Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#418010 - 04/07/10 10:06 AM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: Iscariot]
lhpjeffery Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Iscariot
Wow, I never would have thought the US goverment would have recognized 'Satanist' over 'Atheist.' Now I feel bad for those who simply identify as Atheist.

Atheist Dog Tags

Wow, very cool! Thanks for sharing.

#418013 - 04/07/10 01:00 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: lhpjeffery]
Lust Offline

A friend of mine who resides on the coast of NC recently joined the force. He has been a Citizen of the Infernal Empire for a couple of years now, and he kept me informed of the decisions regarding which department he would most like to work for. Each Satanist that I have met, both online and in person have all shared the same passion for justice that I have. I admire that and salute the men and women of Law Enforcement.

Edited by Tier Instinct (04/07/10 01:04 PM)
Edit Reason: typo
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#418042 - 04/07/10 09:40 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
When I was in the process of enlisting in the Marine Corps, I had atheist put on mine. Needless to say, I never heard the end of it, all the way from my recruiter, to my MEPS liaison, and sure enough somehow my fellow poolees found out about it.

After I got out because of a screwed up contract and re-enlisted in the Army (and made damn sure my job was 100% as an Intelligence Analyst), I put no preference.

Maybe I'll get it changed after Basic (yes, I know veteran Marines don't have to go through Basic -- I didn't even make it to Parris Island).

Oh, and back on the original topic: I'm a Criminal Justice major myself. No family history sans my grandfather, though -- they're all in the medical field.

Undercroft

#418061 - 04/08/10 02:24 AM Re: Satanism [Re: Nemo]
BlackWater71 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
As a current Police Officer in South Central Los Angeles, it is best to keep your beliefs to yourself, until you pass your probationary status. After that speak freely about whatever.

If you do feel the urge to be vocal and you are still on probation with that department, the only thing they have to tell you is "You do not meet our standards, and for that you are being let go."

And no! there is nothing you can do about that, Sorry.

Now, this only goes for where I work. If you are a Cop in Po-Dunk Kentucky, Bible-Belt South, or prestine Bel-Air, Ca. You might want to keep your left hand views to yourself at all times.

Do not rock the boat, if you do not have to.

#418068 - 04/08/10 05:26 AM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: SomethingLikEvil
Actually, they do put "Satanist" on dog-tages, just take a look at mine.

I no longer have my dogtags, since it was some 35 years ago that I left the Army, but mine (issued in Feb. 1969) stated that I was then a Satanist. I got the same reaction from the NCO who took the information to be stamped in them, "Oh, really? What's that? I've never heard of it."
I told him about TSB, and met him later and he had bought and read it through.

#418164 - 04/09/10 01:56 AM Re: Satanism [Re: BlackWater71]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: SouthCentralCop
If you are a Cop in Po-Dunk Kentucky, Bible-Belt South, or prestine Bel-Air, Ca. You might want to keep your left hand views to yourself at all times.

Do not rock the boat, if you do not have to.

I live there,and you have hit the nail on the head.

People worship Palin next to Jesus and Dale Earnhardt here.

#418218 - 04/09/10 03:10 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: lhpjeffery]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
When I went through basic we were allowed to have any religious text of our choice out for inspection. My Sgt picked it up, looked at it, asked a few questions said he had an interest in different religions then he told me he was wiccan. Then a few months ago I ran into a Satanist MCpl, who knew me from this message bored. I was only able to clue in how he knew me because of the ring he was wearing. Dork didn't bother telling me his user name.

#418234 - 04/09/10 09:30 PM A clarification. [Re: BlackWater71]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:
As a current Police Officer in South Central Los Angeles, it is best to keep your beliefs to yourself, until you pass your probationary status. After that speak freely about whatever.

Just to be clear to any casual reader, SouthCentralCop was not answering my post nor referring to me.

#418292 - 04/10/10 12:53 PM Re: Satanism [Re: BlackWater71]
lhpjeffery Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thanks to all who have responded & given me, as well as others some excellent feedback! I start the Police Academy on Monday. Looking forward to getting the ball rolling.

#419244 - 04/21/10 02:17 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: lhpjeffery]
Minus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Circling A Star
Originally Posted By: lhpjeffery
So, I just returned from my orientation for the Police Academy & something was brought up that I found to be pretty darn cool. I'll get to that in a moment. My original goal about a year or so ago was to become a Nutritionist, because health/fitness is a huge passion of mine. However, I pondered on the idea & realized that my true calling was law enforcement. My father's a twenty-eight year veteran for the Highway Patrol & the last fifteen years of his career he worked in plain clothes, investigating crimes committed on state property. My uncle, which is my father's brother currently works at a local department, here in Southwestern, Ohio, which is right by Miami University. In fact, I've been riding along with him as of late, observing on the job. So, upon my realization that I wanted to pursue law enforcement I enrolled in a local academy to become OPOTA certified.

Today was orientation. We met in the forum to discuss the things in which we need to bring on our first day of classes, which is going to be the 12th of this month, next week, a day after my birthday. Yes, Dr. LaVey & I share the same birthday, pretty darn cool too. Our instructor, who is a police officer informed us we could not have any facial hair while going through the academy. What was said next took me my surprise, being a lifelong Satanist. He stated: "Absolutely no facial hair, goatees or Devil goatees like...oh, Anton LaVey." I was pretty taken back by the fact, because what are the odds? However, I started thinking to myself, I wonder what his views on LaVey & the CoS are exactly. I've been to a few seminars put on by cops & FBI agents that delved into the Left-Hand Path & all have seemed to have a clouded, distorted view on what the CoS represents & is about.

I'm not sure if there are any police officers here, on this board, even though I know many are card carrying members. I must inquire though, if there are & you have no problem stating that you're in the line of work that you are, has this ever been an issue for you &/or hindered your career(s) in any way shape or form? I personally don't feel a need to state my religious philosophy/beliefs to my employer, but I'm also not one who will be stifled if he is asked either. I've come up with a pretty good answer to those who ask me what my religious beliefs entail & that is...

"My life's philosophy coincides with the Left-Hand path, set forth by the late Dr. Anton Szandor LaVey." Typically speaking, I tend to get confused looks from most & they move on from there, though if asked to go into more detail I typically have no problem in doing so. However, since I have decided to pursue a career in law enforcement I'm thinking that I should stay quiet on the situation if asked, for many don't seem to know much about Satanism & its belief(s)/philosophy. Any advice from members, non-members would be much appreciated too. If I'm not mistaken the military now recognizes Satanism as a religion. If I'm incorrect, please feel free to correct me. It's a dangerous slope & I've since invested a lot of time & money into pursuing this & don't wish to shoot myself in the foot early on, or even later down the line. I find self-preservation is indeed, the highest law & want to make the most/best out of my career.

I do believe that even in law enforcement though, they're unable to hire/not hire you based on: religion or sexual preference. However, I do know if an agency or department see red flags that they deem as being, red flags they will find a way around not hiring you. Either way, I wanted to share with you all my experience today, for I found it quite amusing & I'd also like some feedback/advice as to what you might do in my situation. Keep mum, or wear it on your sleeve if asked/brought up.

Thank you!

HS!

I worked as a police officer for 9 years. My best advice to you? Keep your personal life guarded. All of it.

"When the great lord passes, the wise peasant bows deeply and silently farts."
-Ethiopian Proverb

#420033 - 04/30/10 03:40 PM Re: Law Enforcement & Satanism [Re: lhpjeffery]
HGaunt Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
I have worked in the U.S. Army and in Law Enforcement. I am now a Security Consultant for various companies. I have found through experience that I now have to be much more careful of who I release the information to that I am a Satanist.

While in the Army I was pretty open about the fact as no one seem to care what religion anyone was other than in passing conversation. Being that most of my duties were performed in Special Operations units I didn't have idiots or narrow minded people around me. I had Satanism on my dog tags and, contrary to popular belief, even had Church of Satan listed as my religious preference on my Enlisted Records Brief. Simply put, I had no issues.

I also spent two years working for a campus police department as a sworn officer. Here I also had no issues. In fact, many christian officers would specifically ask for my assistance when dealing with persons of "alternative"(what does that even mean?) religions.

I obviously did not flaunt the fact that I was a Satanist in either case, Lesser Magic is key. However, in both the Military and Law Enforcement I was really not forced to hide the fact. Now that I work in the private sector (even though the job hasn't really changed) I find that I have to really cover up this fact. I find there are many more civilians that have preconcieved notions about Satanism than there are LEOs or Soldiers (Any Branch).

However, I must point out that my experiences were mine alone and may not reflect what other members of this forum have endured. Law Enforcement varies greatly depending on agency, state and locality.

-Ragnar Redbeard(Might is Right)

#420116 - 05/01/10 08:15 PM Re: Satanism [Re: lhpjeffery]
SueW Offline
CoS Member

Loc: TN,United States
If I might- just a thought-you mentioned your father's longevity with the department- have you told him first? News travels fast.While you are always free to make your own choices- you also get to take your own responsiblity. Personal opinion where he may also be asked about your choice-don't let him be blind sided.

http://singlesmartandsurviving.blogspot.com/

http://darkrae.blogspot.com/

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

A charming woman doesn't follow the crowd. She is herself. - Loretta Young, American Actress

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else. - ERMA BOMBECK

#420192 - 05/02/10 07:28 PM Re: Satanism [Re: lhpjeffery]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Loc: Florida
Thank you, for posting this topic.
I have been considering joining the Police Force.

I'm deep into criminal justice and if I want to do anything with it... It looks like law or cop. I'm really considering the FBI, but I would still need at least 5yrs as a cop to get a feel for it, and to finish my degree.

As far as mixing business with pleasure goes... or even just letting my co-workers get to know me...
It never crossed my mind, to let it get brought up. For the most part, I find, using policy keeps people form asking "It's not appropriate."
I tell them if they want to discuss it, I'll talk to them about it after work... If they really want to know. Most never ask again.
However I find on the rare occasion when they do... Ask if they know who LaVey is?
It doesn't really lead to much continued discussion.
If it does...I wait to cross that bridge when it comes up.

An observation: Few people meet my standards.
On the rare occasion we can share some aspect of this philosophy, I indulge it for what it is. The value of what they offer me intellectually isn't worth the price I pay to risk my secret. If the gain were worth more to me than my risk, I would consider it.
I can count on 1 hand the people who matter in my life, who know and don't care what I identify with.
There my friends regardless, and I'm there's till proven otherwise.

I would expect, that having to put your life in the hand of your colleagues, as Cops sometimes have to. That it would be prudent to build strong relationships, were it shouldn't matter.

So I'd play it by ear, and ask?
Is it necessary to know?
Wouldn't a Satanist give himself away in her/his action anyway? Shouldn't we do the same?
I say keep them guessing.
Then the loser is the one who asks first.
But that's me.

Good Luck, pursuing you chosen career. It's a noble cause. I'm glad to see there are so many level headed, people in the field all over the U.S.

#420343 - 05/03/10 08:10 PM Re: Satanism [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Zero Point Field
I was a cop for six years. I know Satanists that are cops now.

The general consensus is keep your head down and your mouth shut.

In my career (I am 38 years old) I have told exactly ONE co-worker about my affiliation but that was after establishing a friendship with them over about eight years. I felt I could trust them and their discretion and so far have not been let down.

You will see folks tell you to trumpet your beliefs and you will see others tell you to play it close to the vest (as is my personal opinion).

At the end of the day...once it is out, you can't take it back.

You can't "untell" a secret.

This is, of course, my own opinion. The fellow officer I am friends with feels the same and keeps his affiliation on the down low as well.

Ultimately it is your decision. Choose wisely.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12220 Members
73 Forums
44002 Topics
406143 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements