Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#425590 - 07/02/10 03:27 PM Re: Serial Killers [Re: LightAngel]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Loc: Florida
A wonderful field of study, that needs as many open-minds as it can get. I am a student of Behavioral Analysis, and Forensic Psychology. Their are some excellent books listed here for this very interesting topic.(Thank You)

One of my favorite shows is Most Evil. Dr. Michael Stone's Evil Scale classifies murders on a scale of 1-22, to try an determine the psychology of killers.

Serial killers are fascinating but rare. They just received the most news time, because of the human races morbid curiosity to understand "How could they do such a thing?". In the wise words of Maynard ,with this most poignant video by Joe Martin "We all need watch things die... Why can't we just admit it?"

To profile you need to be able to get in their heads. Both Roho, and John pointed out, most would not feel guilty about the loss of life. They feel sorry for themselves for getting caught, and having to face consequence, not for the crime itself. People only act shocked because of the status-quo.
People have a natural hatred of anything they don't know or understand. They only like a person or thing once they get to know it. Killers (serial or otherwise) act on this hatred more easily than your average Joe and still appear normal.
Why? Because a cat is still a normal cat even if it's ferrall. It doesn't have mental problems just because it doesn't like you. These killer are just feral people, untamed, wild "monsters", with no restraint, because until they are caught their are no boundaries. If might is right, and they are stronger, they can just as easily be seen as hunters. A wild person would have no regard for anything the rest of society thought or wanted. This disregard seems odd to people because most are tame and compliant, with the understanding laws make for a civilized society. Not everyone can be taught this successfully. I pointed out in another post more people are criminals than are not.

As Satanist we take for granted the conundrum we present to the world. We represent their understood image of "Evil", this challenge their taboos. By presenting it with image of virtue, decency, respect and common sense, we are like a wrench in the works.
We complicate the common understanding people have to blame the devil.

They hate the sin and not the sinner because the devil made them do it, and they can't fight those demons themselves. Society has grown dependent on this reasoning, and it hinders the ability to understand what makes them tick. Most reports will constantly compare these killer to demons. Which also comes with the notion of reform, something a "serial" criminal is not capable of, they are stuck in their ways, with no hope of reform.

We could also ask why don't we commit these type of crimes? Why don't we kill under pressure? What kind of trauma does it take to break a person? Many people threaten to kill often enough.
However, it is believed that animal abuse, bed wetting past a reasonable age, and mental or physical abuse, all three combined are good signs a child will grow up to be serial killer. This is not true for all of them, but most will have this kind of history.
I ask what makes a person "serial" in the first place? Why are killers the only focus? What about serial rapist, serial arsonist, or serial car thieves? Why the pattern in their choice victim? Is it possibly the crime would never be committed if the trigger is never presented?

#425592 - 07/02/10 03:53 PM Re: Serial Killers [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: I'mPerfecting
I ask what makes a person "serial" in the first place? Why are killers the only focus? What about serial rapist, serial arsonist, or serial car thieves? Why the pattern in their choice victim? Is it possibly the crime would never be committed if the trigger is never presented?

I'm not sure if all of those questions were meant to be rhetorical, and I'm no expert on this topic, but...

I suspect that the "serial" mentality often comes from having gone through some traumatic past event that went unresolved, and wanting closure so badly that the person will try to reconstruct the event, in hopes of playing it out favorably. It's like trying to resolve a problem by proxy. For example, an unstable guy gets torn to ruins by a girlfriend who has some certain hairstyle and certain wardrobe, so he "sees" that woman every time he looks at any woman with the same physical description, and punishes his ex-lover via them.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#425594 - 07/02/10 04:25 PM Re: Serial Killers [Re: I'mPerfecting]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:

I'm not really sure what you mean by your questions. Do you mean the focus for pop culture? Or the focus for police? You do realize there ARE serial rapists, pyromaniacs, etc., and the cops are after them too, right?

#425628 - 07/02/10 10:59 PM Re: Serial Killers [Re: Bill_M]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
I'm not sure if all of those questions were meant to be rhetorical...

Yes, they were written rhetorically, because I wrote them as something to think about. I realize it was unclear because...

Why are killers the only focus? Should have been written...
Why are killers the only focus of the media? blush

News broadcasts and reports only highlight serial killers, without ever looking at other crimes with the same seemingly incurable repetitious disorder. I was bring it up to point out there are more than just killers who can fall into the same "serial" criminal category, that in itself is the disorder.

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
I suspect that the "serial" mentality often comes from having gone through some traumatic past event that went unresolved, and wanting closure so badly that the person will try to reconstruct the event, in hopes of playing it out favorably. It's like trying to resolve a problem by proxy.

That's accurate, especially where
>>>It's like trying to resolve a problem by proxy.
I like that description. smile

They keep trying until they get the correct desired outcome, to sate the urge. Which needless to say never works and always end badly.
I find it's like fundamentalism, unable to change their minds about their beliefs, or alter the actions of their practices. They are not unreasonable unless you cross the line of their fixation, or something happens to trigger it.

#425630 - 07/02/10 11:31 PM Re: Serial Killers [Re: Old_Pig]
J. Hagalaz Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Old_Pig
That must be Richard "Iceman" Kuklinski. His interview is one of the creepiest and at the same time the most enlightening documentaries I have seen. The scariest thing about him is how completely calm and even proud he looks while talking about his murders. In one case he talks of how he killed a random stranger just to test if the crossbow he had bought was powerful enough to drive an arrow through a human skull.

I think what makes someone like Richard Kuklinski so fascinating to people is that, because he had Antisocial Personality Disorder, he was capable of doing things that many people secretly wish they could do. In fact, when I took a course on Abnormal Psychology a few years ago, the instructor did a presentation (which included the interview posted by LightAngel) about Kuklinski and it was interesting to notice how most of the students really seemed to like the guy!

I think this overwhelmingly positive response comes from the fact that many of the people Kuklinski "iced" seemed to be deserving, for one reason or another. After all, he was a mafia hit-man, so many of his victims were criminals, and the documentaries about him seem to pay special attention to that aspect of him. However, the reality is that he killed a lot of people who were hardly deserving, and he usually did so using rather creative and horrible methods. On top of that, he exhibited many of the trade-mark "symptoms" of someone with APD, including excessive cruelty to animals and the physical abuse of the woman in his life, including his last wife who was so terrified of him she wouldn't leave him and pretended not to notice anything. Hardly a hero, in my mind, and not really that interesting of a person once you see past the scary music of the documentaries.

#425636 - 07/03/10 12:50 AM Re: Serial Killers [Re: reprobate]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Originally Posted By: reprobate
I'm not really sure what you mean by your questions. Do you mean the focus for pop culture? Or the focus for police?

Sorry about that, I meant the focus of the media, I forgot to add that part. Oops blush I didn't mean to cause confusion.

Originally Posted By: reprobate
You do realize there ARE serial rapists, pyromaniacs, etc., and the cops are after them too, right?

[sarcasm]Nope, I had no idea, thank you for telling me. That's quite the relief. I thought all this time, those criminals where getting a free pass to run amuck.[/sarcasm]laugh

Yes, I realize there are serial rapists and Pyromaniacs, that's why I mentioned them. I also know the cops are after them.
I mentioned it because the other crimes are not considered "serial" in the same way it's used for killers, even though they share a common thread. It is the repetitious compulsory mental disorder to go after the same type of person, place or thing, and there is always an unchanged patterned to their practices. It's a very obsessively compulsive act, no matter what the crime is.

#426003 - 07/07/10 11:53 PM Re: Serial Killers [Re: J. Hagalaz]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: JEHJr

I think what makes someone like Richard Kuklinski so fascinating to people is that, because he had Antisocial Personality Disorder, he was capable of doing things that many people secretly wish they could do. In fact, when I took a course on Abnormal Psychology a few years ago, the instructor did a presentation (which included the interview posted by LightAngel) about Kuklinski and it was interesting to notice how most of the students really seemed to like the guy!

I think this overwhelmingly positive response comes from the fact that many of the people Kuklinski "iced" seemed to be deserving, for one reason or another. After all, he was a mafia hit-man, so many of his victims were criminals, and the documentaries about him seem to pay special attention to that aspect of him. However, the reality is that he killed a lot of people who were hardly deserving, and he usually did so using rather creative and horrible methods. On top of that, he exhibited many of the trade-mark "symptoms" of someone with APD, including excessive cruelty to animals and the physical abuse of the woman in his life, including his last wife who was so terrified of him she wouldn't leave him and pretended not to notice anything. Hardly a hero, in my mind, and not really that interesting of a person once you see past the scary music of the documentaries.

I agree.

#426025 - 07/08/10 05:24 AM Re: Serial Killers [Re: I'mPerfecting]
LightAngel Offline

To profile you need to be able to get in their heads.

I understand your point, but I also know now that it's not really a place I need, or want to be, unless I have to because of professional reasons.

#426139 - 07/09/10 06:40 PM Re: Serial Killers [Re: LightAngel]
I'mPerfecting Offline

It is a place even Angels fear to tread.

I have professional reasons for doing it.
It takes a lot of self control to separate from the situation. It's not easy and certainly not for everyone. I'm finding my emotions make it difficult to keep rational objectivity at the forefront of my analysis.

Jim Jones is one of sickest and most difficult mass murders I have studied. I know he's not a serial killer but a murderer is a murderer and I am studying them all. The worst are killers who are children. It takes some severely terrible people to drive their kids to kill so young, and always makes me wonder about the parents more than the kids.

I recall a line from the movie "Session 9",
"And where do you live Simon?"
"I live in the weak and the wounded."

#426222 - 07/11/10 12:48 AM Re: Serial Killers [Re: M.D. Roche]
Pablovilla Offline

Loc: Victorville, California
Something to keep in mind there was a warning a while back about not to answer the satanic census, and this topic goes right along with it, and that is there are a few highly known serial killers that call themselves Satanists, that are clearly devil worshipers.

The site that did have that census also groups many popular people that are in the open such as the current and former people that we all know about such as Peter Gilmore, Blanche Barton, Anton LaVey, and other including the children to Anton with the likes of serial killers, and chances are if you were to have answered that census you would also be listed with the likes of serial killers.

All I can say is that when I seen the site it made me feel sick seeing it, after all what kind of sick mind would ever group serial killing devil worshipers with upstanding people of the community.

Even though what I'm saying is obvious, it is obvious to me from my reading and contact with others here and elsewhere and even people in the past that I have chatted with on BBS systems, in person, and others including the writer of some of the to read books listed on the CoS website.

Besides who else besides a RHP person that has hate towards others could ever think that a Satanist could be a Serial killer, We do not worship Satan, only reverse Christians do that, and they are not really Satanists, but they are serial killers.

#426224 - 07/11/10 01:03 AM Re: Serial Killers [Re: I'mPerfecting]
Pablovilla Offline

Loc: Victorville, California
It is a place even Angels fear to tread.

The worst are killers who are children. It takes some severely terrible people to drive their kids to kill so young, and always makes me wonder about the parents more than the kids.

I recall a line from the movie "Session 9",
"And where do you live Simon?"
"I live in the weak and the wounded."

Sick minds indeed, All one needs to do it look at what happens in war zones to know this. Besides according to studies it is easier to get kids to kill than other people because they do not know their mortality, and in addition they are the innocent. They are still forming what is right and wrong, and do not fully have an appreciation for life and that of others.

I feel that it is the lack of appreciation of the life not just of oneself, but that of others that makes us human, and when someone does not have that, or it is taken away they loose a part of their humanity.

It is that lack of humanity that enables them to become serial killers. After all on a lighter scale one way to keep an animal from being slaughtered is to name it and be its friend. What sane person would ever what to harm a friend of theirs? or even someone that they know closely just because they can.

I can see that this topic in a way does show us our humanity do to the lack of it in a few people.

#426380 - 07/13/10 07:10 AM Re: Serial Killers [Re: I'mPerfecting]
LightAngel Offline

The worst are killers who are children. It takes some severely terrible people to drive their kids to kill so young, and always makes me wonder about the parents more than the kids.

If you study a child killer like Mary Bell, then I really believe it's a result of a sick family! - To call her bad seed is just ignorant, because childrens brain isn't fully developed.

#426504 - 07/14/10 12:58 PM Re: Serial Killers [Re: Pablovilla]
LightAngel Offline

Originally Posted By: paul_r

What sane person would ever what to harm a friend of theirs? or even someone that they know closely just because they can.

I can see that this topic in a way does show us our humanity do to the lack of it in a few people.

Exactly....

Edited by LightAngel (07/14/10 01:02 PM)

#426523 - 07/14/10 03:50 PM Re: Serial Killers [Re: LightAngel]
HGaunt Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
I believe, and please correct me if I am wrong, that Anton LaVey had stated something quite beautiful in response to questions about the Zodiac Killer. If I am not mistaken he said something along the lines of "...maybe he just likes to hunt people."

I think that is a simple, yet brilliant, way of summing up of most serial killers. Granted you will always have your crazy ones like Dahmer, Ramirez, etc. but the ones like The Iceman... well, maybe they just like to hunt people. I know I can sympathize, one reason why I joined the military.

Speaking of Antisocial Personality Disorder, I would venture that most Satanists would fail a psychological exam or score as having some type of personality "disorder". All Satanists I have met up to this point have been highly misanthropic, to the extent of occasionally refusing to leave the house where they have created a total environment and will go months without being around a single soul other than those they choose to let in. I think this is a perfectly "normal" way of thinking, it is my way. However, I certainly see a psychiatrist saying that we are sick in the head.

There is a fine line between genius and insanity. People sometimes cross that line. In the end the serial killer preforms more of a service to the world than do the psychologists that study them. At least they are thinning the herd.

Edited by Lu_Safyr (07/15/10 01:25 PM)

-Ragnar Redbeard(Might is Right)

#426537 - 07/14/10 11:44 PM Re: Serial Killers [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Bliss Offline

Loc: Colorado
I think it's as simple as this: Some people like rock climbing, others enjoy skiing, and some people enjoy snuffing out the existence of other people.

I'm sure like beer, it's an acquired taste in that people don't inherently want to kill other people.

Admittedly, something abnormal in their lives has made the prospect of killing attractive. However, there is no singular 'something' that does it, as the diversity of serial killers proves, but typically something really bad happens to them during their development that makes it appealing.

My point is, understanding what makes serial killers 'tick' is on a case-by-case basis.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Kind of like enjoying seeing pictures of... or people having sex. Society outwordly frowns on these things.

What!? That's actually considered taboo??

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Forum Stats
11893 Members
73 Forums
43642 Topics
404167 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements