Topic Options
#436563 - 10/29/10 05:29 PM Halloween!
TheAbysmal Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Peanuts is on the TV.

Charlie Brown, running to kick the football that surely will be pulled away.

Notes to the Great Pumpkin.

Hell... How many of you remember having a Snoopy Snowcone Machine?

I think me and my parents made all of 1 snow cone before that thing disappeared.

Last year, I reminisced about bad candy that get handed out at Halloween. If anyone can revive that thread, it was chock full of doozies many of us remember, and perhaps hand out.

This year, I am just reminiscing on what it was like to actually go Trick or Treating at NIGHT. None of that daylight-hours trick or treating bullshit.

How many of you remember what you first trick or treated as?

I was a "Cooky Spook", which was a cheap, inflatable, bigger-than-my-head monster head that I wore on my head. Mine was a green, carrot-nosed... Goblin? I don't know what the f*ck it was. But, it was Hallween, and I was getting candy in my Jack-o-lantern bucket.

What was your first Halloween like?

Do you remember?

Have you ever gone Trick or Treating?

Ever get a trick instead of a treat (excluding raisens)?

Happy Holiday!

P.S.,

All you "Smart [Internet] Shoppers" out there! Consider buying a something from Magister Frost's Evening Eclipse.

http://www.eveningeclipse.com

Treat yourself to something nice, and for the love of all that is good in this world...

Candy bars! No Raisens!

#436565 - 10/29/10 05:43 PM Re: Halloween! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Blk Prince Offline

Loc: Currently at large
Don't forget the fruit roll ups and bible tracks LOL. Happy Halloween Vitaeviternus..HS!

#436593 - 10/30/10 02:28 AM Re: Halloween! [Re: TheAbysmal]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Interesting to hear about your memories. I remember Peanuts and not understanding what all that was about, but I always felt sorry for him that "Den store græskarmand" as he was known in the Danish translation, never turned up.

Back when I was a kid we did not celebrate Halloween in this country. I was seen as an American holiday, and so it would be subjecting yourself to the "cultural imperialism" if you did (as a friend of mine who works in the special effects business recently said to me "we were obviously meant to be born in another country").

Lately it has turned around and is now celebrated with much gusto ... on the wrong day - merchants have found it more convenient to have Halloween be somewhere in the middle of October, which is when school is out and young consumers can celebrate with their parents smile

Interestingly we have our own "Alle sjæles dag", which is on November 2nd, which is not celebrated at all. I haven't been able to confirm it, but I was told that it was set up by Struensee, a courtier who would many reforms and bring the idea of enlightenment into our government, including a free press. As a Satanist I find it interesting how ancient tradition and modern enlightenment come together around this holiday.

This year I will celebrate with good food, while preparing for the day after, when I start working on my writing project where Lovecraftian horrors meet our local nanny state.

I wish all of you much enjoyment and indulgence :-)

#436596 - 10/30/10 02:52 AM Re: Halloween! [Re: verszou]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey
It turns out, by coincidence, that my daughter and I have semi-interesting Halloween plans. We're going to a jazz concert. In a local church, no less. Performing is Art Deco, Brookdale College's jazz trio. My daughter and I saw them last year and were very impressed.

Has anyone ranted yet about the stores advertising Christmas in October now? One aisle has goblins and another has reindeer. Yeesh. Sometimes I wish these two guys would kill each other.

Attachments
Versus 00.jpg

#436597 - 10/30/10 03:19 AM Re: Halloween! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Genevieve Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I do remember the days of trick or treating back when I was a kid and it was a blast, unlike how it is programmed today. For me I was so excited to see what mixed treats were in my bag. Now since I am an adult I will be handing out candy, but I will still be reminiscing.

#436606 - 10/30/10 04:29 AM Re: Halloween! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
What do I remember. I just remembered that those Peanuts specials always depressed the unholy hell out of me. The football? That Lucy was some kind of sick twist. But they're all like that; not really funny so much as It's A Cruel Fucking World, Charlie Brown. I'm serious, there is something deeply abysmally existentially depressing about that cartoon. I didn't understand it as a kid and I don't understand it as an adult. If I'm going to watch a cartoon, I'll stick with Jack Skellington. grin
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#436610 - 10/30/10 05:41 AM Re: Halloween! [Re: Shade]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Shade
What do I remember. I just remembered that those Peanuts specials always depressed the unholy hell out of me.

I very much agree. I did however recently find a version that I liked. Marvel did a kind of "Wolverine art appreciation" event, and for Wolverine: First class somebody did a version where they had substituted Wolverine for Charlie Brown and Kitty Pryde for Lucy. Their Clavin & Hobbes version of Wolverine was worth a few laughs too.

BUt when all is said and done, it was probably more about the surly Candian than the original strip smile

#436622 - 10/30/10 08:22 AM Re: Halloween! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Colonel Kurtz Offline
CoS Member

The Halloween that stands out the most had to be 1982. My parents carved what had to be 30+ pumpkins. We had two creepy California Oaks in our yard and all those Jack O' Lanterns. No kids came to our house. Leaving me with lots of candy!

#436778 - 10/31/10 08:43 PM Re: Halloween! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I recall the Snoopy snowcone machine. I didn't get one because my mother said that I'd just make a mess. She said the same about the Easy Bake oven.

I loved Halloween as a kid much to the chagrin of my severely Catholic parents who thought it was sacrilegious and the Devil's holiday. So I got dressed up in non-threatening costumes such as bunnies and princesses. And we always went out at night, never day.

I remember being Princess Leia my last year of trick or treating. I remember how all candy had to be thoroughly inspected by my mother for tampering, the she took "her cut" (any full size chocolate bars and whatever minis took her fancy)

I remember all the urban legends. The girl who got razor blades in her apple. The boy who got pins in his candy bar. Acid/poison in the Chubby drinks. Kids getting pulled into vans to be murdered or worse. Everyone swore that it happened to a friend of a friend.

I also remember good legends. Like the family who lived up the road who's father worked in a comic warehouse and brought comics home for his kids. They had so many that they had to give them away so at Halloween, the Mrs. would dress up as the Wicked Witch and hand out 3 comics bundled with a rubber band and a candy to each and every kid. (true story, everyone for kilometers around went to this house, it was on the 'must visit' list). And of course the convenience store that gave out cans of pop.

I still love Halloween though it has changed a lot for me. Sometimes there's a party, sometimes I hand out candy. Right now, it's slasher movies, a UFC fight and a bottle of something nice.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#436847 - 11/01/10 05:16 PM Re: Halloween! [Re: Lilibeta]
TheAbysmal Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Lilibeta
I recall the Snoopy snowcone machine. I didn't get one because my mother said that I'd just make a mess. She said the same about the Easy Bake oven.

I wanted an easy bake oven so much! F*ck, the kids on the commercials looked like they were having so much fun baking whatever it was. I was not allowed to touch a stove, an iron, or a knife for I don't even know how long. Haha.

Probably, jumping down a whole flight of stairs because I thought I could fly did not help matters, but I was a kid. smile

Quote:
I loved Halloween as a kid much to the chagrin of my severely Catholic parents who thought it was sacrilegious and the Devil's holiday. So I got dressed up in non-threatening costumes such as bunnies and princesses. And we always went out at night, never day.

As far as I can tell, despite my parents' religious persuasions, they were all about "Trick or Treating is fun for the kids." It was a good time.

You know... Monty Python came up with a threatening bunny.

When was the last time you went Trick or Treating, or to extend it in a more adult manner, a Halloween Party?

Quote:
I remember being Princess Leia my last year of trick or treating. I remember how all candy had to be thoroughly inspected by my mother for tampering, the she took "her cut" (any full size chocolate bars and whatever minis took her fancy)

I can see how you would make for a great Princess Leia.

She took all the full-size candy bars?!?

Phewww... Those are ALWAYS the ones with the razor blades in them.

Quote:
I remember all the urban legends. The girl who got razor blades in her apple. The boy who got pins in his candy bar. Acid/poison in the Chubby drinks. Kids getting pulled into vans to be murdered or worse. Everyone swore that it happened to a friend of a friend.

And, that is how they got the full-size candy bars.

Quote:
I also remember good legends. Like the family who lived up the road who's father worked in a comic warehouse and brought comics home for his kids. They had so many that they had to give them away so at Halloween, the Mrs. would dress up as the Wicked Witch and hand out 3 comics bundled with a rubber band and a candy to each and every kid. (true story, everyone for kilometers around went to this house, it was on the 'must visit' list). And of course the convenience store that gave out cans of pop.

Pop... Soda?

Ha! I have called it both.

I will never call it COKE though. (It's a Southern thing.)

Later in my childhood, one of the places that stood out was the Zombeck house. I cannot remember what they handed out for candy, but it did not matter. The Zombeck's decorated like it was the last Halloween that would ever be celebrated.

Witches, ghosts, zombies, mummies... They probably had monsters in their yard I had not thought of.

A bit kooky--the youngest son is well remembered for dressing up as Batman and leaping roofs in the McDonald province night. Hahaha!

Literally. Or, so I have been told.

Quote:
I still love Halloween though it has changed a lot for me. Sometimes there's a party, sometimes I hand out candy. Right now, it's slasher movies, a UFC fight and a bottle of something nice.

I love it, too!

I caught Shaun of the Dead this year, and knew better than to buy candy. They just don't come around this neighborhood.

I had a Casa Magna Colorado and some Crown Royal.

Not a bad mix.

Thanks for reminiscing with me, Lilibeta.

Forum Stats
13116 Members
73 Forums
44415 Topics
407284 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold