Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#434455 - 10/07/10 02:12 PM Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
This was posted under the News section on the Church of Satan website – but in my opinion deserves reposting here.

Magus Gilmore's interview with The Indie Spiritualist

If you haven’t already read it - you should. It is a brilliant introduction to Satanism that I intend on recommending to those who question my beliefs.

Hail Satan!

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#434458 - 10/07/10 03:17 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: Zsche]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
While I enjoyed reading the wise words of our present High priest, I have to say that I MUST get one of those "Pray for Anton LaVey" buttons!

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#434489 - 10/07/10 10:06 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: Zsche]
Darkcentre1 Offline

I just wanted to thank you for providing this link to High Priest Gilmore’s interview as it is yet another valuable contribution to my understanding.

I think H.P Gilmore has a unique gift for articulating what Satanism is and how a Satanist sees the world.

I particularly appreciated what he had to say about how a Satanist seeks just outcomes and is ethical and wields reason for judging people, based on a personal set of values, which are derived from careful consideration and evaluations of experience in the real world.

H.P Gilmore’s support of total personal responsibility was very welcome and really is (in my opinion) a side of Satanism that needs to be explained again and again to the average person on the street so it is understood clearly.

He also, as if this needed to be said, has an in-depth understanding of how Satanic principles should be applied in real world situations. Context, common sense, and appreciation of consequences is indeed everything.

I am hoping that someday these types of interviews will be released in book form as they are indeed valuable and should be preserved.

#434504 - 10/08/10 12:00 AM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: Zsche]
Venom Offline

Loc: In the Belly of the Beast.
Great interview about the basics of Satanism!
I enjoyed reading it.

#434509 - 10/08/10 01:47 AM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: Zsche]
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
While I enjoyed reading the wise words of our present High priest, I have to say that I MUST get one of those "Pray for Anton LaVey" buttons!

Indeed Roho! You made me curious – and the only mention that I can find of anyone ever selling them is here:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ultra-rare-anton-lavey-pre-cos-+2-rosemarys-baby

Perhaps they should be reproduced?

Originally Posted By: Darkcentre1

H.P Gilmore’s support of total personal responsibility was very welcome and really is (in my opinion) a side of Satanism that needs to be explained again and again to the average person on the street so it is understood clearly.

If I were in a southern baptist church and heard these words - I would scream from the top of my lungs: "CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!"...

Alas - they would not understand.

Hail Satan!

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#434573 - 10/08/10 04:19 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: Zsche]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
A good interview, perhaps if there were more of such interviews also in newspapers or on TV, there would not be so many misconceptions about Satanism. A lot of prejudice stems from ignorance.

Quote:
Heaven, Hell, any sort of non-corporeal afterlife, all are concepts that Satanists repudiate as naïve pipe dreams. We see that these often function to comfort people who cannot apply themselves towards the achievement of both personal goals and any desired social interaction in this, the one and only life we have.

Being spiritual does not mean neglecing our life, being irresponsible and lazy, or ignoring reality. Even if somebody isn't a materialist he still can live his life to the full. It's just a matter of belief that there is more to life than following our often selfish desires.

In the introduction it is written that Anton LaVey played the role of Satan in Rosemary's Baby. Did he? I have read it was some kind of an urban legend.

#434579 - 10/08/10 05:53 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: anna]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: anna
In the introduction it is written that Anton LaVey played the role of Satan in Rosemary's Baby. Did he? I have read it was some kind of an urban legend.

What introduction?

The interview was great!

"Being spiritual does not mean neglecing our life" What about fasting?
" being irresponsible and lazy" Yet there is a rule about keeping Sundays holy and many spiritualists refrain from work or responsibility.
"or ignoring reality" I think prayer is just that.

"Even if somebody isn't a materialist he still can live his life to the full. It's just a matter of belief that there is more to life than following our often selfish desires." That sounds like a delusional disorder.

Edited by Tier Instinct (10/08/10 08:55 PM)
Edit Reason: Oversight from interview/I retract the first question.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#434586 - 10/08/10 07:22 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: Lust]
anna Offline

"What about fasting?"
Fish and sea fruits are very healthy. wink

#434593 - 10/08/10 08:10 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: anna]
Lust Offline

"What about fasting?"
Fish and sea fruits are very healthy. wink

Have fun with that.

My plate runneth over. witch
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#434594 - 10/08/10 08:12 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: anna]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:
Being spiritual does not mean neglecting our life, being irresponsible and lazy, or ignoring reality. Even if somebody isn't a materialist he still can live his life to the full. It's just a matter of belief that there is more to life than following our often selfish desires.

Okay, so since you've decided to come here and grace us with your perspective, what does "being spiritual" mean exactly?

#434600 - 10/08/10 09:26 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: anna]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State

Being spiritual does not mean neglecing our life, being irresponsible and lazy, or ignoring reality. Even if somebody isn't a materialist he still can live his life to the full. It's just a matter of belief that there is more to life than following our often selfish desires.

I imagine it depends on how one would define "spiritual" or "religious." Certainly, I know from personal experience that not all self-defined "religious" or "spiritual" people are slouches and fuzzheads, by any means.

I also imagine that it depends on how one defines "selfish desires." I would agree that most human beings need and want some kind of a purpose or goal beyond just eating, sleeping, screwing, and evacuating, but I would argue that someone who pursues a "higher" calling is still pursuing self-interest. You can't escape selfishness, because you can't escape your own preferences, sensations, and perceptions.

How would you define "spirituality," Anna, and what would characterize a spiritual practice that is responsible, life-affirming, and level-headed?

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#434645 - 10/09/10 01:22 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: TrojZyr]
anna Offline

Since I'm asked, positive spirituality for me is a private relationship with God and the sacred, which can help me to learn the truth about myself and be a better person. It is something that gives meaning to my life. It is not going out and shouting rubbish in the streets as many people unfortunately do. It is for me also some kind of humility, knowing that everyone has a darker side, a shadow, therefore nobody can pose as a bright and flying angel.

Quote:
but I would argue that someone who pursues a "higher" calling is still pursuing self-interest. You can't escape selfishness, because you can't escape your own preferences, sensations, and perceptions.

I agree, it's true. I just meant irresponsible hedonism. There are some people for whom success and having fun are more important than their families and friends.

#434657 - 10/09/10 05:10 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: anna]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Since I'm asked, positive spirituality for me is a private relationship with God and the sacred, which can help me to learn the truth about myself and be a better person. It is something that gives meaning to my life. It is not going out and shouting rubbish in the streets as many people unfortunately do. It is for me also some kind of humility, knowing that everyone has a darker side, a shadow, therefore nobody can pose as a bright and flying angel.

That sounds reasonable enough--especially the parts about not proselytizing, and recognizing that people have both light and dark sides.

What do you think is the truth about yourself, and what does it mean to be a better person?

Quote:
I agree, it's true. I just meant irresponsible hedonism. There are some people for whom success and having fun are more important than their families and friends.

It's all about striking that delicate balance--after all, if you bleed yourself dry for everyone around you, eventually, you'll have nothing left to give. This is how people become so bitter, angry, resentful, tired, or depressed that their loved ones actually start to wish they'd be more self-focused!

Of course, on the other end, who doesn't hate the impulsive, irresponsible dipshit who buys a widescreen TV with their child's college fund money, and then uses said TV to babysit said child while they go hit the bars?

This is why Satanists emphasize responsibility AND self-interest.

#434661 - 10/09/10 07:04 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: TrojZyr]
anna Offline

Quote:
What do you think is the truth about yourself, and what does it mean to be a better person?

There are some unconscious fears, desires, emotions that can be harmful if let loose, so it's important to learn about them, bring them to light in order not to be ruled by them. (Jung's works are very enlightening, especially "Visions")

Quote:
It's all about striking that delicate balance--after all, if you bleed yourself dry for everyone around you, eventually, you'll have nothing left to give. This is how people become so bitter, angry, resentful, tired, or depressed that their loved ones actually start to wish they'd be more self-focused!

Of course, on the other end, who doesn't hate the impulsive, irresponsible dipshit who buys a widescreen TV with their child's college fund money, and then uses said TV to babysit said child while they go hit the bars?

Perfectly true, it's all about finding balance, some sort of compromise between pleasure and duty, between your interest and that of other people. Some don't find it so easy.

#434665 - 10/09/10 07:52 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: anna]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

There are some unconscious fears, desires, emotions that can be harmful if let loose, so it's important to learn about them, bring them to light in order not to be ruled by them. (Jung's works are very enlightening, especially "Visions")

Anton LaVey once said, "There is a beast in man which must be exercised, rather than exorcised." The Satanic view on the matter tends to be that it is indeed important to learn about our conscious and subconscious fears, desires, and emotions, and to bring them to light, as you put it, by channeling them appropriately--for example, in the ritual chamber. Complete repression and suppression usually don't work very well for very long.

Quote:
Some don't find it so easy.

Many, I'd say!

#434673 - 10/09/10 09:19 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: TrojZyr]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I would add, though, that many aspects of human nature Satanists don't have a problem with at all. Most of the "dark" (or traits labelled as dark) things are not seen as things to suppress and control, but to revere and indulge in.

The line, as it were, is different. The line between indulgence and compulsion is different. Responsibility is different. Guilt is different.

#434678 - 10/09/10 10:26 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: anna]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Quote:
it's all about finding balance, some sort of compromise between pleasure and duty, between your interest and that of other people

I would say that there needs to be a differentiation made in the term, "other people".

Reason being that I find myself willingly duty-bound to my family and friends (and I have very few friends). And I don't find fulfilling my duties to my family and friends to be unpleasurable. In many instances, my interests align perfectly with those of my family and friends.

When you use the term "other people", are you referring to other people as in the public at large, the herd, the Great Unclean, or are you referring to anyone other than yourself, which means you lump the welfare of your blood/kin and friends in with the welfare of the aforementioned herd?

#434715 - 10/10/10 10:26 AM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: Zaftig]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Originally Posted By: Zaftig
I would add, though, that many aspects of human nature Satanists don't have a problem with at all. Most of the "dark" (or traits labelled as dark) things are not seen as things to suppress and control, but to revere and indulge in.

The line, as it were, is different. The line between indulgence and compulsion is different. Responsibility is different. Guilt is different.

Exactly right. And, that's why we prefer channeling desires to either suppressing or repressing them--because once an emotion or instinct is expressed in the right place at the right time, it can become something immensely positive and incredibly powerful. The urges themselves are nothing to be feared.

Originally Posted By: Original sly
Reason being that I find myself willingly duty-bound to my family and friends (and I have very few friends). And I don't find fulfilling my duties to my family and friends to be unpleasurable. In many instances, my interests align perfectly with those of my family and friends.

Excellent point.

In cases where there isn't perfect alignment, I can at least say that the caring I feel for my loved ones outweighs, in the long run, any fleeting irritation I might feel over having to re-juggle my schedule or temporarily forgo some pleasurable activity in order to help them out.

And, in those situations where the burden on you is greater than the burden on them, there's always that lovely two-letter word to save the day.

#434725 - 10/10/10 02:21 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: Original Sly]
anna Offline

Certainly family and friends are more important than others whom you don't even know personally.

You can't care for all the people living in our world because it's impossible.

But there are situations when you are responsible for others (outside your family), for example in your work. This is what I meant and I think that you agree with it too.

#434726 - 10/10/10 02:29 PM Re: Magus Gilmore’s Interview with The Indie Spiritualist [Re: anna]
Original Sly Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Quote:
But there are situations when you are responsible for others (outside your family), for example in your work. This is what I meant and I think that you agree with it too.

I agree, though I was unsure whether you meant you had a duty as a Christian to think of the welfare of strangers (love thy neighbour and all that) or something else. But I see now you mean a responsibility and duty towards taking others, such as fellow employees, into consideration. And I can totally dig that as one of my duties at work is that of First Aid Officer, so I need to take others into consideration should they ever injure themselves in a way that requires first aid. smile

I just hope the obese woman, with the arse situated on her lower back rather than her 'behind', doesn't ever require resuscitation. Putting my lips anywhere near that mess of a face would require the selflessness of a saint. Blurgh!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12117 Members
73 Forums
43874 Topics
405554 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements