Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#436387 - 10/27/10 11:59 PM Sycophancy as Lesser Magic
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
To echo the words of Doktor LaVey in his book SATAN SPEAKS!:

“I’m a sycophant. Also adulatory.”

These words are revealed in the day to day interactions of my existence. My seven year old daughter has already mastered the same skills that I use to achieve projected outcomes…

Everyone knows that individuals (herd or not) behave differently when praised. I know I do...

I’m not talking about kissing everyone’s ass, but in the correct situation – where deserved – expressed admiration goes a long way to manipulate your immediate environment when there are intentions of achieving a goal.

Who doesn’t like to be praised? In my opinion - deserved praise is a requirement of being a successful parent. To reiterate: Being a sycophant is a necessary part of ensuring that your children have a positive outlook of their own self worth and having them make an actual difference in this world.

Most parents that I meet look upon me with apprehension – but once they have the nerve to speak to me and get past my appearance - they see beyond - and realize that the responsibility that I demand of myself - is what I demand of them…

Parent or not – please describe how you are a Sycophant in your daily life.

Hail Satan!

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#436389 - 10/28/10 12:36 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
inky Offline

Loc: USA
I tend to reserve any praise for when I really feel the need to employ it. Not because I'm unfriendly, it's just that when it's given without expectation the effect amplified by the shock of actually recieving a compliment from me. Properly timed it's quite effective.

As the old saying goes "Flattery will get you...everywhere."

#436401 - 10/28/10 02:13 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: inky]
Zsche Offline

Interesting.

Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#436420 - 10/28/10 09:10 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: Nibas
... please describe how you are a Sycophant in your daily life.

I work at a kennel. If you'd asked me this a year ago I would've said the only time I thought adulation was appropriate was with the dogs. Praise, praise, praise good behavior. But it seems to work just as well, if not better, on the owners. grin

People love to hear good things about their dogs; they see their dog's character/quirks/whatnot as a reflection on them (whether they should or not). I don't lie to people but, with a little tact, I guess just about anything can sound like a compliment. So I make a point of telling each owner something specific about their pet.

And that's the key right there. It's the nature of the word "pet". I'm not just dealing with a dog, I'm dealing with an owner, too. Getting both of those to cooperate takes some practice but it really is possible to keep them wagging their tails, responding to treats and not pooping indoors.

At first, doing the compliment dance felt excessive (to me) and my co-workers kind of made fun of me. Now it's just SOP. And, yeh, my co-workers still tease me and that's okay. 'Cause I'm the one who gets the thank-yous and the tips. grin

Bottom line: A little tedious sometimes but good for business.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#436421 - 10/28/10 09:21 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
No more than he was a misogynist (cfr. his essay "Confessions of a Misogynist") do I believe that Doctor LaVey was a (real) sycophant. However, I have good reason to beleive that he liked to argue from the position of a villain - and by that I do not mean a real villain, i.e. a criminal, but - a figure that "common society" likes to villify. He would of course call himself a sycophant for lacking the "heroics" of being somebody who, to their own detriment, will stand up to power.

Well fuck that shit. Neither would I.

But first let's do away with the misogynist thing, to which I bring y'all exhibit one: Would a misogynist be able to write "The Compleat Witch"? No of course not. For whatever personal slander and/or silly suspicions y'all may feel entitled to place upon Old Uncle Anton: The evidence shows that he was a lover of women.

Next, we move to sycophancy.

What does the dictionary say?

Originally Posted By: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sycophant

1. One who uses compliments to gain self-serving favor or advantage from another.
2. One who seeks to gain through the powerful and influential.

What Doctor LaVey was hinting at with his embracing of the sycophant's role wasn't the lack of character required to be an uncritical ass-kisser but the strength to know when to put down your guard and stop fighting. If you think about it, it's little but personal vanity which makes people identify with a self-image that requires you to fight. In nature, only losers will fight unless they absolutely must.

In a curiously roundabout way, being "a LaVeyan sycophant" (I hope somebody sees and appreciates the humour of that one) is to up your ante for personal vigil and pride. If you really and truely don't give a rat's arse what other people "think" about you -- then how are you vulnerable to their judgement?

Take for instance something inevitable, like death. Or the taxman. You can't stop the taxman from coming. You can't do anything against customs, police, parking attendants and whatever civil beurocratic servants have you -- so why make a song and dance act out of it? Be a sycophant. Acknowledge their powers, smile and get on with your life. Eventually, becoming a great sorcerer equals the ability you have to detach from all such things that may lay claim to your awareness and attention.

Was that my two cents? Yes I think so.

#436423 - 10/28/10 09:56 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
Zsche Offline

Originally Posted By: Shade
I don't lie to people but, with a little tact, I guess just about anything can sound like a compliment.

Indeed Shade. Thank you for sharing your perspective. I know individuals who would consider “Hey man – you’d make a great pet.” a compliment.

Pets

Originally Posted By: XUL
Was that my two cents? Yes I think so.

…and a valuable two cents worth in my opinion. Thank you.

#436440 - 10/28/10 03:32 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Luckily, most people are not bright enough to know when they are being conned with insincere compliments and false friendliness. Moreover, sometimes when I am being totally sarcastic in paying a compliment, folks still are too fatuous to realize they are in effect being insulted. I don't know if this qualifies as sycophancy, but it is quite amusing.

The military has given me a plethora of opportunities to employ sycophancy in varying degrees. By UCMJ I am required to respect rank, but I am not required to respect the person -- at least not internally. Even if I think a superior officer is a complete douchebag, I will still behave as though I value his opinions and learn a great deal by working under him. Clearly, one can see how this builds good rapport, facilitates promotions, and generally makes things easier on one's self. My own ego is strong enough to where this doesn't bother me; I see it almost as business.

This mild form of manipulation can also be extended to my civilian work. By being pleasant and occasionally offering praise to supervisors, things run more smoothly. Simply exaggerating my respect for bosses and pretending to have a myriad of things in common with them helps to get my rare tardiness and mishaps completely overlooked. It's not that I don't do a good job already; it's just more icing on the cake. When I request specific days off, they are approved, and when openings for higher positions arise, I'll be considered. Sycophancy is not unlike flirting, except the desired outcomes are non-sexual.

Sycophancy can also be efficacious in any form of law enforcement, counter-intelligence, or security work. Hostage negotiation is an excellent example. The authorities cater to the demands of the outlaw for a much greater purpose. Once the criminal no longer has any leverage, he is then emasculted and taken into custody.

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#436444 - 10/28/10 04:32 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I find that compliments are received best when:

a)The compliment relates to something the subject/target believes about themselves, or already takes pride in,
b)The compliment relates to quality that has often gone unnoticed, and/or, most importantly,
c)The compliment is neither immediately preceded nor followed by a request or a demand, and otherwise appears to be relatively free of ulterior motivation.

Paying just the right compliment to someone right when they're feeling overworked, underpaid, and unnoticed can win you a chum for life.

Now, there are certain self-impressed, power-hungry types who actually love transparent displays of sycophancy, because it reminds them that they're the boss, and that everyone knows they're the boss. Of course, you have to accept the fact that these gross legumes will never sincerely respect or like a sycophant, even as they might show mercy or good humor towards one. Certainly, there are organizations and institutions where mercy and good humor are all you can ask for. But, if your goal is to win respect, admiration, or sincere love, you may want to take a different route.

Originally Posted By: ColemanCollins
Luckily, most people are not bright enough to know when they are being conned with insincere compliments and false friendliness. Moreover, sometimes when I am being totally sarcastic in paying a compliment, folks still are too fatuous to realize they are in effect being insulted. I don't know if this qualifies as sycophancy, but it is quite amusing.

No doubt there are people who can't read sarcasm or insincerity. But, are you certain that some of these people are just too polite to tell you flat out where you can stick your sarcasm? Are you perhaps missing their sarcasm? (Girls often do this little dance, wherein the first will offer an obviously sarcastic compliment, and the other will "gratefully" acknowledge the remark, and the air will just sizzle with barely-contained resentment and rage.)

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#436445 - 10/28/10 04:37 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Dax9]
XUL Offline

Sycophancy is not unlike flirting, except the desired outcomes are non-sexual.

Um, well, yes... but that depends entirely upon your lady of choice. Some of them are corrupted like that.

Joke aside, however, that's the shit. Right there. "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer" -- and whomsoever is in a real time position to offer you leverage with something that you want? Kiss his ass. Come on, just do it. Grease the wheels. Who cares? Life is short and filled with grief. Just make sure that your face doesn't stay in that position for the rest of your time. wink

#436480 - 10/28/10 09:44 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey
Incidentally, praise can be used to unbalance someone. Add to the excessive and subtract from the diminutive. For someone with an inflated self-image, praise can be poisonous. Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad. Praise can drive the excessively grandiose into a kind of madness, a deluded self-deceit that renders its victim blind to dangers.

If someone has instead a diminutive self-image, criticism will serve to unbalance. Here the deluded self-deceit will render its victim blind to opportunities, the madness of the man who is dying of thirst while sitting next to a water fountain.

#436533 - 10/29/10 02:25 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: XUL]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Well, I'm already a happily married man. I was mentioning flirting to serve more as an analogy than as something I still practice on a daily basis with the intention of seducing new ladies. In any event, I do agree that there are numerous women out there who are "corrupt" like that and even some who want to be corrupted! That's why I never married any of my ex-girlfriends who were like that.

With regard to using sarcasm, allow me to qualify my statements by adding that I would never do that to those who are amiable, respectful, or generally undeserving of that treatment. I only play that on those who are very arrogant, pretentious, bullying, or rude. The more they think they're hot shit, the more I enjoy deflating their ego. I hope my comments in my previous post were not misconstrued as offensive. If so, I apologize.

Lastly, I see, XUL, that you are also a fan of The Godfather trilogy! cool

-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#436556 - 10/29/10 05:21 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Dax9]
anna Online

Loc: Poland
Here are some "friendly and sincere" compliments that can cheer you up when you feel sad and hopeless: grin

I like you. People say I’ve got no taste, but I like you.

Don’t worry you're not as dumb as you look.

Oh wow, who cut your hair?… The council?

You’re so beautiful and blooming today..Happy Halloween !

I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid.

Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.

You have persuaded me to change my political views. After spending much time talking to you, I'm now in favor of abortion.

You've got such a soft heart and a brain to match.

#436603 - 10/30/10 05:45 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: anna]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Ha, ha, wow, I wish I would have read your reply before I went to sleep last night. I could have used the laugh! laugh But then again I was tired, being that I ran six miles yesterday evening after mission. (Not bad for a 38 year old, eh?)

I just like to try to stay in shape since my wife is a tiny Asian woman who weighs about 95 lbs. soaking wet.

Thanks anna, I love the jokes; maybe I can use them on some of the other guys around here. On second thought they may not get much out of them. We tend to be a bit thick skinned! cool

-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#436680 - 10/31/10 03:21 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Dax9]
XUL Offline

Lastly, I see, XUL, that you are also a fan of The Godfather trilogy! cool

Who the hell isn't? wink

#439305 - 12/04/10 01:04 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
I find it a bit insulting even, when people think they will get whatever it is they seek from me, by merely calling me gorgeous. I am not fucking stupid. I will give you an example:

Once I was walking down the road when I walked passed one of those people who work doing surveys on the streets... on my way down the road this survey fellow attempts to stop me on my track, saying how good the morning seemed to be to him and requesting if he could have a minute of my time, to which I have ignored and carried on my route down the road.

On my way back, now walking up the same road, I walk passed the same survey fellow who this time round, attempts to get me to stop me on my tracks, with a different approach... this time he throws into his lines, a couple of "compliments".

What, so I didn't have a minute to spare for a survey, on my way down the road, now I am going to have a minute to spare for a survey on my way up, just because you have called me gorgeous? Does that really work on that many people?

Christ.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12098 Members
73 Forums
43863 Topics
405469 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements