Topic Options
#428186 - 08/03/10 04:11 PM Satanism bans hunting?
Liberterius Offline

Rule of the Earth Number 11: "Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food."

I'm not a hunter myself, and have little interest in hunting, but I have a few other friends (including my girlfriend) that do.
I acknowledge that many Satanists, including myself, do generally have a certain reverence for animals, especially wild ones; their primal vitality, natural power etc. etc. and that we shouldn't hurt them needlessly.

But what about hunting? One can make the argument, as I do, that it is necessary in many areas worldwide to curb population of many animals whose natural predators have been killed off in the area by humans. So hunting can be done as a combination of: a food source, for sport, or for environmental reasons.

But then this Satanic Rule of The Earth seems to specifically prohibit hunting for the latter two reasons...
Hm.

#428190 - 08/03/10 05:45 PM Re: Satanism bans hunting? [Re: Liberterius]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

How the hell are you getting that? The rule simply reads "eat what you kill." Trophy hunting is therefore forbidden, food hunting is entirely acceptable.

Practices such as necessary culling are potentially grey but if it is done with good information and a reasonable belief that it is for the good of the animal population, and is carried out by officials charged with such duties, it could be viewed as a necessarily evil, so to speak. In this case I would argue that if the net result is that fewer animals suffer or die then it is not "harming animals" but rather doing something that may be unpleasant but is unfortunately a necessity.

#428209 - 08/03/10 09:34 PM Re: Satanism bans hunting? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Liberterius Offline

Aaaaaah ok makes sense.

I would say though that even not official government officials can participate in hunting for purposes of population control; that's why there's licencing, training, tagging, reporting online etc. in many, if not most US states. It does result in less net suffering for the population if you kill them down to below carrying capacity this season, so they don't starve and die of disease in the winter.

#428212 - 08/03/10 09:59 PM Re: Satanism bans hunting? [Re: Liberterius]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I'm not sure what you're saying or asking.

A Satanist who is a licensed hunter may hunt and kill animals provided he intends to eat them. That is all.

A Satanist could also be employed as a ranger and carry out a culling as part of his official duty and I think it would be met with fairly little controversy. I do not think you would find much support for Satanists trophy hunting or killing for sport if they do not intend to eat the animal.

There are some commonsense cases like swatting a mosquito, or survival situations, but I don't think that really bears discussion.

#428457 - 08/07/10 12:38 AM Re: Satanism bans hunting? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Roger Offline
Banned

Loc: NJ
I have had the chance to go bow hunting with a friend who is an avid outdoors guy and federal officer. So I went to have the experience. I was very confident on by bow skills because I competed for a few years, so what the hell.

The agreement with my buddy was that he would take the meat, and I would get the skin because I don't eat meat.

As we went into the woods, my buddy a highly trained tactition waited and had a doe in his sights. I drew mine. I released the arrow before my buddy. My arrow landed behide the doe's left rear foot forcing it to jump and run. My buddies arrow struck the tree as the doe escaped. Because I startled the animal, my buddy was angry with me. " Hey veggie boy, you missed".

I laughed a replied "I did no such thing. My intention was to warn the animal, and I succeed you are the one who missed." "Why would you do that carrot sucker?" Unlike you, I am trained to sustain all life, and you are trained to dominate it".

At the top of his lungs he yells "there's a pansy paramedic in the woods, does anyone need a bandaid?!!!"" As he screamed, a family of deer took off to safety, and he lost his chance.

When I aimed at the first deer, I hesitated. I could not cause pain to this animal, and I had to prevent him from doing so.

I did not have the mojo to do the duty, and I hope I never develop it. Because that may change the way I treat the suffering people who rely on EMS for help.

I swore to do no harm! And that's a creepy vow that sits in your head influencing every though regarding others or animals.

Edited by Roger (08/07/10 12:09 PM)

#428463 - 08/07/10 02:56 AM Re: Satanism bans hunting? [Re: Roger]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Don't take this the wrong way but you're kind of a dick for fucking up your buddy's hunt. The very first time you did that I'd have sent your ass back to the truck to wait while I enjoy my hunt.

You're free to do whatever you like - on your own time. Interfering with someone else's time is not acceptable.

Doubly so because you willingly went along. He invited you, you went...and you thought it was ok to do that to a friend?

#428481 - 08/07/10 10:00 AM Re: Satanism bans hunting? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Roger Offline
Banned

Loc: NJ
You are correct! I did feel like poo! However, I had to buy beer and lunch for a week. Only fair! It's now a funny story told at gatherings!

Edited by Roger (08/07/10 12:10 PM)

#450287 - 04/24/11 09:25 PM Re: Satanism bans hunting? [Re: Liberterius]
Ashtar Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
This is your fourth violation in one day, a new record.
A ban is imminent.

Please note only Moderators and members of the Priesthood are allowed to reply to topics posted here.
All other replies will be deleted.

Edited by Daark (04/24/11 09:28 PM)

#450288 - 04/24/11 09:27 PM Re: Satanism bans hunting? [Re: Ashtar]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Is there a problem with your comprehension of the English language?

I just posted THIS!

And you have already been deleted and warned by the Moderators!

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406132 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements