Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#437185 - 11/08/10 08:57 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Lust]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct
I also included Masters of the Universe action figures in some of these matches.

When it came to toys and cartoon shows, it was usually a case of a cartoon show becoming popular first, and then people making the toys out of demand. But with MotU it was the opposite: the action figures were out first, then they later decided to make a cartoon series to promote the toys, only to have the cartoon series ending up being a hit on its own. Ditto for Thundercats.

On a related note, I remember asking my mother why Skeletor's ram staff had a goat's head on the end. That's when I first informed that the goat was, at least in some contexts, a Satanic symbol. Thanks, Skeletor!
coopdevil

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#437189 - 11/08/10 10:09 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: LordofDarkness
Back in your child years, what are some movies, music, or other means that lighten up your day whenever you are down for personal reasons? I mean "down" as in feeling sad or feel stressed out among a few examples.

Gilligan's Island with a glass of instant iced tea and a double decker banana and peanut butter sandwich. Better than lithium.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#437192 - 11/08/10 10:24 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

Television shows:

Looney Toons
Beauty and the Beast (Soap Opera)
Woody Woodpecker
Reading Rainbow
Imagination Station
Bump in the Night
Peewee's Playhouse
Tales from the Crypt
The Magic Schoolbus
Dinosaurs

Toys:
My stuffed cat, and first toy, Kitty (whom I still have)
Monsters in My Pocket
Pirates of Dark Water
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Wrestling figures (Hillbilly Jim and Hulk Hogan)
Mighty Max

Books:
Where the Wild Things Are
The Cricket in Time Square (Still one of my favorite books)
Aesop's Fables
D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths
Goosebumps
Mammoth Book of Dinosaurs

Other Activities:
Creating comic books (Skinny Bunny, Cosmic Crusader, Stinky and Smelly)
Looking for Dinosaur bones
Red Devil
Freeze Tag
Hide and Seek

There is more to this list, but I just don't remember at the moment.

#437193 - 11/08/10 10:25 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
I remember that show. I used to watch a little of it right before I caught the bus for school.

I was more into Sonic The Hedgehog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4sTMpTUMhY

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#437196 - 11/08/10 11:49 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Bill_M]
Lust Offline

Ha Ha Ha! No wonder I used to team Skeletor up with Kevin Sullivan. cool
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#437223 - 11/08/10 11:48 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: SomethingLikeEvil
Television shows:

Looney Toons
Beauty and the Beast (Soap Opera)
Woody Woodpecker
Reading Rainbow
Imagination Station
Bump in the Night
Peewee's Playhouse
Tales from the Crypt
The Magic Schoolbus
Dinosaurs

"I'm the baby. Gatta love me!" grin

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

#437255 - 11/10/10 01:16 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Genevieve Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Listening to assorted cheesy top forty pop music in my bedroom and sing and dancing to it. It was so embarrassing if someone caught a peak of me doing it.

#437258 - 11/10/10 02:06 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Zsche]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: Nibas
As a child - I remember spending a lot of time outdoors creating and acting out imaginary scenarios when the politics of the house became too much to bear. There’s nothing like exploring the absolute limits of your imagination to bring about a change in mood. I rode my bike, played in the mud, and climbed trees too.

Boy, that sounds familiar! smile

I don't really remember having the conscious need to "cheer up" as a kid. I was one of those head-in-the-clouds, day dreamer, space cadets though. I never had any trouble going somewhere else if I didn't like where I was. Usually I’d just read (Dragon Magic by Andre Norton just jumped into my brain but there were lots). Like you, sometimes it was necessary for Sis and I to leave the house. I remember stealing away to a remote corner of a neighbor’s backyard (in this case, “backyard” means 200 acre cow farm) where there was a secluded grove we called Terabithia (after the book). Going there was like walking through the wardrobe (lion, witch...) Quiet, shaded, unlike any of the surrounding area, pure magic. That’s really where I learned how to flex my imagination, how to be a world-builder.

Huh, I haven’t thought about that in, oh gosh, something like 20 years. Pretty neat. smile
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#437321 - 11/10/10 03:44 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Lara Offline

I used to pull down the blinds, close the door, put on a casette tape
with 2 Unlimited and just dance around as long as I had energy.
Enjoyed making my own choreography and moves.

One time, I didn't hear my older brother walk in on me and he watched
me dancing for a while before breaking out in laughter. I was probably
teased for two years after that, with him mimicking my moves. blush

Otherwise, headphones and a vinyl with the Beatles or Elvis did good.
Loved to sing along and just disappear into the music.
Good for me - learned English that way.

Edit: Added an awesome video from my dancy casette tape.

Edited by Lara (11/10/10 03:49 PM)

#437698 - 11/14/10 08:54 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Lamar Drummer]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Lamar Drummer
Nice to see a fan of the In Sorte Diaboli album. I honestly cannot see other peoples point about that album selling out or Dimmu Borgir losing their sound. Abrahadabra on the other hand is different.

ISD is probably my favourite album by DB. I don't think they've sold out. I think they are just evolving. I mean does anyone want to hear the exact same sound album after album? I don't. But Abrahadabra hasn't exactly impressed the Hell out of me. Mind you, all I've heard is Gateways. I have the CD on order and I'm seeing DB in concert on Friday so I'll reserve judgement until then.

@topic: My childhood wasn't stellar. I was raised in a house full of adults so I spent a lot of time alone. I read a lot, spent a lot of time at the part and in the library or my room reading and having some pretty dark fantasies. Made for a great imagination but not great social skills. crossbones

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#437766 - 11/15/10 11:23 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: ]
Indae Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I love Mister Ed!! Me and my mother and two sisters used to watch that on "Nick at Nite", along with Happy Days, and The Monkees. What a wonderful time! Thank you for posting that, I'd almost forgotten about it. Speaking of horses, did anyone else pretend like thier bike was a horse?? I loved doing that, almost as much as I loved playing out murder mysteries with my Barbies...ugh, to be young again!!

Edited by Indae (11/15/10 11:27 PM)

#437985 - 11/19/10 01:08 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Spelled Moon
Unregistered

When I was little child, I did not have time to be unhappy. smile

Animals, cartoons, music, dolls and red Mercedes with flywheel were keeping me busy.

While I am trying to remember which were the most important songs/cartoons to me, two immediately stood out of the crowd.

When I was attending kindergarten, I was learning German language, it was just very basic grammar and vocabulary that we were taught, but I still found it useful a little later. I was 7 years old, when the series Mila Superstar were running on RTL2 (German TV station) and I used to watch it very enthusiastically, two times a day. smile At 6am and 2pm, before and after school. I liked this cartoon so much that later, I was playing volleyball professionally for some years; it has inspired me greatly.
When I think of it and compare it with some recent cartoons, these older ones appear 'strangely' sweet.
I even like its lyrics, still:

Mila ist 12 Jahre alt
Und lebt im fernen Japan.
Kulleraugen, Pferdeschwanz,
der Kopf voll Fantasie.

Fruher war sie krank und blass,
doch das ist vorbei.
Heute ist sie ein Volley-As.
Und ein kleines Wunder, Wunder, Wunder.

Mila kann lachen wie die Sonne uber Fujiyama.
Mila kann machen, was sie will und was noch keiner sah.
Mila kann fliegen wie die Schwalben uber Fujiyama.
Mila kann siegen. Irgendwann ist sie ein Superstar.

Immer, immer am Ball.
Das Spiel ist nie voruber.
Immer, immer am Ball.
Sie schafft es immer wieder.
Immer, immer am Ball.
Sie schafft es immer wieder, sie.

Mila kann lachen wie die Sonne uber Fujiyama.
Mila kann machen, was sie will und was noch keiner sah.
Mila kann fliegen wie die Schwalben uber Fujiyama.
Mila kann siegen. Irgendwann ist sie ein Superstar.

And the song I very much liked at the same age and was listening to on MTV, sometime was even waiting for it (and it always arrived), was this. I have found that vid very funny and it captured my interest with every single scene in it, colors, music, dance... everything.

Ah well... smile

#438134 - 11/21/10 09:19 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: ]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

That's very interesting. You're one of the few people in the world who don't have much sadness as a child.

#438224 - 11/22/10 06:55 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Disembodied Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Loc: Tropichell paradise.
Hatebreed

#438234 - 11/22/10 09:00 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Disembodied]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Is it the band you're refering to?

I only heard about them.

What songs are good?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43881 Topics
404446 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements