Topic Options
#409700 - 01/22/10 12:19 AM The Devil's Soapbox
Delta Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Nar
This is a feisty little book, and one curiously named. It's as far from a soapbox rant as I can imagine. When I think of a soapbox preacher I think of disjointed, absurd and wrong bullshit. "Devil's Soapbox" is none of those. It's just a straight, clear, strong-minded collection of essays. The only thing it shares with a soapbox rant is passion.

It certainly has more character than any given street preacher, even more than I'd expect from a legitimate Satanist expounding his views. You get a real sense of who Madden is, more than I've gotten from his posts here or expected to get from his essays. He has a real voice and something personal to say with it. And what he says is not what I expected either. Though he covers the usual suspects of Satanic philosophy from his own angle, he adds some new ones that have, and this is the highest compliment I can give a book, never been written about before.

The centerpiece of the book is two chapters on the similarity of the Dark Side (Sith) of the force and Satanism. It sounds funny and Madden isn't oblivious to the nature of a Star Wars essay- But he's right about it all and it's friggin' deep stuff when you think about it. I am very impressed with the extended universe Star Wars writers and have to wonder if they used the SB as a starting point for the nature of the "Dark Side" we've heard so much about. But Madden doesn't just give you the topical similarities and some clever Sith quotes- He puts it into real world practical application. One can muse about the "Matrix and Philosophy" all they please but they're not gonna tell you how to get ahead in the world with it, only some bullshit about a spoon and how it doesn't exist. Not very Satanic, we all know there is a spoon and you can eat yogurt with it, fucking Buddhists... Anyhow, Madden surpasses the blurry realm of ideas and confronts us with that rare mingling of thought and action that we Satanists so crave to find in literature. The book is worth its price for these chapters alone.

If you need to justify shipping costs you can take your pick from a synopsis of the Yezidi learned firsthand in Iraq, a brilliant analysis of modern military culture and training (also firsthand, and it SHOWS) and the problems arising in both, or chapters on subjects ranging from martial arts to Wiccan rituals to a fun and scathing "If I were President" batch of concepts. And there's much more, even Boobs!

The book also has a subtle merit that I just adore- It's a Satanic Lulu book with ads in the back, notes by LttD regulars and some familiar names (mine) in the dedication. That won't add a cent for a bookstore deal but it means everything to me. These are my friends, this book comes from here. Catcher in the Rye will never be able to claim that.

HAIL FREDERICK MADDEN!
(And read his book)

#409705 - 01/22/10 12:30 AM Re: The Devil's Soapbox [Re: Delta]
NapalmNick Offline
CoS Member

For my initial impression of the book, you'll have to buy it and read the afterword. Sorry, lulu only lets you preview so much. wink

But I fully agree with everything Delta has said; furthermore, I cannot tell you how incredibly honored (and surprised) I was when Frederick asked me to contribute to it.

Originally Posted By: Delta
The book also has a subtle merit that I just adore- It's a Satanic Lulu book with ads in the back, notes by LttD regulars and some familiar names (mine) in the dedication. That won't add a cent for a bookstore deal but it means everything to me. These are my friends, this book comes from here. Catcher in the Rye will never be able to claim that.

This is also my feeling. I can't help but have this immense pride when I hold it in my hands. It's not just from someone who happens to share a lot of my viewpoints, it's from someone I have the distinguished honor to call my friend. Someone I've actually had meaningful conversations with.

And the greatest feeling of all is knowing that there's a whole lot more where The Devil's Soapbox came from. wink

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house." --George Carlin, Playin' With Your Head

"[There is] no contradiction between saying 'evolution has no purpose' and 'organisms have purposes'; just different vocabularies for different levels of description." --Sean Carroll

#409955 - 01/24/10 07:40 AM Re: The Devil's Soapbox [Re: NapalmNick]
John Prophet Offline

CoS Member

Loc: My suburban lair

I was honored that Frederick trusted me enough to allow me to act as the editor for The Devilís Soapbox, and it served as a valuable learning experience. It was both my privilege and obligation to read over each essay multiple times and I found many of them to be quite enjoyable.

One thing that really impressed me was the wide variety of subjects that his essays covered. Frederick has a lot of interests and insights into many different topics and, as Delta mentioned above, things that you may not expect to find in a book of Satanic essays. You must also appreciate Frederickís extremely blunt and unapologetic perspective, which you're not likely to find very often in today's all too politically correct world. This makes for a very refreshing read.

The book also has some pretty snazzy cover art as well. wink

You can purchase The Devilís Soapbox at: http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/the-devils-soapbox/8144075

#410972 - 02/01/10 10:50 PM Re: The Devil's Soapbox [Re: NapalmNick]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

Thank you, Delta, for that fantastic and excellent review. And Nick, I thank you as well for writing the Afterword and for the compliments.

If anyone hasn't purchased it yet, my book can be found at: http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/the-devils-soapbox/8144075

#410995 - 02/02/10 07:50 AM Re: The Devil's Soapbox [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Talon Pierce Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Colorado
I enjoyed the read and look forward to Mr. SLE's next work.

The perception essay landed on the green. laugh

HS HT BNTE

FTP

#411106 - 02/03/10 03:32 PM Re: The Devil's Soapbox [Re: Talon Pierce]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

John: It really was an honor working with you on this project, and I appreciate the support.

Talon Pierce: Thank you, I am happy you enjoyed but, I thought the green was blue, my bad.

#413113 - 02/18/10 11:41 PM Re: The Devil's Soapbox [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Unearthlyevil Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
The Devil's Soapbox...upon opening the box from lulu.com, my first thought was "hmmmm this book is suspiciously thin" then I started reading it! The Devil's Soapbox is with out a doubt one of the most enjoyable, thought provoking books I have had the pleasure of reading.

Raise your horns high and salute Frederick on a fine creation!

#413188 - 02/19/10 09:55 AM Re: The Devil's Soapbox [Re: Delta]
G.F.V. Offline
CoS Member

Loc: NYC
"The Devil's Soapbox", by Frederick Madden

The debut book by Citizen Frederick Madden (aka. SomethingLikEvil) offers a collection of writings related to his own Satanic perspective. It covers his experiences as an Iraqi War Veteran, martial arts and his own styles of self-defense, his poetic offerings that paint a Lovecraftian picture of the natural world, as well some fiendishly delicious diatribes related to pseudo-Satanists, crybabies in many areas of life, perception and misconceptions of paranormal activity.

What I personally liked about the book is that it doesn't feature a slew of impossible vocabulary words smashed together to make the reader think he's reading something "esoteric" or "mystical". Nor does it beat a dead horse on topics that have already been covered in other works depicting the Satanic philosophy. Many of the writings are short, but each one delivers it's point effectively and doesn't pull any punches.

Included is an introduction by The Degenerate (aka Phosis), as well as an outro by NapalmNick that also paint a vivid picture of the author upon the soapbox.

I recommend this read to anyone in tune with the Satanic philosophy. Not recommended for the faint of heart, the crybaby, or those who are afraid to look at women's breasts.

\m/ Horns up! \m/

#413434 - 02/21/10 02:32 PM Re: The Devil's Soapbox [Re: Delta]
Prometheus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
Review: The Devil's Soapbox by Frederik Madden

The Devil's Soapbox by Frederik Madden came as a wonderful treat penned by this quick-witted man of action who gives Satanism one more exceptional face. And it the face of a dark gentleman who has seen many of the less travelled venues of this world first hand, be it allegedly haunted locations in the states, encounters with the Yezidi or the combat zones of Iraq. What has deeply impressed me is his target-oriented and determined manner in which he goes about his projects and have learned to deem highly of him as a result of correspondence via Magister Ventrue's Undercroft. Just shortly after I had conversed with him concerning a variety of subjects including the idea to write The Devil's Soapbox, his book was completed. And although, I had the pleasure to catch a glimpse of some of Frederik's essays beforehand, his work came as a true treasure box that holds many more precious pearls in store. The Devil's Soapbox has it all, a refreshing portion of humor and sarcasm, philosophical thoughtfulness that is presented in straight-forward way and highly practical suggestions. His conclusions are dead-on and he uses the written word in a merciless manner to push the waste portions of the human species back into their place. No doubt that if Frederik were in the lead of the political administration, a number of pressing issues would be resolved and society's criminal leeches would face their well-deserved fate.

May the power be with him and his projects!

HAIL SATAN!

Prometheus

#413853 - 02/25/10 03:58 PM Re: The Devil's Soapbox [Re: Prometheus]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

Thank you all so very, very much for the thoughtful and generous reviews.

#414993 - 03/07/10 04:09 AM Re: The Devil's Soapbox [Re: Delta]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Yes, the problem we face with books of this nature is that for the most part an author is "preaching to the choir."

So we have to look for a personal perspective within the writing itself. And I feel Mr. Madden does bring that to the table in this offering of essays.

The stance Madden takes will not be at all palatable to most audiences. But I do not get the impression he was writing with a wider audience in mind.

Madden is rather judge, jury and executioner here; dragging those he charges before a kangaroo court of his own appointment.

It is an aggressive and unapologetic onslaught.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#416559 - 03/21/10 05:59 PM Re: The Devil's Soapbox [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

Thank you Reverend for the review. It is rather difficult to come up with things to write about, especially since every aspect of Satanism has been covered. The best one can do is bring their own perspective/application to the table, which is what I attempted to do. The personal perspective that you mentioned.

#430602 - 08/30/10 05:37 PM Re: The Devil's Soapbox [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Ferocious Beast Offline

Loc: California

"Lulu Marketplace We're sorry, the item you requested is not available."

Is this book no longer available??

bumper sticker I saw - God, please save me from your followers

#439105 - 12/02/10 10:47 AM Re: The Devil's Soapbox [Re: Delta]
SomethingLikEvil Offline
CoS Member

TheVulture, Prometheus, thank you both for your generous reviews.

Ferocious Beast, the book has been put up again and can be found here: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/th..._shelf/center/1

#439335 - 12/04/10 11:18 AM Re: The Devil's Soapbox [Re: SomethingLikEvil]
Prometheus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Germany
My pleasure! coopdevil

HAIL SATAN!

Prometheus

Moderator:  Quaark 

Forum Stats
12199 Members
73 Forums
43982 Topics