Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#436497 - 10/29/10 09:31 AM Needing to cheer up?
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Back in your child years, what are some movies, music, or other means that lighten up your day whenever you are down for personal reasons? I mean "down" as in feeling sad or feel stressed out among a few examples.

Here's a song I used to listen to when I was about 10 and feeling sad. It cheered me up every time, especially when I saw the music video. smile

Edited by LordofDarkness (10/29/10 09:34 AM)

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#436509 - 10/29/10 12:40 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
As a child - I remember spending a lot of time outdoors creating and acting out imaginary scenarios when the politics of the house became too much to bear. There’s nothing like exploring the absolute limits of your imagination to bring about a change in mood. I rode my bike, played in the mud, and climbed trees too.

The TV in our home only received 3 channels (one of which was very snowy) and it rarely displayed anything other than news, sports, or the Lawrence Welk show. The only exception to this was on Saturdays when we would all eagerly crowd around to watch H.R. Pufnstuf, The Banana Splits, and The Pink Panther Show.

Music was very limited in our home except for what we made ourselves on the piano - until one of my sisters eventually saved enough money to purchase her very own console stereo. After discovering an 8-track of this, I spent hours in the solace of my sister’s room speculating wildly about what it must be like to be at a live concert…

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#436511 - 10/29/10 12:43 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Azeri Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Hell
What makes me happy at bad tiems is remembering soft spanish guitar music playing as background music in some of the old western movies. The Original Pink Panther makes me smile or laugh anytime anywhere.

www.vampiretemple.com

http://vampiretemple.com/vampirechallenge.html

#436538 - 10/29/10 02:34 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
inky Offline

Loc: USA
I work when I'm upset. At anything really. It's not so much the physical or mental labor that helps, it's accomplishing a satisfying result.

#436553 - 10/29/10 04:15 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
It's a lovely song that you posted, so optimistic.

During my school years, when I was sad I liked listening to this song:

Still whenever I hear this beautiful song it makes me feel better. smile

#436614 - 10/30/10 08:59 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Zsche]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Wow, you were an active one!

I didn't do that too much. I had a friend who climbed this tower for a baseball field where the announcer sits. It was probably 20 - 30 feet high or at least felt as such.

The field was used only for T-Ball teams. I've gone back to my old neighborhood recently and all I've found was a street with run-down houses and Bloods gang members walking around.

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

#436616 - 10/30/10 09:10 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: anna]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Azeri
What makes me happy at bad tiems is remembering soft spanish guitar music playing as background music in some of the old western movies. The Original Pink Panther makes me smile or laugh anytime anywhere.

I watched Pink Panther every so often. Video games were my thing back in the day. Games like Sonic the Hedgehog, Street Fighter, Super Mario Bros, etc.

Originally Posted By: inky
I work when I'm upset. At anything really. It's not so much the physical or mental labor that helps, it's accomplishing a satisfying result.

Well now that I'm about to be 24, I would listen to music. That is my number one option. The music I listen to helps me release all of the tension I have. I listen to Draconian, Mudvayne, Mushroomhead, and Dethklok to name a few.

Originally Posted By: anna
It's a lovely song that you posted, so optimistic.

Thank you.

#436630 - 10/30/10 12:24 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Schadenfreude-6 Offline

Loc: MB, Canada.
I watch old Ralph Bakshi movies like Fritz the Cat, War Wizards, Fire and Ice - movies that remind me of my childhood... Princess Teegra was and still IS the lady of my dreams. What a goddess! There are of course choices in music that relax me and make me feel better, some Death in June, Boyd Rice, Wagner, Beethoven, Von Thronstahl, and a lot of other stuff... but that isn't from my childhood so I guess the music bit isn't really relevant to this thread.

#436647 - 10/30/10 05:03 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Riddles Offline

Loc: Maryland
When I need to cheer up, I actually avoid happy things. I just push the negative emotions until it makes me sick. Then I feel better.

For example, when I get mad, I'll often go out, play some angry music on my Ipod (e.g. The Haunted), and beat the shit out of a tree stump with a baseball bat until I can't hardly breathe. Then I feel great. It works a lot better for me than listening to happy music or watching a happy movie.

"Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul."
--Friedrich Nietzsche

#436780 - 10/31/10 10:55 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
As a child, I usually cheered myself by going outside and playing in the garden. I loved the flowers and could spend hours marveling over the miraculous sight of my dad's roses and lilacs.

I also played with the dog. I was a lonely kid, he was a lonely dog so we had that in common. And he was a great listener, never judged.

I read a lot. TV was limited as my parents didn't believe that it was a productive use of one's time but Buggs Bunny, Pink Panther, Kimba the White Lion and HR Pufnstuf were my favourites. (anyone remember the Bugaloos?) And Wild Kingdom. I loved nature shows.

Music meant classical music for the most part. My teen sisters and brothers eventually got into such bands as Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper but that "devil music" was only allowed in their rooms at low volumes. I wasn't permitted to hear it.

Eventually I heard a song called House of the Rising Sun by Eric Burdon and the Animals and to this day, it's a pick me up when I'm sad. Though if I'm angry and not sad, I soothe my feelings by cranking up Ov Fire and the Void by Behemoth or The Sacrilegious Scorn by Dimmu Borgir ;-)

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#436789 - 11/01/10 12:59 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Lamar Drummer Offline

Loc: Alabama
Nice to see a fan of the In Sorte Diaboli album. I honestly cannot see other peoples point about that album selling out or Dimmu Borgir losing their sound. Abrahadabra on the other hand is different.

Back on subject, my musical selection has always consisted of a depressive and misanthropic nature. In my own compositions I like to reflect a specific emotion, it generally reflecting dark atmospheres. If I am down, listening to or arranging various peices contributes to my content. I enjoy capitalizing on sadness in music, it has proved to be a motivator necessary for emotional response in the listener.

Edited by Lamar Drummer (11/01/10 01:01 AM)

Shit Lamar Says

#436816 - 11/01/10 09:40 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Physical activity has always been an effective anti-depressant for me. An accelerated heartrate and more oxygen to the brain has a way of bringing about natural good cheer. Playing football at recess or PE class were good ways to improve my mood when having a bad day at school. If no other kids were around and I found myself feeling down or bored, I would play on a swing or maybe shoot baskets by myself. Or I might take a walk in search of mischief.

Even in adult life jogging and weight training are excellent methods to defeat stress and anxiety. I do not agree with people permanently taking prescription xanax or anti-depressants unless they truly suffer from a clinical condition.

I agree that "happy" music does not necessarily improve my mood. I have heard people say that music by Nine Inch Nails is depressing and negative; I do not agree. Music from albums like the Pretty Hate Machine and songs like "Fade To Black" by Metallica actually get my juices flowing and bring a smile to my face.

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#436971 - 11/03/10 03:53 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
PrinceOfBabalon
Unregistered

#436990 - 11/03/10 09:40 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: ]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

I thought the talking horse was pretty funny. The Addams Family was a good movie. I think I might watch it again. It's been almost 10 years since the last time I've seen it.

#437162 - 11/06/10 11:52 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Lust Offline

At Ten years old I had turned my bedroom into an area that I could spend countless hours in. I had developed a liking for Professional Wrestling at an early age. My family attended Monday night matches at the Greenville Memorial Auditorium, in Greenville SC. I met several Wrestlers including Andre The Giant, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Black Jack Mulligan, Magnum TA, Harley Race, Arn and Gene Anderson and some that I can not recall.

Watching them perform on Saturday mornings and then seeing the promoted matches in person was always a thrill.

The brand was the NWA which evolved into the WCW. Then as I started watching cable television discovered the AWA brand. This Pro Wrestling outfit had scale versions of their Wrestling Rings and poseable action figures. I started collecting them and holding matches in my bedroom. I had built an Announcers table, Timekeeper Station with bell, and had Ring-Girls to fetch costumes before each match. Some matches lasted as long as Two Hours and yes, there was at times mock blood spilt!

I also included Masters of the Universe action figures in some of these matches. Some of the combatants had intro music and some did not but I kept my boom-box busy with 80's Metal and was happier than most of the people I went to school with. I looked forward to holding my matches and recording wins and losses. Then it happened.

The WWF was discovered and soon the game would be changed up. The WWF Wrestling Ring was twice the size of the AWA and so were their action figures. The figures were not poseable and were hard to have good matches with. They looked more like the intended Wrestler but were not as fun to play with. My matches and interest in Pro Wrestling continued but then girls became, well, a lot more interesting.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#437185 - 11/08/10 08:57 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Lust]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct
I also included Masters of the Universe action figures in some of these matches.

When it came to toys and cartoon shows, it was usually a case of a cartoon show becoming popular first, and then people making the toys out of demand. But with MotU it was the opposite: the action figures were out first, then they later decided to make a cartoon series to promote the toys, only to have the cartoon series ending up being a hit on its own. Ditto for Thundercats.

On a related note, I remember asking my mother why Skeletor's ram staff had a goat's head on the end. That's when I first informed that the goat was, at least in some contexts, a Satanic symbol. Thanks, Skeletor!
coopdevil

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#437189 - 11/08/10 10:09 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: LordofDarkness
Back in your child years, what are some movies, music, or other means that lighten up your day whenever you are down for personal reasons? I mean "down" as in feeling sad or feel stressed out among a few examples.

Gilligan's Island with a glass of instant iced tea and a double decker banana and peanut butter sandwich. Better than lithium.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#437192 - 11/08/10 10:24 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

Television shows:

Looney Toons
Beauty and the Beast (Soap Opera)
Woody Woodpecker
Reading Rainbow
Imagination Station
Bump in the Night
Peewee's Playhouse
Tales from the Crypt
The Magic Schoolbus
Dinosaurs

Toys:
My stuffed cat, and first toy, Kitty (whom I still have)
Monsters in My Pocket
Pirates of Dark Water
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Wrestling figures (Hillbilly Jim and Hulk Hogan)
Mighty Max

Books:
Where the Wild Things Are
The Cricket in Time Square (Still one of my favorite books)
Aesop's Fables
D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths
Goosebumps
Mammoth Book of Dinosaurs

Other Activities:
Creating comic books (Skinny Bunny, Cosmic Crusader, Stinky and Smelly)
Looking for Dinosaur bones
Red Devil
Freeze Tag
Hide and Seek

There is more to this list, but I just don't remember at the moment.

#437193 - 11/08/10 10:25 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

I remember that show. I used to watch a little of it right before I caught the bus for school.

I was more into Sonic The Hedgehog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4sTMpTUMhY

#437196 - 11/08/10 11:49 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Bill_M]
Lust Offline

Ha Ha Ha! No wonder I used to team Skeletor up with Kevin Sullivan. cool
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#437223 - 11/08/10 11:48 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: SomethingLikeEvil
Television shows:

Looney Toons
Beauty and the Beast (Soap Opera)
Woody Woodpecker
Reading Rainbow
Imagination Station
Bump in the Night
Peewee's Playhouse
Tales from the Crypt
The Magic Schoolbus
Dinosaurs

"I'm the baby. Gatta love me!" grin

#437255 - 11/10/10 01:16 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Genevieve Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Listening to assorted cheesy top forty pop music in my bedroom and sing and dancing to it. It was so embarrassing if someone caught a peak of me doing it.

#437258 - 11/10/10 02:06 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Zsche]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: Nibas
As a child - I remember spending a lot of time outdoors creating and acting out imaginary scenarios when the politics of the house became too much to bear. There’s nothing like exploring the absolute limits of your imagination to bring about a change in mood. I rode my bike, played in the mud, and climbed trees too.

Boy, that sounds familiar! smile

I don't really remember having the conscious need to "cheer up" as a kid. I was one of those head-in-the-clouds, day dreamer, space cadets though. I never had any trouble going somewhere else if I didn't like where I was. Usually I’d just read (Dragon Magic by Andre Norton just jumped into my brain but there were lots). Like you, sometimes it was necessary for Sis and I to leave the house. I remember stealing away to a remote corner of a neighbor’s backyard (in this case, “backyard” means 200 acre cow farm) where there was a secluded grove we called Terabithia (after the book). Going there was like walking through the wardrobe (lion, witch...) Quiet, shaded, unlike any of the surrounding area, pure magic. That’s really where I learned how to flex my imagination, how to be a world-builder.

Huh, I haven’t thought about that in, oh gosh, something like 20 years. Pretty neat. smile
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#437321 - 11/10/10 03:44 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Lara Offline

I used to pull down the blinds, close the door, put on a casette tape
with 2 Unlimited and just dance around as long as I had energy.
Enjoyed making my own choreography and moves.

One time, I didn't hear my older brother walk in on me and he watched
me dancing for a while before breaking out in laughter. I was probably
teased for two years after that, with him mimicking my moves. blush

Otherwise, headphones and a vinyl with the Beatles or Elvis did good.
Loved to sing along and just disappear into the music.
Good for me - learned English that way.

Edit: Added an awesome video from my dancy casette tape.

Edited by Lara (11/10/10 03:49 PM)

#437698 - 11/14/10 08:54 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Lamar Drummer]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Lamar Drummer
Nice to see a fan of the In Sorte Diaboli album. I honestly cannot see other peoples point about that album selling out or Dimmu Borgir losing their sound. Abrahadabra on the other hand is different.

ISD is probably my favourite album by DB. I don't think they've sold out. I think they are just evolving. I mean does anyone want to hear the exact same sound album after album? I don't. But Abrahadabra hasn't exactly impressed the Hell out of me. Mind you, all I've heard is Gateways. I have the CD on order and I'm seeing DB in concert on Friday so I'll reserve judgement until then.

@topic: My childhood wasn't stellar. I was raised in a house full of adults so I spent a lot of time alone. I read a lot, spent a lot of time at the part and in the library or my room reading and having some pretty dark fantasies. Made for a great imagination but not great social skills. crossbones

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#437766 - 11/15/10 11:23 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: ]
Indae Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I love Mister Ed!! Me and my mother and two sisters used to watch that on "Nick at Nite", along with Happy Days, and The Monkees. What a wonderful time! Thank you for posting that, I'd almost forgotten about it. Speaking of horses, did anyone else pretend like thier bike was a horse?? I loved doing that, almost as much as I loved playing out murder mysteries with my Barbies...ugh, to be young again!!

Edited by Indae (11/15/10 11:27 PM)

#437985 - 11/19/10 01:08 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Spelled Moon
Unregistered

When I was little child, I did not have time to be unhappy. smile

Animals, cartoons, music, dolls and red Mercedes with flywheel were keeping me busy.

While I am trying to remember which were the most important songs/cartoons to me, two immediately stood out of the crowd.

When I was attending kindergarten, I was learning German language, it was just very basic grammar and vocabulary that we were taught, but I still found it useful a little later. I was 7 years old, when the series Mila Superstar were running on RTL2 (German TV station) and I used to watch it very enthusiastically, two times a day. smile At 6am and 2pm, before and after school. I liked this cartoon so much that later, I was playing volleyball professionally for some years; it has inspired me greatly.
When I think of it and compare it with some recent cartoons, these older ones appear 'strangely' sweet.
I even like its lyrics, still:

Mila ist 12 Jahre alt
Und lebt im fernen Japan.
Kulleraugen, Pferdeschwanz,
der Kopf voll Fantasie.

Fruher war sie krank und blass,
doch das ist vorbei.
Heute ist sie ein Volley-As.
Und ein kleines Wunder, Wunder, Wunder.

Mila kann lachen wie die Sonne uber Fujiyama.
Mila kann machen, was sie will und was noch keiner sah.
Mila kann fliegen wie die Schwalben uber Fujiyama.
Mila kann siegen. Irgendwann ist sie ein Superstar.

Immer, immer am Ball.
Das Spiel ist nie voruber.
Immer, immer am Ball.
Sie schafft es immer wieder.
Immer, immer am Ball.
Sie schafft es immer wieder, sie.

Mila kann lachen wie die Sonne uber Fujiyama.
Mila kann machen, was sie will und was noch keiner sah.
Mila kann fliegen wie die Schwalben uber Fujiyama.
Mila kann siegen. Irgendwann ist sie ein Superstar.

And the song I very much liked at the same age and was listening to on MTV, sometime was even waiting for it (and it always arrived), was this. I have found that vid very funny and it captured my interest with every single scene in it, colors, music, dance... everything.

Ah well... smile

#438134 - 11/21/10 09:19 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: ]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

That's very interesting. You're one of the few people in the world who don't have much sadness as a child.

#438224 - 11/22/10 06:55 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Disembodied Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Loc: Tropichell paradise.
Hatebreed

#438234 - 11/22/10 09:00 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Disembodied]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Is it the band you're refering to?

I only heard about them.

What songs are good?

#438235 - 11/22/10 09:02 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Disembodied]
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
Back in your child years, what are some movies, music, or other means that lighten up your day whenever you are down for personal reasons?

Originally Posted By: Disembodied
Hatebreed

Interesting. "Hatebreed" as a child lightened up your day... So – since the band was basically unknown until 1996 (and then only in selective circles), I am curious as to what age you found their music to be uplifting?

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#438238 - 11/22/10 09:10 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Disembodied Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Loc: Tropichell paradise.
Yes, they are a band from New Haven, CT. I grew up in CT and followed them from 1999 (the year with backwards triple 6's) until now, though the music is no longer as good or original. I was 18 years old when I first saw them perform at a hole in the wall bar called Hanover House in Meriden, CT in January of 2000. The bar doesn't exist anymore, but the memory of that show and my first impression will always remain. I saw NFL sized men getting steamrolled in the moshpit and ever since that night have been a diehard fan. They are some pretty solid dudes, too. Some of my favorite tracks are Unloved, Burial for the Living, Confide in No One, Puritan, Severed, Final Prayer feat. Kerry King and a bunch more.

EDIT: Also check out Disembodied from Minneapolis. Whom my name is in reference too. They call themselves "Satan rock".

Edited by Disembodied (11/22/10 09:26 AM)

#438754 - 11/27/10 01:51 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Hm, books were my escape route from the torture of family life, in particular fantasy - which I'm still a big fan of - and horror, once I got over my dreadful squeamishness. I would bury myself in tales of the dragons of Pern, the earlier books in that series were my favourites and I still re-read them from time to time. I'm not so keen on the later offerings.
I wasn't into music as a child, or even much as a teenager, until I discovered Queen. I am still a huge fan to this day, and songs like "Save Me", "The Show Must Go On" and "Somebody To Love" will still move me, and I'm not even sure whether it would be to tears or to joy, it's a weird feeling.

#438827 - 11/28/10 06:35 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Maupassant's Offline

That's very interesting. You're one of the few people in the world who don't have much sadness as a child.

That's kind of over-the-top. Most people I know had rather happy, or at least content, childhoods. Even if they came from dysfunctional families.

It usually takes an introspective type of personality to experience adolescent unhappieness - and most people are not that way.

#438833 - 11/28/10 07:13 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Maupassant's]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Maybe "one of the few" was a little over-the-top. I was putting emphasis on general sadness regardless of any circumstances.

Thank you for putting that out there. smile

#438835 - 11/28/10 07:19 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Furrtiv]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Furrtiv
Hm, books were my escape route from the torture of family life, in particular fantasy - which I'm still a big fan of - and horror, ...

What was your fancy? Frankenstein or Dracula?

Vampires or Werewolves?

Regarding to fantasy, I prefered dragons also. The mention of dragons caused me to be reminded of Dragonheart.

#438891 - 11/29/10 03:02 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
womanking Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I always relied on my sister during down times. We used our imaginations to make up for the joy that our parents failed to offer.

As children, our mother and father fought on a daily basis. Our mother was an alcoholic, so I counted on my sister for support. During their fights we would elope to the backyard to role play. We improvised, acting out scenarios in which we longed for ourselves. Although there were bitter moments between my parents, I can honestly say my childhood was not miserable at all- in fact, I kind of miss it!

In the evenings, my sister and I enjoyed watching Nick-at-Nite. We loved Laverne and Shirley, the Brady Bunch and the Wonder Years. Saturday mornings we would tune in to Rugrats and Doug, and after school was Alex Mac, Clarissa Explains it All, and Are You Afraid of the Dark?

But of all the things I relied on to mask my sorrow, I believe my sister actually had the biggest impact on my mental health. She was the one who could always put a smile on my face. Even to this day, I credit her for picking me up out of the slumps.

In my later years, I took on a different approach when I was down and about.

I went through some pretty tumultuous times in high school- during that period I developed a liking to musical artists such as Fiona Apple, Mazzy Star, and Laura Marling- even Scarlett Johansson’s cover album (Tom Waits) has always been one of my favorites, quite deep and mysterious.

I used to spend hours with my headphones on during the days I ditched school. I closed my eyes, shed tears, and consumed myself with thoughts on a brighter future- this was before I was aware of the Satanic philosophy. It was almost like my own, miniature take on a Compassion Ritual. This sort of ritualistic behavior made me feel better in the end. My conscience would be cleared the next day, ready to tackle any future downfalls. Even now, I tend to reminisce to the very same music when I am feeling a bit sad.

#439022 - 12/01/10 10:45 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: womanking]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

That's very well written! I really appreciate what you have shared.

Your sister must be extremely close to you.

Speaking of role playing when you were a child, did you know about a role playing organization going on called NERO?

#439272 - 12/03/10 07:53 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
womanking Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Your sister must be extremely close to you.

Yes, naturally close... twins! It was quite a difficult task to go our separate ways after high school, though. We thrived on codependency for nearly twenty years- I'm not ashamed to admit that it is one of the toughest things I've had to do.

But now, having shattered that inseparable bond, we realize just how much more we have to offer each other.

Speaking of role playing when you were a child, did you know about a role playing organization going on called NERO?

I have never heard of this before now. I looked it up online, and it seems very interesting. It would be a positive way to utilize my (sometimes) child-like imagination!

#440171 - 12/13/10 01:45 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
CzechMate Offline

Loc: Oregon
When I need to cheer up, I usually pop in one of my favorite movies and that usually does the trick. Either that or I go for a walk in the outdoors. Living where I live, I'm about a 30 minute walk from one of the largest city parks in the middle of a city in the Pacific NW. Nature is the perfect catalyst for raising my mood, no matter how brooding I can sometimes be.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten -- George Carlin

Everyone learns faster on fire -- Alkaline Trio

#440172 - 12/13/10 01:54 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: CzechMate]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

What are among your favorite movies sir?

Some of my old favorite movies were:

• Bedknobs & Broomsticks
  • Merry Poppins
  • Hook
  • Robocop
  • Terminator

To name off the top of my head.

#440173 - 12/13/10 01:55 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
GoodMourning Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I basically do the same things now that I've been doing since my preteen and teen years. Writing, painting/drawing/playing with Photoshop, abusing my guitar, etc. Going further back into childhood... I couldn't tell ya. I don't remember a whole lot of that mess. laugh

#440174 - 12/13/10 01:59 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
CzechMate Offline

Loc: Oregon
I have so many that I enjoy but here are a few that stick out in my head:

The Crow
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The Addams Family
Pump Up the Volume
The Last Starfighter
The Incredibles
The Omen (original)
Iron Man
Wanted
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
The Shining (original)
The Spirit

....these are but a few....

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten -- George Carlin

Everyone learns faster on fire -- Alkaline Trio

#440256 - 12/14/10 12:34 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: CzechMate]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

You have good taste. smile

#444892 - 02/11/11 05:29 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Azeri Offline

CoS Member

I like the new sport I have been doing the last 15 months,the shutzhund sport. It is challenging, fun and rewarding for both me and my dog.

www.vampiretemple.com

#445180 - 02/15/11 12:37 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Hmm. I've never heard of the Shutzhund sport. What's the details of this new sport of yours?

#445187 - 02/15/11 01:18 PM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
Azeri Offline

CoS Member

The Schutzhund sport was started in Germany 100 years ago. Schutzhund is the German word for Protection Dog.There are three phases in the sport, tracking, obedience and protection.These are the three phases. The sport started as a test for police dogs, to test their service quality.Now it is more a sport. Also, it is a breeding guideline. the genes are either there or not, for, courage, built, temperment, mental stability ,agility, soundness and intelligence.Schutzhund is a very lenghty endeavor. not every dog is suitable for the sport.(nor are all humans suitable for the sport.) Although, the sport is fun, it is a serious business for dog and handler in competition. it takes dedication, patience and time to achieve the full benefit of the sport.

www.vampiretemple.com

#445439 - 02/18/11 10:51 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Azeri]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

That's very interesting!

Thank you for educating me on that.

I never knew Germany has a sport such as that.

#445520 - 02/19/11 09:23 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
LaVeyanAngel Offline

Loc: florida
i was very imaginative as a child. always daydreaiming, playing make believe, my living room was the moon most of the time. i would hide under chairs and pretend to be exploring the craters.

i would always be drawing, and i wrote a few books about my stuffed animals when i was really small. my mom had to help me write out the words though! my mom kept all those and recently gave them to me. it was fun to look at again.

as for movies, i was OBSESSED with "the never ending story". i swear i watched it every day. my parents taped it for me (back when vhs was all there was) and on that tape, there was also "the karate kid 2", and the ALF thanksgiving special LOL. so i watched all of those constantly.

lots of little things made me happy, and they still do.

#445566 - 02/20/11 12:04 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: LordofDarkness]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Loc: Florida
When this question is answered honestly, it is the best way to date a persons approximate age.
So, I'm game but I could cover the spectrum of childhood frivolity, from my first cognitive understanding to today. To save on time I won't do it, but I indulge in Saturday Morning cartoons to this day.

OK, My imagination was cultivated and projected in games of make believe with my Barbie's and My Little Ponies. My dad who I found out about at 8, bought me a Pony Palace. I never saw him, it just showed up and suddenly I had a dad I would never know.

When I was a pre-schooler, She-ra and He-man, Hanna Barbera, and late night USA "Up-All-Night" black and white horrors, Dracula w/ Bella Lugosi, Alfred Hickok, and The Twilight Zone. I got to watch them when I couldn't sleep.

The things that bring me the most joy as a kid are, Nickelodeon's Special Delivery, The Last Unicorn, The Never Ending Story, The 2nd Care Bare Movie, The Black Cauldron, Wuzzles, Snorks, Smurfs, Moon Dreamers, Rainbow Bright, Fraggle Rock, and Masterpiece Theater.

I also spent my time lost in the rows of books, escaping in to stories, before the invention of "home console video games systems" and the internet. Once the Nintendo was out I was hooked, but by then my mom had fallen from grace, so I didn't get much play time in. I spent a lot of time hiding at the library because it was free in more ways than one. It is where I discovered magic. When at home I start sleeping because I am a vivid dreamer. I liked dreaming, it's a lost art these days.

I don't know if 14 counts as being a child to you guys, but I certainly wasn't a kid anymore at that age. By then I was on my own, and had no time for childish things anymore.

To this day Library's and the real physical books with their dusty shelves and quite halls, whispering untold adventures from their beaten spines that truly holds the greatest magic for me. For me it is the concept of creation and how I came to understand my personal universe and world creation.

There is a place in Salem, MA I want to give props (proper respect) to because it has more magic than any library ever will for me. In the heart of the city lives a brilliant man who has read every story on his precariously stacked shelves. He is just a natural force of knowledge and that's power, like fucking Dumbledore he is. This place is humble, and small, with only one path down each row and back out the door. That is if no one has knock any thing over that day.

The books line the walls and frame the path, every nook and cranny, every surface, every window from floor to ceiling, these towers of books stand tall. Any thing in print like the libraries of Milos (form Lucifer's comic) can be found in these stacks. If the sheer expanse of information crammed in to this apparently small space doesn't empress, then the owner will.

Every book on the shelves needs no computer to be found, he knows where they all are, and the story each one tells, and it requires his magical touch to remove it from the walls of books the store is made from. It's like see the trick where the table cloth is pulled out from under the dishes. I swear he could do that trick too. He has a saying when they fall "I haven't broken one yet." Funny, though one wrong move and a person could be buried in an avalanche of books.

It's truly my favorite place in the world and it comes from the love of books as a child.

I have pictures if anyone wants to see them.
I just don't want to infringe on copy right rules. The pictures are mine and taken with permission, but this site has a no advertising rule, so I didn't want to just paste them up.
I can always set a link from the Undercroft, or PM them.

It's funny but if I was there I would be happy, but now I am just home sick.
I'mPerfecting

#445569 - 02/20/11 01:01 AM Re: Needing to cheer up? [Re: Maupassant's]
I'mPerfecting Offline

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Maupassant's

That's kind of over-the-top. Most people I know had rather happy, or at least content, childhoods. Even if they came from dysfunctional families.

It usually takes an introspective type of personality to experience adolescent unhappieness - and most people are not that way.

Please don't think I am picking on you, I am not.
If I wasn't so well adjusted I would be offend by your comment on introverts, because I am one.

I would also wager on the safe probability that about half the people here are, only because of the 50-50 option not a generalization.

1st. You have become the very thing you are responding against.
"It's kinda of over the top" for you to say "It usually takes an introspective type of personality to experience adolescent unhappieness - and most people are not that way"

2nd. This is a generalization. As is L.O.D.'s comment you quoted.
I am pretty certain neither of you know most people, and it's not really scientific to assume ether of you have done the experiments needed to make that kind of a judgement call.

3rd. Contradictory reversals of the argued phrase are not expectable sources of evidence to prove ones point.
By reversing the "bad childhood" for "the good one", then drawing a line to say only introverted people have unhappy child hood.

It's a falsies, and your point gets lost. Which I assume is, that most of the people you knew growing up were "outgoing" and had happy childhoods?

I am an introvert but my child hood wasn't unhappy, it had it's ups and down, like most childhoods. I also learned at a young age how to conform the world around me to fit me to make me happy. Most of the people I know had crappy childhoods but that had no bearing on their personality type (intro vs extroverted).

Two examples to think about are book worms, the person reading rather than socializing. They would be introverted, despite their family function or upbring.

And Hookers would be extroverted or outgoing, despite their family function or upbringing.

Also most children are unhappy based on social awkwardness as opposed to family function, though dysfunction doesn't help.
You should consider that perhaps the reason those that surrounded you had such good childhoods, is because they knew you, and you're such a good friend that your presence in their lives attributed to their better childhood. You were a good influence in their lives.

Just something to think about, please don't think I did this to be mean, it was not intended as such.

I'mPerfecting

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12283 Members
73 Forums
43883 Topics
404450 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements