Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#437177 - 11/07/10 07:20 PM Re: Label Phobia? [Re: ookiesoup]
Nahash Prince Offline

Loc: Currently at large
That's true ookiesoup. It all depends on the intention of the one that labels others and things. And as for the labelly, it's all about how they view themselves and how do they affect others.

#437195 - 11/08/10 11:41 AM Re: Label Phobia? [Re: XUL]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
If you play this game right you can to a great extent play the psychological complex of prejudice and stereotyping like it was a musical instrument.

I really like how you phrased this!

Some people spend their lifetime being enigmatic, never divulging their "true" self to anyone but maybe their spouse and a very intimate circle of old friends. Isn't it ironic when two people meet and they then walk away, both having successfully deceived the other?

Naturally, everyone welcomes being overestimated -- having one's skills, talents, or attributes exaggerated in a positive light, granting a higher degree of respect than actually earned. By the same token, being underestimated may also work to one's advantage. This is just another example of the age old "wolf in sheep's clothing" cliche. Using this ruse one can remain "under the radar" and go unscrutinized. And when the time does come to show more of one's "true colors," the element of surprise is an ally.

Conceal, Confuse, Deceive.

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#437445 - 11/12/10 12:52 AM Re: Label Phobia? [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Cryptodelic Offline

Loc: Seattle
The wheelbarrow test

May you find this useful.

L P S Clock: 10:30

#437868 - 11/17/10 04:49 AM Re: Label Phobia? [Re: Cryptodelic]
Spjelke_Ulv Offline

Loc: Germany
I, for myself feel that I have a kind of subconscious urge to label people, simply to not have to bother longer to find out what they're really like.
If someone is really interesting, I just approach on my own to find out more, still going into the conversation with a little stereotype might not be that open-minded.
Once you've got to know somebody a little better, you wouldn't refer to him/her as "the goth" or "the nerd", because would somehow sound arrogant or even contemptuous.
So it's easier to label strangers, simply for there are no bad consequences to expect in the first place.
It backfire later though, that's why I keep those labels to myself.
If any of you have ever read Oliver Fehn's "Satan's bag of tricks" (I know, slight sensationalist slant...),
you've might come across the principle of keeping your personal thoughts to yourself, giving your opinion only when asked. That's what makes labelling me really hard for my environment, since I am a black-wearing dreadhead (which is one stereotype too much for the common labeller).
If only everyone would keep to shutting up until asked...
Maybe these labels wouldn't have even come up in the first place.
But as it seems, our "society" builds on labels, be it music, cars, peronalities, and so on.
Is that only my personal impression?

#438225 - 11/22/10 06:58 AM Re: Label Phobia? [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Disembodied Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Loc: Tropichell paradise.
We live in a very judgmental society. There are many people out there who seem to have an uncanny ability to "label" others. Some of these people are projectionists. There are also some people who are easily labeled, because they made the decision to fit into a certain niche. Ex. the wanna-be gangsta, hippie, prep, etc. These people are so out of synch with themselves that they try so hard to be something that they are not. They are called sheep. They follow the herd, and are led to slaughter. These people do not stand out above the rest. They are just another in a long line of weak minded "individuals".

#438358 - 11/23/10 09:12 AM Re: Label Phobia? [Re: Disembodied]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

Not to mention all the people who go around thinking they are Satanists. witch

#438367 - 11/23/10 11:27 AM Re: Label Phobia? [Re: Hatred_Incarnate]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Am I the only one who misread the title of this thread, upon first glance to be "Labia Phobia"?

No?

Man! I am sicker than I thought...

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43881 Topics
404445 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements