Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#427376 - 07/24/10 05:41 PM Just out of curiosity
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

I was wondering what you guys and gals thought of this pentagram I made. It's 3/8th's inch round stock I arc welded together in my driveway and subsequently spray painted red.

Any and all comments/suggestions are welcome

Attachments
Photo 1.jpg

-Fry Futurama
Crocodilians take better care of their young then a lot of parents I know.
-Dr. Brady Barr

#427377 - 07/24/10 05:44 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Loc: Albany, New York
Will this be placed on top of a Christmas tree?

The tips should be more pointy.

#427379 - 07/24/10 05:55 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: M.D. Roche]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

I wish I could make the tips pointier, but unfortunately my chop saw doesn't cut to a 150º angle. But that being said, I could use my band saw to achieve such a steep angle.

Thank you for the feedback
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#427382 - 07/24/10 06:02 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Now that I think of it, I would love to see some examples of Satanic Christmas trees (oh, the irony!)

#427389 - 07/24/10 07:36 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
I am more interested in the decor of that room you're in. It looks well designed.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#427398 - 07/24/10 10:00 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Diwanna Offline

Loc: Upland
Maybe you could weld some sort of spikes on the ends to achieve the points. It also looks like it could use a bit of fit and finish, but maybe that's glare from the picture. Is this your first one? Not a bad start I must say.

There is a point in which empirical evidence outweighs your faith. It is then when you must chose to open your eyes, or close them. - Diwanna

#427400 - 07/24/10 10:19 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
DanielM Offline

Loc: Kintuhkee, Yew-Ess-Ay
Originally Posted By: Hatred_Incarnate
It's 3/8th's inch round stock I arc welded together

Whoosh -- way over my head! If I tried to do something like that, I'd probably end up trying to do it with Krazy Glue and making a mess of it ...

I agree, I think points would be better, but as it is I wouldn't mind having that on top of my Christmas tree.

#427404 - 07/24/10 11:28 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: DanielM]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

Thank you for the comments. They were helpful and, in Daniel's case, amusing.

Discipline:
That room behind Me is our families living room. It took 20 years to get to this stage, and who knows what we'll do to it in another 20.

Diwanna:
There is a LOT of glare from my webcam in that picture, but it could still be better. It's actually my second attempt. The first one neglected to take into account that in the real world, there are three dimensions, as opposed to the two dimensions on paper. Suffice it to say, the first one was a spectacular failure. And as to adding on the spikes, it's almost as much effort doing that as opposed to making a new improved version altogether.

And Daniel:
I've been working with metal for over 5 years now. I started blacksmithing when I was 14 and learned how to weld when I was 17. This is all second nature to me now.
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#427501 - 07/26/10 02:18 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
I wish I could make the tips pointier, but unfortunately my chop saw doesn't cut to a 150º angle. But that being said, I could use my band saw to achieve such a steep angle.

Where exactly would you be making a 150º angle? The lines should cross at 108º, and the points are at 36º (the supplement of which is 144º).

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#427506 - 07/26/10 04:24 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Bill_M]
PsychOff Offline

Back at school I was an avid workshop designer, loved working with plastics, woods and metals, making grand, extravagant joinery. My passions lie elsewhere now but this is something I'd like to return to one day as a hobby.

One thing about metal is its very forgiving (unless your dealing with stainless steel and such), smash it, melt it, twist it, and you can still make a decent finish with it. Due to the pentagram's precise angles you would need precision cutting tools; I don't know what tools you have at your disposal but as metal is such good fun to work with... I recommend a grinder. Cut the rods to size then lock them in a vice and carefully grind those edges to achieve those flat steep angles, stopping and starting to check your not going overboard, bit of a black art yes, but something to enjoy^^

Then to get them to join, again I don't know your tools but welding is too powerful and oversized for such a small thing (unless you made it bigger) and the protective masks constrict your vision too much. So I recommend braising it; blow-torch and thin strips of brass (has a lower melting point than steel) and create an outer bond on the joins, making it very rigid. Welding is stronger but at those sizes it won't matter. Braising is nice also because you can undo, welding makes more damage if you try to undo a mistake as it fuses the atoms together.

Lastly, since the rods are crossing one another I can see the two rods creating the middle V shape had to be lifted over; if you want it flat, cut them up to place in between or cut a groove on the rods where they cross paths.

Hope that helps, been ages since I thought about this stuff so I may be a little rusty (no pun intended).

HS!

Edited by PsychOff (07/26/10 04:28 PM)

#427507 - 07/26/10 04:53 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: PsychOff]
DanielM Offline

Originally Posted By: PsychOff
Then to get them to join, again I don't know your tools but welding is too powerful and oversized for such a small thing (unless you made it bigger) and the protective masks constrict your vision too much. So I recommend braising it; blow-torch and thin strips of brass (has a lower melting point than steel) and create an outer bond on the joins, making it very rigid.

What about soldering? I've never done anything with welding, braising, or anything like that, but I have done a little bit of hobbyist electronics ... would that work for something like this? I mean, the parts are pretty small, and it's not like it's supporting any stresses other than its own weight.

Danny

#427510 - 07/26/10 05:32 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: DanielM]
PsychOff Offline

Soldering uses tin, aluminum, zinc and alloys of it and really its designed for electronics and not much else; sometimes copper piping in households but soldering needs to have tight fits; it isn't really designed to bond stuff, its really a sealant or bridging electricity.

Brazing (I had spelt it wrong, my bad) is the one up from that, it can bond heavier metals together and the gaps of the joins don't have to be as close.

Welding you can have several inches in fact between joins. When Nuclear Submarines are built they have the tubular hulls in sections, put them together as close as possible then use high-class welders to fuse the sections together using a metal thats stronger than the hull itself then they test with ultra-sound and x-rays for imperfections... but Hatred_Incarnate isn't making a Nuclear Sub... I hope.

Sorry, I side-tracked, Brazing allows you to create good strong bonds, protective goggles are more visible, you can be closer and more accurate and you can amend mistakes. Soldering will not suffice, the weight of the mild-steel which I assume Hatred_Incarnate is using as he spray-painted it, is too heavy alone, that is stress enough.

But getting back to the red pentagram which I like, Hatred wants improvements with what he's got. Getting Brazing tools will be harder than getting a grinder I think, however to be honest Hatred, do it again but bigger, make one big enough to hang on your wall I say, that way the size of it will allow space for more accuracy using simple tools like a welder and grinder.

DanielM, I understand that even if you make perfect fits on the rods to shape the pentagram, logically I can't see it working; soldering melts a weak metal on top of a barely hot metal; with Brazing you heat up the joins red/yellow-hot to increase bonding. Not trying to disrespect your soldering idea, soldering is a fantastic skill to have, but its designed for miniature high-performance stuff.

#427515 - 07/26/10 05:43 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: PsychOff]
DanielM Offline

Originally Posted By: PsychOff
Not trying to disrespect your soldering idea, soldering is a fantastic skill to have, but its designed for miniature high-performance stuff.

LOL Don't worry about it; I'll freely admit I'm clueless on things like this. I've done my share of circuit boards, spliced PC power cables, etc. but nothing beyond that. I was just curious, and appreciate the explanation.

#427518 - 07/26/10 05:49 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: DanielM]
PsychOff Offline

Your most welcome. If we're desperate we can ask Jamie Hyneman from MythBusters, bet his mustache would wiggle with enthusiasm explaining all this better than I.

#427531 - 07/26/10 06:16 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: DanielM]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

Bill: When I said I needed a 150º angle (which I got off one of my drawings so it's not the most precise measurement) I was thinking to only make the one rod at what would actually be at a 144º angle. But now that you mention it, I like your idea better. It would make for a stronger joint. Thank you.

PsychOff: The most precise tool I have is a metal band saw. It has an adjustable clamp for cutting stock at an angle up to 45º. I also have grinders, bench and hand held. I'll give it all a shot. I used an arc welder for this one. I like it and I'm decent at it because it is big. I'm horrible at finessing things. And I never took a class for gas welding, whereas with arc I have. Although I have been experimenting with gas a little bit and I will certainly give brazing a shot. Also I don't have a problem seeing it as I only weld one joint at a time then take my mask off and throughly inspect it. And undoing an arc weld is quite difficult. I've made my fair share of mistakes and had to do that, which is now why I'm very careful. As for needing to make it flatter, I agree. The idea I had was to lay it all together on top of itself, mark where they need to be flat, then heat it up in my forge and pound them somewhat flat (I am a blacksmith after all). That would be easier (for me at least) then cutting them into a bunch of small pieces, keeping track of them, and securing them in place in the proper spot. Thank you for the insight though.
Also, I think that pun should be intentional as I absolutely LOVE them. The bigger the groan the better the pun in my book.

And Daniel: Soldering would technically work, but it would require A LOT of work if done with a soldering iron and wouldn't be as strong as the afore mentioned methods. Your best bet to solder something like this would be to use a torch (a simple hand held propane torch from a hardware store should work) and melt the solder onto the steel. You would also want to use acid based solder, as opposed to rosin core, which is what's supposed to be used for electronics.

Again, thank you all for your input, advice and opinions. This was just a rough idea I had and put it together in about 30 minutes. I will certainly take all of this into consideration as I make my third version of this. I will post a picture of the latest and hopefully greatest version of this when I am done. I hope to have this done by the end of the week.

Thank you again
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#427537 - 07/26/10 06:54 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
PsychOff Offline

Best of luck with it Hatred, apologies for I had missed your statement for how long you've been welding for, that experience of trial and error and finessing your hand movements will certainly make you confident and precise with a welder; I myself hate them lol, I like Brazing because I can make FIRE! Look forward to seeing the pictures, you should make stainless steel ones (I love the finish on those), could make a business out of this I should think.

The heat and pounding method to flatten them, I like it, SMASH IT TO YOUR WILL!!! - Will you be making a bigger one?

HS!

#427544 - 07/26/10 08:22 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: PsychOff]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

I've only been welding for 2 years now seeing as I'm 19. I forgot to put that number in there.

Personally I love my arc welder. I can make so much cool stuff with it. And I sate my fire need with blacksmithing. It gets up to 2,800 degrees with coal. 3,000 if I burn coke (a type of processed coal). With those temperatures I can literally burn the metal off. Heat it up to red, orange then yellow. The hotter it is the easier the metal moves.

And I don't think working with stainless steel is worth it. It's very expensive to buy (I don't know a number but I guarantee its more then under a dollar per foot). And then you have to buy specialty stainless steel welding rod, which would also be very expensive. And to top it off stainless steel is very difficult to work with in any regard. And you can't heat it up in the forge or else you burn the finish off, and that is not good to breath.

And yes, I will make a bigger one. One foot pieces to be exact. I'd make it bigger, but that's (obviously) five feet of stock right there. And my steel provider is over an hour away so using that much stock for one item is not something to take lightly.

And I desperately want this to be a small side business, but for some reason people won't buy ANYTHING I make that's bigger then an inch or two. They just want the tiny knickknacks that take a minute to make and are incredibly easy. People won't buy the larger items I make, both welding and blacksmithing. It's quite infuriating honestly. I like challenging myself by making more complex and intricate items, but people don't care enough to buy them.
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#427621 - 07/27/10 09:23 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
DanielM Offline

Soldering would technically work, but it would require A LOT of work if done with a soldering iron and wouldn't be as strong as the afore mentioned methods. Your best bet to solder something like this would be to use a torch (a simple hand held propane torch from a hardware store should work) and melt the solder onto the steel.

Yeah, I wasn't even thinking of the heat source. Shows ya how much I know about this. smile

Good luck with the business! And I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

#427622 - 07/27/10 09:43 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I'm no master welder but I've worked iron in my day. I'd recommend drawing a pattern on paper (or scrap wood) with pencil using a protractor and ruler, use this to mark your iron, and cut a sharper angle than you require (this translates to a wider angle when joined). Clamp the pieces down with a slightly wider angle to compensate for drawing together unless your clamps are rock solid. Whole key is to avoid welding the actual tip much though, fill in the middle all you want but you don't want to grind the tips. You can use a grinder and buffer to smooth out the rest of it to your heart's content, it all vanishes once you paint it anyway.

#427623 - 07/27/10 09:57 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

Thanks for the insight Hagen. Those are very good points that I had not considered.

Also, is that you or someone else (a character from a movie perhaps?) in your display pic? That's quite the nice get up there. I wouldn't mind having it myself, very medieval. Speaking of which, I hacked together a few weapons from that era of my own. They're not particularly useful as they are entirely solid steel and extremely heavy, but they get the point across as to what they are. Anyone want me to post a few pics of those?
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#427625 - 07/27/10 10:33 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

My avatar is Hans Adalbert von Schlettow portraying, of course, Hagen von Tronje in Fritz Lang's interpretation of Die Nibelungen. I'm not nearly that beautiful, though at least I share a bad eye with the titular character (and a shared sense of loyalty and fatalism).

Feel free to put up whatever ironworking you like. The best I've done is some catwalks for oil rigs, which thoroughly impressed my bossman (he assumed I was just another helper, I proved him wrong in short order) but is nothing to brag about. I'm actually more proud of having worked the rig itself, welding was practically a vacation after that.

#427641 - 07/28/10 03:39 AM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
HGaunt Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Sin City
I am guessing that your rig never shit all over the Gulf of Mexico either.

Seriously though, what is it like on an oil rig? I have never been on one and cannot honestly think of a reason why I would. However, I have always been curious as to what life was like on a rig.

-Ragnar Redbeard(Might is Right)

#427649 - 07/28/10 06:48 AM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: HGaunt]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
I was curious, too, after I read you and youtube seemed useful. smile

I found some slideshows, and this video without commentary.
(If I don't consider chosen background music as a commentary.)

I think I prefer an overland life. wink Though to be there could be interesting, for a while.

#427659 - 07/28/10 11:22 AM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Quote:
I'm not nearly that beautiful, though at least I share a bad eye with the titular character (and a shared sense of loyalty and fatalism).

Even though you claim that you're not nearly as beautiful, that avatar still suits you in my opinion sir! smile

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#427661 - 07/28/10 12:51 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: HGaunt]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

It was a land rig, I've never done offshore work.

Conditions also vary by rig. Some newer ones use fancy shit to break the pipe, but older rigs (like the ones I worked) still use chain wrapped around then yanked by a winch.

I'm not even sure how to describe the experience. When you're going down hole it's not too bad, you swing 60 ft lengths of pipe that could crush you like a bug into position, tighten them down with what amounts to a one ton pipe wrench hanging from chains, lower the pipe and repeat. The derrick hand has the most interesting job here, he stands atop the rig on the catwalk, catching pipe in the crane. When you're coming up hole, it's a little shittier because the pipe is full of hot drilling fluid (a mixture of oil and mud), so every time you break it apart at the base, 60 feet of fluid spills out all over you. Newer rigs have a mudbucket at the base to help with that, ours was clamp on and it wasn't so effective so I pretty much got drenched in piping hot oil based mud every few minutes. Obviously this coats the deck in sludge as well, in fact it's so slippery there are frequently heel blocks welded to the deck to catch your boots on so you can actually hang on while working the tongs.

Occasionally you have to go into the cellar (the pit under the rig where the stack is) and rework things, though sometimes you can get a wrenching crew to come do that for you (I also wrenched for a while).

The best summary of roughnecking is "it puts money in your pocket and meat on your bones."

Wrenching, by the way, is only slightly less hard work and actually has much longer hours. You can get called at 2 am to go out for a job where you won't sleep for 40 hours straight, eat once, and work a hammer that whole time. It's a real bitch, but you can rack up 100+ hour weeks.

#427670 - 07/28/10 04:15 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

I've been trying to upload pictures of some of my other metal creations, but it isn't working. I go to the file up loader, select I file, hit the add file button, and then it usually uploads forever. The file size is only 600 some odd kilobytes so its not over the size limit. And even when I do get the file added, I hit the preview button and it's not there.

Anyone have ideas what's going on?
All help is appreciated.

Thanks
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#427672 - 07/28/10 04:24 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I don't think it will show up in preview but it will be there if you attached it successfully.

Either that or just upload to TinyPic and insert with UBB code.

#427674 - 07/28/10 04:39 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

Hopefully this worked. These are two of the weapons I've made. A flail and a mace. I will post some of my metal artwork in a separate thread if some of You wish.

Attachments
IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#427692 - 07/28/10 07:51 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
PsychOff Offline

Ha! Hatred I love that T-Shirt, legendary stuff, where you get it?

#427694 - 07/28/10 08:03 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: PsychOff]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

It was either spencers or hot topic. Two stores which I used to frequent, but no longer do. They have some sweet shirts though
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#427729 - 07/29/10 10:57 AM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
HGaunt Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
The best summary of roughnecking is "it puts money in your pocket and meat on your bones."

Sounds like what my Father used to call, "Good, honest, Man's work."

#427747 - 07/29/10 03:29 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Roger Offline
Banned

Loc: NJ
Duuude you make some cool weapons. Be sure not to swing that thing around. It seems like a one-way ticket to the emergency room. I have treated many kids (young men) who have created things like that, and I would't want anything to happen by accident.

Here's a list why:

1. When EMS arrives on scene, they will make fun of you

2. The police on scene will make fun of you and charge you with something

3. The trip to the ER will be a ball-busting extravaganza

4. Upon arrival at the ER, the nurses and doctors will bust your balls

5. When you get home, hoping no major injury your peers will bust your balls

6. Finally, you never live it down because the scar left behind will always lead someone to ask, "How'd you get that scar?" forcing you to relive that horrible day.

It will just be the worst experience of you life, and the injury may not be the worst of it.

Live long and prosper devilchili

#427791 - 07/29/10 08:01 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Roger]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

Thank you, Ruben.

And yes, swinging around the flail is an EXCELLENT way to have the (hilarious) misfortune you described. Especially since there isn't a swivel joint anywhere on the damn thing.

And if you think that is dangerous, you should see My morning star. It's like that, only the ball is covered in half inch long screws securely welded on and the chain is only about a foot long, so it's much much closer to you face. It doesn't have a swivel joint either.

I'll upload photos of the other weapons I have at some point tonight.
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#427795 - 07/29/10 08:53 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Roger Offline
Banned

I've been involved in martial arts for 30yrs, and I am a fan of all sorts of combat weapons (not firearms). I'd love to see your other creations. Please do post the photos. devilchili

#427812 - 07/29/10 09:32 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Roger]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

I have 3 other weapon pics to post, along with an updated version of My mace. And I don't think you'll find any of My weapons in a martial arts studio as they are extremely large, heavy and overall just not very practical. My homemade knife is the only 'small' thing I have, but thats quite large itself. It's more of a big dagger in size really. I will post the aforementioned pics in a few minutes.
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#427817 - 07/29/10 09:59 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Roger Offline
Banned

All weapons interest me except firearms, they are too wimpy.

Edited by Ruben (07/29/10 09:59 PM)

#427818 - 07/29/10 10:01 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Roger]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
Originally Posted By: Ruben
All weapons interest me except firearms, they are too wimpy.

How on earth can an paramedic think firearms are wimpy? Did I get that right? Did you mention at some point that you were a paramedic?

#427819 - 07/29/10 10:12 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

These are the promised photos.

And compared to a sword, spear, mace, battle ax, etc, a gun is pretty fail. Anyone can pull a trigger and run, it takes training and ability to get that close to someone, disable them and get away without being harmed.

Oh dear, it seems as though I've done something wrong and the pictures are not included inside the post, but instead you must click on a link to view them. My apologies.

Attachments
IMG_0012.JPG (13 downloads)
IMG_0015.JPG (12 downloads)
IMG_0018_2.JPG (8 downloads)
IMG_0019.JPG (8 downloads)

Edited by Hatred_Incarnate (07/29/10 10:15 PM)
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#427820 - 07/29/10 10:19 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Delta]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

Shotgun wounds don't look very "wimpy" to me. I could prove my point by posting a really graphic photo but I don't think it would be appreciated.

#427821 - 07/29/10 10:43 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
S810 Offline

Loc: northwest
You only need a 72 degree angle, and you could use a grinder to get it.

#427822 - 07/29/10 11:03 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: S810]
S810 Offline

Another cool technique you may wish to employ with the solder idea is to make a mould of wood. All you do is use your saw to cut out a block in the shape of a pentagon, cut it in half. Then you'll need access to either a dremel tool or a router. Which you will use cut/carve out your desired pattern. melt some solder into the mold, let it cool, and polish. you can sand off the rough edges or even add edges like a blade. this wood work great for ornaments.

As far as welding, there is a lot of things you can do. mostly if you have the tools, you can let your imagination create anything you desire.

I got a piece of quarter inch steel that I burnt out in the shape of a dragons body, Im making a wood stand for It that will be it's wings, I'm gonna use the flat side of my grinder to give is some scales and other detail.

Attachments
serpentweld.jpg

Edited by S810 (07/30/10 09:23 PM)

#427823 - 07/29/10 11:05 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: M.D. Roche]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

When I say guns are wimpy, I mean compared to the weapons I make. I'd much rather take a shot gun wound to my arm then one from a battle ax. There's no question in My mind that guns are really dangerous, deadly and damaging. But compare a shotgun to a bastard sword, and I'll always say the bastard sword is more badass.
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#427826 - 07/29/10 11:17 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: S810]
Hatred_Incarnate Offline

That's why I love blacksmithing and welding. I can make damn near anything I can think of. And since it's metal, if I make a mistake, I can fix it. Like if Iut something off I shouldn't have, I can weld it back on.
-Fry Futurama
-Dr. Brady Barr

#427827 - 07/29/10 11:20 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
S810 Offline

I'll take a gun over a close combat weapon anyday in a fight, that being said I think both are equally badass in their own right. What about the A10 fully auto? that's a mean weapon.

#427828 - 07/29/10 11:20 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

The scariest thing about guns is that ANYONE can use them. A battle ax, on the other hand, requires a lot more upper body strength.

However, if some brute with a giant sword challenged me to a duel, I'd gladly take out a wimpy little pistol and show him who's boss.

*point, click, POW* I win. grin

#427829 - 07/29/10 11:26 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: M.D. Roche]
S810 Offline

Not true, my friend. Most people don't know much about the workings of a handgun or a rifle. And as far as wielding a good weapon with any kind of accuracy is not an easy taske either. Most weapons you see or buy of the blade variation are not working weapons. A real forged weapon thats been folded many times over will cut a fake sword in half.

#427830 - 07/29/10 11:37 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: S810]
M.D. Roche Offline
Banned

"Workings"? I think using a standard pistol is pretty self-explanatory. All the kids using them on the streets every day make it look pretty damn easy.

#427841 - 07/30/10 03:09 AM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: M.D. Roche]
HGaunt Offline

CoS Member

I believe the saying is "Might is right!" There is a reason firearms replaced melee weapons. Not that swords, axes, knives and so forth do not have their place but, try to win a war with an army of roman soldiers vs. a handful of guys with MK19s and M2 .50 Cal. Machine Guns (Don't even get me started on Artillery). Yes, I will take a gun any day over a sword. However, if you get too close I have no problem pulling out my knife to deal with it.

#427854 - 07/30/10 04:59 AM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: Delta]
Roger Offline
Banned

devilchili I just mean one can hide prior to using it. A nonprojectile weapon requires the user to face his enemy. Easy guys, firearms are deadly, and I see many deaths because of them. My point is the delivery.

Have you seen my cute collie?

#427901 - 07/30/10 04:43 PM Re: Just out of curiosity [Re: M.D. Roche]
S810 Offline

Those kids in the streets that are killing each other, are hardcore gang bangers. Not your average citizen. They have a lot of experience with firearms. And young people can be responsible or irresponsible just like the rest of us.

Sat, July 24, 2010 11:04:07 PMFW: Fw: Fw: 11Year Old Girl Shoots Two Illegal's
To: Freedy <satanevilpsycho@yahoo.com>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUTTE , MONTANA

Shotgun preteen vs. Illegal alien Home Invaders...

Two illegal aliens , Ralphel Resindez, 23, and Enrico Garza, 26 both from
central Mexico, probably believed they would easily overpower home-alone
11 year old Patricia Harrington after her father had left their two-story home.

It seems the two crooks never learned two things: they were in Montana
and Patricia had been a clay shooting champion since she was nine.

Patricia was in her upstairs room when the two men broke through the
front door of the house. She quickly ran to her father's room and grabbed
his 12 gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun.

Resindez was the first to get up to the second floor only to be the first
to catch a near point blank blast of buckshot from the 11-year-old's knee
crouch aim. He suffered fatal wounds to his abdomen and genitals.

When Garza ran to the foot of the stairs, he took a blast to the left
shoulder and staggered out into the street where he bled to death before
medical help could arrive.

It was found out later that Resindez was armed with a stolen 45 caliber
handgun he took from another home invasion robbery.

That victim, 50-year-old David 0Burien, was not so lucky.

He died from stab wounds to the chest.

Ever wonder why good stuff never makes NBC, CBS, PBS, MSNBC, CNN, or ABC
news........an 11 year old girl, properly trained, defended her home, and
herself......against two murderous, illegal immigrants.......and she wins,

She is still alive. Thankfully she didn't wait for the Federal Government
to enforce the "Immigration Laws"!

Now that is Gun Control!

Thought for the day.... Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'

is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

I like this kind of e-mail.

American citizens defending themselves and their homes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43974 Topics
406011 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements