Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#421057 - 05/12/10 10:05 AM Just need some Advice
I'mPerfecting Offline

Loc: Florida
I am strong, resourceful, independent, and as in control of my life as I can be. I don't like to ask the type questions that prompt the one line answers.
Like "Ultimately, it's up to you." or "It's your life, do what's best for you."
I know this already, it doesn't need to be said. I said that, because this is one of those questions.
Please understand, I don't need a rehash of what I already know.
What I need is a better understanding of what I'm getting myself into before I can't go back. Maybe some first hand, "front line" advice. And not the kind Nova Pain is handing out.

First things first. About a year ago, I was put in a position were I had to make some serious heart wrenching life altering decisions. I had to start over, rebuild and reinvent myself.
There are still some days I wonder what the hell I'm doing.

My need for direction, control, and self mastery has lead me to this road. So in an attempt to reinvent myself in a stronger image, I have decided to join the army.
However, I'm sensitive, but having my heart ripped out has left me colder.

I am female not that it matters this day in age, but there are still glass ceilings. Not to mention I'm adorable if I do say so myself. I have a very powerful art of enchantment that I can't turn off. It's so effortless for me it's almost detrimental (i.e. I attract attention). I know that by chasing this kind of a goal will only add more to my appeal. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just that I'm already using very evasive defensive maneuvers, short of beating them off with sticks. So having some real powerful combat training, I figure can't hurt. However I have no idea what I'm in for. Ladies any advice?

Now, it's not like I jumped out of bed, said "hey I think I'll enlist." Even though I feel like that. I don't want to rush into anything I might be naive about.

I've been on the Army website for the past couple of weeks,and they set it up to seem just like collage. I spoke to a recruiter today, and he made it seem more like a job. I know it's more than that, I want it for what I expected it to be, I chance to train physically and mentally for the career field I've chosen (Law enforcement). Not to mention the kind of fire arms training I can't get on my own.

I work a 40hrs week job to get by. I have endurance, determination, and the clever ability to use what I'm presented with to maneuverer my way through the obstical course of life to achieve my goals. SO...
I'm a Criminal Justice major. I haven't pick a specialty, yet and I'm still a year off from being an intern. I was looking seriously at police academy, but I have no formal training. So what better way to get it then to join the army. So I'm planing 3-6 year in the military, possibly the military police, while I work toward my Masters.

Now my questions:
What is it like for females in the military or the police force?
Are there still prejudice I should look out for?
How would you deal with them?
As a single female any tips for keeping the dogs at bay ?
I know sexual harassment works as a last line of defense, but how about some realistic advice to let them down a little gentler than that.
Are the women even still separate from the men in the military? With everything they're trying to change, I just don't know.
Being strong enough for these jobs, do you find it hurts or adds to ones femininity?
I like to hear form both sides on this one.
Are you more likely to get treated like one of the guys?

For those of you who enlisted as Satanist. Did you have to tell your recruiter, or did you just write it on paper work you filled out?
There is a statement on the Army website in the surviving boot camp section that recommends going to church even if your an Atheist.
What do you think is it good advice?
Would you do it, or did you?
Is it just a chapel like in a hospital or is it a service?
With all the conformity required already would you just do it to go with the flow, so your not making waves?
I have no intention of drawing any more attention to my self than I already do.

How hard is it to go to school from the military? Because they made it seem possible and almost easy to do.
Is police academy similar to boot camp?
Has anyone been through both?
How do they compare if at all?

I'm just wondering, any stories or advice you like to share, will help and is much appreciated. Especially from the Ladies who have been down this road. Please and Thank You smile.

~Hail Satan

#421058 - 05/12/10 10:26 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

If you have concerns regarding the physical aspect of training, you may want to look at the Air Force, or even the Navy.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#421059 - 05/12/10 10:38 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Phineas]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Thank you Magister Phineas. I have researched all fields of the military. I'm to old to join the Air Force and the Navy doesn't appeal to me.

I want the physical training offered by the Army. So I'm better equipped for the career in Law Enforcement I've chosen.
I was trying to get a better perspective of what it's like for women who choose to enter such a male dominated fields.

#421060 - 05/12/10 11:27 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Cryptodelic Offline

Loc: Seattle
Hi again

As an aside, I'm curious as to what physical training, specifically, offered by the Army will better equip you for a career in Law Enforcement?

Or, what physical skills do you lack that are needed?

Cheers

L P S Clock: 10:30

#421068 - 05/12/10 02:08 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Cryptodelic]
III Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Cryptodelic
Hi again

As an aside, I'm curious as to what physical training, specifically, offered by the Army will better equip you for a career in Law Enforcement?

Cheers

I have read an article recently and it stated the military/law enforcement and specifically parts of the military revolving around Special Forces such as the NAVY SEALS are mainly out to recruit people who have a history of participating interests in sports such as lacrosse, wrestling, cross country track and other sports that build up stamina, dexterity, more than those sports such as football, baseball and so on.

#421071 - 05/12/10 03:52 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: III]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Sports are a suggestion, not a requirement.

Being in shape and understanding team work is what truly counts.

Knowing the military, they won't care if you have or have not been in sports. It only matters if you can pass the physical entry test.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#421072 - 05/12/10 04:03 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Having been in the Marine Corps as a Satanist, I would suggest just keeping it to yourself. You will avoid all kinds of trouble by doing so.

Church in Marine boot camp was not required, but most recruits, Christian or not, still went because the DIs would have plenty of free time to "play" if you stuck around the squad bay.

I can't speak for Army boot camp.

>>How hard is it to go to school from the military? Because they made it seem possible and almost easy to do.
Is police academy similar to boot camp?
Has anyone been through both?
How do they compare if at all?

School is easy straight from the military. It is easy and pretty much free after the military.

Police academy, though I have never done both I do know others who have, is different and similar. Different in terms of your freedom, time required, and stress level and physical fitness required. There is more emphasis on academics in the police academy than in boot camp. Granted, these are Marines whom I know, so it might be different for former Army dogs.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#421078 - 05/12/10 06:23 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Discipline]
Cryptodelic Offline

#421188 - 05/14/10 05:08 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Alaister Murdoch Offline

I would advise you not to reveal that you are a Satanist. There are a few who can deal with the knowledge appropriately, but I personally operate under the general rule that most are stupid and uninformed.
As far as "keeping the dogs at bay," I would say try to play up the part of a strong willed woman. Most quotidian men cannot handle a strong female figure and are used to commanding the domineering position in a relationship (at least in my observations). Not to say that you aren't a strong woman - I don't know you personally - but perhaps it would help to play that up a bit more. Sometimes it also helps to be distant. I've never had a problem with repulsing unwanted attention, but I imagine it is a different story for women.

"If you desire peace of soul and happiness, believe! if you want to be a disciple of truth, search!" - Nietzsche

#421265 - 05/14/10 10:51 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Cryptodelic]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Hi again

Cheers

Hello, Cryptodelic

I've never run an obstical course, I can't fire a gun very well nor do I have the space to, and I need a stronger self discipline. All of which I feel will better qualify me for a career in Law Enforcement. I know police academy will train me as well, but they only accept a limited # of students. Then only a handful, maybe 5 or 10 will get jobs as cops. So I need to increase my odds considering my goal is the FBI.

Don't get me wrong I'm in good shape, but I know it's not good enough. The recruiting offices do a 4 month intense training to set you up to pass the physical. The Army offers a lot more to further my career then I realized. If I can get in to the Military Police, when I'm discharged I can go right in to the FBI. Not to mention the Army pays to train, I have to pay for Police Academy.

I'm paying for school out of pocket (40,000). If the Army will pay me to further my career and teach me things I can't learn anywhere else then I'm all over it. I only wanted to be a cop, so I could blow red lights with the sirens on. I want to get into the FBI, but to do this I must have prior Law Enforcement experience. The Army can give this to me a lot easier than the Police force can.

#421266 - 05/14/10 10:58 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Cryptodelic]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Thank you for the links.
I only have the one for the Army, so those will both come in handy.

#421270 - 05/14/10 11:29 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Discipline]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Originally Posted By: Discipline
Having been in the Marine Corps as a Satanist, I would suggest just keeping it to yourself. You will avoid all kinds of trouble by doing so.

Is it on your Dog Tags? Does everyone know your religion if it's listed on your on your tags? I guess I thought dog tags are more like a medical bracelet, personal need to know bases.
I don't advertise anywhere but here. Is it only a problem if you advertise it or do your tags do that for you?
Church in Marine boot camp was not required, but most recruits, Christian or not, still went because the DIs would have plenty of free time to "play" if you stuck around the squad bay.
I can't speak for Army boot camp.

I see, that makes perfect sense. Better safe than sorry. The Army site said, shut up and do it, in not so many words.
Police academy, though I have never done both I do know others who have, is different and similar. Different in terms of your freedom, time required, and stress level and physical fitness required. There is more emphasis on academics in the police academy than in boot camp. Granted, these are Marines whom I know, so it might be different for former Army dogs.

Thank you, Discipline.
It gives me a lot more to think about.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little apprehensive about this decision.
I guess these big brass balls of mine, will pay off or get me in trouble one of these days.

#421273 - 05/14/10 11:40 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

I have stated this many times before: I have seen, time after time, on this board, and elsewhere, people who's unbalanced egos get in the way of common sense. They brag about being Satanists just to stand out. They veil this intention with lofty, but empty delusions of fairness in the world, a cause, how they are champions of fearlessness, etc. but in the end, the very organizations and people they swore would not be problematic, the open minded ones who would be accepting turn on them on a dime.

Once Pandora's box is open, its open.

The choice is yours, just as the consequences are yours, and yours alone.

You will only get one chance with the Army, a very large organization.

Choose well.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#421275 - 05/14/10 11:57 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Alaister Murdoch]
I'mPerfecting Offline

I find most men when confronted by a strong willed women get this need for there mothers and act like their 5. I'm stronger than most of people I've ever met.

Thanks for the advice, Mooro.
I asked, because even my recruiter hit on me with the "I'd tap that" twinkle in his eye and a line to the effect of "You could find your self a real good husband in the Army. wink"
This might be true but...why assume I want that? Unless it's because what he wants and he wants to know if I want the same things? Good grief. Sorry just venting.

#421283 - 05/15/10 05:03 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Alaister Murdoch Offline

Originally Posted By: I'mPerfecting
I find most men when confronted by a strong willed women get this need for there mothers and act like their 5.

I asked, because even my recruiter hit on me with the "I'd tap that" twinkle in his eye and a line to the effect of "You could find your self a real good husband in the Army. wink"
This might be true but...why assume I want that? Unless it's because what he wants and he wants to know if I want the same things? Good grief. Sorry just venting.

As to the first quote above - thank you! I needed a good belly laugh - and yes, my point exactly.
As to the problems you are having with you're recruiter (and other similar males) - most haven't "come to terms" with their own sexuality. What I mean by this is that they don't understand it and it develops into a compulsion to slobber on whatever apealling female that happens to pass. But most are idiots, and it becomes our burden whenever we venture from our homes, to have to observe and often deal with them. I haven't got around to reading The Satanic Witch yet, but I would imagine it to contain advice on dealing with your plight. Anyhow, best of luck!

"If you desire peace of soul and happiness, believe! if you want to be a disciple of truth, search!" - Nietzsche

#421290 - 05/15/10 06:18 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Phineas]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: Phineas

This cannot possibly be put more succinctly.

No matter how accepting and understanding somebody may seem in a sit-down-and-chat situation, you simply cannot know what they will do, nor how they will employ the information that you have given them, further on down the line.

#421295 - 05/15/10 08:03 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: XUL]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Zero Point Field
Originally Posted By: XUL

This cannot possibly be put more succinctly.

No matter how accepting and understanding somebody may seem in a sit-down-and-chat situation, you simply cannot know what they will do, nor how they will employ the information that you have given them, further on down the line.

I echo these sentiments. My experience? Six years in law enforcement and a total of about 15 in National Security.

Although I get a wicked bad naughty thrill being in a stealth role so I also have my own kinky reasons in addition to the real world practicality of keeping ones mouth shut in certain career fields.

(Note that in some situations or careers it can be an advantage to be "out"...but those are more in the arts and entertainment fields in my opinion).

#421638 - 05/19/10 10:39 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Phineas]
I'mPerfecting Offline

... They brag about being Satanists just to stand out. They veil this intention with lofty, but empty delusions of fairness in the world, a cause, how they are champions of fearlessness, etc. but in the end, the very organizations and people they swore would not be problematic, the open minded ones who would be accepting turn on them on a dime.

I don't need Satanism to stand out, I do that well enough on my own, just by being me. I don't have any delusion about how the world reacts ether. It's not about attention for me, I can get enough of that in more positive ways on my own.

I fact, I've already have to deal with the underlying repercussions of what happens when you think you know a person.
My ex, used it against me. He always knew and one day it was problem. I got to watch 1st hand how it builds in a person.

My question were asked because of how many people on this site had said they'd been able to do it. No one ever said anything about the problems it caused, except Discipline. So I figured it's best to know how it came to that.
Rather then thinking you can just come out and say it because the question of religion comes up.

I know I should keep my secrets, I guess, I just got to thinking if the other Military member did it, it might be ok. If it's the kinda thing that will haunt my career, I'm better of leaving the cat in the bag.

#421641 - 05/19/10 11:00 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Cryptodelic Offline

Of the few times that I have informed someone that I am a Satanist, just to study their reaction, it has never benefited me in any way, and has caused negative social reactions - even when carefully choosing whom I tell.

People who value a so called open minded approach to life, or see themselves as open minded towards others, are typically only open minded to what they believe.

#421642 - 05/19/10 11:06 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Josephine007]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Originally Posted By: Josephine007

I echo these sentiments. My experience? Six years in law enforcement and a total of about 15 in National Security.

Although I get a wicked bad naughty thrill being in a stealth role so I also have my own kinky reasons in addition to the real world practicality of keeping ones mouth shut in certain career fields.

(Note that in some situations or careers it can be an advantage to be "out"...but those are more in the arts and entertainment fields in my opinion).

Right!
I see you've had quite the career, I know I'm just beginning mine, which is why I was wondering. I know there is no equality in the world, I didn't really expect there to be. I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part.
My experience has taught me the importance of keeping my mouth shut, at work, or any where for that matter.

I'm not in the entertainment business so there is no benefit from putting myself on the chopping block.

Thank you,Priestess Josephine007

#421645 - 05/19/10 11:45 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Cryptodelic]
I'mPerfecting Offline

People who value a so called open minded approach to life, or see themselves as open minded towards others, are typically only open minded to what they believe.

To True, They only care if you agree with them and there views. I can read people well enough to know better than to trust a catch phase like "open mindedness".
My ex was a surprise that didn't manifest until after I joined the COS,and we move to Texas, but there were all kinds of issues with him. The COS was just his excuse and he made me chose so I left him.

My best friend is a Satanist as well, and two years ago we told three of our closest friends. We told them because the theme of our Halloween party gave us away. They reacted by saying "It's good to see your finally coming out of the closet, but we've known for years."
Those I call friends are well versed in all sorts of pagan philosophies. They don't adhere to any of them, but they play the "I'm my own god" card while doing what ever makes them
happy.

Just a couple of funny stories I thought I'd share.

#421647 - 05/19/10 12:33 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Infinity Offline

Loc: Maine
I think that is great that your friends accepted you after they found out, but they knew all along and they didn't treat you any different. Those are the people who make true friends and they are so hard to find, so cherish them.

I have a friend who knows that I'm a Satanist and she is absolutely fine with it. I knew along that we had similar interests and telling her wasn't difficult. I really cherish her friendship. It's great that we can have people to talk too once in a while without worrying about whether or not they're going to make a big deal out of it. Hails to you!

#421648 - 05/19/10 12:34 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Azeri Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Hell
I keep to myself in real life, as much as possible. I have no need to tell anyone anything about myself. And joining like minded individuals here on the boards, where I can communicate with other satanists is best for me. Moreover, I learn alot on these boards and contribute what I know. Also, fun in life is important to me and getting what I want in life is important to me. So, when I want to read and interact with other satanists, I come here and to the UC. I have found out a long time ago,that I just can't put my confidence and trust in people around me.

www.vampiretemple.com

http://vampiretemple.com/vampirechallenge.html

#421653 - 05/19/10 02:04 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Azeri]
I'mPerfecting Offline

You sound like you've been hurt before. I know the feeling, just because I have people I trust doesn't mean it was easy to find them.

This board is a great resource, but be wary of it as you are all people, it is a public forum.

I love Dark Shadows by the way. smile

#421654 - 05/19/10 02:09 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Infinity]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Hehe grin Yea, Go me.

I could say I'm lucky, but it's more of a skill to be able to pick my friends wisely.

#421734 - 05/20/10 12:12 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Infinity Offline

Not many people know about me being a Satanist because I feel it is none of their business. Everyone tells me I have trust issues, but in this day and time, you have to. If I went around trusting people all the time without a reason why, then I would only be setting myself up for disaster, and I've had enough disasters to last two life times.

#421795 - 05/21/10 01:13 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Infinity]
I'mPerfecting Offline

You should get together with Azeri, he/she has trust issues to.

Hun, I don't want to burst your bubble, but I don't won't to, nor do I feel it's my job to council you over the internet for less then 50 bucks a post.

I'm not a Satanist because I'm mad at the world, misguided, and misunderstood. I can get my point across clearly to others, and I'm understood just fine. I'm a Satanist because I'm Elite, I can do things other people can't. We have nothing in common.

Don't jump on the "woe is me" train unless you want a hug from this porcupine.
I don't do weakness, sorry.
I'm not trying to be mean, just brash enough to say...

1st. Just because I put myself out there doesn't mean I care, or that I'm handing out sympathy. In fact,

2nd. If you read my thread, you'd realize, it didn't have anything to do with announcing I'm a Satanist, it deteriorated in to that and the next time I have a question I know will trigger a certain type response, I won't ask.

3rd. If you wasn't whining, I wouldn't care but I started this tread and even if the point is lost the rules remain the same for me.

Start your own tread if you want to whine, I won't bother you.
However, if you want to talk to me, you do so at your own risk, because you run the risk of me seeing through you and saying it out loud.

This being the internet, you just can't tell...
I'm like the little girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead,
and when I'm good; I'm very, very, good
and when bad I'm horrid.

Hail Satan!! crossbones

#421826 - 05/21/10 09:49 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Infinity Offline

I wouldn't want you to council me because it sounds like you need help of your own. Besides, if anyone is whining it is you.

Edited by Infinity (05/21/10 11:42 AM)

#421830 - 05/21/10 10:37 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Azeri Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Hell
First I don't have trust issues.I trust a few people period! Or another way to state my opinion about people is, I have "FEW'"GOOD" friends!I prefer it that way! I do what I feel is best for me, not anyone else! If you don't like my post go on to the next post, perhaps it will be to your liking! I am not here to please you or anyone else. And yes, I know this is a social public board,that is why I am here! So, don't get your panties in a bunch toots, because I don't have to come to you or anyone else on this board for approval of how I handle people in my life! As for Infinity she is my friend and she can also say what she pleases if it pleases her. Even if she were just another board member she can say what she wants! Someone's opinion is there opinion, no one has to answer to another to get there approval! And I certainly don't need yours! Go Perfect yourself before you stick your nose in what I am commenting on, on this board or anywhere else.

Edited by Azeri (05/21/10 11:09 PM)

www.vampiretemple.com

http://vampiretemple.com/vampirechallenge.html

#421837 - 05/21/10 01:07 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
Originally Posted By: I'mPerfecting
I'm like the little girl who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead,
and when I'm good; I'm very, very, good
and when bad I'm horrid.

No, you're more like the little (if not infantile) girl who throws a tantrum and makes long-winded attacks on others for no good reason, just to make yourself feel more "elite". Well, I for one am not impressed. Get over yourself and grow up.

#421854 - 05/21/10 06:52 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Zero Point Field
You are most welcome.

#421871 - 05/21/10 11:42 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: M.D. Roche]
I'mPerfecting Offline

You seem to have this habit of needing to defend those who can't defend themselves.
How is that not weekness on their part?
Why foster that?

Oh well, you go right ahead and do whatever it takes to face yourself in the mirror.
I already do.

Now I am well with in my right, I was more than restrained, I was almost polite when I layed that warning on the table to close the door I opened.

I noticed that you resorted to name calling, that shows me you have all the telltale signs of an ignorant debater, so I don't expect you to get the point.

Being that I revel in the controversy, I will spell it out for you.

I Judge People!! It doesn't take much for them to reveal there true nature to me. I made my true nature and intentions apparent as a curtsy for Magister Ventrue's public domain.
Don't come crying to me...I don't care. It sounds harsh but it gets the point across.

"Someday the sheep may wake up, to the reality of what it takes to be wolves, but I don't want to hear them bleat about it."
I'm not so inclined to go easy on anyone, if you would like to lock horns with me sir, you'll have to do better than calling me a brat, or a baby. I'm a Witch with a capital "B" get it right.

#421873 - 05/22/10 12:52 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Alaister Murdoch Offline

... interesting how this thread turned out. I'm not a moderator, nor even a Church member, but I feel I ought to state my opinion.
What you all do is fine, but I think I speak for most when I say that if you would like to engage in personal arguments do so in a personal message. It is obvious that this thread has strayed far from its original intent.
Saying that Satanists have "trust issues" is a gross misstatement. As part of being a Satanist, one must know the value of keeping and releasing pieces of information. I would hope it is common knowledge 'round these parts that keeping the fact that one is a Satanist is a matter of pragmatism. To imply that one has trust issues is to say that they have problems forming bonds of trust with anyone without taking into account the other party's personal character. From my knowledge, which in all honesty is rather low, I do not find that either Azeri or Infinity have "trust issues." But then again, I obviously do not have your gift for clairvoyance into people's natures, ImPerfecting.
I also don't think that M.D. Roche was defending anyone, just stating his personal opinion. I personally try to refrain from name calling, but he is reserved to his opinion and to state it as he did.
This message is not intended to defend anyone or to be as a personal insult. I just felt I needed to "set the record straight." Like you said - "It sounds harsh, but it gets the point across."
Anyhow, best wishes to all of you!
!HAIL SATAN! crossbones

#421877 - 05/22/10 01:49 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: M.D. Roche]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

People are going to start being banned if you can't act civilly towards each other.
Prevention of Virtue

#421878 - 05/22/10 03:00 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Alaister Murdoch]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Originally Posted By: Mooro
... I obviously do not have your gift for clairvoyance into people's natures, ImPerfecting.
!HAIL SATAN! crossbones

I apologize, but I'm only writing this to clarify it's not clairvoyance. It a highly complex system of analysis, I can cover effortlessly in minutes on any living thing that reads it's traits and motivations. I could tell you about it for days, but somed up it's Profiling and I've been refining it for yrs.

#421879 - 05/22/10 03:06 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: LKRice]
I'mPerfecting Offline

I know this isn't dircted at me, However...
Sorry about that, I know better than to be so provocating in the first place. I can tone down the text I use.

#421920 - 05/22/10 01:32 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Alaister Murdoch Offline

I was being sarcastic with the whole clairvoyance thing. No harm done.

#421926 - 05/22/10 04:10 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Alaister Murdoch]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
That's a lot of questions. I served in the Canadian military from 1984-88. Here are my experiences:

What is it like for females in the military or the police force?
It was a great! I loved it.

Are there still prejudice I should look out for?
Not that I encountered but some other females did.

How would you deal with them?
As a single female any tips for keeping the dogs at bay ?
Yes, don't be a target. If you come off as flirty, girly or dependent then you will be targetted as weak and at best, you won't be respected and at worse, you will be harassed.

I know sexual harassment works as a last line of defense, but how about some realistic advice to let them down a little gentler than that.
Don't be gentle, be direct. They are big boys, they can take it. A lot of alpha dogs join up so if you respond to their line with and smile and "you know that's really sweet of you..." then they will probably take it as a coy greenlight. A stern “No thanks" should suffice. If they persist then take a more "Look Gomer, hit the bricks!" Now if they touch, it's your call as to how you want to deal with it. Strictly speaking you would need to file charges of sexual harassment or assault. If you strike him, he can have you charged with assault. Which is exactly what happened to me.
I was 18, adorable and when the men first met me, they wanted to pat me on the head and send me back to the nursery. Then I opened my mouth.
I grew up with four big, bad brothers and two bitchy sisters. I may have been cute but I was not a wilting violet. My determination and use of colourful expletives proved that. I became one of the boys.
However, everywhere you go there is an asshole and one found me. French Canadian guy in hard sea trade, been in just long enough to imagine himself a demigod. You know the type, doesn't much care for “split tails” in HIS miltary. He took it upon himself to harass me a bit. Juvenile stuff mostly looks, comments, coming into the wrong bathroom, trying to corner me alone, that sort of thing. Again, I had four older brothers, I knew how to shoot a man down which of course, only exacerbated the situation. Well one day he grabbed my ass. I didn't think, I just reacted and dropped him. Long story short, he needed medical attention, which lead to questions, then charges. Luckily a male classmate witnessed the entire scene and came forward. It was still within the goombah's rights to have me charged but it was also within my rights to counter charge him. In the end he didn't proceed with the charges because he didn't want to be known as “the guy who got his ass kicked by an 18 year old girl half his size”? I also didn't charge him. Watching him walk funny for a few weeks was enough.

Are the women even still separate from the men in the military? With everything they're trying to change, I just don't know.
We were separated for Basic Training but once we were shipped off to other bases for our trades training, it was co-ed. I was one of four females in a class of 20 or so. The guys seemed surprised to see females in their course but when we made it plain that we did not expect special treatment, they accepted us.

Being strong enough for these jobs, do you find it hurts or adds to ones femininity?
I like to hear form both sides on this one.
Depends on your definition of femininity. It didn't make me girly feminine, it made me a strong woman. Think Ripley rather than Brittany.

Are you more likely to get treated like one of the guys?
While I was at work, I was one of the guys. But when the work day was done and I changed from the uniform into my civvies (civilian clothing), they were happy to offer me a drink and a dance at the Fleet Club. (the bar on the base)

For those of you who enlisted as Satanist. Did you have to tell your recruiter, or did you just write it on paper work you filled out?
I was Wiccan at the time so that's what I entered on my paperwork. They questioned me. I explained what a Wiccan was and was told that the Canadian government did not recognize Wicca as a religion. So my dog tags said “NR” (no religion).

There is a statement on the Army website in the surviving boot camp section that recommends going to church even if your an Atheist.
What do you think is it good advice?
Attendance was compulsory every Sunday and we were given the option of a Catholic or Protestant service. At first I really resented it. But then I realized that we just had to attend, we didn't have to pay attention. So I came to see it as an hour long mental vacation. Time away from PT, studying, shining my boots, polishing brass etc.

Would you do it, or did you?
I went most times. Once I faked sick another time I had some extra duties to perform.

Is it just a chapel like in a hospital or is it a service?
We had a chapel with an hour long service.

With all the conformity required already would you just do it to go with the flow, so your not making waves? I have no intention of drawing any more attention to my self than I already do.
Basic Training is not the time to make a stand. It's the time to 'conform to the norm' and distinguish yourself with exemplary performances, teamwork etc.

How hard is it to go to school from the military?
After I completed my four years, I went to college. No problems except that my military mindset didn't go over well with frat boys.

Again, these are only my experiences in the Canadian military from many years ago. Others may differ.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#421942 - 05/22/10 11:50 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Lilibeta]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Sweetie you're still adorable, by the way, I love your hair.

Lilibeta, Thank you, it really means a lot to me that you answered them all.
Being an ex-military woman, your first hand experience is invaluable to me.

5 months to go and I'll be enlisted, I can't wait.

I must say, now that I've been able to speak with other women on the subject, not just here, I feel less like I'm losing my demure, innocent, "girl power" and gaining a more refined stronger, more confident, "Woman Power" that is much more fitting to my nature.

I will save the gentle passive nature , for babies, old folks, and my cat.
Being direct is something, I'll admit needs work, but that's advice I plan to use to my advantage.

The religion and church thing I can take with a grain of salt.

That's was a great story, I'll keep it in mind if any one grabs my ass. I just might react with a "violent muscle spasm", I can be very prone to them myself.grin

It's hard to draw an understanding of something that must be done first hand.
The relevant experiences you've chosen to share, will help me take it all in, with more comparative focus.

I appreciate it very much and really enjoyed that insight,
Sincerely
~I'mperfecting

#422033 - 05/24/10 12:14 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
HGaunt Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
Here's my advice, keep in mind it is coming from a male.

I was in the Army for 6 years, in Special Operations and Intelligence. I also worked in Law Enforcement for a while. My wife has been the Air Force for almost 18 years in Communications. The reason I mention her at this time is that she is reading with me and wants to add some advice for herself.

First of all, joining any branch of the military is extremely rewarding but requires discipline, guts and a degree of mental strength and physical stamina not required in many other fields with the exception of possibly law enforcement. To decide to enlist is not easy and should not be taken lightly. If you decide to do so and complete the entry level training, congratulations. If you do not decide to do so, I would not think any less of you.

Secondly, to be a female in the military is not as difficult as it once was, at least in the Navy and Air Force. In the Army and Marines there are still several positions women cannot hold. However, to succeed in the military as a female requires that you simply do not take shit from the guys. As long as you can hold your own mentally and physically the men will respect you and treat you as one of the team. The military is not a place for shit bags and you will find that as long as you soldier on you will have no issues "making it". That is not saying you will not have problems, the military is made up of people from all walks of life. There are criminals, racists, sexists and all forms of general scum bags that make their way through the cracks and come out wearing the uniform. Just because they are soldiers does not mean that they are productive citizens.

Next, you do not need to worry about formal training to work in Law Enforcement. That is what the Police Academy is there for. Do not join the Service simply because you want to be a cop someday. In most states, entry level LE training is longer and more intense than Boot Camp. In some locales it even hurts your resume to have been an MP simply because now they don't have to train you, they have to re-train you.

Next, being an MP is not an easy job. You have the same trials and tribulations that civilian police go through but with a different breed of people. What I always advise people who are considering becoming an MP is to think about what they can do both mentally and physically. For instance, even a supply clerk is trained in basic combat techniques. Combat Arms are trained to a higher level. You are basically dealing with people that have been trained to kill and do so effectively, efficiently and swiftly. You have to ask yourself if you have what it takes to subdue a person like that?

Finally, for all the other questions. Your recruiter will be able to better assist you with answers on these. Quick answers are as follows:

-You do not have to claim a religious preference, if you do not it will not affect your funeral (if it comes to that) as long as your family is aware of what you are and will provide the religious part of the service.

-When in Basic, go to church on Sundays. Just pick a religion and use it as a learning experience. What you gain by going to church is time away from the Drill Sergeants. From experience, the Recruits who did not go to service were worked to death on Sundays while the rest of us were sitting in air conditioned rooms drinking juice, snacking and finding Jesus! devilchili

-The best advice is to go with the flow to a certain extent and do not draw any undue attention to yourself. Let you actions speak to who you are because your mouth will get you in trouble. Same for both military and Law Enforcement.

-It is easy to go to school while in the military. The Army even has a program where they will give you a laptop to do online schooling. I completed a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice while I was in and it was completely free. Now I am using my G.I. Bill to complete a Master's and am even getting a housing allowance. Basically, school is free and available while you are in and once you are out, they will pay you to go.

I hope this helps somewhat. If you want to ask any further questions about this feel free to send me a message. Good luck!

-Ragnar Redbeard(Might is Right)

#422066 - 05/24/10 11:01 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: HGaunt]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Lu_Safyr...this is an excellent post!
With a few small tweaks, it is essay worthy.
Screw it...it doesn't need tweaking.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#422068 - 05/24/10 12:16 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
HGaunt Offline

CoS Member

Why thank you sir. I do my best but tend to be pressed for time when I am posting.

#422105 - 05/24/10 09:30 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: HGaunt]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

>>It is easy to go to school while in the military. The Army even has a program where they will give you a laptop to do online schooling. I completed a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice while I was in and it was completely free. Now I am using my G.I. Bill to complete a Master's and am even getting a housing allowance. Basically, school is free and available while you are in and once you are out, they will pay you to go.

My experience is different. Combat arm units (Marine at least) don't have the free time to complete a degree. Perhaps online, but an in-class course would be very difficult for any combat MOS. The reason for this was monthly field work where a marine would be out for weeks 24/7 and even deployments. I knew many guys in my unit who had to drop out of college because they couldn't complete their assignments or attend mandatory tests.

Now post military, school is easy.

#422157 - 05/25/10 03:17 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: Discipline]
HGaunt Offline

CoS Member

Having worked in Spec. Ops. I certainly agree that combat military life is not conducive to in-the-classroom school, Discipline. My degree was completed online through the E-Army U program (hence the free laptop). Nowadays a degree from a reputable online college is just as good as one from a brick and mortar university.

Also, I believe the original poster is female and therefore, if she was to join the Army or Marines, would not be able to attain a position in any combat arms capacity.

I do thank you though for supporting my point on how Combat Arms and the rest of the military are completely different. Having served in CA I cannot seem to help my wife understand the significant differences. As mentioned before she is Air Force ad Combat Support at that.

#422491 - 05/28/10 09:00 PM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: HGaunt]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Thank you, that was incredibly detailed. I would also like to thank your wife for her input as well. I am grateful to you both.

I really appreciate the time you put in to writing that.
I know how time consuming the grammatical detailing of a longer post can be. I can write fast, but fine tuning takes work.

I am glad you posted, the clear no nonsense details are just what I needed from someone with experience in the field(s). There is only so much information to read on the subject, so I have been carefully posing questions to people in the military and police forces. As you know, some questions could only be asked here because of their nature. I really needed the human touch for a real world understanding of what I am getting in to.

Thank you very much,
Shandra

#422506 - 05/29/10 12:49 AM Re: Just need some Advice [Re: I'mPerfecting]
HGaunt Offline

CoS Member

You are very welcome. I am always happy to help a person make an informed decision when joining the military. That, of course, is assuming the individual in question does not deserve to be cannon fodder.

Best of luck in your future endevours.

Ever Forward!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12157 Members
73 Forums
43918 Topics
405735 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements