Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#435644 - 10/20/10 10:25 AM End of Earth Postponed
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
It has been suggested now that 2012 will not happen.

Let's add 2012 to the long list of failed doomsday predictions.

Apparently, people want the planet to be destroyed very bad.

Thoughts?

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#435647 - 10/20/10 10:29 AM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: LordofDarkness]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

This theme was visited in 1999 by Magister Sprague in his book "The Millennium: Aspects From Another Angle", where examples are shown of how the doomsday reset button has been pushed through history.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#435648 - 10/20/10 10:33 AM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: Phineas]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
I haven't heard of that book. I'll be delighted to look into that. Thank you very much Magister Phineas!

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#435650 - 10/20/10 10:44 AM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: LordofDarkness]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

The CoS Emporium used to carry it.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#435651 - 10/20/10 10:51 AM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: LordofDarkness]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Back in 1999, I observed five main (often overlapping) types of Doomsday-sayers:

1) Inwardly or outwardly vindictive or spiteful types who were looking forward to seeing sinners Get Theirs,

2) Overwhelmed types who felt that a complete meltdown of the system would allow them to return to a simpler, more straightforward way of life,

3) Would-be and wannabe heroes (and sometimes, villains) who believed that a complete meltdown of the system would give them an opportunity to rise to a position of power, glory, or leadership,

4) Rousseauians and Edenists who believed that a total meltdown would force the human race to get in touch with its spiritual and/or physical roots, and that this would bring about an era of unprecedented tranquility and prosperity,

and

5) Suicidal types who were out of touch with their own suicidality.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#435652 - 10/20/10 10:52 AM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: LordofDarkness]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
I never gave much thought to it, but could not help laughing when Neil DeGrasse Tyson talked about it on YouTube. He pointed out, that the big scare was related to an alignment of planets, which he admitted would happen in 2012 ... same as it would each and every year smile

Edited by verszou (10/20/10 10:52 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling misteak

#435665 - 10/20/10 12:40 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: LordofDarkness]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Really? Woof . . . Over the past decade I was really stressed over this. wink

There goes my doomsday party. cry

All this means is that new doomsday interpretations will be crafted by mystics.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#435667 - 10/20/10 01:08 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: TrojZyr]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Interesting...I fit #2.
grin

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#435670 - 10/20/10 01:43 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: LordofDarkness]
Venom Offline

Loc: In the Belly of the Beast.
I've always liked doomsday predictions, they make for great movies. I wonder what the next doomsday prediction will be...

#435676 - 10/20/10 02:24 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: Venom]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
Quote:
I've always liked doomsday predictions, they make for great movies.

Exactly, 2012 movie was brilliant!

#435683 - 10/20/10 03:36 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: verszou]
JayLucif Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Helheim
You better be careful with that laughing there buddy boy. grin

Well if you actually look at all the wild hairy 2012 theories, the notion is that in 2012 when the current Solar systems planets fully align an unknown and mysterious Planet X arrives from completely out of nowhere totally fooling all the worlds Astronomers and Astrophysicists. This event as some of these people claim will cause the large magnetic field from Planet X to pull the Earths Polar Magnetic fields which will cause the Earths fields to reverse and change the rotation of the Earth around the Sun and within the Solar system as well, creating all kinds of chaos and havoc upon the simpering cowering Humans on Earth. The story goes the seas will become land and the land will become seas, some sort of silliness.

Now this is all of course all assumption as I have yet to find one source in the Astronomy field that even says such a Planet X exists, if it does exist Astronomers are doing a horrible job of not finding it but quick. We need a fast track space program to blow that sucker up before the world comes to an end, maybe we can get Bruce Willis to Play the Space Hero for real this time. wink

http://ezinearticles.com/?Planet-X-Orbit...&id=4356169

http://polarshift2012.net/planet-x-orbit-2012.php

Just for some fun, since the Doom has been spoken about here might as well add to it, I love doom and gloom, gets me jollies off.

Although than again if I just think really, really hard with all my mental might, I might be able to make the whole mystery Planet X just disappear and everyone will be as snug as a bug in a rug and have never been the wiser. Yep little ole' me could become the savior of the whole wee wild world, yeah talk about a swelled up head now. grin

Freedom, baby is never having to say you're sorry. Guilt is like a bag of fuckin' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down. John Milton - The Devil's Advocate!

I'm gonna pull the whole thing down. I'm gonna bring the whole fuckin' diseased, corrupt temple down on your head. It's gonna be biblical. Clyde Shelton - Law Abiding Citizen!

------------------------------------------------------------

#435684 - 10/20/10 03:40 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
JayLucif Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Helheim
I hate to say it to but I kind of fit number 2 as well.
How odd.

Freedom, baby is never having to say you're sorry. Guilt is like a bag of fuckin' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down. John Milton - The Devil's Advocate!

I'm gonna pull the whole thing down. I'm gonna bring the whole fuckin' diseased, corrupt temple down on your head. It's gonna be biblical. Clyde Shelton - Law Abiding Citizen!

------------------------------------------------------------

#435694 - 10/20/10 04:49 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: JayLucif]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: JayLucif
Although then again if I just think really, really hard with all my mental might, I might be able to make the whole mystery Planet X just disappear

Too late! I already did it! I hope I at least get a new car like the guy who didn't burn a Koran. smile

#435711 - 10/20/10 08:18 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: LordofDarkness]
inky Offline

Loc: USA
Apparently the world has been ending since it began. Or something like that.

Even when most of these theories were at their height of popularity there was always a group that doubted it's validity and even if there was some evidence to support said theory, that there may have been a different interpretation.

For example, the Leeds hen. It was a hoax. The eggs were saying that "christ was coming." My first question would have been "when did they prove he came the first time?"

#435734 - 10/21/10 12:50 AM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: JayLucif]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: JayLucif

Now this is all of course all assumption as I have yet to find one source in the Astronomy field that even says such a Planet X exists, if it does exist Astronomers are doing a horrible job of not finding it but quick. We need a fast track space program to blow that sucker up before the world comes to an end, maybe we can get Bruce Willis to Play the Space Hero for real this time. wink

It is actually not a bad idea to get something like that up and running, not for Planet X, but for other bodies that may collide with Earth before we get into space.

I recently heard Phil Plait (The Bad Astronomer) talk about it on the skeptics guide to the universe. His claim was that NASA would not be able to move fast enough if there was an "Armageddon" scenario.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405803 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements