Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#417832 - 04/05/10 11:23 AM Re: Indulgence… NOT Compulsion [Re: Adveser]
lhpjeffery Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Adveser
To me, indulgence is pleasure. Compulsion is pain.

Very well put! I like that, a lot.

#417845 - 04/05/10 04:31 PM Re: Indulgence… NOT Compulsion [Re: Zsche]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
My opinion on Indulgence vs Compulsion is;

Indulgence is a voluntary act while Compulsion is an involuntary act. Even though you would be doing the same thing with the same amount of that act, the difference between voluntary or involuntary is what defines Indulgence and Compulsion.

Such a hairline difference is what sets them apart from each other.

You may be able to have over-indulgence on something but if you can stop that act at any time then it isn't compulsive.

If you try to stop but you feel the urge and get to the point of acting out explosively after restraining, that is compulsion.

Originally Posted By: Adveser
When something pleasurable becomes painful, a burden or unenjoyable and you can't control your ability to stop it, it is a compulsion.

Yeah, that is also what I was getting at. smile

My examples of Compulsion would be like those who are addicted to drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes. Even if they try to stop, they have this urge to obey their needs. Example of Indulgence is like going to a random picked strip club or maybe going to the movies. Compulsion is harmful, Indulgence is harmless (if it has nothing to do with compulsive inducing acts).

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#417846 - 04/05/10 04:44 PM Re: Indulgence… NOT Compulsion [Re: M.D. Roche]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: MALFORM
The main complaint I have with Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous is that it's based on the idea that a "Higher Power" can save an addict from themselves. I pity anyone who subscribes to this disgusting notion. They take away the crutch of drugs and alcohol and replace it with another: a "God of our understanding". Wouldn't it be better to learn how to live life without needing a crutch at all? Doesn't that sound more like "rehabilitation"?

My God of my understanding,is Me. I think everyone here would agree with that.

This is really a small point. If crying in these rooms can keep one more drunk asshole off the roads (or at least sober when they are on them) then I don't really care what they do,or who they acknowledge as a higher power. It's one less person I have to worry about killing myself and my family on the road.

#417862 - 04/05/10 06:34 PM Re: Indulgence… NOT Compulsion [Re: LordofDarkness]
Adveser Offline

Loc: California
Thank you both, i'm glad I was able to put it in words that simplified it so well.

I will disagree with you about cigarettes, there are many Satanists who smoke or are former smokers. It is more of a question of the extent and the motivation for the smoking. I for one enjoy it heartily. I might quit one day, but for now it is beneficial. It gives me a few minutes to think and keeps me from eating too much. My family has no instances of cancer, but diabetes is present, so the offset works in my favour. I'm not trying to come up with an excuse, but it works for me.

Edited by Adveser (04/05/10 06:35 PM)

#417905 - 04/06/10 12:19 AM Re: Indulgence… NOT Compulsion [Re: Adveser]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Adverser
I will disagree with you about cigarettes, there are many Satanists who smoke or are former smokers. It is more of a question of the extent and the motivation for the smoking. I for one enjoy it heartily. I might quit one day, but for now it is beneficial. It gives me a few minutes to think and keeps me from eating too much. My family has no instances of cancer, but diabetes is present, so the offset works in my favour. I'm not trying to come up with an excuse, but it works for me.

That's perfectly fine.

I only meant for those who have that uncontrollable urge to smoke another cigarette. I myself am not a smoker nor do I drink alcohol. Everybody calls me the Destignated Driver, Good Two-shoes, or just say that I am pure. I prefer that because it makes me feel that I have control over my own body. Whenever I go out with my girlfriend, she gets an aloholic drink which is usually Taquila or Magarita while I get a soda or something.

I personally don't see anything inherently wrong with smoking as I live with a full family who are all smokers. I asked if they would quit one day and they said they couldn't. That it was something they can't control. This is where I added cigarettes to the issue.

It's a good thing that you still have control though.

I'll give a Hail Satan to that! smile \m/

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12254 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406357 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements