Topic Options
#42982 - 06/04/04 06:16 AM Why call yourselves Satanist?
Bell Offline

I've been reading your CoS site. It's interesting to say the least.

On thing I can't figure out is why you call yourselves Satanist and practice "satanism".

I've read the philosphy, and plan on reading the Satanic Bible soon. You say there is no God or Devil (aka Satan, Lucifer, Belezibub, etc..) and that each person is their own individual God. Yet you use "Satan" as the symbol of your philosphy.

I am not doubt going to hear that "Satan" and "God" are Judeo-Christian creations, and not to automatically equate your philosphy with that of the Christian "Satan".

But that is exactly what any rational, english speaking person is going to. Satan is evil, hence the term Satanist denotes someone who worships evil. You are obviously not evil, because two of your rules is don't harm children or animals. Why associate yourselves with evil if you don't want to be perceived as such. Why get upset if someone thinks you're a bad person when they come to find that you are a Satanist. You can't redefine the word Satan and expect the world to follow.

Rationally speaking, it's more harmful to your cause useing Satan as your symbol when there are more creative symbols you could use to express your philosophy.

Unless... That's the bottom line. This guy LaVey is using the same technique as Marilyn Manson and Howard Stern; useing shock value to gain exposure.

Just some confusion I hope you can clearify.

#42983 - 06/04/04 07:35 AM Re: Why call yourselves Satanist? [Re: Bell]
Wile_E_Quixote Offline
CoS Member

Satanists haven't re-defined Satanism. Satan embodies the same qualities to us as it does to the rest of the world. The difference is that we don't consider pride, rebellion, individualism and selfishness to be evil. There will always be people who tack on slurs about abuse etc to our religion, but this abuse is not and never has been what Satan fundamentally represents.

As far as other people's opinions are concerned, if they are likely to hinder us by knowing that we are Satanist then we simply don't let them know. As for the others.........their ignorant opinions don't bother us because as far as we're concerned, they don't matter.

Quote:

Why get upset if someone thinks you're a bad person when they come to find that you are a Satanist.

We don't.

#42984 - 06/04/04 07:43 AM Please read... [Re: Bell]
Jack_Bauer Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Germany
... this answer by Magister Nemo.

And of course you should read The Satanic Bible in order to fully grasp what Satanism is.

#42985 - 06/04/04 08:50 AM Re: Why call yourselves Satanist? [Re: Bell]
Eric_Flu Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
Quote:

You can't redefine the word Satan and expect the world to follow.

It almost worked for Judeo-Christians.

#42986 - 06/04/04 09:11 AM Re: Why call yourselves Satanist? [Re: Bell]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
Quote:

Rationally speaking, it's more harmful to your cause useing Satan as your symbol when there are more creative symbols you could use to express your philosophy.

The symbol of Satan serves as a necessary filter for those who cannot divorce themselves from conditioned and IRrational fears. It is also, as Dr. LaVey once said,"..most stimulating under that name.".

Edited by Pazuzu (06/04/04 09:39 AM)

#42987 - 06/04/04 11:13 AM Re: Why call yourselves Satanist? [Re: Bell]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Think beyond the ideas of good and evil.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#42988 - 06/04/04 11:23 AM Re: Why call yourselves Satanist? [Re: Bell]
Perndog Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
The other replies should cover why we use the name. Think about this in addition:

Think of the worst thing the Judeo-Christian Satan, supposedly the embodiment of evil, ever did. Did he kill any humans? Rape anyone? Injure anyone? Destroy anyone's property? No, only God ever got to do those things.

All Satan ever did was rebel against God and tempt humans to do the same. If Christians think that is the essence of the prime evil, *they* are the ones with the fucked-up ideas of reality.

And if they equate the name "Satan" with harming children and animals, they are not even familiar with their own mythology. Again, the good guy was always the one who took sacrifices.

#42989 - 06/04/04 11:54 AM Re: Why call yourselves Satanist? [Re: Perndog]
toad Offline

CoS Member

Loc: texas
That is a very good point Perndog. I've never really thought about it, but you are absolutely correct.
Thank you for that bit of information, I do love learning.

I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.

#42990 - 06/04/04 11:58 AM Re: Why call yourselves Satanist? [Re: Mr_Atrox]
Jack_Bauer Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Germany
Well said, Pazuzu.

"In other words, the reason it's called `Satanism´ is because it's fun, it's accurate and it's productive."
Anton LaVey

#42991 - 06/04/04 12:22 PM Re: Why call yourselves Satanist? [Re: Bell]
MagisterParadise Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Burlington, VT
4 June XXXIX A.S.

Read the FAQ.
Quote:

On thing I can't figure out is why you call yourselves Satanist and practice "satanism"... plan on reading the Satanic Bible soon

In many respects, you're asking the former because you haven't done the latter. Read the book, and THEN ask questions. Educate yourself first.

Often when this question is asked, it is meant to put Satanists on the defensive. And although I can't speak for others, I refuse to place myself in that position merely to enlighten you. So, read the book, the FAQ, and the Church of Satan website, and then return with educated questions, if desired.

****** READ DIABOLOGUE OFTEN ******

Purging Talon | On Facebook | On SatanNet
Bearing The Devil's Mark @ Amazon | The Book of Satanic Quotations @ Amazon | Terror Transmission

--------------------
"The world isn't black and white. It's grayscale" - Steve Wozniak

#42992 - 06/04/04 12:52 PM Re: Why call yourselves Satanist? [Re: Bell]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>Rationally speaking, it's more harmful to your cause
>useing [sic] Satan as your symbol when there are more
>creative symbols you could use to express your
>philosophy.

What exactly this "cause" of ours that you speak of? People who are so self-righteous that they can't get past a mere label are people we wouldn't want in our camp to begin with.

Actually, nevermind. I'm sure this thread will be rightfully locked soon. But hey! Maybe it's not to late to make an introduction post, just as the guidelines say.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#42993 - 06/04/04 01:41 PM Re: Why call yourselves Satanist? [Re: Bell]
Ringu Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany, Earth
Quote:

You dont know anything.
If you would be so rationally as you claim, then you would read the Satanic Bible FIRST and ask questions LATER.

#42994 - 06/04/04 06:49 PM Re: Why call yourselves Satanist? [Re: Wile_E_Quixote]
Powerslave Offline

Loc: UK.
Compared to the millenia-strewn years full of crimes againsts humanity that the Xtian church is guilty of, Satan is a proverbial Quireboy in comparison...

"I don't practice magic. It's the 21st Century for cryin' out loud. Get a life already!"

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43975 Topics
406010 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements