Topic Options
#433998 - 10/03/10 04:08 AM "Druidry" Recognised As Religion In The UK
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
BBC World News.

I'm a little surprised at this, considering that The Jedi Religion was acknowledged years ago and, as far as I know, there are (no matter what you think of it) quite the number of "druids" in Britain. One would have thought that this was already made official...

Which brings me to my point:

I doubt that it is even possible to emulate any realistic "pagan" mindset in today's world - and therefore I tend to think of all such efforts at returning to nature (or whatever) as kind of phony; considering that most of these people live in a modern world and have no qualms about taking avantage of all the benefits of "artificial society" when it comes to housing, technology, and so forth.

But if donning a more or less elegant robe and chanting silly songs at the Stonehenge is what floats your boat, then by all means knock yourself out. That, at least, is funny -- compared to much of all the other weird shit that people do in the name of religion.

Edited by XUL (10/03/10 04:11 AM)

#434019 - 10/03/10 11:56 AM Re: "Druidry" Recognised As Religion In The UK [Re: XUL]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: XUL
I doubt that it is even possible to emulate any realistic "pagan" mindset in today's world - and therefore I tend to think of all such efforts at returning to nature (or whatever) as kind of phony; considering that most of these people live in a modern world and have no qualms about taking avantage of all the benefits of "artificial society" when it comes to housing, technology, and so forth.

Nor did the pagans of antiquity have any such qualms. Like so many other apparent dichotomies, this one is really a spectrum, with wanton eco-spoilers at one end and Luddite anti-technologists at the other, and most people, today or yesterday, falling somewhere in the middle, often irrespective of religion.

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405804 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements