Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#436497 - 10/29/10 09:31 AM Needing to cheer up?
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Back in your child years, what are some movies, music, or other means that lighten up your day whenever you are down for personal reasons? I mean "down" as in feeling sad or feel stressed out among a few examples.

Here's a song I used to listen to when I was about 10 and feeling sad. It cheered me up every time, especially when I saw the music video. smile

Edited by LordofDarkness (10/29/10 09:34 AM)

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#436509 - 10/29/10 12:40 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
As a child - I remember spending a lot of time outdoors creating and acting out imaginary scenarios when the politics of the house became too much to bear. There’s nothing like exploring the absolute limits of your imagination to bring about a change in mood. I rode my bike, played in the mud, and climbed trees too.

The TV in our home only received 3 channels (one of which was very snowy) and it rarely displayed anything other than news, sports, or the Lawrence Welk show. The only exception to this was on Saturdays when we would all eagerly crowd around to watch H.R. Pufnstuf, The Banana Splits, and The Pink Panther Show.

Music was very limited in our home except for what we made ourselves on the piano - until one of my sisters eventually saved enough money to purchase her very own console stereo. After discovering an 8-track of this, I spent hours in the solace of my sister’s room speculating wildly about what it must be like to be at a live concert…

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#436511 - 10/29/10 12:43 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Azeri Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Hell
What makes me happy at bad tiems is remembering soft spanish guitar music playing as background music in some of the old western movies. The Original Pink Panther makes me smile or laugh anytime anywhere.

www.vampiretemple.com

http://vampiretemple.com/vampirechallenge.html

#436538 - 10/29/10 02:34 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
inky Offline

Loc: USA
I work when I'm upset. At anything really. It's not so much the physical or mental labor that helps, it's accomplishing a satisfying result.

#436553 - 10/29/10 04:15 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
It's a lovely song that you posted, so optimistic.

During my school years, when I was sad I liked listening to this song:

Still whenever I hear this beautiful song it makes me feel better. smile

#436614 - 10/30/10 08:59 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Zsche]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Wow, you were an active one!

I didn't do that too much. I had a friend who climbed this tower for a baseball field where the announcer sits. It was probably 20 - 30 feet high or at least felt as such.

The field was used only for T-Ball teams. I've gone back to my old neighborhood recently and all I've found was a street with run-down houses and Bloods gang members walking around.

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

#436616 - 10/30/10 09:10 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: anna]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Azeri
What makes me happy at bad tiems is remembering soft spanish guitar music playing as background music in some of the old western movies. The Original Pink Panther makes me smile or laugh anytime anywhere.

I watched Pink Panther every so often. Video games were my thing back in the day. Games like Sonic the Hedgehog, Street Fighter, Super Mario Bros, etc.

Originally Posted By: inky
I work when I'm upset. At anything really. It's not so much the physical or mental labor that helps, it's accomplishing a satisfying result.

Well now that I'm about to be 24, I would listen to music. That is my number one option. The music I listen to helps me release all of the tension I have. I listen to Draconian, Mudvayne, Mushroomhead, and Dethklok to name a few.

Originally Posted By: anna
It's a lovely song that you posted, so optimistic.

Thank you.

#436630 - 10/30/10 12:24 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Schadenfreude-6 Offline

Loc: MB, Canada.
I watch old Ralph Bakshi movies like Fritz the Cat, War Wizards, Fire and Ice - movies that remind me of my childhood... Princess Teegra was and still IS the lady of my dreams. What a goddess! There are of course choices in music that relax me and make me feel better, some Death in June, Boyd Rice, Wagner, Beethoven, Von Thronstahl, and a lot of other stuff... but that isn't from my childhood so I guess the music bit isn't really relevant to this thread.

#436647 - 10/30/10 05:03 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Riddles Offline

Loc: Maryland
When I need to cheer up, I actually avoid happy things. I just push the negative emotions until it makes me sick. Then I feel better.

For example, when I get mad, I'll often go out, play some angry music on my Ipod (e.g. The Haunted), and beat the shit out of a tree stump with a baseball bat until I can't hardly breathe. Then I feel great. It works a lot better for me than listening to happy music or watching a happy movie.

"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul."
--Friedrich Nietzsche

#436780 - 10/31/10 10:55 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
As a child, I usually cheered myself by going outside and playing in the garden. I loved the flowers and could spend hours marveling over the miraculous sight of my dad's roses and lilacs.

I also played with the dog. I was a lonely kid, he was a lonely dog so we had that in common. And he was a great listener, never judged.

I read a lot. TV was limited as my parents didn't believe that it was a productive use of one's time but Buggs Bunny, Pink Panther, Kimba the White Lion and HR Pufnstuf were my favourites. (anyone remember the Bugaloos?) And Wild Kingdom. I loved nature shows.

Music meant classical music for the most part. My teen sisters and brothers eventually got into such bands as Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper but that "devil music" was only allowed in their rooms at low volumes. I wasn't permitted to hear it.

Eventually I heard a song called House of the Rising Sun by Eric Burdon and the Animals and to this day, it's a pick me up when I'm sad. Though if I'm angry and not sad, I soothe my feelings by cranking up Ov Fire and the Void by Behemoth or The Sacrilegious Scorn by Dimmu Borgir ;-)

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#436789 - 11/01/10 12:59 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Lamar Drummer Offline

Loc: Alabama
Nice to see a fan of the In Sorte Diaboli album. I honestly cannot see other peoples point about that album selling out or Dimmu Borgir losing their sound. Abrahadabra on the other hand is different.

Back on subject, my musical selection has always consisted of a depressive and misanthropic nature. In my own compositions I like to reflect a specific emotion, it generally reflecting dark atmospheres. If I am down, listening to or arranging various peices contributes to my content. I enjoy capitalizing on sadness in music, it has proved to be a motivator necessary for emotional response in the listener.

Edited by Lamar Drummer (11/01/10 01:01 AM)

Shit Lamar Says

#436816 - 11/01/10 09:40 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Physical activity has always been an effective anti-depressant for me. An accelerated heartrate and more oxygen to the brain has a way of bringing about natural good cheer. Playing football at recess or PE class were good ways to improve my mood when having a bad day at school. If no other kids were around and I found myself feeling down or bored, I would play on a swing or maybe shoot baskets by myself. Or I might take a walk in search of mischief.

Even in adult life jogging and weight training are excellent methods to defeat stress and anxiety. I do not agree with people permanently taking prescription xanax or anti-depressants unless they truly suffer from a clinical condition.

I agree that "happy" music does not necessarily improve my mood. I have heard people say that music by Nine Inch Nails is depressing and negative; I do not agree. Music from albums like the Pretty Hate Machine and songs like "Fade To Black" by Metallica actually get my juices flowing and bring a smile to my face.

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#436971 - 11/03/10 03:53 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
PrinceOfBabalon
Unregistered

#436990 - 11/03/10 09:40 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: ]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

I thought the talking horse was pretty funny. The Addams Family was a good movie. I think I might watch it again. It's been almost 10 years since the last time I've seen it.

#437162 - 11/06/10 11:52 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Lust Offline

At Ten years old I had turned my bedroom into an area that I could spend countless hours in. I had developed a liking for Professional Wrestling at an early age. My family attended Monday night matches at the Greenville Memorial Auditorium, in Greenville SC. I met several Wrestlers including Andre The Giant, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Black Jack Mulligan, Magnum TA, Harley Race, Arn and Gene Anderson and some that I can not recall.

Watching them perform on Saturday mornings and then seeing the promoted matches in person was always a thrill.

The brand was the NWA which evolved into the WCW. Then as I started watching cable television discovered the AWA brand. This Pro Wrestling outfit had scale versions of their Wrestling Rings and poseable action figures. I started collecting them and holding matches in my bedroom. I had built an Announcers table, Timekeeper Station with bell, and had Ring-Girls to fetch costumes before each match. Some matches lasted as long as Two Hours and yes, there was at times mock blood spilt!

I also included Masters of the Universe action figures in some of these matches. Some of the combatants had intro music and some did not but I kept my boom-box busy with 80's Metal and was happier than most of the people I went to school with. I looked forward to holding my matches and recording wins and losses. Then it happened.

The WWF was discovered and soon the game would be changed up. The WWF Wrestling Ring was twice the size of the AWA and so were their action figures. The figures were not poseable and were hard to have good matches with. They looked more like the intended Wrestler but were not as fun to play with. My matches and interest in Pro Wrestling continued but then girls became, well, a lot more interesting.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12253 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406357 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements