Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#437873 - 11/17/10 07:39 AM Psychotic and Religious
Zsche Offline

Loc: Where the 5.56 casings fall...
To me – these two terms have identical meanings.

Recent news stories reflect exactly what I mean – especially when fanatics use “divine inspiration” or “signs from god” to dictate and justify their actions. Of course – these people are normally deemed insane and unworthy of standing trial for their crimes. Responsibility seems to be a foreign concept to most of these individuals as well as to the current legal system.

I find it funny that instead of “The Devil made me do it” that the more recent defense is “God told me to do it”… It’s about time the old geezer started taking some responsibility for the sick, twisted escapades of his followers. Ok – I’m attempting to be funny, but who is it that determines the line between spiritual enlightenment from a deity and a mental disorder? Does anyone else see these as the same? Aren’t all religious people psychotic?

psy•cho•sis
noun: fundamental derangement of the mind characterized by defective or lost contact with reality especially as evidenced by delusions, hallucinations, and disorganized speech and behavior

Originally Posted By: Hagen von Tronje
You can't guzzle whiskey and pinch pretty ladies' asses when you're dead.

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Originally Posted By: Callier
Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#437874 - 11/17/10 08:45 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: Nibas
Aren’t all religious people psychotic?

Ssssssatanism? wink

I get what your saying but it seems like kind of a slippery slope to make such a generalization. Who decides which beliefs (philosophy, ideology, etc) are legitimate and which are irrational? How can a society be founded on religious freedom on one hand and condemn religion on another?

Legally, I think there's more to determining a person's accountability than whether or not they are a fanatic. I think competency hearings are a little more complicated than that.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#437875 - 11/17/10 09:13 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
Lust Offline

I tend to think that anyone who subscribes to a spiritual religion or one that demands belief and or devotion to an unseen deity is in need of mental health at the very least. Take a look at how Christians view the biblical character, Abraham. They regard him as the father of faith. Why?

According to the tale in his and his wife's old age they had a Son named Isaac. He was named this because upon hearing that his wife was with child Abraham started laughing with great emotion. So his God then named the child Isaac, meaning "laughter". Isaac continued to bring laughter and joy to his parents according to the story and his God remained absent at that time.

Then, one day out of the blue Abraham is contacted by his absent God. His God demands that he take Isaac to a distant land and sacrifice him by burning him to death! Abraham agrees and takes his Son to the location and begins to perform the deed. At the last second his God tells him that he was just testing him and that he is pleased with him and Isaac is spared the flames. Insanity!

Fast forward to modern times and we see cases like those of Andrea Yates, Susan Smith, Deanna Laney and many more that can be quickly found by googling Susan Smith "god told me to do it". The only difference between these women and the biblical character Abraham, is that Abraham had some sanity left and decided against the murder. Each are insane and is why I think that each and every person who admits belief in a spiritual religion needs mental health treatment.

Now we Satanists are religious too. However, we have chose the carnal over the spiritual and we as our own Gods make pragmatic choices that better our lives while remaining grounded in the earth . Satanism is healthy and is a religion of truth and humanity and is far from Psychotic. Unlike the spiritual religions and child murdering Christians who look to their biblical characters for inspiration and then claim the Schlosser-Laney defense.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#437876 - 11/17/10 09:20 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Shade]
Zsche Offline

Originally Posted By: Shade

Ssssssatanism? wink

Heh heh – Point taken Shade. I always enjoy your responses and posts. I suppose I personally don’t see attempting to adhere to the philosophy laid down by Doktor LaVey as being religious – but perhaps I am mistaken. My opinion is those who adhere to religions with an external entity which directly communicates and dictates how they should live their lives are seriously deluded and have lost contact with reality. Maybe I’m the one who is psychotic?

I get what your saying but it seems like kind of a slippery slope to make such a generalization. Who decides which beliefs (philosophy, ideology, etc) are legitimate and which are irrational?

I think this is a personal decision that everyone makes. Someone in the government or judicial system must be making these determinations on a legal level for the rest of us. As stated before – I think anyone who claims to receive divine inspiration from a deity or claims to be in direct communication with such an entity is crazy.

How can a society be founded on religious freedom on one hand and condemn religion on another?

Indeed – but hasn’t this been done since this country was founded? Those in political power determine what is just and right for the rest of us.

Hail Satan!

Love life. Live life. Don't fuck with people unnecessarily. Don"t let other people fuck with you. Simple guidelines that that will help you to make informed, intelligent and Satanic decisions.

Constructive criticism is one thing but people that just point blank tell others what they should be doing with their lives without any kind of permission can eat a bag of hairy balls.

#437877 - 11/17/10 09:30 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Lust]
Zsche Offline

Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct
Each are insane and is why I think that each and every person who admits belief in a spiritual religion needs mental health treatment.

These are perfect examples explaining my point exactly. In today's world, just for mentioning the fact that he was thinking about sacrificing his child to a deity - Abraham would have his children taken away by social services and rightfully be placed in a mental institution where he would spend a considerable amount of time being heavily medicated and studied.

#437878 - 11/17/10 09:42 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
anna Offline

Loc: Poland
Quote:
Ok – I’m attempting to be funny, but who is it that determines the line between spiritual enlightenment from a deity and a mental disorder?

The court, the police, the psychiatrists. The answer is very simple. If they are competent enough, there shouldn't be any problems. Unfortunately, the people who are responsible for the security of the whole society, are often so biased, ignorant and superstitious that they easily give credit to whatever the criminals say. And they can say anything to avoid punishment.

Quote:
Recent news stories reflect exactly what I mean – especially when fanatics use “divine inspiration” or “signs from god” to dictate and justify their actions. Of course – these people are normally deemed insane and unworthy of standing trial for their crimes. Responsibility seems to be a foreign concept to most of these individuals as well as to the current legal system.

As I said they can lie to get away with their crimes. Being put in a mental hospital is a better option for a criminal than being put in prison. However some people really suffer from mental disorders and should be cured. Good psychiatrists can tell whether a person simulates an illness or he is really insane.

Quote:
Aren’t all religious people psychotic?

Only our views are right. We are the only ones who are wise, intelligent and sane. All those who think differently are: psychotic, stupid, irresponsible, idiotic and so on and so forth. This is what all the fanatics think, Muslims, Christians, Atheists, Jews, Pagans...

A citizen's thoughts, dreams and beliefs are not to be judged by the court. The important thing is whether a person obeys the law or not. If not, he/she should be punished, no matter if he/she serves God, the Devil or something in between.

#437880 - 11/17/10 09:58 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

(Thanks,smile)

Religion and politics are kind if inseparable. When one swears to tell the truth in court I think it's still done on a bible. Oath of office, pledge of allegiance... God's got his finger in a lot of pies.

And definitions of "crazy" change all the time. Sometimes it just means, "not like everyone else". It's a powerful indictment with a lot of potential repercussions, some of which are probably not immediately obvious.

Ag, I’m not very good at this. Hopefully, smarter, more articulate folks than I will reply to your topic.

One thing I have learned over the years though is the assertion that "this applies to everyone but me" (everyone's religion is crazy but mine) is usually a little too popular to be practical. Know what I mean, jelly bean? Nobody thinks they're the crazy one. Especially the crazy ones. grin
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

#437882 - 11/17/10 10:16 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
Zsche Offline

Originally Posted By: anna
However some people really suffer from mental disorders and should be cured.

This statement sums up my thoughts exactly when I asked the rhetorical question: “Aren’t all religious people psychotic?”

One thing I have learned over the years though is the assertion that "this applies to everyone but me" (everyone's religion is crazy but mine) is usually a little too popular to be practical. Know what I mean, jelly bean? Nobody thinks they're the crazy one. Especially the crazy ones. grin

Great response – especially the last two statements. I’ll try to keep this in mind. Thanks!

Hail Satan!

#437883 - 11/17/10 10:50 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Shade]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State

I get what your saying but it seems like kind of a slippery slope to make such a generalization. Who decides which beliefs (philosophy, ideology, etc) are legitimate and which are irrational? How can a society be founded on religious freedom on one hand and condemn religion on another?

Legally, I think there's more to determining a person's accountability than whether or not they are a fanatic. I think competency hearings are a little more complicated than that.

Yup. The implications and potential risks here are so great, and the lines so fuzzy, some people have actually refused to discuss this exact subject with me!

The sticky wicket is that people who appear to be more-or-less "sane"--that is, apparently free of any clearly diagnosable neurological or psychological disorder or deficit-- can still latch on to absolutely ridiculous beliefs, so where do you draw the line between "too ridiculous," and "just ridiculous enough?"

Of course, asking that kind of question requires you to at least wade into the murky waters that are value judgments, because what one person finds utterly beyond-the-pale batshit nutso, another may consider not so bad, and still another may think is totally reasonable. So, you can end up with a situation where Mike Huckabee and Osama bin Laden are each trying to have the other committed wink.

And, since MOST human beings are religious or theistic in some shape or form, it really doesn't help to declare that 90%+ human beings are "psychotic," because then psychosis loses all meaning and usefulness as a diagnostic term.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#437884 - 11/17/10 10:53 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
Dax9 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: near Baton Rouge, LA
Positively, I would argue that terrorists and suicide bombers who murder and wage havoc in the name of Allah (or whatever) in the hope of being rewarded with ninety-nine virgins in the afterlife are mentally insane. As for most Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, and others I would classify as being misguided or misinformed, being that the majority of these religionists live basically "normal" lives. More radical groups such as Jehovah's Witness members are either brainwashed or living their lives in reaction to guilt; I have known several "born again" Christians who are trying to compensate for things they feel remorse for from earlier in their life.

At the beginning of this deployment a Wiccan soldier told me about another brother in arms who practices astral projection. I became interested. After talking with him I discovered that he had a copy of Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce and was a pre-medical student back home at Tulane University -- a very intelligent guy. To my bewilderment and disgust he later told me that he was a devout Christian and regarded the Bible as a manual for how to live one's life. What the fuck? I thought he would have been an occult student. Once again, I would label him as misled but not stupid or psychotic.

They say that the definition of insanity is when one continues to do the same things over and over again yet always expects different results. By this reasoning I would propose that anyone who tirelessly accepts illogical religious tenets that never improve the quality of life as correct is probably mentally imbalanced.

As Satanists we always test things first and never accept anything on blind faith. If a religion's teachings cannot be directly tested and validated, it is probably unsound. (And this is putting it very politely! rip)

"Anyone without a sense of humor is too pretentious to be a good magician."
-- Anton Szandor LaVey

Life Everlasting

World Without End

#437899 - 11/17/10 12:35 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: TrojZyr]
Zsche Offline

Originally Posted By: TrojZyr
Yup. The implications and potential risks here are so great, and the lines so fuzzy, some people have actually refused to discuss this exact subject with me!

I am delighted to find that someone else has attempted to pursue this topic with others Witch TrojZyr. I am also grateful to have an environment where I receive intelligent responses to such a topic.

The sticky wicket is that people who appear to be more-or-less "sane"--that is, apparently free of any clearly diagnosable neurological or psychological disorder or deficit-- can still latch on to absolutely ridiculous beliefs, so where do you draw the line between "too ridiculous," and "just ridiculous enough?"

Wouldn’t “(latching) on to absolutely ridiculous beliefs” be considered a form of psychosis? - “defective or lost contact with reality especially as evidenced by delusions” smile

And, since MOST human beings are religious or theistic in some shape or form, it really doesn't help to declare that 90%+ human beings are "psychotic," because then psychosis loses all meaning and usefulness as a diagnostic term.

Perhaps the method of determining the diagnosis of psychosis needs to be modified to include anyone who subscribes to a belief system where they communicate with and take direction from a non-existent entity? Don’t get me wrong Witch TrojZyr – I’m not arguing with you, I just enjoy stimulating discussions.

I’ve personally witnessed people speaking in tongues, casting out demons, and claiming to have received direct communication from “god”, which to me equates to unrealistic delusions and auditory hallucinations, as well as disorganized speech and behavior.

I’m not saying that everyone is crazy – just 90%+ wink

#437901 - 11/17/10 12:45 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
anna Offline

Quote:
I’m not saying that everyone is crazy – just 90%+

And what's wrong with being crazy? whistle grin

#437902 - 11/17/10 12:57 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: anna]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: anna
Quote:
I’m not saying that everyone is crazy – just 90%+

And what's wrong with being crazy? whistle grin

Somehow, after watching how you continue to evade logical rational debate in several topics here on this site, I'm not really surprised to find you being an advocate of mental illness as a preferred state of mind.

At least that would account for the delusion you often express, about you being able to act on behalf of your deity in determining who is a proper member of your faith and who is not.

#437907 - 11/17/10 04:36 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: anna]
Zsche Offline

People who are crazier than me – scare me…

I posted this in another thread but it seems appropriate again here:

To quote Magus Gilmore from his book The Satanic Scriptures: "Reliance on fantastic constructs becomes dangerous when the believers in spiritual religions dogmatically insist that their personal or collective fantasies are real in the world at large, that they are the only absolute truth, and then wait for the myth to guide them or try to force others to share this delusion."

The next line in the chapter reads, “This has been the source for countless wars, as any student of history can see.”

THIS – in my opinion is one of the things that is wrong with being crazy.

#437912 - 11/17/10 05:18 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:
Wouldn’t “(latching) on to absolutely ridiculous beliefs” be considered a form of psychosis? - “defective or lost contact with reality especially as evidenced by delusions” smile

A form of delusion, certainly.

Now, psychosis is defined by hallucinations, delusions, disorganized speech ("word salad"), strange behavior, catatonia, disorientation, and/or rapid mood shifts. Certainly, someone can be deeply religious and psychotic--and, indeed, the two do often go together--but if all or most religious people were, say, full-blown Schizophrenic, we'd all be in deep trouble wink.

Now, whether some deeply religious people can experience brief psychotic episodes that quickly descend and just as quickly dissipate is another question. What do we do with people who go into trances and, say, start speaking in tongues, or engage in self-mutilation, or experience full-blown hallucinations? You could make a case for psychosis there, certainly--but then, in the greater scheme of things, that's a minority of religious folk.

Well, and getting back to your comment above, you also run into the problem of who gets to define what's "ridiculous," or who's "out of touch with reality." Everyone at Fox News will want to institutionalize everyone at Democracy Now, and vice versa! When setting up the diagnostic criteria, so to speak, you'd have to walk a very fine, delicate, clear line, and work very hard to prevent corruption or misinterpretation of the rules and standards.

Quote:
Perhaps the method of determining the diagnosis of psychosis needs to be modified to include anyone who subscribes to a belief system where they communicate with and take direction from a non-existent entity?

You'd have to be very, very clear about what it does and doesn't mean to communicate and take orders from a non-existent entity, though, or else the streets would run with the blood of shrinks and lawyers. wink

#437917 - 11/17/10 07:07 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: TrojZyr]
munt Offline

Loc: Land of viscosity
If I went to a psychiatrist and said that I feared an invisible man who watches me at all times, day and night and whom always knows what I'm thinking. I feel if he disapproves of my actions I will be punished for ever.
Will he say that I am suffering paranoic delusions or "that's OK, that's god"?.

#437918 - 11/17/10 07:18 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Lust]
Lamar Drummer Offline

Loc: Alabama
Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct
I tend to think that anyone who subscribes to a spiritual religion or one that demands belief and or devotion to an unseen deity is in need of mental health at the very least. Take a look at how Christians view the biblical character, Abraham. They regard him as the father of faith. Why?

According to the tale in his and his wife's old age they had a Son named Isaac. He was named this because upon hearing that his wife was with child Abraham started laughing with great emotion. So his God then named the child Isaac, meaning "laughter". Isaac continued to bring laughter and joy to his parents according to the story and his God remained absent at that time.

Then, one day out of the blue Abraham is contacted by his absent God. His God demands that he take Isaac to a distant land and sacrifice him by burning him to death! Abraham agrees and takes his Son to the location and begins to perform the deed. At the last second his God tells him that he was just testing him and that he is pleased with him and Isaac is spared the flames. Insanity!

Fast forward to modern times and we see cases like those of Andrea Yates, Susan Smith, Deanna Laney and many more that can be quickly found by googling Susan Smith "god told me to do it". The only difference between these women and the biblical character Abraham, is that Abraham had some sanity left and decided against the murder. Each are insane and is why I think that each and every person who admits belief in a spiritual religion needs mental health treatment.

Now we Satanists are religious too. However, we have chose the carnal over the spiritual and we as our own Gods make pragmatic choices that better our lives while remaining grounded in the earth . Satanism is healthy and is a religion of truth and humanity and is far from Psychotic. Unlike the spiritual religions and child murdering Christians who look to their biblical characters for inspiration and then claim the Schlosser-Laney defense.

But then when confronted with this where some person commits an insane act in the name God, they will fall back on "Oh, that person wasn't a real Christian and must have misinterpreted the scripture." Or pull the old trick of blaming the Devil.

Shit Lamar Says

#437919 - 11/17/10 07:29 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: munt]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Originally Posted By: munt
"that's OK, that's god"

No, no, no, that's not God, silly. That's Santa. grin

#437920 - 11/17/10 07:39 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
Lamar Drummer Offline

Come to think of it, say the world is 90% theistic or delusional, for the rest of us who are "sane" and place our "faith" in vital existance the world becomes a bit more cherishable to the life lovers. Kind of a shit filter if you will. Ramblings and such from the theistic become irrelevant. Stratification will play out and eradicate the weak, this is happening now with suicide bombers etc. I like to smile on this knowing the worthy will survive and cherish the remainder of this life.

Shit Lamar Says

#437921 - 11/17/10 07:52 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Lamar Drummer]
DamienMocata Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Linenopolis
Quote:
Stratification will play out and eradicate the weak, this is happening now with suicide bombers etc. I like to smile on this knowing the worthy will survive and cherish the remainder of this life.

So if those suicide bombers happen to kill someone worthy (which is a very subjective term), it's still stratification? Of course it's not, but it's the way you've worded it (and the way I'm reading it, which might not be how you've intended it, plus the fact that I'm used to a country with a lot of bombs going off in it)

A maniac (of any sort) with a way of killing you should usually be placated until you can get away from them or take them down. Someone with the power to kill you is mightier than you, and thus righter, until you can change that.

Not every cage is made of bars.
"The Humanoid form makes an excellent concentrated protein. " - Davros
"You are a collection of probability fields. " - Me.

#437926 - 11/17/10 10:59 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: munt]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

If I went to a psychiatrist and said that I feared an invisible man who watches me at all times, day and night and whom always knows what I'm thinking. I feel if he disapproves of my actions I will be punished for ever.

Oh, you can bet there's be a diagnosis, don't worry smile. I don't think any true professional worth their salt would dismiss that sort of thing out of hand. Now, whether they'd be willing to admit that it sounds an awful lot like what too many "normal" people already believe is another matter wink.

Now, the real problem is how to deal with that kind of person in the courtroom, because of the trickiness around the legal definition of "insanity," and how it actually varies from state to state.

#437928 - 11/18/10 12:57 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
ookiesoup Offline

Loc: N. Y. USA
If there was any validity to religion then whatever god existed would invariably show up, if for no other reason, to instruct us on various aspects on this or that. There would be a strong sense of realism and conviction to this deity, instead of which we are left with doubt, confusion as to what his message is, and why he lets things like birth defects happen. To have faith in and devotion to such a monster is clearly delusional! It all boils down to mind control. coopdevil coopdevil coopdevil

#437932 - 11/18/10 03:06 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: munt]
Machismo Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New Jersey

Nice one. Insightful. smile

So then the psychiatrist says, "You can't see him? Weird. I see him perfectly. I thought he was a friend of yours. Yo! You in the corner over there! Get the hell out of my office! What? Fuck me? No! Fuck you!" [Stands up. Walks briskly to a corner of the office.] "Get out! Now!" [Pantomimes a struggle, punching and kicking the air, rolling around the floor.] "Take this! And this! And this! Oh shit. Oh shit. I think I killed him. Shit. I killed him. He's dead."

Client: "Oh! He's dead! He's dead! I'm free! Free! Thank you doctor! Thank you!"

...so I ask, wouldn't this be a more logical theology to wrap around the Crucifixion? God dead, hell closed for good. Problem solved. Who instigated it? Why, who else? Hail him! coopdevil

#437953 - 11/18/10 02:21 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: munt]
anna Offline

Quote:

He will say that you suffer paranoic delusions that stem from your religious convictions. From clinical perspective there is no clear difference between belief and delusion. Psychiatry is science, religion is not.

However what is important to your doctor is how you cope with your everyday life, how you feel and if you have a contact with reality. Do your convictions help you or do they destroy you? Everything boils down to how you live.

For instance, I may think that my God will help me, loves me and so on, but if I work and fulfill my duties then I'm normal. But when I sit in my armchair, doing nothing and hoping that God will send me money from the sky then, certainly I am insane.

#437961 - 11/18/10 08:34 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: DamienMocata]
Lamar Drummer Offline

Originally Posted By: DamienMocata

So if those suicide bombers happen to kill someone worthy (which is a very subjective term), it's still stratification? Of course it's not, but it's the way you've worded it (and the way I'm reading it, which might not be how you've intended it, plus the fact that I'm used to a country with a lot of bombs going off in it)

A maniac (of any sort) with a way of killing you should usually be placated until you can get away from them or take them down. Someone with the power to kill you is mightier than you, and thus righter, until you can change that.

I didn't think that one through and rushed posting. I get what you are saying. I was thinking along the lines of the ones that kill themselves for religion are doing the rest of us a favor.

Edited by Lamar Drummer (11/18/10 08:34 PM)

Shit Lamar Says

#437962 - 11/18/10 08:40 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: ookiesoup]
Lamar Drummer Offline

Originally Posted By: ookiesoup
If there was any validity to religion then whatever god existed would invariably show up, if for no other reason, to instruct us on various aspects on this or that. There would be a strong sense of realism and conviction to this deity, instead of which we are left with doubt, confusion as to what his message is, and why he lets things like birth defects happen. To have faith in and devotion to such a monster is clearly delusional! It all boils down to mind control. coopdevil coopdevil coopdevil

I sincerely enjoyed reading the last part of this post. Religion is mind control and fear based. If I don't do this particular thing for this particular god then I am told I will burn in Hell. And people believe it.

Shit Lamar Says

#437964 - 11/18/10 10:02 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Shade]
RoyceDavis Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Ukiah, Ca. US

That's the problem, religion should have nothing to do with law or justice. There should be no one who decides what beliefs (etc...) are legitimate or rational. All should be treated as equal, and equally ignored by the 'justice system'. A society that truly has religious freedom is a society where religion is not a part of society, but a practice of each individual, and should not have any effect on anything outside that individual person.
It IS a slippery slope, and I can't wait to start sliding.

Edited by RollsRoyce (11/18/10 10:02 PM)
On Undercroft

#437970 - 11/19/10 01:36 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Shade]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:
Who decides which beliefs (philosophy, ideology, etc) are legitimate and which are irrational? How can a society be founded on religious freedom on one hand and condemn religion on another?

All very good questions.

Ultimately I have no problem with other religions/philosophies existing so long as they do not infringe upon the legal system or other people's liberties. When they do infringe upon such civil liberties that is when I think something should be done about them.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Unknown (11/19/10 01:37 AM)

#437971 - 11/19/10 03:21 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
XUL Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
Responsibility seems to be a foreign concept to most of these individuals as well as to the current legal system.

Reality itself is a foreign concept to a psychotic person, let alone the finer details of the social contract. It follows from this that it's unreasonable to hold a genuinely insane person responsible for his or her actions the same way you'd do with someone of a sound mind. All you can do is contain them somewhere so they won't reprsent any danger to anyone. So in this respect, letting religious people off the hook by declaring them insane isn't really a cool thing to do.

We may paraphrase Jesus and say "forgive them not, for they know what they're doing".

On the other hand, you could say that it isn't really all that respectable to be a psycho wannabe. One of the finest qualities of the human species is our creative imagination and the ability to believe in your own vision to such an extent that you recreate it in physicality. This is what produces art, architecture, inventions, everything. But this is also what produces most of that which is commonly referred to as evil. The key is this ability to believe and to place faith in something that is not (yet) real. Wisdom, in this respect, would then be to know your own limitations. I am not necessarily adverse to the idea that there might be some sort of metaphysical "force" which more or less equates to a monotheistic deity - but I think it a wee bit out of the human league to make statements on behalf of a proposed God which equals the entire universe and all that's in it, and at any rate you'd have to assume that such a being would express itself in a no-nonsense way and that whatever God commands isn't really up for discussion. It would assume the form of galaxies and nuclear meltdowns inside giant stars. It would, in short, be the laws of physics.

Imagining that an all-powerful God would be bothered with what you do with your little willie behind the closed doors of your own home is preposterous - and therein lies the madness of religion: God doesn't give a fuck. He made you what you are so that you can go out and live your life in this beautiful world of tragedy and madness, no so that you should ask stupid questions and in other ways be an ingrate about this gift of life... rather than simply live it as best you can... and celebrate each day as a source of joy which carries within it its own explanation, manifest in a mind and body that are yours to do with as you please.

Outdated as the concept might be, I'd rather describe the insanity of religious faith as a form of neurosis; something petty, something sick and twisted that disables you from enjoying the full experience of living a human life.

Edited by XUL (11/19/10 03:27 AM)

#437972 - 11/19/10 03:29 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: RoyceDavis]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair
Originally Posted By: RollsRoyce
All should be treated as equal, and equally ignored by the 'justice system'. A society that truly has religious freedom is a society where religion is not a part of society, but a practice of each individual, and should not have any effect on anything outside that individual person.

Originally Posted By: Unknown
Ultimately I have no problem with other religions/philosophies existing so long as they do not infringe upon the legal system or other people's liberties.

Unless I’m mistaken, what's being described here is almost the very definition of a “secular society”. smile

#437977 - 11/19/10 10:15 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Who decides which beliefs (philosophy, ideology, etc) are legitimate and which are irrational? How can a society be founded on religious freedom on one hand and condemn religion on another?

For my part, I happen to know a few religious people who aren't fanatics, don't profess to hear the voice of God, are friendly to non-believers, don't use Scripture to justify their actions to non-believers, are intelligent, polite and civil, and think critically about their own religious beliefs.

It's easy, and dangerous, to fall into the trap of saying, "If these people were really rational, if they really thought critically, they wouldn't believe the things they believe." The person who thinks that way is the unreasonable one; he rejects a person's viewpoint out of hand because he doesn't like the conclusion.

#437982 - 11/19/10 11:37 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: reprobate]
Zsche Offline

Originally Posted By: reprobate
For my part, I happen to know a few religious people who aren't fanatics, don't profess to hear the voice of God, are friendly to non-believers, don't use Scripture to justify their actions to non-believers, are intelligent, polite and civil, and think critically about their own religious beliefs.
It's easy, and dangerous, to fall into the trap of saying, "If these people were really rational, if they really thought critically, they wouldn't believe the things they believe." The person who thinks that way is the unreasonable one; he rejects a person's viewpoint out of hand because he doesn't like the conclusion.

Indeed Warlock Reprobate – I have yet to become acquainted with individuals like this. It must be interesting to know such people. Perhaps it is due to the area where I live and partially due to the select few people I choose to associate with on a social level… My generalizations are based on my own past experiences and dealings with the religious as well as things that I have personally witnessed.

I do see your point – that participating in huge generalizations and closed-mindedness could be viewed as herd mentality. I will try to keep this in mind. Thank you for your words of wisdom.

Hail Satan!

#437990 - 11/19/10 04:04 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
Quercuss Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
I feel it is important to remember that not all people are leaders. Leaders make up a small percentage of the populace. Most are followers, relying on the few leaders to provide them with the answers that make the unknown known and thereby allowing them to feel safe in a world full of scary unknowns.

So, once the scary unknown is known through whatever answers are given by the leaders, this provided and accepted paradigm is what is used to interpret all experiences of life. Including those experiences experienced by those accepting followers who may be suffering from delusional psychosis.

So, if they have accepted God to save them from their screwed up lives, their delusions will have a God based theme. If they have accepted that Barney the big purple dinosaur says that I love you and you love me and where one big happy family....then this will very likely be the background for their delusions.

I'm hopin' they go with Barney. I'd rather have a crazy stanger on the street hug me and tell me they love me, than shoot me in the head because I'm an unrepenting sinner!

#438007 - 11/19/10 08:17 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Quote:
I have yet to become acquainted with individuals like this. It must be interesting to know such people. Perhaps it is due to the area where I live and partially due to the select few people I choose to associate with on a social level…

Having been to NC, I can imagine that's probably a big factor. My condolences.

#438232 - 11/22/10 08:41 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: TrojZyr]
Indae Offline

Loc: Kentucky
Quote:

Of course, asking that kind of question requires you to at least wade into the murky waters that are value judgments, because what one person finds utterly beyond-the-pale batshit nutso, another may consider not so bad, and still another may think is totally reasonable.

I couldn't have said it better myself. For example, it is well known that to say your wife is your "little angel" is a figure of speech, but to a "Satanist" I know, he would correct you and say, "you mean little demon". Most would think he was being funny, but in reality, he's dead serious! I would say he's probably confused or even misled, but I wouldn't say he was insane. Now, in another instance, I grew up with a girl who's mother found out she was into the occult. The mother, being a religious nut, started tearing up the girls posters, throwing away "band shirts", breaking tapes, so on and so forth. She even went so far as to sprinkle holy water all over the girls room when she (my friend) was gone! In the end of all the madness, the mother kicked the girl out of the house!! Now, to me, that's nuts! To throw away your family over religion or a belief system is absolutely ridiculous! My point being, "Insanity is in the eye of the beholder". wink

Edited by Indae (11/22/10 08:45 AM)

#438240 - 11/22/10 09:17 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
Disembodied Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Loc: Tropichell paradise.
Religion has motivated people to kill other people for centuries. It's impressive.

#438242 - 11/22/10 09:30 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Disembodied]
LordofDarkness Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Tennessee, U.S.
Maybe not religion in general though. Think of Buddhism for example.

I never heard of a Buddhist holding an M60 and firing off a few rounds like Rambo. But I won't say there isn't any so called Buddhist who wouldn't be like his counterparts and disobey his religion's teachings.

Edited by LordofDarkness (11/22/10 09:32 AM)

"Any group or collective, large or small, is only a number of individuals. A group can have no rights other than the rights of its individual members." - Ayn Rand

"Laws are there for a reason. You may not agree with them but you gotta obey them. Nobody wants to be in court." - Sonic the Hedgehog

"Satanism is not a white light religion; it is a religion of the flesh, the mundane, the carnal - all of which are ruled by Satan, the personification of the Left Hand Path." - Magus LaVey

"Test Everything, Believe Nothing." -

#438243 - 11/22/10 09:41 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Shade]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

This is an interesting write-up on current trial, Brian David Mitchell.

Quote:
When it comes to determining competency vs. criminality, religious beliefs are sometimes central to the debate.

"One man's vision is another man's delusion. One person's cult is another person's spiritual path," said BJ Gallagher, a sociologist and author who lives in Los Angeles, California. "In cases where God's guidance is invoked, we need to proceed very carefully."

#438250 - 11/22/10 10:18 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Shade]
Zsche Offline

Absolutely Shade -

That's the exact article that prompted me to start this thread!

It was really the tip of the iceberg for me though - as there have been many recent stories of delusional individuals receiving “divine inspiration” instructing them to commit crimes.

A bumper sticker I once saw: “When God is on your side, you can never be wrong.”

This mentality appears to be prevalent in the general population where I reside - so I made the assumption that it is like this everywhere.

#438252 - 11/22/10 10:24 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Whoa, neat! We're on the same channel. smile

Reeeeally good book on the subject I've mentioned here before and can't recommend enough is Under The Banner of Heaven by Krakauer. Lots of thought-provoking stuff on Mormonism specifically and Faith (capital F) in general. I like this quote:

"Faith is the very antithesis of reason, injudiciousness a crucial component of spiritual devotion. And when religious fanaticism supplants ratiocination, all bets are suddenly off. Anything can happen. Absolutely anything. Common sense is no match for the voice of God... "

#438320 - 11/22/10 06:08 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
marinex69 Offline

Loc: Upstate NY, USA
Quote from Anna:
"Only our views are right. We are the only ones who are wise, intelligent and sane. All those who think differently are: psychotic, stupid, irresponsible, idiotic and so on and so forth. This is what all the fanatics think, Muslims, Christians, Atheists, Jews, Pagans..."

Can a CoS Magister, Warlock, Witch, or a Reverend advise me on the addition of Atheists to this quote. By definition(1972 dictionary), atheist is "one who denies the existence of a God." I am beginning my journey as a Satanist, thanks to enlightenment by a friend from my service years. As an atheist who Hails Satan and Self; I am disquieted a bit. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. HS

#438334 - 11/23/10 12:23 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: marinex69]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: marinex69

Can a CoS Magister, Warlock, Witch, or a Reverend advise me on the addition of Atheists to this quote. By definition(1972 dictionary), atheist is "one who denies the existence of a God." I am beginning my journey as a Satanist, thanks to enlightenment by a friend from my service years. As an atheist who Hails Satan and Self; I am disquieted a bit. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. HS

I am not in any of the groups you requested, but my two cents - Anna is not a Satanist, she is skilled in selective reasoning and making claims that she cannot back with facts. Her definitions change with whatever is most convenient to the argument she is making at that particular point in time.

So you will not learn anything worthwhile about Satanism there.

#438335 - 11/23/10 12:56 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: verszou]
marinex69 Offline

Loc: Upstate NY, USA
Thank you for your feedback verszou. HS!

#438354 - 11/23/10 07:40 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
psy•cho•sis
noun: fundamental derangement of the mind characterized by defective or lost contact with reality especially as evidenced by delusions, hallucinations, and disorganized speech and behavior

Religious: " relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity <a religious person> <religious attitudes>". A psychotic has lost touch with reality. A religious person is attempting to understand reality. While some religious people may be wrong, being wrong is not a psychosis. If it were, we would all be nusts from time to time. Some years ago, I may have agreed with you; but, the need to demonize those unable to accept the obvious conclusions of critical thinking has been replaced by an urge to simply ignore them. That makes them go away faster.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#438361 - 11/23/10 10:07 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Zsche Offline

Some years ago, I may have agreed with you; but, the need to demonize those unable to accept the obvious conclusions of critical thinking has been replaced by an urge to simply ignore them. That makes them go away faster.

Thank you for your input Roho. I am the first to admit there is always more to learn. I have attempted to practice disregard for these types, and at times it is sufficient. I find it difficult with the in-your-face types who make the assumption that everyone shares the same views they have – especially when it involves my children.

I loathe proselytism. At times it has invoked an in-your-face response from me. This has proved to serve me well in certain situations – but has also proved to alienate. Perhaps I’m not being patient enough with my ignoring? Thank you for the food for thought.

Hail Satan!

Edited by Nibas (11/23/10 12:43 PM)
Edit Reason: Corrected past participle of "prove".

#438365 - 11/23/10 11:21 AM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Some years ago, I may have agreed with you; but, the need to demonize those unable to accept the obvious conclusions of critical thinking has been replaced by an urge to simply ignore them. That makes them go away faster.

Thank you for your input Roho. I am the first to admit there is always more to learn. I have attempted to practice disregard for these types, and at times it is sufficient. I find it difficult with the in-your-face types who make the assumption that everyone shares the same views they have – especially when it involves my children.

I loathe proselytism. At times it has invoked an in-your-face response from me. This has proven to serve me well in certain situations – but has also proven to alienate. Perhaps I’m not being patient enough with my ignoring? Thank you for the food for thought.

Hail Satan!

Well...there are probably two types we all face when it comes to radically different ways of living one's life. There are the ass holes who always have to be right, but seem to lack any real conviction, because they aren't comfortable when anyone disagrees with them. These are the loud, obnoxious bores.

Then there are the concerned family members. As big a pain in the ass they can be, they are just that...concerned family members. They often have genuine anxiety about the well being of their son, or daughter, or other family member. Some people seem to go through a phase when they feel they are not keeping it real if they are not confrontational. It's been said on this forum many times...Satanism does not demand martyrdom. Martydom takes many forms. Cutting yourself off from the built in support of family can be one of them.

Like pretty much everybody else, I have some messed up shit happen in my life. Some of it is really scary. So, if someone tells me they are praying for me, I thank them for their concern. When I am told I really need God now, I agree with them. I do...I need Myself. Our filters can help us understand what people are really saying, even if they do not realize it. I can walk away glad that I have the...whatever...that causes me to take responsibilty for my own life, and keep important ties to boot. And there will ALWAYS be things we do not agree on...as in ANY real relationship.

This is, of course, only my opinion based on what has worked for me. Results for others will vary. Do not use this advice if you are prgnant, may become pregnant, or unsure if prgnancy will result from your last alien probe.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#438372 - 11/23/10 12:12 PM Re: Psychotic and Religious [Re: Zsche]
Genevieve Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

I loathe proselytism. At times it has invoked an in-your-face response from me. This has proven to serve me well in certain situations – but has also proven to alienate. Perhaps I’m not being patient enough with my ignoring? Thank you for the food for thought.

Hail Satan!

My response to the situation is more annoyed and go away. This is especially the case when the bible thumpers come to your door to solicit their holier then thou views with their little pamphlets in hand. As for proselytism it is a cancer that needs to be eradicated.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12154 Members
73 Forums
43917 Topics
405731 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements