Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43794 - 06/08/04 06:08 PM What if Christianity Never Existed?
Mars Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Mid-Atlantic USA
I watched a National Geographic on the Mayans. They were remarkably advanced for being ancient. Then came the Spanish with their “Christian love” and in less than 50 years wiped them out. Imagine if DaVinci and the other Renaissance greats could have invented uninhibited and unhampered by the Church. Christianity has held back mankind from day one (and continues to try). So the question is: What do you think the world would be like today if Christianity (and other oppressive religions) never existed?

Awaken the Dragon Within!

#43795 - 06/08/04 06:56 PM Re: What if Christianity Never Existed? [Re: Mars]
Wonka Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The City of Red Lights
Quote:

What do you think the world would be like today if Christianity (and other oppressive religions) never existed?

There would be a mass suicide, lack of man power, and major stagnation. More importantly, I would be shitting gold and pigs would fly.

Work with what you've got, it's probably there for a reason.

#43796 - 06/08/04 07:19 PM Re: What if Christianity Never Existed? [Re: Wonka]
Knocko Offline

Loc: Michigan - Troll Country
These few words, Spirus, deserve a " 'Nuff said! "
"When the long winter nights come on and the wolves follow their meat into the lower valleys, he may be seen running at the head of the pack through the pale moonlight or glimmering borealis, leaping gigantic above his fellows, his great throat a-bellow as he sings a song of the younger world, which is the song of the pack. "Old longings nomadic leap, Chafing at custom's chain: Again from its brumal sleep Wakens the ferine strain."" -Jack London, The Call of the Wild

#43797 - 06/08/04 07:30 PM Re: What if Christianity Never Existed? [Re: Mars]
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Something else would have arisen to fill a similar role. Case in point - Media. Media is already filling the role christianity once did. As believers in the sky man wane, believers in MTV flourish.
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#43798 - 06/08/04 07:38 PM Re: What if Christianity Never Existed? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

From an older post I made in a slightly different context.
Adjust your set accordingly, this is a response to a post made by Felstorm.
Relevant point in bold, the rest included for some context.

http://www.satannet.com/lttd/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=202037&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

<snip>

Superficially, I'd say that it's simply in nature's eternal heirarchical order that most people be born to be sheep, (this is an implicit corollary to the dogma of the "born Satanist"), and it is in the nature of sheep to be afraid, and that this fear will always create the need for religions, and the clever and exploitive will oblige that need.

<snip>

IE - if Jesus had died from smallpox as a child, and no-one ever heard of him after that, then we'd still have had civilization held back for the last 1000 years by our worship of some Azerbaijani plumber whose Dad jacked off into a wishing well... you see? And if not him, then some freaking other freak from somewhere else. The vacuum of fear must get filled. Islam only exists because Jeebus didn't get there first, geographically. It's a competition between the most effective viruses...

<snip>

Edited by Daark (06/08/04 07:41 PM)

#43799 - 06/08/04 07:46 PM Re: What if Christianity Never Existed? [Re: Quaark]
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Interesting.
It really is a logicaly derived conclusion, so two astute minds ariving at the same place on this one isn't much of a shock.

HS

Edited by Dan_Dread (06/08/04 07:47 PM)
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#43800 - 06/08/04 07:55 PM Re: What if Christianity Never Existed? [Re: Mars]
Silence Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 29 Palms, CA
I remember a quote, origin unknown:

"If it wasn't for Christianity[and other spiritual religions, for that matter], mankind would have been walking on the moon in 1492."

...but that is what we would call "fiction."

#43801 - 06/08/04 08:29 PM Re: What if Christianity Never Existed? [Re: Mars]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
Quote:

I watched a National Geographic on the Mayans. They were remarkably advanced for being ancient. Then came the Spanish with their “Christian love” and in less than 50 years wiped them out.

I offer that some 2 million Mayan Indians still reside in northern Yucatan as well as highland Guatemala...they weren't 'wiped out', but their civilization did come to a halt.

The reason the Spanish were able to accomplish this was largely due to the fact that the Maya were just as religious as their 'conquerors'.

Religion and belief were as intergrated into the everyday lives of the Maya as they were for the Spanish.

It took little effort to imbue Quetzalcoatl with christ-like qualities, and, thereby convert these 'heathens' to Roman Catholicism.

This very fatal flaw was even more so disastrous for the Aztecs---who believed Cortes was Quetzalcoatl returned.

Religion is merely a symptom of man's need for permanence and, as other's have already stated, if it wasn't christianity...rest assured the position would have still been filled.

#43802 - 06/09/04 12:44 PM Re: What if Christianity Never Existed? [Re: Mars]
Robin Offline

Loc: Cambridgeshire, England, Brit...
I think if Christianity and other opressive religions didn't exist then their wouldn't be many people around. After all, religions don't actually exist in the form of their own identity , you can't touch them or speak to them. A religion's existance is through it's followers. So, take away the oppressive religion and it just means whoever was part of it no longer exists.

So much elaboration can be made on the thought of this hypothetical world without religion that I doubt it could all be succesfully written on this forum. This is good for intelligent banter but ultimately my energies will be spent on reality and the world that I live in.

Edited by Robin (06/28/04 09:21 PM)

#43803 - 06/09/04 05:42 PM Re: What if Christianity Never Existed? [Re: Robin]
Nogitsune Offline

Loc: N. Region of the W. World
Quote:

think if Christianity and other oppressive religions didn't exist then their wouldn't be many people around. After all, religions don't actually exist in the form of their own identity , you can't touch them or speak to them. A religion's existence is through it's followers. So, take away the oppressive religion and it just means whoever was part of it no longer exists.

Hmm... That is an interesting way to look at it...
However, if that were the case WE might cease
to exist as well...

Quote:

So, take away the oppressive religion and it just means whoever was part of it no longer exists.

The word satan has been used by some of the oppressive religions...
Therefor, wouldn't anyone else who uses that word disappear
because that word can be considered 'part of'
said oppressive religion?

Simply food for thought...

Edited by Nogitsune (06/09/04 05:43 PM)
Within the eye of the storm of conformity, creativity runs rampant. The key then, is to surround yourself with the shaven fools if one is to truly be free. -Nogi The death rate on Earth is: .... (computing) .... One per person.

#43804 - 06/09/04 06:28 PM Crowded. [Re: Mars]
calgarysatanic Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta Canada
Good evening,

If Christianity did not exist we would be too crowded.

This planet has an over population problem as it is.

It would have been a lot worse were it not for the actions of those "acting on behalf of the church".

-Percy Spencer

#43805 - 06/09/04 07:58 PM What's in a name? [Re: Mars]
Swordsman Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
I'm sure someone would have thought up an equally effective method of keeping the peasants in line.

The Mayans were not destroyed in the name of a God, they were destroyed in the name of greed.

There will always be those who wish to keep things exactly the way they are, halting any progress, and whilst Christians are certainly good at it, they are certainly not the only ones.
'Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity' - Bullet Tooth Tony 'when I die, I will instruct the undertakers to put a bell on my tombstone, just so I can have the pleasure of not getting up when people ring' - Dr. Mossy Lawn

#43806 - 06/09/04 09:05 PM Re: What if Christianity Never Existed? [Re: Mars]
Ringu Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany, Earth
Ah and what then?
Everything would be different, of course.
Friedrich Nietzsche would never had been the one he was.
Anton Szandor LaVey maybe would never had found the CoS.
And satanism wouldnt be existing as it exist now.
Its a irellevant question. - the right-handed-path had its purposes and if i would have a time machine i wouldnt wipe them out. I would rather be interested in changing the future. Dont think so deep about the past, you will never get an answer.

#43807 - 06/11/04 06:18 AM Re: What if Christianity Never Existed? [Re: Mars]
carnal_core Offline

Loc: Oregon
Christians are here for the sole purpose of making us laugh. I agree with Dan_Dread that if Xianity never existed than something similar would've been made up. But their purpose would be also to make us laugh.
What if this... What if that... It's a game, you know. Kindergarteners and first graders would play similar games at school. The teacher would say, "Today, class, we're going to play a game. It's called the What If Game. What if the world were Candyland Lane in," some popular kids movie. A girl would raise her hand and say, "I'd have a million puppies!" A boy would say, "Succors everywhere!" Some smart-ass kid, though pretty intelligent for his age, would raise his and and say, "I would kiss all the girls." Suddenly you would hear a quire of children saying, "Eewwwwwww! That's Gross!" These 'What ifs' are games with literally endless posibilities. A couple of possibilities for ex. You wouldn't've written this post. This website might not even exist.
Now try this. What if Satanists never existed? Noooooooo! World peace! People holding hands! Pot smoking everywhere! Hippies sitting in circles singing Koombuyaaaa My Lord! Homeless junkies and gutter punks are on the thrive and are actually being loved! THE PRESIDEDNT IN PINK! EEK! Just kidding.
It's a game. That's my say.

#43808 - 06/11/04 09:31 AM Re: What if Christianity Never Existed? [Re: Mars]
Louania Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
If Christianity never existed, all of the other religions probably wouldn't exist either. Christians are such hypocrites and they're SOOOO funny, but if they're wasn't christianity, some people wouldn't know where to turn in fear of turning over to the dark side. Without their guildlines of Christianity, there would probably be more crime and suicide because those people would think there was nothing to worry about or be afraid of because they wouldn't know of a heaven or hell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics
406058 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements