanism. If people don't like it, I really don't care. Naturally this means that I don't bring it up unless it is necessary. I don't think it's necessary for an employer to know, but anyone I consider a friend, why not? It's never hurt before.

I applaud your confidence in yourself & the religion/philosophy in which you hold dear to your heart. Were you able to write a brief explanation as to what being a Satanist meant? The more I've thought about this, while reading the handbook in which I was given earlier tonight, as well as after reading the replies here I find much validity in hiding in the shadows & practicing what Satanism is, for it's a religion/philosophy that you're born into, not made into & living by example & the principles set forth by Anton LaVey.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck in your career! I just finished watching disc 3 of Navy Seal training at B.U.D.S. Very intense stuff indeed!

#417908 - 04/06/10 12:33 AM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: lhpjeffery]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't have to write anything about it, just verbally informed him that I was quite serious. He more than likely thought I was joking. When he gave me my paperwork to take the ASVAB exam, he did put it in there, which is good because whenever I go to boot camp, I can bring my Satanic Bible and any other works to read during the boring times.

...and Thank You for choosing to be a police officer, I admire your courage and commitment in such a difficult task. As for me, I'm taking the real chickenshit way out going into (hopefully advanced) electronics because that is what I have a degree in.

#417933 - 04/06/10 09:34 AM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: Adveser]
Iscariot Offline

Loc: United States
Originally Posted By: Adveser

"You really want me to put that?"

Good luck getting it on your dogtag. haha. From what I've read they don't even put 'Atheist' on the dog tags anymore. Just 'Other' or 'None Specified.'

"Damn it, it's Christianity or nothin!"

#417936 - 04/06/10 11:34 AM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: Iscariot]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

Actually, they do put "Satanist" on dog-tages, just take a look at mine.

Attachments
IMG_0466.JPG (134 downloads)

#417945 - 04/06/10 01:21 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Iscariot Offline

Loc: United States
Wow, I never would have thought the US goverment would have recognized 'Satanist' over 'Atheist.' Now I feel bad for those who simply identify as Atheist.

Atheist Dog Tags

#417948 - 04/06/10 01:36 PM Re: Satanism [Re: lhpjeffery]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:
As far as LaVeyan Satanism goes, you're correct.

Please note: PS: There is no such thing as "LaVeyan" Satanism.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12254 Members
73 Forums
44035 Topics
406363 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements