Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#436189 - 10/25/10 10:56 AM Re: Are you..... for, or against the death penalty?! [Re: XUL]
Riddles Offline

Loc: Maryland
Originally Posted By: XUL
Originally Posted By: Original Sly
I also think rape is a greater crime than murder.

Call me a simpleton... but personally I'd rather be raped than murdered. And who knows? Maybe if my rapist was handsome and all that I'd even fall in love with him. *wink wink* Either way, I'd be alive to get raped another day - whereas if you're murdered, that's sort of it for you.

In terms of consequences, sure, murder has the potential to be worse than rape.

However, I've definitely felt sympathy for murderers before. I can't say I've felt sympathy for any rapists.

"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul."
--Friedrich Nietzsche

#436205 - 10/25/10 01:23 PM Re: Are you..... for, or against the death penalty?! [Re: LightAngel]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Not only am I in favor of the death penalty, but I suggest that such convicted felons should be executed in a manner that is productive for the rest of society. Instead of subjugating laboratory animals to scientific and medical testing/research, convicted murderers should be utilized as guinea pigs. Further, after their death, their organs should be harvested and preserved for future transplants.

To be sure, the life of any animal is more valuable than the life of any condemned inmate.

I assert that serial rapists and repeat child molesters would also qualify for the above punishment.

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#436207 - 10/25/10 02:18 PM Re: Are you..... for, or against the death penalty?! [Re: Dax9]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
Quote:
I assert that serial rapists and repeat child molesters would also qualify for the above punishment

There should be worse punishment for rapists than that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/04/AR2006070400960.html

Edited by anna (10/25/10 02:19 PM)

#436208 - 10/25/10 02:33 PM Re: Are you..... for, or against the death penalty?! [Re: anna]
Riddles Offline

Loc: Maryland
Originally Posted By: anna
Quote:
I assert that serial rapists and repeat child molesters would also qualify for the above punishment

There should be worse punishment for rapists than that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/04/AR2006070400960.html

http://www.medievality.com/saw.html

Doesn't get much worse than that.

"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul."
--Friedrich Nietzsche

#436214 - 10/25/10 03:40 PM Re: Serial Killers [Re: TheDegenerate]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
Originally Posted By: TheDegenerate
That's right, slavery! Put those motherfuckers to WORK, MAKE them useful!

I'm a very strong supporter of Lex Servilitas, as well as mandatory castration for sex offenders. When it comes to death I think it should be a choice, to some degree: For most sentences I'd give them the option. Most of the punishments we're discussing here are about ending lives- Be it a life in prison, a death sentence, these are situations where a human being is a waste and worse. In that case I advocate them being either thrown out or put to better use as a slave or test subject. But if we're full on slaves and test subjects, let them die fast and cheap. The option also deals with the appeals process- If they're guilty they can just die, if not they can live on to prove their innocence someday, all Shawshanky 'n shit. It's not easy or kind or the least bit 'humane' but I prefer it to innocents dead and criminals free. It also allows victims a greater and more practical vengeance- You killed someone I love or assaulted me? You're my slave forever. That's justice to me.

And just imagine all we could do with that new species of exploitable sub-humans! Whenever we need more we can just trump up charges and arrest our political enemies, it's really a perfect system.

#436217 - 10/25/10 04:23 PM Re: Serial Killers [Re: LightAngel]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

As I said, I do support the death penalty, but I also agree on putting these scummy people to use. As I stated in my book, I feel we should bring back gladitorial combat, let them kill one another and make it into a reality show. The masses love reality shows, and death, so why not give 'em both while also taking out the garbage?

#436256 - 10/26/10 05:13 AM Re: Serial Killers [Re: LightAngel]
Lara Offline

If you are looking for a complement to the videos you have been watching and what you have read, I'd like to suggest you take a look at Crime Library.

In my youth I was curious of the serial killer mind and found this page to contain the most informative and well-written reports/stories on the subject. Now a lot has happened on the internet since then, but it all still seems to be there:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/complete_list.html

#436592 - 10/30/10 03:51 AM Re: Serial Killers [Re: TheDegenerate]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: TheDegenerate
I always find it interesting when the topic of the death penalty comes up around here. Not so much because it's a fascinating debate, but because it is interesting to see just how full of bullshit some people are.

The instant, pre-packaged reaction (predictable too, I might add) is when people say, "give me the gun, and let me pull the trigger!" I know I myself have said this in the past as well, in exaggeration, usually when it pertains to some scumbag (usually someone killing animals) who I think would be better off dead at that point in time.

But realistically, for most of those people, if someone actually did put a gun in their hand and said "do it!" I am sure you could sit their and watch 90 percent of them pussy out. Why? Not because they are "weak" or some other nonsense, but because they aren't fucking psychopaths. People like to talk tough when it comes to Satanic justice, but I doubt most would have the wontons to follow through with any of it; and I think that is probably a good thing! Nothing scares me more than a lynch mob, and be it through vigilantism, or through government mandate, I really DON'T think we should be putting people to death for no reason.

And man, where some people would draw the line! Don't just kill murderers, kill rapists and drug dealers too! And while you are at it, kill drug users! Give me a fucking break, seriously. Don't get me wrong, NO LOVE for these people at all; but blowing some guy away because he dropped acid or smoked dope? It sounds ideal in maintaining a safe society, for sure. But in practice, no thank you.

I think the criminal justice system is flawed, definitely. But much of the time I am personally satisfied with the punishments that are handed out. There are of course plenty of unfair situations; for one thing, I DO think rape should be treated a lot CLOSER to murder than it is. However, rape is NOT murder, and the victims survive. I think rape should not be handled with death, but with castration and possibly slavery. That's right, slavery! Put those motherfuckers to WORK, MAKE them useful!

Anyways, I am just doing the same thing now with my own idealism. But I'm sure you get the gist of it. I'd rather see someone serve out his life behind bars than be so lucky as to get a bullet in the brain instead.

Plus, if someone DID put a gun in my hand and say "shoot this murderer", I am humble enough to admit that I WOULD pussy out, and would hand it back to them. If that makes me a pussy, I'm totally fine with that, and anyone who would think less of me for it can go fuck themselves. I have no desire to take life, even if it is from some scumbag.

wink

I am what I am

#436598 - 10/30/10 05:23 AM Re: Serial Killers [Re: Delta]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Delta
...put to better use as a slave or test subject.

I see and endorse the obvious benefits of using convicted murderers as scientific guinea pigs, with an anything-goes attitude toward what can be done to them, the only rule being, it has to be a legitimate scientific experiment to test a hypothesis of genuine scientific interest. But I think The Degenerate's essential point would hold true here as well, unfortunately. Most scientists probably lack the stomach to personally do something potentially lethal or even crippling to another human being, regardless what the human being had previously done, and regardless of government sanction. Too bad, really. If we could get past our squeamishness, scientific progress might accelerate.

#436602 - 10/30/10 05:42 AM Re: Are you..... for, or against the death penalty?! [Re: Riddles]
Genevieve Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: Riddles
Originally Posted By: XUL
Originally Posted By: Original Sly
I also think rape is a greater crime than murder.

Call me a simpleton... but personally I'd rather be raped than murdered. And who knows? Maybe if my rapist was handsome and all that I'd even fall in love with him. *wink wink* Either way, I'd be alive to get raped another day - whereas if you're murdered, that's sort of it for you.

In terms of consequences, sure, murder has the potential to be worse than rape.

However, I've definitely felt sympathy for murderers before. I can't say I've felt sympathy for any rapists.

In some cases rape does trump murder. Although you have to look at the circumstances of the murder to. Ideally in some cases I would rather see a rapist put to death over a murder. Especially if they are a habitual rapist.

#436605 - 10/30/10 06:10 AM Re: Serial Killers [Re: Machismo]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I'm not sure scientists would have such a hard time with it. They seem to share at least a few characteristics with sociopaths. If it doesn't mimic it exactly, that unemotional clinical detachment still looks an awful lot like a killer's knack for dehumanizing their victims.

But I agree with you. smile
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#436613 - 10/30/10 08:55 AM Re: Serial Killers [Re: LightAngel]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
The question here seems to deal with what makes a serial killer.

I have a close friend who reads everything she can get her hands on, about these people. While discussing them yesterday, the question came up: Why do people always remember these bastards names and , at least, portions of their "life stories," but no-one ever seems to remember anything about their victims? Most often, not even the names of very many of their victims.
Also, the question: Why do the majority of the most infamous of the serial killers only seem to kill prostitutes and young boys?

The second question: not all of them kill prostitutes or young boys. There was Berkowitz, Bundy, Dahmer, the Menendez Brothers, and others. But, then there's Gacy, Ridgway, Randall Woodfield, and many others. But there IS a large percentage who seem to prey on prostitutes and young boys.
Why?

#436615 - 10/30/10 09:02 AM Re: Are you..... for, or against the death penalty?! [Re: Genevieve]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
There are certain crimes that I feel should carry the death penalty. And with DNA being used (where it applies) in the convictions, I feel they should be carried out immediately. Among these: murder, rape, child molestation, & selling drugs to minors.

The first three, I feel the death penalty should be mandatory. No plea bargains. Fair trial, then upon conviction, the needle.

#436653 - 10/30/10 06:09 PM Re: Serial Killers [Re: DCLXVI]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
I think it's possible your first question is answered by your second. Some victims (prostitutes, homeless, etc) may be chosen because of how forgettable or invisible they are; the vagabonds, the hustlers, the outcasts, the untouchables, the trash that society already tries to ignore. No one remembers their names when they die because no one wanted to know their names when they were alive.

Taking from this pool keeps the serial killer under the radar. You start killing pretty white college girls and suddenly everybody wants your head on a stick.

Or (re: Question 1). If you remember the victims' names, learn about their lives, actually see them as people, you might empathize with them. And that hurts.

I stowed this essay (? not sure what to call it) from Psych Today a couple of days ago you might be interested in: How Psychopaths Choose Their Victims
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#436662 - 10/30/10 09:43 PM Re: Serial Killers [Re: Shade]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Shade

Hmm. An interesting application for humanoid robots once they sufficiently advance. Build a short, pretty, faux-female humanoid robot. Program it to move like a victim. Dress it in an eye-catching dress and send it walking down city streets and dark alleyways. Give it super-human strength, speed, fighting skill, and imperviousness to injury. Program it to identify and subdue an aggressor.

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >

Forum Stats
12173 Members
73 Forums
43940 Topics
405811 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements