Topic Options
#426649 - 07/16/10 07:53 AM An Introduction
Neinth Offline

Hello,names Neinth,pronounced "knee-in-th",I'm a blonde blue eyed......wait wrong forum.No really I have been reading up on the Satanic Bible.Few questions for you.

Doesnt seem to me that it actually involves the worship of anyone but ones self,in a manner of speaking,we create our own gods.But after many internet searches I have become completly confused on the subject.

http://www.churchofsatan.com/home.html This would be "The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth".With the exception of number seven,and the destruction of other people,this is how I have been living my life since I realized the truth I read in the christian's bible.

Without starting a religious debate of any kind,I am hoping to have some questions answered sensibily by possibly like minded people.

So here goes,first and formost,is the religion foundation set down by Anton Szandor LaVey in the book "Satanic Bible" actuall "satan" worshipping like what one hear about growing up in a christian background?

I am of the understanding that the Church of Satan was created by Anton LaVey,is this the same "church",or some knock off?I ask only because I am interested in his writings and teachings,not,well if I finish that sentence it would come off as insulting so I won't.

Reading through the Church of Satan site I came across what is essentially a mission statement of sorts http://www.churchofsatan.com/Pages/PentRev.html and I am wondering if these goals are still in place,or is there a more updated version running about?

My last question is about the Satanic Bible itself,if I where to purchase one new,would it be what Anton LaVey actually wrote,or a modifed version thats been changed over time,alot like other "religous" texts?

Now after asking these I realize that any responses I may or may not get are not neccassaraly<--butchered that word well didnt I,the veiws of the Church of Satan.

If anyone is inclined to answer any of these questions,but deciced to only answer one,I would ask you answer the last.Thanks for your time and replies.

#426650 - 07/16/10 08:12 AM Re: An Introduction [Re: Neinth]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: Neinth
http://www.churchofsatan.com/home.html This would be "The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth".With the exception of number seven,and the destruction of other people,this is how I have been living my life since I realized the truth I read in the christian's bible.

So here goes,first and formost,is the religion foundation set down by Anton Szandor LaVey in the book "Satanic Bible" actuall "satan" worshipping like what one hear about growing up in a christian background?

I am of the understanding that the Church of Satan was created by Anton LaVey,is this the same "church",or some knock off?

My last question is about the Satanic Bible itself,if I where to purchase one new,would it be what Anton LaVey actually wrote...

Greetings and welcome Neinth.
Though I am not of the Priesthood, I will give you my considered opinion to the questions you asked. (I recognized myself a Satanist at the age of 17, when I read the first edition of TSB, in 1969.)

Your first question: No, this is NOT a "knock-off" of Doktor LaVey's Church. This is "The Real Deal." Our current High Priest and High Priestess (Magus Peter H. Gilmore and Magistra Peggy Nadramia) became so after Herr Doktor's passinng in 1997.

And, yes, when you buy a "current" copy of TSB, it will differ from my first edition ONLY in that it has a Foreward written by Magus Gilmore.

Oh, sorry. One almost slipped through the cracks there. No, we (Satanists) do NOT worship ANY external entity, whether it be a make believe devil or a make believe god.
Again, Welcome to the board and to the Infernal Empire!

Edited by LKRice (07/16/10 05:03 PM)
Edit Reason: Note: DCLVI replied to the post before it was moved.

#426651 - 07/16/10 09:51 AM Re: An Introduction [Re: Neinth]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

If you are interested in his writings then I suggest you purchase his books.

Pentagonal Revisionism is alive and well, and so are other goals.

Also, this belongs in the "Questions About the Church of Satan" forum, where you can receive official responses.

Here it is possible you may receive views of people who are not members, or even Satanists; caveat emptor.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#426675 - 07/16/10 10:19 PM Re: An Introduction [Re: DCLXVI]
Neinth Offline

Quote:
And, yes, when you buy a "current" copy of TSB, it will differ from my first edition ONLY in that it has a Foreward written by Magus Gilmore.

That is interesting,however I do wonder why he would change the forward.

Quote:
Oh, sorry. One almost slipped through the cracks there. No, we (Satanists) do NOT worship ANY external entity, whether it be a make believe devil or a make believe god.

This leads me to ask,why exactly is it called Satanism? Seems the "negative" veiws in general would make this a terrible choice.

Quote:
Your first question: No, this is NOT a "knock-off" of Doktor LaVey's Church. This is "The Real Deal." Our current High Priest and High Priestess (Magus Peter H. Gilmore and Magistra Peggy Nadramia) became so after Herr Doktor's passinng in 1997.

And it is good to know this.As I said,I am more interested in Anton LaVey's writings at this moment,as at one time I thought my belief system as it where was unique,it is refreshing to see that it is not.To learn more about someone that has thought the way I do,or at least very similar,may provide a better path for me.

#426678 - 07/16/10 10:36 PM Re: An Introduction [Re: Phineas]
Neinth Offline

Quote:
Also, this belongs in the "Questions About the Church of Satan" forum, where you can receive official responses.

Here it is possible you may receive views of people who are not members, or even Satanists; caveat emptor.

Thank you for moving this to the correct area,I did juggle with the options a bit before posting it where I did.I was actually interested in multiple opinions,but at the same time want more focused answers,which I might not have gotten if asked in a more public area I suppose.

Quote:
Pentagonal Revisionism is alive and well, and so are other goals.

I read,and re-read the Pentagonal Revisionism,and at first the number four made me chuckle a bit.The rest are great goals for any organization,religious or not.After some thought though,and as silly as it may sound,I do think that number four is the most interesting and important part.While not very interested in the "power" over anouther part,the companionship of something more rational and logical than the average human would be,well a god-send so to say.

Quote:
If you are interested in his writings then I suggest you purchase his books.

I do plan on purchaseing his books,but my main concern with doing so was if I would be getting a true version,or something that has been changed to the point it no longer had feasable information.The ammount of texts available when purchased new have been revised so many times that the information contained may no longer be what the original author intended,a prime example of this is the bible.

I want to thank you both for your resposes,and look forward to further dialogue within the community.

#426682 - 07/16/10 11:20 PM Re: An Introduction [Re: Neinth]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Why is it called Satanism?

Read The Satanic Bible, read the essays contained in the Church of Satan website. By doing so you will find the answer to this and many other questions that usually pop up, that are asked a thousand times over and over again as people become curious about Satanism.

We expect, and even demand that, at the very least, people read and comprehend The Satanic Bible before posing questions, especially those that can be answered through reading the texts.

The Foreword was changed because Magus Gilmore became the new High Priest after Doktor LaVey died in 1997.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#426685 - 07/17/10 12:06 AM Re: An Introduction [Re: Neinth]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Neinth
The ammount [sic] of texts available when purchased new have been revised so many times that the information contained may no longer be what the original author intended,a prime example of this is the bible.

Keep in mind that the Holy Bible is a compilation of works written over thousands of years by dozens of different authors, compiled by a committee in the 4th century CE, and is a collection of oral traditions translated to Hebrew and Greek, re-translated into Latin, re-re-translated into English, re-re-re-translated under the authority of King James, etc.

In contrast to this, the Satanic Bible was written in the 20th century (well after the invention of the printing press), in modern English, is only 40 years old, and we can compare current off-the-shelf copies with the original edition. So if you buy a physical, English copy of The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey (or for that matter, his other books) from a book store, there's nothing to worry about. The text is the same.

As for the new introduction, the older one was over 30 years old. A lot has happened since then. So the newer and more detailed introduction was way overdue.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#426692 - 07/17/10 02:01 AM Re: An Introduction [Re: Bill_M]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

The only noteworthy alteration to The Satanic Bible concerning anything written directly by Dr. LaVey is the omission of the dedication page, something few people would even notice. It actually has virtually no bearing on the text itself but it does provide some subtle hints that are interesting.

In response to Neinth, can you give any example from the last 500 years where there's any reasonable evidence of texts being altered in whole? Or the last 1000? The Christian bible is a rather poor example, it's a collection of loosely related texts by multiple (sometimes unknown) authors, many of them adapted from centuries old oral traditions, edited and imperfectly merged by vested interests centuries after they were written, with a number of equally relevant texts removed for various reasons, in an era predating the printing press, and translated from multiple languages into assorted "authoritative" translations using sometimes flawed scholarship.

Contrasted to this we have texts from ancient Greece and Rome that almost certainly do not differ greatly from the originals, and original copies of texts from the last thousand years against which we can compare any modern edition. Hell, look at Gilgamesh...thousands of years old, and to be sure missing some text, but it's pretty remarkable that we know as much as we do considering its age.

Worrying about the integrity of a widely published 20th century text which several people present own original first editions of is completely unfounded.

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406074 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements