Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#436387 - 10/27/10 11:59 PM Sycophancy as Lesser Magic
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
To echo the words of Doktor LaVey in his book SATAN SPEAKS!:

“I’m a sycophant. Also adulatory.”

These words are revealed in the day to day interactions of my existence. My seven year old daughter has already mastered the same skills that I use to achieve projected outcomes…

Everyone knows that individuals (herd or not) behave differently when praised. I know I do...

I’m not talking about kissing everyone’s ass, but in the correct situation – where deserved – expressed admiration goes a long way to manipulate your immediate environment when there are intentions of achieving a goal.

Who doesn’t like to be praised? In my opinion - deserved praise is a requirement of being a successful parent. To reiterate: Being a sycophant is a necessary part of ensuring that your children have a positive outlook of their own self worth and having them make an actual difference in this world.

Most parents that I meet look upon me with apprehension – but once they have the nerve to speak to me and get past my appearance - they see beyond - and realize that the responsibility that I demand of myself - is what I demand of them…

Parent or not – please describe how you are a Sycophant in your daily life.

Hail Satan!

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#436389 - 10/28/10 12:36 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
inky Offline

Loc: USA
I tend to reserve any praise for when I really feel the need to employ it. Not because I'm unfriendly, it's just that when it's given without expectation the effect amplified by the shock of actually recieving a compliment from me. Properly timed it's quite effective.

As the old saying goes "Flattery will get you...everywhere."

#436401 - 10/28/10 02:13 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: inky]
Zsche Offline

Interesting.

Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#436420 - 10/28/10 09:10 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: Nibas
... please describe how you are a Sycophant in your daily life.

I work at a kennel. If you'd asked me this a year ago I would've said the only time I thought adulation was appropriate was with the dogs. Praise, praise, praise good behavior. But it seems to work just as well, if not better, on the owners. grin

People love to hear good things about their dogs; they see their dog's character/quirks/whatnot as a reflection on them (whether they should or not). I don't lie to people but, with a little tact, I guess just about anything can sound like a compliment. So I make a point of telling each owner something specific about their pet.

And that's the key right there. It's the nature of the word "pet". I'm not just dealing with a dog, I'm dealing with an owner, too. Getting both of those to cooperate takes some practice but it really is possible to keep them wagging their tails, responding to treats and not pooping indoors.

At first, doing the compliment dance felt excessive (to me) and my co-workers kind of made fun of me. Now it's just SOP. And, yeh, my co-workers still tease me and that's okay. 'Cause I'm the one who gets the thank-yous and the tips. grin

Bottom line: A little tedious sometimes but good for business.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#436421 - 10/28/10 09:21 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
No more than he was a misogynist (cfr. his essay "Confessions of a Misogynist") do I believe that Doctor LaVey was a (real) sycophant. However, I have good reason to beleive that he liked to argue from the position of a villain - and by that I do not mean a real villain, i.e. a criminal, but - a figure that "common society" likes to villify. He would of course call himself a sycophant for lacking the "heroics" of being somebody who, to their own detriment, will stand up to power.

Well fuck that shit. Neither would I.

But first let's do away with the misogynist thing, to which I bring y'all exhibit one: Would a misogynist be able to write "The Compleat Witch"? No of course not. For whatever personal slander and/or silly suspicions y'all may feel entitled to place upon Old Uncle Anton: The evidence shows that he was a lover of women.

Next, we move to sycophancy.

What does the dictionary say?

Originally Posted By: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sycophant

1. One who uses compliments to gain self-serving favor or advantage from another.
2. One who seeks to gain through the powerful and influential.

What Doctor LaVey was hinting at with his embracing of the sycophant's role wasn't the lack of character required to be an uncritical ass-kisser but the strength to know when to put down your guard and stop fighting. If you think about it, it's little but personal vanity which makes people identify with a self-image that requires you to fight. In nature, only losers will fight unless they absolutely must.

In a curiously roundabout way, being "a LaVeyan sycophant" (I hope somebody sees and appreciates the humour of that one) is to up your ante for personal vigil and pride. If you really and truely don't give a rat's arse what other people "think" about you -- then how are you vulnerable to their judgement?

Take for instance something inevitable, like death. Or the taxman. You can't stop the taxman from coming. You can't do anything against customs, police, parking attendants and whatever civil beurocratic servants have you -- so why make a song and dance act out of it? Be a sycophant. Acknowledge their powers, smile and get on with your life. Eventually, becoming a great sorcerer equals the ability you have to detach from all such things that may lay claim to your awareness and attention.

Was that my two cents? Yes I think so.

#436423 - 10/28/10 09:56 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
Zsche Offline

Originally Posted By: Shade
I don't lie to people but, with a little tact, I guess just about anything can sound like a compliment.

Indeed Shade. Thank you for sharing your perspective. I know individuals who would consider “Hey man – you’d make a great pet.” a compliment.

Pets

Originally Posted By: XUL
Was that my two cents? Yes I think so.

…and a valuable two cents worth in my opinion. Thank you.

#436440 - 10/28/10 03:32 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Luckily, most people are not bright enough to know when they are being conned with insincere compliments and false friendliness. Moreover, sometimes when I am being totally sarcastic in paying a compliment, folks still are too fatuous to realize they are in effect being insulted. I don't know if this qualifies as sycophancy, but it is quite amusing.

The military has given me a plethora of opportunities to employ sycophancy in varying degrees. By UCMJ I am required to respect rank, but I am not required to respect the person -- at least not internally. Even if I think a superior officer is a complete douchebag, I will still behave as though I value his opinions and learn a great deal by working under him. Clearly, one can see how this builds good rapport, facilitates promotions, and generally makes things easier on one's self. My own ego is strong enough to where this doesn't bother me; I see it almost as business.

This mild form of manipulation can also be extended to my civilian work. By being pleasant and occasionally offering praise to supervisors, things run more smoothly. Simply exaggerating my respect for bosses and pretending to have a myriad of things in common with them helps to get my rare tardiness and mishaps completely overlooked. It's not that I don't do a good job already; it's just more icing on the cake. When I request specific days off, they are approved, and when openings for higher positions arise, I'll be considered. Sycophancy is not unlike flirting, except the desired outcomes are non-sexual.

Sycophancy can also be efficacious in any form of law enforcement, counter-intelligence, or security work. Hostage negotiation is an excellent example. The authorities cater to the demands of the outlaw for a much greater purpose. Once the criminal no longer has any leverage, he is then emasculted and taken into custody.

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#436444 - 10/28/10 04:32 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I find that compliments are received best when:

a)The compliment relates to something the subject/target believes about themselves, or already takes pride in,
b)The compliment relates to quality that has often gone unnoticed, and/or, most importantly,
c)The compliment is neither immediately preceded nor followed by a request or a demand, and otherwise appears to be relatively free of ulterior motivation.

Paying just the right compliment to someone right when they're feeling overworked, underpaid, and unnoticed can win you a chum for life.

Now, there are certain self-impressed, power-hungry types who actually love transparent displays of sycophancy, because it reminds them that they're the boss, and that everyone knows they're the boss. Of course, you have to accept the fact that these gross legumes will never sincerely respect or like a sycophant, even as they might show mercy or good humor towards one. Certainly, there are organizations and institutions where mercy and good humor are all you can ask for. But, if your goal is to win respect, admiration, or sincere love, you may want to take a different route.

Originally Posted By: ColemanCollins
Luckily, most people are not bright enough to know when they are being conned with insincere compliments and false friendliness. Moreover, sometimes when I am being totally sarcastic in paying a compliment, folks still are too fatuous to realize they are in effect being insulted. I don't know if this qualifies as sycophancy, but it is quite amusing.

No doubt there are people who can't read sarcasm or insincerity. But, are you certain that some of these people are just too polite to tell you flat out where you can stick your sarcasm? Are you perhaps missing their sarcasm? (Girls often do this little dance, wherein the first will offer an obviously sarcastic compliment, and the other will "gratefully" acknowledge the remark, and the air will just sizzle with barely-contained resentment and rage.)

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#436445 - 10/28/10 04:37 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Dax9]
XUL Offline

Sycophancy is not unlike flirting, except the desired outcomes are non-sexual.

Um, well, yes... but that depends entirely upon your lady of choice. Some of them are corrupted like that.

Joke aside, however, that's the shit. Right there. "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer" -- and whomsoever is in a real time position to offer you leverage with something that you want? Kiss his ass. Come on, just do it. Grease the wheels. Who cares? Life is short and filled with grief. Just make sure that your face doesn't stay in that position for the rest of your time. wink

#436480 - 10/28/10 09:44 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey
Incidentally, praise can be used to unbalance someone. Add to the excessive and subtract from the diminutive. For someone with an inflated self-image, praise can be poisonous. Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad. Praise can drive the excessively grandiose into a kind of madness, a deluded self-deceit that renders its victim blind to dangers.

If someone has instead a diminutive self-image, criticism will serve to unbalance. Here the deluded self-deceit will render its victim blind to opportunities, the madness of the man who is dying of thirst while sitting next to a water fountain.

#436533 - 10/29/10 02:25 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: XUL]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Well, I'm already a happily married man. I was mentioning flirting to serve more as an analogy than as something I still practice on a daily basis with the intention of seducing new ladies. In any event, I do agree that there are numerous women out there who are "corrupt" like that and even some who want to be corrupted! That's why I never married any of my ex-girlfriends who were like that.

With regard to using sarcasm, allow me to qualify my statements by adding that I would never do that to those who are amiable, respectful, or generally undeserving of that treatment. I only play that on those who are very arrogant, pretentious, bullying, or rude. The more they think they're hot shit, the more I enjoy deflating their ego. I hope my comments in my previous post were not misconstrued as offensive. If so, I apologize.

Lastly, I see, XUL, that you are also a fan of The Godfather trilogy! cool

-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#436556 - 10/29/10 05:21 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Dax9]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
Here are some "friendly and sincere" compliments that can cheer you up when you feel sad and hopeless: grin

I like you. People say I’ve got no taste, but I like you.

Don’t worry you're not as dumb as you look.

Oh wow, who cut your hair?… The council?

You’re so beautiful and blooming today..Happy Halloween !

I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid.

Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.

You have persuaded me to change my political views. After spending much time talking to you, I'm now in favor of abortion.

You've got such a soft heart and a brain to match.

#436603 - 10/30/10 05:45 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: anna]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Ha, ha, wow, I wish I would have read your reply before I went to sleep last night. I could have used the laugh! laugh But then again I was tired, being that I ran six miles yesterday evening after mission. (Not bad for a 38 year old, eh?)

I just like to try to stay in shape since my wife is a tiny Asian woman who weighs about 95 lbs. soaking wet.

Thanks anna, I love the jokes; maybe I can use them on some of the other guys around here. On second thought they may not get much out of them. We tend to be a bit thick skinned! cool

-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#436680 - 10/31/10 03:21 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Dax9]
XUL Offline

Lastly, I see, XUL, that you are also a fan of The Godfather trilogy! cool

Who the hell isn't? wink

#439305 - 12/04/10 01:04 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
SINClair Offline

Loc: Europe
I find it a bit insulting even, when people think they will get whatever it is they seek from me, by merely calling me gorgeous. I am not fucking stupid. I will give you an example:

Once I was walking down the road when I walked passed one of those people who work doing surveys on the streets... on my way down the road this survey fellow attempts to stop me on my track, saying how good the morning seemed to be to him and requesting if he could have a minute of my time, to which I have ignored and carried on my route down the road.

On my way back, now walking up the same road, I walk passed the same survey fellow who this time round, attempts to get me to stop me on my tracks, with a different approach... this time he throws into his lines, a couple of "compliments".

What, so I didn't have a minute to spare for a survey, on my way down the road, now I am going to have a minute to spare for a survey on my way up, just because you have called me gorgeous? Does that really work on that many people?

Christ.

#439310 - 12/04/10 01:13 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: SINClair]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
Yeah, how dare that degenerate scumfucker compliment you while doing his job? You were right to ignore him instead of saying "No thank you," and moving on. That'll show him to be nice and work for a living. That worthless asshole!

#439332 - 12/04/10 08:44 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Delta]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Loc: Atlanta, GA.
Exactly, Delta. The nerve of some folks.

Witch TrojZyr made some excellent points and my mindset is very similar. Compliments are an essential tool for the Satanist, if learned how to use properly, both in giving and receiving them.

I always tend to want to blush and look away when someone compliments me, my first natural reaction is to be self deprecating. I eventually learned to hold my head high, look someone in the eye and genuinely thank them with a smile. If someone was genuine in their compliment, then they truly deserve a small kindness thrown back to them. If they were being sarcastic or were trying to dig for something else, then they walk away thinking they've gotten one over on me. Of course, I'm fairly good at detecting the intent and can make note of it. Let folks think I'm clueless, it puts me in a much more powerful position in the end.

I'm pretty free with my compliments in my day to day life, they serve me well in the workplace and in general contact with people. Like Witch TrojZyr already stated, I find they work best when they come from a place of honesty. I've got a woman in the workplace that reminds me of a loud, painted up rhino in heels, but if I take five seconds to compliment her on her dainty and simple necklace with a warm smile and a conspiratory nod of approval, I've made her day and have an ally that won't soon forget how wonderful I can be. A couple of these a week and you've got yourself an army of people willing to go to bat for you when you need it, and everyone eventually needs it. The bank teller will always assist you in a speedy manner, the cashier at the store always brightens to see you, and your following sincerely WANTS to go out of their way for the person that makes them feel great when they least expect it. They don't forget, just as I don't forget when someone goes out of their way for me.

I typically tend to withhold praise when I find someone is blatantly an attention seeker or a braggart. The devil in me enjoys withholding my praise when the rest of the room is feeding the monkey, especially when I see their eyes flickering to me in expectation, as I stand silently with a small smile and my eyebrow slightly raised. Honestly, though, most of the time I find nothing wrong with just taking a couple of minutes to say a few words to make someone smile when they need it, or hell, just because I CAN. I am secure enough in myself to know that it doesn't make my horns any less sharp or dangerous.

I may have a sharp tongue at times and can be known for my unadulterated commentary in any given situation, but the power of kindness and charm is not lost on this Witch. There is no better way to enchant a room.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#439333 - 12/04/10 09:58 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Bruja]
Indae Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Quote:
I typically tend to withhold praise when I find someone is blatantly an attention seeker or a braggart. The devil in me enjoys withholding my praise when the rest of the room is feeding the monkey, especially when I see their eyes flickering to me in expectation, as I stand silently with a small smile and my eyebrow slightly raised. Honestly, though, most of the time I find nothing wrong with just taking a couple of minutes to say a few words to make someone smile when they need it, or hell, just because I CAN. I am secure enough in myself to know that it doesn't make my horns any less sharp or dangerous.

I would make a post about how I feel, but then, I would be copying what you said here. I don't mean to hang on to what you posted and leave it at that, as if I don't have a view of my own, but it seems silly to re-write what has already been written. smile
In short, I couldn't have said it better myself! grin

#439339 - 12/04/10 12:41 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Delta]
SINClair Offline

The fact that I was wearing head-phones, and sun-glasses, not to mention walking fast, should already had been a clear sign of "no, thank you".

Some people do not wish to be approached and clearly show, people doing their job on the streets with survey, should approach the approachable kind, not the ones who clearly wish to be left alone to get on with their own business, with compliment or no compliment.

I do appreaciate an honest compliment however, and as funny as that may sound to some, I seem to get that kind from people who are not looking to get anything from me other than what they already have.

PS: Working for a living is a normal thing to do, working for a living is not "being nice".

#439341 - 12/04/10 01:05 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Bruja]
SINClair Offline

Originally Posted By: Bruja
Like Witch TrojZyr already stated, I find they work best when they come from a place of honesty. I've got a woman in the workplace that reminds me of a loud, painted up rhino in heels, but if I take five seconds to compliment her on her dainty and simple necklace with a warm smile and a conspiratory nod of approval, I've made her day and have an ally that won't soon forget how wonderful I can be.

You must be then either a really good actress, or your co-worker does not require compliments to come from a place of honesty, like yourself. Or maybe she does also require compliments to come from a place of honesty like yourself, and perhaps you are just thinking you are making an ally when in fact, nothing could have changed. Only the two of you would of course, have the answer to that question.

#439345 - 12/04/10 02:47 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: SINClair]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Sunglasses aren't nearly enough to show you don't wish to speak. If you want to display to people that you don't wish to speak, here's a suggestion that should come across clearly:

Attachments
sinclair.jpg

Description: It may benefit you on this board as well...

#439346 - 12/04/10 02:50 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Delta]
SINClair Offline

Certainly not the sun-glasses alone, if only, but the sun-glasses in addition to head-phones and fast-paced walk, would clue in anyone with the slight bit of common-sense.

#439347 - 12/04/10 02:58 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: SINClair]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

I know I just really wanted an excuse to use that picture I made. Took me several seconds in Photoshop grin

#439349 - 12/04/10 03:03 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Bruja]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
A couple of these a week and you've got yourself an army of people willing to go to bat for you when you need it, and everyone eventually needs it. The bank teller will always assist you in a speedy manner, the cashier at the store always brightens to see you, and your following sincerely WANTS to go out of their way for the person that makes them feel great when they least expect it. They don't forget, just as I don't forget when someone goes out of their way for me.

Bingo. Exactly. You can never have too many people in your corner, I figure. (Maybe you can have the wrong people in your corner, but that's another discussion entirely.)

Quote:
I typically tend to withhold praise when I find someone is blatantly an attention seeker or a braggart.

Right--and that includes people who fish for compliments by self-flagellating.

Quote:
Honestly, though, most of the time I find nothing wrong with just taking a couple of minutes to say a few words to make someone smile when they need it, or hell, just because I CAN. I am secure enough in myself to know that it doesn't make my horns any less sharp or dangerous.

True indeed.

Oh, and while I'm always polite to sidewalk-canvassers, I'm getting pretty tired of them, and when I can reasonably avoid or bypass them by pretending I'm in a terrible hurry, or pretending I can't see or hear them, I do.

Just the other day, a guy approached me, and tried to recruit me to his iglesia. I was very nice, but Ay, mierda!. He eventually gave up when it was clear that I was only getting a sixth of what he was saying. On the bright/funny side, it's the first time someone's ever called me mamacita.

Though, now that I think about it, I've actually been known to use them when I just feel like making conversation with someone who'll be a captive audience, because most of them will humor me, in hopes I'll sign their petition or join their religion. It's definitely manipulative and exploitative on my part, but hey, they started it wink.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#439351 - 12/04/10 03:42 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: SINClair]
Indae Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Quote:
on my way down the road this survey fellow attempts to stop me on my track, saying how good the morning seemed to be to him and requesting if he could have a minute of my time, to which I have ignored and carried on my route down the road.

On my way back, now walking up the same road, I walk passed the same survey fellow who this time round, attempts to get me to stop me on my tracks, with a different approach... this time he throws into his lines, a couple of "compliments".

Quote:
The fact that I was wearing head-phones, and sun-glasses, not to mention walking fast

I don't mean to nit-pick or over analyze, and this could be quite off topic, BUT, may I inquire as to how you heard this man with your quick feet and headphone covered ears? confused

Edited by Indae (12/04/10 03:43 PM)

#439352 - 12/04/10 03:53 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: SINClair]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

In your haste to speculate, I'm afraid you've missed the point of my example entirely. ( If there were an eye-rolling emoticon, I would strategically place it right here.)

My description of her was fairly colorful. Note that I did not compliment her heavy handed make-up application, earth shattering tone of voice or poor level of physical fitness that is sadly accentuated by her wildly ostentatious choice of clothing and footwear. Instead, I found something that I genuinely appreciated about her appearance and let her know. It was honest, and since she does not receive a great amount of positive attention in the workplace, it made her happy to hear kind words.

The point is that if your observation skills are keen, you generally don't have to be full of shit to say something nice. Hope that clears things up for you, it's a pretty simple concept.

p.s.Though my skills were not needed in this particular situation, I do happen to be a sensational actress.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"An inordinate passion for pleasure is the secret of remaining young" - Oscar Wilde

#439354 - 12/04/10 04:01 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
Lust Offline

Sycophant:

I think of Paul Lassiter who is played by, Richard Kind, on the show Spin City.

Quote:
I’m not talking about kissing everyone’s ass, but in the correct situation – where deserved – expressed admiration goes a long way to manipulate your immediate environment when there are intentions of achieving a goal.

"Deserved" or not when seeking a goal if one needs to say something like "Hey Boss, have you been working out?" even if there is no indication the result will still be the same. Timing is critical in this situation in order to gain a positive and lasting response.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#439379 - 12/05/10 02:20 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
ookiesoup Offline

Loc: N. Y. USA
I tend to only praise those who are in some position to help me, or give me stuff, like a good report at work, or free this, that, or the other. I've become rather adept at manipulation, and I feel: so what? I'll butter up that chump! To me it's just another survival tool- nothing to get all "INTELLECTO" about! Sycophancy is lesser magic, and easily mastered. devilchili devilchili devilchili

#439380 - 12/05/10 02:28 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: ookiesoup]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> I tend to only praise those who are in some position to help me, or give me stuff, like a good report at work, or free this, that, or the other. I've become rather adept at manipulation, and I feel: so what? I'll butter up that chump! <<

If someone is in a position of success, they're hardly a "chump"

A successful person knows that others want something from them and would see through you instantly.

When some kid writes to me and wants to send me their writing I know it's only because they think I can help them get published because they haven't yet worked out how to do that for themselves.

I was in that position many years ago. I never once pestered other writers. I worked it out for myself - in the days before the internet when getting published was infinitely more difficult than it is today.

I will help someone of I can see they have genuine talent. If they just have attitude and no ability I won't.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#439391 - 12/05/10 05:04 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

>> please describe how you are a Sycophant in your daily life.<<

Why would I do that and dissolve any powers I have? grin

There is a common vein running through this thread. People boasting of how clever they are at manipulating others.

How they do it. Why they do it. And the signs to look for when they're doing it.

Now I ask you, if they were that clever would they really divulge all such information?

One thing to always look out for is people who manipulate others for no other reason than they need to feed a weak ego. Manipulating others serves only to feed their sense of unworth, to give them a personal semblance of power over others.

These types are transparent and once seen through (yes, they can get away with it for a limited amount of time) sooner or later they can't pull their stunts with anywhere near the adeptness they believe they possess.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#439422 - 12/05/10 02:32 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

Quote:
Now I ask you, if they were that clever would they really divulge all such information?

Oh, I don't know about that. It's not like anyone has given away the key that unlocks the secrets of the universe here, it's just a conversation that's mainly been about how Satanists deal with the herd. I've not read anything in this thread that isn't easily found in The Satanic Witch. After all, manipulation is the cornerstone of Lesser Magic.

Besides, reading information and understanding how to make it work for you are two separate things. One doesn't guarantee the other, that's been seen about a million times around here. smile

#439478 - 12/06/10 02:12 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
GoodMourning Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
The military has given me a plethora of opportunities to employ sycophancy in varying degrees. By UCMJ I am required to respect rank, but I am not required to respect the person -- at least not internally.

Hear, hear! As a former soldier, I know exactly what you mean. Although I once had to remind my NCO that it was his rank I respected, not him (he couldn't make the distinction).

Originally Posted By: Delta
Yeah, how dare that degenerate scumfucker compliment you while doing his job? You were right to ignore him instead of saying "No thank you," and moving on. That'll show him to be nice and work for a living. That worthless asshole!

You read my mind. :P

A couple of these a week and you've got yourself an army of people willing to go to bat for you when you need it, and everyone eventually needs it. The bank teller will always assist you in a speedy manner, the cashier at the store always brightens to see you, and your following sincerely WANTS to go out of their way for the person that makes them feel great when they least expect it. They don't forget, just as I don't forget when someone goes out of their way for me.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Having worked in both retail and restaurants, sycophancy is basically second nature these days. While I no longer work in a field dealing with customers of any sort, the same tactics helped me to establish my position and to get what I want from my current employer, as well as other areas of daily life.

#439781 - 12/09/10 12:02 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
ookiesoup Offline

Loc: N. Y. USA
Domination seems to be a vital part of almost every social animal's life. The strong dominate over the weak, and in Japan there's a species of monkey that dominates through "royal blood lines" and only they can go into the mineral springs to soothe themselves while the rest hang around the edges and freeze. All sycophancy is is domination taken to the cerebral level - the human level. It's a clever attribute of our brains.

#439785 - 12/09/10 12:22 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: ookiesoup]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

>> The strong dominate over the weak, and in Japan there's a species of monkey that dominates through "royal blood lines" <<

Christ on the crapper! In Japan they have a monkey serving as Monarch?

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#439788 - 12/09/10 06:05 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
They are Japanese macaques and truly, they do have kind of primitive hierarchy. In volcanic hot springs, there bathe mainly mothers and children (who are of certain bloodlines), while one female usually sits on the edge and guards the lake so no one else can get in.

These ones. Primates are funny, fascinating creatures.

#439789 - 12/09/10 06:15 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Spelled Moon]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Yes I realise that, poppet.

But my implication was that a monkey rules the Japanese people. It was....

little joke. grin

But those monkeys even have Japanese faces. grin grin grin

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#439790 - 12/09/10 06:23 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
I know, of course, and chuckled. smile

I wanted to specify the species of those monkeys, since ookiesoup has mentioned them. I find them interesting.

#439800 - 12/09/10 10:59 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
JCLAG Offline
CoS Warlock

Also, one must never forget the importance of "please" and "thank you." I've received a few requests for help with things over the years from people pursuing their publishing, musical or other media interests, and their requests often came off as demands, i.e. "Get (so and so) to write a review for me" or "Ask (so and so) to do a station ID for me while you're on the phone." I try to be helpful to people - Lord knows I've benefited greatly from the help of others - but I do expect just a little politeness along the way. And I have no problem telling the one making the request where to go if their inquiry reads more like an eviction notice from my landlord than a genuine request for assistance or input.

There is no authority but yourself. - Penny Rimbaud

If everybody likes you, you're just kissing ass. - Jerry Only

#439822 - 12/09/10 07:18 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
XUL Offline

Originally Posted By: Rev_Strongbone
People boasting of how clever they are at manipulating others.

It's funny, isn't it, UV, how as time goes by people may not get what they want but they certainly get what they deserve. For better or worse. I think you look good in your current position - and that isn't even sycophancy, that's just the natural destiny of he whom I once a long time ago pegged as a very plausible "Mike" in a possible LttD remake of "The Young Ones". wink

Anyway, with respects to the subject at hand, I think the key word is the ability to stay detached and not get emotional over whatever some random passer-by might throw at you. The security of being yourself in yourself shouldn't have to jump into any stance of defence just because the world is moving past you, monkeys and all. So they look at you and make funny noises. So what? Why should this touch your flaming core that is your sense of self? Don't identify with the monkeys. Have pity. They are wrteched creatures who are lost at sea. Engaging them in any kind of word exchange can only deplete your own powers, whatever they might be.

It pays to be polite and respectful, formal and proper. Even well dressed! Not so much because they deserve it as because you owe it to yourself to not get upset over how monkeys, dogs and cows behave. They can't help it. They're stupid. Retarded. You are the one in power and in being so it's your duty to be the leader and the one who's commanding the situation. So you must be responsible. Why would you let a retard decide how you should act? That makes no sense. If you're superior you act as you would towards a little child (within reason, of course). Whatever they may or may not think about you is immaterial. You are in control. You will the situation to progress in favour of your objectives.

Lesser or greater magic, whatever, at the end of the day they are intimately connected - and unless you can control yourself you can't possibly be so foolish that you think you can control anything outside of yourself. What is "luck" if not the minute margins that will work in your favour because you're already performing at the maximum capacity of your abilities? Unsatanic as it may sound - have a little faith. Have faith... in yourself. Not as an idea but as a feeling which is as real as a fucking earthquake.

Happy holidays, everyone.

#439848 - 12/10/10 02:09 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: JCLAG]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Originally Posted By: JCLAG
Also, one must never forget the importance of "please" and "thank you." I've received a few requests for help with things over the years from people pursuing their publishing, musical or other media interests, and their requests often came off as demands, i.e. "Get (so and so) to write a review for me" or "Ask (so and so) to do a station ID for me while you're on the phone." I try to be helpful to people - Lord knows I've benefited greatly from the help of others - but I do expect just a little politeness along the way. And I have no problem telling the one making the request where to go if their inquiry reads more like an eviction notice from my landlord than a genuine request for assistance or input.

Indeed.

I should have added that I wasn't referring to anyone here. I meant some complete stranger who emails me through my website asking me to read their doings.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#439863 - 12/10/10 09:18 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
JCLAG Offline
CoS Warlock

Same here.

There is no authority but yourself. - Penny Rimbaud

If everybody likes you, you're just kissing ass. - Jerry Only

#439982 - 12/11/10 08:16 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Bruja]
SINClair Offline

People wanna come close. They are very needy.

You have to be very careful when you compliment or when you accept a compliment.

You don't wanna say nice hat and have to hear thre rest of it weeks later when you mat not have the time.

Compliments brings things to a personal level.

You have to be very fucking careful.

I find it always best to speak highly of thigs they like, keeping a healthy distance.

#439983 - 12/11/10 08:27 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: SINClair]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: SINClair
People wanna come close. They are very needy.

You have to be very careful when you compliment or when you accept a compliment.

You don't wanna say nice hat and have to hear thre rest of it weeks later when you mat not have the time.

Compliments brings things to a personal level.

You have to be very fucking careful.

I find it always best to speak highly of thigs they like, keeping a healthy distance.

Let's test that shall we?

Witch Bruja, your new Avatar picture is stunningly beautiful!

In 4 weeks we'll see if she cruelly assaults me with details of her beauty regiment. That would just ruin my day and I'll have nobody to blame but my myself for not being "very fucking careful". Oh dear lord she might even say thank you... What have I done??? WHAT HAVE I DONE?????????

#439984 - 12/11/10 08:38 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Delta]
SINClair Offline

I'm not going to argue with you.

You are not a Satanist.

You think like the man who sells vegetables round the corner.

#439985 - 12/11/10 08:44 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: SINClair]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: SINClaire

You are not a Satanist.

I... I don't understand. Are you saying you won't buy my cabbage? Because it's good cabbage. Fresh, crisp, harvested from the gentle slopes of Guam by workers who are well paid. We don't even use insecticide, for Guam is a land without pests.

I think 3.99/Lb is a fair price for this cabbage. frown

#439988 - 12/11/10 09:15 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Delta]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I'll buy your cabbage, Delta. It's a fair price for such valuable goods.

I'll buy your whole stock, and I'll eat them all up. Yum.

#439989 - 12/11/10 09:15 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: SINClair]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Geez, ya big meanie, you have no idea how hard Delta works for those cabbages.

crossbones

(Seriously, what does that even mean, "You think like the man who sells vegetables round the corner"?)
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

#439991 - 12/11/10 09:21 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Shade]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Tsk tsk, Shade, you just don't understand advanced metaphors. It means that Delta thinks like a hunter of aliens selling braziers around the North pole. Clear? Glad I could help.

#439992 - 12/11/10 09:23 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zaftig]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Merci Beaucoup, Mesdames! Choux gratuit pour tous!

#439993 - 12/11/10 09:39 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Shade]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
(Seriously, what does that even mean, "You think like the man who sells vegetables round the corner"?)

Perhaps it would make more sense if we personally knew the guy who sells vegetables “round the corner” from her. Maybe it’s one of those “you have to be there” sort of things. zombie

#440013 - 12/12/10 12:27 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
GoodMourning Offline

Well... this thread sure has taken an interesting turn. I'm in the mood for sauerkraut now.

#440044 - 12/12/10 08:43 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: SINClair]
Bruja Offline

CoS Witch

You are not a Satanist.

Thank you for the most hearty laugh I've had thus far this morning. Though I do think it's sort of mean for you to throw insults at poor Delta. We all know he's not all there, but we allow him to stay out of pity… and there you go, calling him out on his inferior brain power. It's almost not fair, how you use your staggering intelligence against someone so ill equipped to defend himself. At least you were kind enough to not actually argue with him.

In respect to your reply to me, thank you for your concern. I didn't actually realize how dangerous my kind behavior is. Phew, at least I enjoy living life on the edge. Thank Satan you're here to show me the error of my ways.

In all seriousness, I generally try my best to maintain a polite, but direct, demeanor here on the boards. If those around me will forgive one small indiscretion, I'd be awfully appreciative. Please don't hold it against me.

SINclair, your posts are really fucking stupid. The fact that you seem to think anything other than that fact means you are most likely really fucking stupid in person. Please don't lecture me or reply to me in the future. There is really no point, as anyone with a modicum of intelligence would be best served doing the exact opposite of anything you say. Now go spend the rest of your day telling yourself that I'm not a Satanist either, I really couldn't care less.

Now if everyone will excuse me, I'm off to make a video of my daily beauty regime for Delta, because we all know he's too dumb to read a nine page essay.
Hey, that bastard had it coming.

#440047 - 12/12/10 08:50 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Bruja]
GoodMourning Offline

Now if everyone will excuse me, I'm off to make a video of my daily beauty regime for Delta, because we all know he's too dumb to read a nine page essay.
Hey, that bastard had it coming.

This made my morning 90% better. Thank you. laugh

#440060 - 12/12/10 10:29 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
Venom Offline

Loc: In the Belly of the Beast.
How did this thread go from sycophancy to cabbage?
By the way, that's one sexy avatar, Delta.. Bruja, yours is quite sexy aswell but I just can't decide...

#440073 - 12/12/10 11:33 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zaftig]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

grin

Thanks, Z., I need all the help I can get. Kind of exhausting to need subtitles all the time but I swear I'm not speaking the same language as some folks even if it's technically English. It's like trying to decipher those damnably cryptic fortune cookies. Riddle me this, riddle me that... I usually just give up and eat the cookie. grin

#440077 - 12/12/10 11:52 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Shade]
GoodMourning Offline

Riddle me this, riddle me that... I usually just give up and eat the cookie. grin

Reminds me of Denis Leary... "Happiness comes in small doses, folks. It's a cigarette, or a chocolate chip cookie or a five second orgasm. You come, you smoke the butt, you eat the cookie, you go to sleep, get up in the morning and go to fucking work!"

#440119 - 12/12/10 09:36 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: SINClair]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
But . . . But his cabbage is kosher. That means it is really good. laugh

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#440145 - 12/13/10 08:12 AM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zsche]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Hmmm...I think it is important to take any statement made by Dr. LaVey in the context of the whole of his writings. It is somtimes insinuated that Dr. LaVey was a bull shit artist, and that is what lesser magic is about. Note...I am NOT concluding that this is your conclusion. The context of your quote is the complimenting people who you deem worthy of compliments. By your example, you already know this. As a parent, I try to point out where my son gets it right rather than wrong. I also try to do that as a supervisor at work, and as a spouse. This is a sign of having healthy self-esteem. Our children can inherit either our self-esteem, or lack of it.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#440183 - 12/13/10 02:51 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: John Prophet]
SINClair Offline

No, dear Prophet, the guy who sells vegetables round the corner from me is exactly the same as the guy who sells vegetables round the corner from you, and every other guy who sells vegetables all around the world.

The short-sighted kind of people who always sees things either black or white, never grey.

The kind of people who think inside the pocket compartment, inside of the box. zombie

#440185 - 12/13/10 03:17 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zaftig]
SINClair Offline

Originally Posted By: Zaftig

I wouldn't want to be the guy sharing the bed with you that night, if what you're planning to do is eating all that stock of cabbage in one go. grin

#440186 - 12/13/10 03:17 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: SINClair]
Maupassant's Offline

Damn, you seem to have dedicated your life to the study of vegetable sellers all around the world.

I would simply love to find out that John Prophet, when he's not busy planning to take over the world, engages in vagetables distribution. They're healthy you know.

#440190 - 12/13/10 03:25 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Maupassant's]
SINClair Offline

Originally Posted By: Maupassant's

I would simply love to find out that John Prophet, when he's not busy planning to take over the world, engages in vagetables distribution. They're healthy you know.

If you were paying attention to what you've been reading on these posts, you would have noticed that my comparison was not about John Prophet, in fact I very much enjoy reading John Prophet's posts on these Forums.

#440191 - 12/13/10 03:28 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: SINClair]
Maupassant's Offline

And my post was not against John, obviously, but rather about your vegetable-seller idea. Enough said.

#440193 - 12/13/10 03:33 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: SINClair]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I wouldn't want to be the guy sharing the bed with you that night, if what you're planning to do is eating all that stock of cabbage in one go. grin

Hey, some men are into eproctophilia.

And I wouldn't worry about people being so mean to you. It'll pass.

#440195 - 12/13/10 03:38 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Maupassant's]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: Maupassant's
I would simply love to find out that John Prophet, when he's not busy planning to take over the world, engages in vagetables distribution.

I’m afraid not, but that’s not a bad idea. In fact, controlling the distribution of agricultural goods could be an expedient route to global domination. wink

Edited by John Prophet (12/13/10 03:42 PM)

#440201 - 12/13/10 03:53 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: Zaftig]
GoodMourning Offline

Hey, some men are into eproctophilia.

I had to Google that. I now wish I hadn't...

#440202 - 12/13/10 03:56 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: John Prophet]
Maupassant's Offline

I hoped you'd see it that way :-)

#440220 - 12/13/10 05:38 PM Re: Sycophancy as Lesser Magic [Re: SINClair]
Delta Offline
CoS Member

the guy who sells vegetables round the corner from me is exactly the same as the guy who sells vegetables round the corner from you, and every other guy who sells vegetables all around the world.

The short-sighted kind of people who always sees things either black or white, never grey.

I tried to think of a funny reply to this, I tried to type up a sarcastic note on hypocrisy and I even typed out the first few lines of a lecture on how every vegetable salesman is unique like the leaves on an artichoke. But honestly, I simply cannot think of any way to insult or demean you that's nastier, funnier or more pathetic than what you do to yourself in every post.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements