Topic Options
#436905 - 11/02/10 02:58 PM What does it mean to be poor in spirit
Lordrandom Offline

Loc: England
I was reading the Satanic Bible's equivalent of Surmon on the Mount (does it have a name btw?) and I came across the line

"Cursed are the poor in spirit, for they shall be spat upon!"

What does LaVey mean when he says poor in spirit?

#436906 - 11/02/10 03:39 PM Re: What does it mean to be poor in spirit [Re: Lordrandom]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Quote:
(does it have a name btw?)

What does it say at the top of page 30?

Quote:

What do YOU think it means?
Prevention of Virtue

#436912 - 11/02/10 04:15 PM Re: What does it mean to be poor in spirit [Re: LKRice]
Lordrandom Offline

Originally Posted By: LKRice
Quote:
(does it have a name btw?)

What does it say at the top of page 30?

Book of Satan, I thought that the invidual section I was referring to might have a specific name, like the surmon on the dismount or something

Originally Posted By: LKRice

Quote:

What do YOU think it means?

I have absolutely no idea, so I'm hoping someone wih more knowledge/experience in this area could tell me.

#436916 - 11/02/10 04:46 PM Re: What does it mean to be poor in spirit [Re: Lordrandom]
Schadenfreude-6 Offline

Loc: MB, Canada.
It's stuff from "Might is Right", look into that book.

As for your question...one could take "Poor in spirit" to mean weak willed, spineless, the kind of person who when faced with any kind of adversity will just give up in what ever they are doing or activity they are pursuing, basically everything a Satanist isn't. The ability to persevere through adversity and "hard times" is a benchmark of the Satanists personality and "spirit", IMO.

#436977 - 11/03/10 05:04 PM Re: What does it mean to be poor in spirit [Re: Lordrandom]
theTanman Offline

I agree with Schadenfreude. Although I also think it means those who are poor in the sense that have have little to live for, or deny the earthly pleasures we all know and love so to speak, and in spirit, as in someone who is spiritual and not concerned with living life to the fullest and oh so worried about some idea of "god" and getting into his "heaven" by following his strict rules of masochistic self-denial.

That's just me though,
Hail Satan.

#437827 - 11/16/10 02:48 PM Re: What does it mean to be poor in spirit [Re: Lordrandom]
Genevieve Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: Lordrandom
I was reading the Satanic Bible's equivalent of Surmon on the Mount (does it have a name btw?) and I came across the line

"Cursed are the poor in spirit, for they shall be spat upon!"

My personal definition of "poor in spirit" is one who sulks around constantly living day by day thinking life is not worth living. You can also define it too by one who thinks they are worthless, and gives up easily. This is what I think he means by being "poor in spirit."

#437829 - 11/16/10 03:14 PM Re: What does it mean to be poor in spirit [Re: Lordrandom]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

>> I'm hoping someone wih more knowledge/experience in this area could tell me.<<

To be poor in spirit means your drinks cabinet is empty.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#437850 - 11/16/10 07:34 PM Re: What does it mean to be poor in spirit [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Jessyka Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Rev_Strongbone

To be poor in spirit means your drinks cabinet is empty.

I'll drink to that.

Forum Stats
12155 Members
73 Forums
43918 Topics
405733 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements