Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#436415 - 10/28/10 08:08 AM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: inky]
Lust Offline

Some funny things about Jesus and how that myth relates with this thread.

Mark 13

13:29 So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors.
13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done

Above we see that Jesus is a false prophet, since he predicts that the end of the world will come within the lifetimes of his disciples. The world of course didn't end then, and according to Ec.1:4 it never will end.

According to Ecclesiastes the earth will never end.

Ecclesiastes 1
1:4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.
Jesus contradicts this with the following from the book of Mark.

13:31 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

Edited by Tier Instinct (10/28/10 08:11 AM)
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#436426 - 10/28/10 10:45 AM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: Lust]
inky Offline

Loc: USA
Intersting.

With respect Tier, I really don't count the christian bible or any such tome as empirical evidence.

It's like trying to prove that the easter bunny exists using a bed-time story.

#436443 - 10/28/10 04:23 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: Lust]
Lamar Drummer Offline

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct
Some funny things about Jesus and how that myth relates with this thread.

Mark 13

13:29 So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors.
13:30 Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done

Above we see that Jesus is a false prophet, since he predicts that the end of the world will come within the lifetimes of his disciples. The world of course didn't end then, and according to Ec.1:4 it never will end.

According to Ecclesiastes the earth will never end.

Ecclesiastes 1
1:4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.
Jesus contradicts this with the following from the book of Mark.

13:31 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.

At the end there, "Heavean and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away," I don't think Jesus meant the earth literally will pass away but rather we shall pass away. Thats my asumption anyway, listening to local pastors preach about the matter, that is how they make it sound.

Not that I believe that the bible is the literal word of Jaysus.

Shit Lamar Says

#436457 - 10/28/10 06:42 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: inky]
Lust Offline

Originally Posted By: inky
Intersting.

With respect Tier, I really don't count the christian bible or any such tome as empirical evidence.

It's like trying to prove that the easter bunny exists using a bed-time story.

What? I was only pointing out that the "man" so many call, the christ, could not correctly predict the end of the world; according to the holy scripture. However or whatever that may mean to others. Oh nevermind. witch
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#436464 - 10/28/10 08:23 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: Lust]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland

The only thing I like on the side you posted is this picture. It's fantastic.
Quote:
Above we see that Jesus is a false prophet, since he predicts that the end of the world will come within the lifetimes of his disciples

Not the end of the world but the calamities like wars, persecutions and so on. They happen all te time. Also for every man death is the end of the world.

#436466 - 10/28/10 08:27 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: Lust]
inky Offline

Loc: USA
Oh no, I understood what you were getting at. I was just taking a swipe at the validity of the christian bible as a whole. Particularly that there's no scientific evidence to support any of it. That's all.

I've read christian scripture to great extent and became so disgusted with it that I simply don't except it in any mode of conversation.

I admit I probably could have written my post a different way. Apologies if it was misunderstood.

#436627 - 10/30/10 11:31 AM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: inky]
Tenebrae Offline

Loc: Virginia
Hello. I have been lurking here for a while, but I seldom participate in online forums. This thread, however, has given me a lot to ponder and has inspired me to step out of the shadows and share my thoughts. My apologies if what I post below is not as interesting as I think it is and I am merely connecting the dots and restating what has already been implied.

I know the thread has moved on to the subject of the timeline of Jesus, but two contradictory thoughts in this thread got me thinking. The first is that theology inspires war and genocide. The second is that war and genocide is not the sole creation of man, but the animal kingdom as well.

The conclusion I draw from this is that man's war against man is natural, neither good nor evil. And nature, keeping things simple, has very basic motivations for war. Maybe I'm reducing things too far, but the motivations of war are the acquisition of another group's territory or resources, or the defense thereof. Nothing more.

However, we, being an "enlightened" animal, can't be that simplistic. While the instigators of war may know the true motivations you need something more "meaningful" to inspire others to pick up weapons or strap bombs to themselves and do the dirty work for you. Enter theology. By convincing your armies that God is on their side and they will be rewarded in heaven your forces can be inspired to commit all manner of atrocities, and never complain if and when victorious that they didn't receive their fair share of the spoils.

To say anything more would be too political, if I haven't gone too far already. Just my two cents.

#436635 - 10/30/10 01:53 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: Tenebrae]
anna Offline

Quote:
My apologies if what I post below is not as interesting as I think it is and I am merely connecting the dots and restating what has already been implied.

It is interesting, why not?

Quote:
The conclusion I draw from this is that man's war against man is natural, neither good nor evil. And nature, keeping things simple, has very basic motivations for war. Maybe I'm reducing things too far, but the motivations of war are the acquisition of another group's territory or resources, or the defense thereof. Nothing more.

However, we, being an "enlightened" animal, can't be that simplistic.

Of course we are more developed than, for example, ants. And although we are sometimes driven by animalistic instincts we have reason so we can make choices, therefore our actions can be judged either good or evil whereas animals are above any moral judgement. Animals kill for food or territory, humans often kill simply for the fun of it.

Quote:
By convincing your armies that God is on their side and they will be rewarded in heaven your forces can be inspired to commit all manner of atrocities, and never complain if and when victorious that they didn't receive their fair share of the spoils.

True but God is a very general term. What about power and money? They are also gods. These gods have always been the most worshipped.

#436646 - 10/30/10 04:28 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: Lust]
Nahash Prince Offline

Loc: Currently at large
If you apply hermeneutics to the words of Jesus, you would actual find out that he was correct. Giving the time, space and place of his and their world. To the Jews, their world has ended within their generation according to their history.

It ended in 70 A.D. when the Romans invaded Israel. Their heaven and their earth indeed passed away. The words of Jesus echoed in their minds after the Romans invaded. Even today the words of Jesus have been a constant reminder of their world that was, then was not and now is.

As for the Jews of the pass in Jesus generation, history teaches that their world has ended while Jesus words did not. His teachings continued even to this present day. He had the ability to objectively look around him and assess current events which would give him a reasonable prediction. This is being done today, by governments and military forces. However, that doesnt make Jesus or those Immortal God-Creator; gods that can die, yes.

His teachings have always been misunderstood from his time to this present day. Perhaps there was something else about this Jesus that only a few understood. The book of John certainly hints to it. But that something I will not go into detail. I would prefer to stick to the historical facts here.

Cross-referencing Jewish and Greek words can bring a better understanding in part. However, world history has to fit. I dont think there was a contradiction with Jesus and the Tanakh. Given the fact that he and those he was speaking to understood, Earth and earth, World and world and Reality and reality. Hermeneutically and historically speaking, this Jesus was correct. But there isnt enough evidence about him for me to call him a God-Man.

Edited by Youngwolf (10/30/10 04:31 PM)

#436648 - 10/30/10 05:08 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: Nahash Prince]
munt Offline

Loc: Land of viscosity
To clarify, are you implying that jesus and the bible are legitimate?
Applying hermeneutics to the bible caused the origin of this thread.

#436658 - 10/30/10 08:16 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: Nahash Prince]
anna Offline

Quote:
If you apply hermeneutics to the words of Jesus, you would actual find out that he was correct. Giving the time, space and place of his and their world. To the Jews, their world has ended within their generation according to their history.

It ended in 70 A.D. when the Romans invaded Israel. Their heaven and their earth indeed passed away. The words of Jesus echoed in their minds after the Romans invaded. Even today the words of Jesus have been a constant reminder of their world that was, then was not and now is.

This could be another possible interpratation.

Anyway even in the Bible we don't have the exact date of the end of the world. Well, I don't know the whole Bible by heart, but as far as I remember, it says that only God knows when the world ends.

Therefore you also be ready; for the Son of man will come in that very hour which you do not expect. (Luke 12:40)
And if you do not awake, I will come against you as a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come on you. (Revelation 3:3)

Edited by anna (10/30/10 08:16 PM)

#436716 - 10/31/10 10:22 AM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: munt]
Nahash Prince Offline

Greetings munt. Just as magick is real, there are other things just as legitimate. It depends. However this is not the place to go into details. I was simply responding to another. I do not want to leave you hanging. But I would perfer that we move on to another topic as to say it would be better.

#436718 - 10/31/10 10:25 AM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: anna]
Nahash Prince Offline

Anna, read my responding post to munt.

#436723 - 10/31/10 10:45 AM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: anna]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Originally Posted By: anna

Of course we are more developed than, for example, ants. And although we are sometimes driven by animalistic instincts we have reason so we can make choices, therefore our actions can be judged either good or evil whereas animals are above any moral judgement. Animals kill for food or territory, humans often kill simply for the fun of it.

Our actions are not "judged" by anyone. And good and evil are nothing more than false generalizations, and concepts that were man made to begin with. What is good, and what is evil has changed significantly throughout the course of history, and it is usually dictated by a political regime.

Humans are not the only animals that commit certain deeds for pleasure, either. Dolphins are well known to have sex for pleasure, and to have personalities which facilitate rudeness and bullying, and I am sure it goes even further beyond that. Humans are not as unique as many would think them to be, and this argument when used in favor to support religious belief is such tiresome bullshit, I can't fathom why religious nuts even bother anymore.

#436746 - 10/31/10 05:21 PM Re: End of Earth Postponed [Re: TheDegenerate]
anna Offline

Quote:
Our actions are not "judged" by anyone.

Of course they are judged. Even if you think you're not judged by God, you are certainly judged by other people. Also we, ourselves, as civilised people have the ability to make judgements and predict the consequences of our behaviour.

Quote:
And good and evil are nothing more than false generalizations, and concepts that were man made to begin with. What is good, and what is evil has changed significantly throughout the course of history, and it is usually dictated by a political regime.

This is only partly true. The concept of good and evil certainly changed throughout the times and people follow various moral codes depending on their culture, religion and social background. However there are still some actions which are considered good or evil by all the sane people regardless of their political or religious views. Looking after one's children is generally thought to be a good behaviour, and although there are various ways in which parents bring up their children (better or worse), slaughtering babies is unacceptable even in the most primitive cultures. And no sane adult person with some knowledge of history would say that Josef Stalin was a decent guy and what he did was a pure virtue.

Quote:
Dolphins are well known to have sex for pleasure, and to have personalities which facilitate rudeness and bullying, and I am sure it goes even further beyond that.

The Nazis murdered millions of people just for pure sadistic pleasure. I'm not very good at biology, I can hardly find an animal which slaughters a big number of other animals just for fun. But perhaps there are some, I won't argue.

Quote:
I can't fathom why religious nuts even bother anymore.

I don't think I'm a nut but if your diagnosis is true then you are one of few sane people in this world asylum for looneys and it is hard life here.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements