Topic Options
#422279 - 05/26/10 03:35 PM Smoking Toddler
Alaister Murdoch Offline

Talk about irresponsible parenting...

Dad says smoking toddler is "addicted"

"If you desire peace of soul and happiness, believe! if you want to be a disciple of truth, search!" - Nietzsche

#422289 - 05/26/10 06:16 PM Re: Smoking Toddler [Re: Alaister Murdoch]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
"His father gave him his first smoke when he was just 18 months old."

That is the day his "father" should have been put in jail.

#422292 - 05/26/10 06:52 PM Re: Smoking Toddler [Re: Alaister Murdoch]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
I wouldn't be surprised if the mother smoked while she was pregnant too.

P.S. - I just noticed the Father's first name is Mohammad! laugh

Edited by M.D. Roche (05/26/10 06:54 PM)

#422326 - 05/27/10 02:29 AM Re: Smoking Toddler [Re: Alaister Murdoch]
Alaister Murdoch Offline

If only people had to obtain a liscence to breed and raise children... if only.
It is interesting that unlike Xtians, Muslims do not demonize tobacco. When I was in Dubai I waltzed right into a tobacco store and bought whatever I wanted - this was of course many years ago when I was grossly underage. I guess they just figure you're free to smoke since its because of your own stupidity if you suffer from overuse.
But this is goddamned criminal!

"If you desire peace of soul and happiness, believe! if you want to be a disciple of truth, search!" - Nietzsche

#422327 - 05/27/10 02:30 AM Re: Smoking Toddler [Re: M.D. Roche]
Tiberius_James Offline

Loc: Australia
Greets.

On a similar note, i once argued ethics with a conservative christian as a part of my bioethics class at college. Without boring you to death, the basic case study involved a fifteen-year-old girl who refused a critical heart transplant as she did not want other people's organs inside her body (i don't even want other people in my *vicinity* so i can certainly empathize).

The position adopted by the christian right-to-lifers was simply that the girl be restrained, sedated and forced into the operation (the age of consent here, by the way, is sixteen-years-of-age).

Conversely, my only argument was another hypothetical; that a family of religious conservatives is admitted to the ER with a child in need of a blood transfusion - let's say, also of fifteen years - who is adamant that she does, in fact, WANT TO LIIIIIVE!... and so consents to the use of blood products. Should the parents refuse on religious grounds, it is illegal for treatment to be undertaken. My uncle, who is a general practitioner, made the judgement call that he would, in fact, have treated the patient as requested, then prepared for himself a good lawyer.

Needless to say, the christians weren't too impressed with my logic and asserted their own sense of dominance by debating ever-more trivial semantics, rather than simply admitting that i had a reasonable point.

Anyway, i was reminded of this occasion (and urged to share) by the fundamental problem which exists in all of parenting; personal responsibility and a healthy dose of common sense. It needn't be said that those who cannot raise children responsibly should NOT be allowed to breed in the first place. Moreover, in my humble opinion, children should be regarded as the responsibility of the State in so far as the parents are only the designated caregivers, and acknoelwedged as being not necessarily the most qualified for the giving of care.

If these people want to look after children, they should first learn to look after themselves.

Polemically yours, James.

#422341 - 05/27/10 08:31 AM Re: Smoking Toddler [Re: Alaister Murdoch]
Lust Offline

´┐ŻLove is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.´┐Ż
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#422343 - 05/27/10 08:40 AM Re: Smoking Toddler [Re: Alaister Murdoch]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I will keep my thoughts on this to myself. I will say that the power of political correctness is stronger than many think.
'Nuff said.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#422355 - 05/27/10 10:17 AM Re: Smoking Toddler [Re: Alaister Murdoch]
HGaunt Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
Originally Posted By: Mooro
It is interesting that unlike Xtians, Muslims do not demonize tobacco.

I agree that this is very interesting. During my time in Iraq and Afghanistan I came to see that tobacco is actually an intregal part of the Muslim culture. Especially the Hookah pipe. I remember conducting source meets and HAVING to partake in the Hookah or risk turning a source off. When it comes to cigarettes it is almost like America was in the 1930s and 40s.

However, we now live in times where the risks and general unhealthiness of cigarette and other forms or tobacco smoke are known on a grand scale. While I do indulge in the occasional cigar and smoke about 1 to 2 cigarettes a day I do know what risks I am taking and take them with that knowledge in hand. A child of that age is not capable of comprehending the risk they are taking by smoking. Why has this parent not been drawn and quartered yet? This whole story sounds absolutely ridiculous, take his kid away and sentence the prick to death, preferrably of lung cancer or something similar so he can experience the same torment that he has likely put his kid through!

Edited by Lu_Safyr (05/27/10 10:28 AM)

-Ragnar Redbeard(Might is Right)

#422368 - 05/27/10 11:20 AM Re: Smoking Toddler [Re: Alaister Murdoch]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Mooro
It is interesting that unlike Xtians, Muslims do not demonize tobacco.

I would think this has more to do with the individual countries, not the religions. Here in the US there's been some fierce anti-smoking campaigns for at least two generations, but that hasn't been the case in all Christian-dominated countries.

Originally Posted By: M.D. Roche
I just noticed the Father's first name is Mohammad!

Considering it's the most common name on Earth, and has been so for decades, I don't think it's all that surprising.

Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct
How many people in the US bought this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:VanHalen_1984_fcover.jpg

Damn, you beat me to it! That was the first image that came to my mind.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ▄bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

Forum Stats
12116 Members
73 Forums
43874 Topics
405554 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements