Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#418626 - 04/14/10 01:54 PM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: Ygraine]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Ygraine
It is one way to kill a half hour. I get into a snit and do it rabidly for a few days and then not again for 8 or 9 months.

It can certainly be addictive, especially when you feel like you're on a roll. I admittedly "binge" like that from time to time, especially over in the math section. Though I've had some productive off-site talk too with some of the top-10 folks who know their stuff.

Originally Posted By: Daark
Yahoo! Answers seems to have a filter that keeps out the majority of intelligence, combined with some sort of hi-tech *stupid magnet* that attracts top quality "dumb".

Answer forums such as Y!A seem to significantly attract the kind of people who insist on asking the nearest human being for answers before they at least try figuring it out on their own. As we say in the engineering world, "RTFM!"

The real tragedy is that yahoo.com itself IS a search engine. So there are lots of questions that could be answered with a 5 second search on the internet, but instead come from people who were either too incompetent or clueless to just scroll to the top of the page and do so. Though I think it's equally silly when somebody answers a question, and cites a rival site like Google as their source.

(Never mind searching Yahoo Answers itself to see if the same question has already been posted and answered there. For example, "Why is the sky blue?" has already been asked there literally over 3,000 times. That sure doesn't stop new people from asking, though.)

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#418748 - 04/16/10 03:48 AM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: Bill_M]
Zaranell Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
I'm reasonably certain that Yahoo Answers has a higher percentage of trolls than other answer forums, but the sheer amount of genuine stupidity is mind boggling.

#418788 - 04/16/10 11:34 AM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: Zaranell]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: Zaranell
I'm reasonably certain that Yahoo Answers has a higher percentage of trolls than other answer forums, but the sheer amount of genuine stupidity is mind boggling.

Sometimes it's really hard to tell one from the other. In fact, I've never seen a forum where it was more ambiguous. For example, a new-comer who thinks he's really witty will post "Is the earth really round? I think it's flat." Then after reading all the hateful replies, he says "Hey, I was obviously kidding! What's wrong with you?" Then it has to be explained to the person that we honestly couldn't tell, because some people really DO post things that ARE that stupid, and with complete sincerity.

This is when I first heard of the term Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing." You have to lay the sarcasm on REALLY thick there to make a joke come across as a joke.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#418820 - 04/16/10 06:01 PM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: Ygraine]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: Ygraine
The stupid quotient on there is, hopefully, way above the national average.Y~

I certainly hope you are right! Some of the questions are from WAY beyond left field. And the answers chosen as the BEST are even worse.

#418821 - 04/16/10 06:03 PM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: DCLXVI]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

The thermal conductivity of helium II is greater than that of any other known substance, a million times that of helium I and hundred of times that of copper. This is because heat conduction occurs via a quantum mechanism.

Second sound is a quantum mechanical phenomenon in which heat transfer occurs by wave-like motion, rather than by the usual mechanism of diffusion. Heat takes the place of pressure in normal sound waves. This leads to very high thermal conductivity. It's known as "second sound" because the wave motion of heat is similar to the propagation of sound in air.

Sound waves are fluctuations in the density of molecules in a substance; second sound waves are fluctuations in the density of phonons. Second sound can be observed in any system in which most phonon-phonon collisions conserve momentum. This occurs in superfluids and in dielectric crystals when Umklapp scattering is small.

#418822 - 04/16/10 06:08 PM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: Quaark]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

grin Gave me good laugh. smile

#420177 - 05/02/10 02:56 PM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: Quaark]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

And of course, we make references to this joke on the site, only to have even more misinformed people post "Why is everybody writing 'baBBy' everywhere today? It's BABY, you morons!"

#420186 - 05/02/10 05:38 PM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: Bill_M]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
Speaking of the absurdity that is Yahoo Answers, have you seen this one? (It has since been deleted by moderators there.)

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#420214 - 05/02/10 11:33 PM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
Foris Offline

Loc: Ohio, United States of America
Originally Posted By: Mr. Obsidian
Speaking of the absurdity that is Yahoo Answers, have you seen this one? (It has since been deleted by moderators there.)
[img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_uYybgEua2dI/S93-vpSzojI/AAAAAAAAAZg/cJsoPa_DuKQ/s800/mermaid_spell.jpg[/im

Oh man... that's just incredible!

For the sake of the gene pool, may she go and try it out.

#420216 - 05/02/10 11:40 PM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
At least there's a consensus:

#420225 - 05/03/10 12:30 AM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: Delta]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Complete bullshit. Everyone knows that rubbing cat pee on your face only cures curses thrown by old Mexican hags.

For an Italian curse like Il Maloccio, the only cure is to receive a happy ending massage from a hot Italian woman.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#420226 - 05/03/10 12:32 AM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: NapalmNick]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
Nope, the cure for Il Mal Occhio is Il Collirio. Collirio di urina del gatto.

Edited by Delta (05/03/10 12:37 AM)
Edit Reason: Added major boobage

#420227 - 05/03/10 12:41 AM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: Delta]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

One of the all time most ridiculous South Park episodes. Second only to the queef episode. zombie

#420244 - 05/03/10 04:09 AM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: HellofallHells]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: HellofallHells
One of the all time most ridiculous South Park episodes.

And that’s saying something… grin

#420272 - 05/03/10 12:21 PM Re: Answering "Satinism" questions on Yahoo! Answers [Re: Mr. Obsidian]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I think, yes, the answer was intended to kill the stupid "witch."
Everybody "knows" mermaids are born, not made. zombie

She questioned the motives of the responer, but still chose it as the best answer?!?!?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  LKRice 

Forum Stats
11891 Members
73 Forums
43638 Topics
404154 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements