Topic Options
#42796 - 06/02/04 07:06 PM Damn lurkers...
Powerslave Offline

Loc: UK.
Sir. As a newbie to this board, i find the number of lurkers rather alarming. Is it not possible for it to be a case of Join Or Leave instead of anyone surfing in and poring over various postings?

Thanks for your time.

P.

#42797 - 06/02/04 07:20 PM Re: Damn lurkers... [Re: Powerslave]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Is it not possible for it to be a case of Join Or Leave instead of anyone surfing in and poring over various postings?

It's my understanding that Magister Ventrue leaves the board open to the public so that individuals (lurkers and board members alike) can read acurate information about the CoS and Satanism rather than having people jump through hoops like on the pseudo-satanist boards. (Magister Ventrue, please correct me if I'm in error.) If he wanted to restrict who reads and posts, then I'm sure he would have instituted a usage fee a long time ago.

Why do the lurkers bother you so? A majority of the board's registered membership seem to prefer lurking.
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#42798 - 06/02/04 07:22 PM Re: Damn lurkers... [Re: LKRice]
Powerslave Offline

Loc: UK.
I think it is because i am used to using forums like www.thedvdforums.com where free registration is required...

Still, no problemo...

#42799 - 06/02/04 08:07 PM Re: Damn lurkers... [Re: Powerslave]
Knocko Offline

Loc: Michigan - Troll Country
Not to mention that everyone starts out as a lurker...(usually of varying lenghts of time)...?!
"When the long winter nights come on and the wolves follow their meat into the lower valleys, he may be seen running at the head of the pack through the pale moonlight or glimmering borealis, leaping gigantic above his fellows, his great throat a-bellow as he sings a song of the younger world, which is the song of the pack. "Old longings nomadic leap, Chafing at custom's chain: Again from its brumal sleep Wakens the ferine strain."" -Jack London, The Call of the Wild

#42800 - 06/02/04 09:01 PM Re: Damn lurkers... [Re: Powerslave]
Wonka Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The City of Red Lights
Some lurkers on this board spend their time learning how to conduct themselves here before posting. So long as they join in eventually, I'm all for it.

#42801 - 06/03/04 12:14 AM Re: Damn lurkers... [Re: Powerslave]
Captn_Thatch Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 11549'00"W 3714'00"N
I don't see any reason to be concerned with "Lurkers" only because this word itself was created by board moderators who either feel threatened by those who choose to only observe, or because they are lame enough to demand that everyone behave in a fashion complementary to their personal ideals of herd behavior. I myself didn't realize the implications of "Lurking" were so prominent elsewhere on the Web. I hardly knew that it had a name.

#42802 - 06/03/04 12:19 PM Re: Damn lurkers... [Re: Powerslave]
toad Offline

CoS Member

Loc: texas
I myself would rather be able to read through posts on a board before joining to ascertain the type of conversations that are carried out. I don't like the idea of having to register before sampling the goods. How do I not know that the site is not a total piece of shit? How do I not know that the individuals are morons? I "lurked" on this site myself for many months before I was sure that this was a productive site, and one that I wished to be a part of.
What you are basically suggesting [in my opinion though not on the same level] is akin to buying a brand new car, sight unseen, without ever taking it out for a test drive. I can't see why anybody with any intelligence would "ever" sign up for something before knowing what they were getting themselves in for.
Which brings me to another thought. Are you so insecure about what you are saying that you are worried that "anybody" could come along and read it? Are you saying something that could maybe bring yourself, and possibly other members of this board, trouble if particular people read it? To you have to be a part of a "special club" that is "members only" to feel special?
What could be gained by making this a "Join or Leave" site? Nothing.
What could be lost by making this a "Join or Leave" site? People that are intelligent with interesting things to say, that have the common sense to investigate a site to know exactly what it is they are signing up for instead of empty promises as to how "bas ass" this site possibly is.
How many people here have been burned by joining a site that was supposed to be something that it turned out not to be?
I am a registered member of this site, and I still mostly lurk. Either because there is no point in saying anything, or what I wanted to say has already been said well enough. I feel no need to respond to every single post, nor will I.

Hail Satan!
Hail Toad!

I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

#42803 - 06/03/04 04:37 PM Re: Damn lurkers... [Re: Powerslave]
Nyarlathotep Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
I for one don't like saying anything unless I actually have something to say.

Plus, a lot of the board members get (rightfully) irate if someone repeats something that has been posted (and resolved) a long time ago (in other words, resurrecting a previously dead horse that's already been beaten to a pulp).

"So now you'll see that evil will always triumph...because good is dumb."
-Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

HAIL SATAN!!

#42804 - 07/14/04 04:17 PM Re: Damn lurkers... [Re: Powerslave]
Rex28 Offline

what do you mean by lurkers?

#42805 - 07/14/04 04:33 PM Re: Damn lurkers... [Re: Powerslave]
Jackdaw Offline

Loc: Clayton, California
Let me quote Magister_Ventrue:

Get used to the Message Board and how things work within it before you start posting.

Also when replying to a post do not just post one-liners like "LOL" or ":)". Add some content to your reply by showing your intelligence, not your interest in internet jargon or how short you can make a sentence. The goal here is quality not quantity of posts.

#42806 - 07/14/04 04:59 PM Re: Damn lurkers... [Re: Rex28]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Why are you bothering to reply to someone who's been banned for over a month?
Prevention of Virtue

S Magazine 1 & 2
S Magazine 3

#42807 - 07/14/04 10:30 PM Re: Damn lurkers... [Re: LKRice]
Jackdaw Offline

Loc: Clayton, California
I didn't notice. I wasn't looking to see whether or not he was banned. I was assuming that since posts were still being spitted onto the thread that it was still relevant.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

#42808 - 11/03/04 03:40 PM Re: Damn lurkers... [Re: Powerslave]
Fresno_1 Offline

Loc: Fresno ca
i think its okay for people to check out what there fully getting into before joining. like me, i may want to join but i would also like to know and understand what im getting myself into1st. anybody would right?
My name is Heather, and Im looking to learn more about the Church of Satan, instead of listening to all the stereotypical bullshit. Im looking forward to talking to people involved with the Church, who can maybe answer some of my questions, and maybe join.

#42809 - 11/05/04 04:27 AM Re: Damn lurkers... [Re: Fresno_1]
MagisterParadise Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Burlington, VT
5 Nov XXXIX A.S.

Hello, Heather. My name is Magister Paradise, and I'll be your guide through the introductory process today. Take note of the following...

1) It is standard LttD practice (and a rule) to make an Introduction post in the proper section of the board. Please also read the important thumbtacked post from Magister Lang before doing so.

2) Read also the "Read And Understand" section provided by Magister Ventrue. It contains even more important information regarding this board and its members.

3) Before asking questions, I would encourage you to read carefully The Satanic Bible by Anton Szandor LaVey. After which, a thorough perusal of The Church of Satan's official website. Available also are the Satanism FAQ I have scripted (located both there and on this board) as well as the Church of Satan Informational Pack (located at churchofsatan.com). You will find that many members of this board are rather hesitant to take questions from folks who refuse to educate themselves first and want answers that are easily found in the aforementioned sources.

Other than that, welcome to the board.

****** READ DIABOLOGUE OFTEN ******

Purging Talon | On Facebook | On SatanNet
Bearing The Devil's Mark @ Amazon | The Book of Satanic Quotations @ Amazon | Terror Transmission

--------------------
"The world isn't black and white. It's grayscale" - Steve Wozniak

#42810 - 11/05/04 10:48 AM Re: Damn lurkers... [Re: MagisterParadise]
toad Offline

CoS Member

Loc: texas
Who are you? What have you done with the Magister Paradise I remember?
Quote:

Read the book.
Read the FAQ.
Go to our official site and read some more.

That is your source for learning.

Come back Magister! Turn back to the dark side of the force. Feel the power once again.
Toad

I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

Forum Stats
12017 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements