Topic Options
#418120 - 04/08/10 03:19 PM Locating local groups?
medicbear Offline

How would I find local groups around Kansas City? Are there any locator sites or group listings? Thanks

#418123 - 04/08/10 03:32 PM Re: Locating local groups? [Re: medicbear]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: medicbear
How would I find local groups around Kansas City?

The literal answer is that you cannot. Why this is so will be clear after you learn more about Satanism.

Originally Posted By: medicbear
Are there any locator sites or group listings? Thanks

Same answer, no.

I am sure other members of the Priesthood will expand greatly upon this, but this is the short version.

#418126 - 04/08/10 05:04 PM Re: Locating local groups? [Re: medicbear]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Please go to the Church of Satan web page, and read the entire "Affiliation" section to understand Rev. Daark's succinct "no" replies to your questions.

It is understandable that someone who is not familiar with the COS would expect to find groups etc. as that is how other religions operate.

That is not our way.

This forum is your best alternative for the interaction you seek, and if you take time to read all the essays on the COS web page many of your questions will be answered there.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#418131 - 04/08/10 06:19 PM Re: Locating local groups? [Re: Phineas]
medicbear Offline

Gotcha. Reason I ask is being a Chaplain Assistant it is our duty if our Chaplains cannot provide religious support, education or leadership to a specific religion we seek out local religious leaders to come in and provide for our people. Example: Currently I work for two Baptist Chaplains obviously they cannot perform or lead Jewish, Native American or Wiccan services. So we have volunteers from the local community who come in and do such for us.

#418132 - 04/08/10 06:23 PM Re: Locating local groups? [Re: medicbear]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Are you getting the sense that we don't exactly fit the mold like everyone else does? grin

If someone claims to be a Satanist, and approaches your office to request assistance and wants to see someone from the COS, the probability they are not Satanists is very high . wink

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#418135 - 04/08/10 06:28 PM Re: Locating local groups? [Re: medicbear]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Understood!

Satanism is quite different from ALL other religions in a number of ways.

In the context you speak about, there is never any reason that a Satanist would require, per our dogma, the "services" of anyone in the Priesthood. **

Satanism is for the vast majority, a solitary practice, requiring no one but the individual.

Satanic Priests are not obligated to do anything, ever, for other Satanists in an official capacity.

The very concept is contrary to the spirit of Satanism.

Anyone claiming to be a Satanist and saying otherwise has an incredibly poor understanding of the religion they claim to be a member of.

Edit: to be precise, Satanic Reverends may choose to perform Satanic Baptisms, Satanic Weddings, and Satanic Funerals, but ONLY at their individual discretion, if asked privately and nicely by another Satanist they probably already are friends with, and only if they wish to do so.

Edited by Daark (04/08/10 06:34 PM)

#418138 - 04/08/10 06:37 PM Re: Locating local groups? [Re: Quaark]
medicbear Offline

Part of it is we want to make sure they are interpreting Satanic literature, practicing, worshiping, and observing appropriately and not misusing. And ensuring those that are new or interested in learning the religion are being taught the right things. Not what one or two people feel is their interpretation We have a group that already meets several claim to be long time Satanists and some are new. We have to make sure they are being taught the right things and not what one person is claiming is right. I sat in on one study session and one of the new guys was asking about "sacrifices" and one of the guys who claimed to be a long time Satanist didn't correct him or state there weren't anything like that. See what I am getting at we need to make sure that the integrity of Satanism and it's teachings are not being misguided or skewed. Which is why we look to local religious leaders to provide us with guidance on things we are not familiar with. Hence why I have come to this forum. We wish we could solely based on the word of the Soldiers who are claiming to be Satanist but we can't because we have had instances where people have used religion as foundation to avoid duty or malinger and find out in hind sight we were played.

Edited by medicbear (04/08/10 06:38 PM)

#418141 - 04/08/10 06:40 PM Re: Locating local groups? [Re: medicbear]
medicbear Offline

We had an issue with some of our Muslims corrupting and teaching new Muslims wrongly once we found out from an appropriate religious leader what was right.

#418142 - 04/08/10 06:42 PM Re: Locating local groups? [Re: medicbear]
medicbear Offline

So am I correct that for the most part it is to be self taught and you can't really "seek out" others. But rather come across them ie: this forum?

#418143 - 04/08/10 06:53 PM Re: Locating local groups? [Re: medicbear]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Yes, that is the general gist of it.

The possibility exists that not one person you are dealing with meets the standard of "being a Satanist" in the first place.

There are genuine bona fide Satanists in the US military, who serve proudly and with honor, no mistake about that.

Whether you have met one or are interacting with any currently is an open question that we cannot answer, except by excruciatingly tedious case by case examples, which is not our job to sort out, thankfully.

A "group" of Satanists who meet regularly is almost but not quite an oxymoron. Smells fishy to me.

I am afraid that the bad news as far as discharging your sworn responsibilities is concerned, is that there are and will be no officials from the Church of Satan available to step in and sort this out for you, as there are in all other religions.

If you are serious about preventing abuses of the sort you mention, it may fall entirely upon you to study Satanism sufficiently well to recognize bullshit.

That is not a task I envy.

And, I agree with everything Magister Phineas said, and also agree with Magister Nemo that contacting the Church of Satan Central Administration via email is best.

Edited by Daark (04/08/10 08:39 PM)

#418144 - 04/08/10 06:59 PM Re: Locating local groups? [Re: medicbear]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Spending some time with the suggested essays will steer you in the right direction.

Self taught? Not exactly. Self discovered is more like it.

There are no requirements to observe any holidays, no requirements to conduct rituals, no requirements to meet in groups, on and on.

A person sees themselves as a Satanist not because they adopt a code or behavior, but on account that they are already, by nature, living and comporting themselves as such. They see themselves reflected in the pages of The Satanic Bible. Hence the phrase "Satanists are not made, they are born."

Those who read The Satanic Bible and say "I think I'll try this out" are looking for an identity, and seldom last long around us, and move on to the next suit to wear.

If you find and individual(s) who believe in an actual devil, who advocate drug use, who talk about animal sacrifices (let alone babies), that creature is a devil worshiper, someone who believes the Christian mythos involving the devil and what he supposedly does. There is nothing in The Satanic Bible that would lead anyone to conclude any of the above mentioned subjects have to do anything with Satanism.

Satanists pretty much keep to themselves. Here and there, especially amongst the younger ones in the service, there might be one or two who brag about it, and soon learn the error of doing that. Most Satanists are not open about their religion or affiliation.

Responsibility to the responsible. That is a major tenet. When you read The Satanic Bible you will see that it is straight forward, and not really given to interpretation.

I'd keep an eye out for those you described in your post. From your description they seem to be troublemakers.

For official responses to any inquiries you need to contact the COS Central Headquarters via e-mail. administration@churchofsatan.com

#418145 - 04/08/10 07:01 PM Official requests need to go through channels. [Re: medicbear]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:
Part of it is we want to make sure they are interpreting Satanic literature, practicing, worshiping, and observing appropriately and not misusing.

Since you are evidently representing an official branch of the military, please contact the administration of the Church of Satan directly by email to obtain official responses to your questions.

#418148 - 04/08/10 07:57 PM This discussion thread is locked. [Re: medicbear]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Magisters Nemo and Phineas advice for you to contact the Central Administration with any other questions not answered here completes this thread.

administration@churchofsatan.com

Forum Stats
12116 Members
73 Forums
43873 Topics
405551 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements