Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#421477 - 05/17/10 07:33 PM Re: The Aesthetic Paradigm [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Satanists might find the Enochian Keys to be beautiful, but I highly doubt everyone would.

I simply don't hear what makes "cellar door" beautiful.

I understand the concept completely. But to hear some Donnie Darko freak saying shit like that as though it is an objective fact annoys me. I know someone who hates the sound of the letter J. If we find enough people who hate the letter J, does that mean that it's a lesser letter than its counterparts?

I like alliteration; some people find it annoying. Also, what you find pleasing to hear can vary on your culture. Trying to apply objectivity to phonoaesthetics seems futile to me.

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#421479 - 05/17/10 07:41 PM Re: The Aesthetic Paradigm [Re: NapalmNick]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: NapalmNick
Satanists might find the Enochian Keys to be beautiful, but I highly doubt everyone would.

All I know is that my mother once fell asleep in front of the television, only to be awakened by the naked old people chanting around Rosemary. Rosemary's Baby was the weekend fright show. She claimed she felt the devil in the room, and refused to ever watch the movie again. That gave me a big case of the happies. Enochian Keys...or old naked people? I don't know. I'll leave it a mystery.

I know...I need to be more serious. Sorry. grin

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#421480 - 05/17/10 07:45 PM Re: The Aesthetic Paradigm [Re: XUL]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: XUL

I believe that something significant is being overlooked here: We tend to mix the concept of teopathy (the feeling, the personal "god experience") with the concept of theology (the "explanation" and contextualisation of teopathy) and then proceed to throw the baby out with the bath water. In my opinion, teopathy may as well be an aesthetical as a metaphysical concept. Either way it is subjective and experience-based.

If I were to criticise religions, it would be for their "hidden agenda" of trying to establish the principle and idea that there exists an unquestionable, cosmic authority somewhere, and that there is a special caste of people who are qualified (or trained) to speak on behalf of this authority. I do not necessarily have any problem with people having "faith" in and of itself. Whatever gets you through the night. (Although I am not a believer myself and I do find it somewhat infantile to rely on pixies and fairy dust, especially if you lay claim to being an intelligent creature.)

One of my biggest issues as well:the fact that they are selling certainty instead of doubt or question. They have no clue. None of us do.

Even our brightest scientists are our equals on that scale. Though they have great theories and ideas,they don't pretend to be certain(the better of them at least).

Religion however goes right in the opposite direction. They make up a certainty and "Guess what?! Also included is a set of rules by which you have to live by!"

As for the aesthetics that have been crafted by the hands of religious minded folks,I still believe some of the most beautiful sculptures grace the outsides of many a catholic cathedral. Absolutely gorgeous. Even down to the stained glass windows and towering ceilings that (by no coincidence of the artist(s') design) draw the eyes upward and take one's breath.

It could have been a brothel or a church. It doesn't matter. Beauty is beauty none the less.

#421482 - 05/17/10 07:58 PM Re: The Aesthetic Paradigm [Re: NapalmNick]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
I tend to challenge so-called objective perceptions on a frequent basis. Like so:

I prefer reading them in English. When I try to read them in Enochian I have no idea what I'm saying (until I flip the page and look at the translation) and I just focus all my attention on pronouncing the words correctly, which I most likely suck at. Even after hearing Dr. LaVey pronounce them correctly I'd hardly call it "beautiful".

And Donnie Darko is hands down one of the most pretentious films I have ever seen.

#421486 - 05/17/10 08:05 PM Re: The Aesthetic Paradigm [Re: NapalmNick]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I simply don't hear what makes "cellar door" beautiful.

I suspect Elisabeth Fritzl would agree with you.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#421491 - 05/17/10 08:22 PM Re: The Aesthetic Paradigm [Re: Shade]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

Not knowing who she was, I consulted the Almighty Google.

That is so deliciously fucked up. grin

Speaking of which, there is actually one combination of words that I do like a lot: Bob Saget. Easily the coolest name anyone has had, ever.

Coincidentally, it's his birthday today.

Edited by NapalmNick (05/17/10 08:49 PM)

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#421747 - 05/20/10 01:30 PM Re: The Aesthetic Paradigm [Re: NapalmNick]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Bob Saget is also my favorite substitute for actually cursing in public places. "BOB SAGET!"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406073 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements